Reasons to celebrate…. GaDawgFan’s Spring Break Trip Report

When I clicked on your picture, it took me to the video just fine earlier.  Love tadpoles.  My boys saved tadpoles one year from a puddle in our corn field.  We brought them up to our pond.  Turned out they were TOAD tadpoles and not frog tadpoles.  All these little teeny tiny toads jumping all over the yard.  Glad they didn't drown.

It is turning out to be a great birthday.  Will you plan my 45th?  It is this year.  I would love a birthday like Z's.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was sweet he got the picture.   It will be nice to have when he's 18 and asks you if you ever dropped him on his head.   You can tell him "No, but there was this time we walked you to the top of th

Im glad he liked the video. I was worried because that was the first video I had ever taken on my phone, so I didn't know how it would turn out. I sent it while on my break and Minnie Mouse helped me send it via text message. She is high tech like that.

When I clicked on your picture, it took me to the video just fine earlier.  Love tadpoles.  My boys saved tadpoles one year from a puddle in our corn field.  We brought them up to our pond.  Turned out they were TOAD tadpoles and not frog tadpoles.  All these little teeny tiny toads jumping all over the yard.  Glad they didn't drown.

It is turning out to be a great birthday.  Will you plan my 45th?  It is this year.  I would love a birthday like Z's.

Sure, I'll plan it! I LOVE planning things. It's a sickness. Can I come too?

Im glad he liked the video. I was worried because that was the first video I had ever taken on my phone, so I didn't know how it would turn out. I sent it while on my break and Minnie Mouse helped me send it via text message. She is high tech like that.

Thanks again for making his birthday EXTRA special. Everyone at his school got to hear about the Ariel video today, and he was so mad I didn't bring my phone in to show them. I will in the morning, of course. The Minnie part makes it even better!

Let’s move on to the Backyard BBQ. It gets a bad/mixed wrap, but I highly recommend it if you have young kids. Z and his friend have been talking about it since last year, and that says something. It is outside, so I wouldn’t do it in July.

The event starts at 6:30, but it’s important to arrive early for a few reasons. First, you get the better seats. Despite what they say about all seats being good, you want to sit around the main dance floor. Second, there is a character meet and greet with Goofy, Chip, and Dale if you arrive early.

I suggest bringing a small cooler. And cowboy hats for the kids.

The entrance of the Backyard BBQ is the old River Country entrance.

CB4D257A-31DE-43BC-B840-1CBAB7BBEDCA-802

The boys wanted to act like birds.

5FE0D8DF-F599-4DFE-9F67-B4A51EA0F102-802

There are plenty of things to keep the kids busy while you wait.

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Once seated, you have hosts for the show which includes singing, dancing, and rope tricks.

IMG_1030.jpg

Here’s the scene.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

Now it’s on to the food! One bonus of the Backyard BBQ is that beer and wine are included!

IMG_1028.jpg

It’s an all-you-can eat buffet. There’s salad, bread, sides, hot dogs, burgers, BBQ, and ribs. My advice is to skip the hot dogs and hamburgers and go for the sides and ribs.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

My first plate

IMG_1026.jpg

It looks like the cake and dancing pictures will be another update…..

The cowboy hats I understand, but why the small cooler?

Great update!  We've never been to the Backyard BBQ.  If they had it when my girls were Z's age, we would have been all over it.  But, River Country was still open when my girls were Z's age.

TCD

A small cooler, so you have beverages while you wait. :)

Yeah, your girls are too old for it, and it's not something I would do with just adults. But someday in the very distant future..... you'll be a..... oh I won't say it. Then, you can go.

A small cooler, so you have beverages while you wait. :)

Yeah, your girls are too old for it, and it's not something I would do with just adults. But someday in the very distant future..... you'll be a..... oh I won't say it. Then, you can go.

Oh, like tailgating!  Nice!

I don't care if you say it- I look forward to being a grandparent some day.  And I hope it's not too far off in the distance.  But a litle bit in the distance would be good.

TCD

Oh, like tailgating!  Nice!

I don't care if you say it- I look forward to being a grandparent some day.  And I hope it's not too far off in the distance.  But a litle bit in the distance would be good.

TCD

I think you will make an awesome grandfather. And you will get to relive the joy of seeing Disney through the eyes of a small child again. It's good stuff.

That food looks pretty good.  We've never done it, as I never wanted to spend that kind of money on a picnic.  But it looks like we should do it sometime.  My younger kids would like it, and unlimited ribs and beer is up my alley. 

You should REALLY do it. The character interaction is awesome. The younger ladies would love it.

We left off with food. I should mention that this was an awesome experience for my gluten free friend. They went over everything she could eat and offered her additional choices.

At that point the buffet stayed open, but there was a break in entertainment, so Z decided that he needed to go see “his girl.” Now don’t tell Ariel this part, but it had not gone unnoticed by Z that the singer from last year that he liked was here again.

Backyard BBQ 2012 photo

Zsinger2012.jpg

He wanted to go see her. So we did.

92CD55F1-EFB4-4DC3-9294-EE7A7C6DE859-855

B0A3FF9B-365B-4275-8EB8-EE70469F7CE9-855

She doesn’t look all that excited in the pictures, but she was really sweet and great with Z.

After the break, the dancing with characters started. It’s hard to get good pictures, but here are some. The characters dance with the crowd and also do dances on their own.

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

We got Z a birthday cake. The bonus was that “his girl” knew it was his birthday, so when they sang Happy Birthday to everyone, she made a big deal out of him.

IMG_1067.jpg

The event ended with unlimited Mickey bars and other frozen treats. Of course, they boys had already had cake, but it was Z’s birthday, so load on the sugar!!!

IMG_1051.jpg

A few of those bars “might” have ended up coming back to the RV with us.

Later that night, we did some looping, watched the fireworks on the beach, and met the thegooftroupfla family.

Tomorrow was Easter Sunday, and the Fort had lots of activities planned.

I had the same thought about the cooler....Mickey bars! 

That reminds me of my Grandma.  Back in the day, if one of us mentioned going to Ponderosa (which had an all you can eat buffet), she would immediately run to her bedroom to get her BIG handbag, and grab some ziploc bags.  She'd stuff food into bags and practically have enough to eat for the week.  I was always mortified at the time, but looking back I laugh.  I miss that woman. 

I had the same thought about the cooler....Mickey bars! 

That reminds me of my Grandma.  Back in the day, if one of us mentioned going to Ponderosa (which had an all you can eat buffet), she would immediately run to her bedroom to get her BIG handbag, and grab some ziploc bags.  She'd stuff food into bags and practically have enough to eat for the week.  I was always mortified at the time, but looking back I laugh.  I miss that woman. 

That wasn't my original intent, but.....

Actually, I walked out with mine in my hand and the leftover cake in the other. If anyone had said anything, which they didn't, I would have told them that none of the adults in the party had eaten any since we had eaten the cake. We were saving them for later. :)

The barbecue looked like so much fun!  Am looking forward to hearing about the Easter activities.

They're up next.... later tonight or tomorrow.

Hey I made the trip report. Woo hoo

You did! It was great to meet you!

Z knows what he likes.

Good lookin' women and good food.

The BBQ looked like a lot of fun!

Good job saving the Mickey bars from being wasted.

Looking forward to more.

Ribs, Mickey, and a pretty lady. Z was in heaven!

Kelly love the TR, wish I had more time to spend with you. Z is soooo cute.

Dave - we had a name for what your Grandmother did in the Catskill resort hotels where Rich and I worked it was called for-later. All the old woman would pack their bags with leftover food for-later. My best girlfriend's Grandmother owned the hotel and she would take food in her bag for-later. The funny part of all this is that in the Catskills you got 3 meals with your room and parties at night that had food, just like the curises are now.

Kelly love the TR, wish I had more time to spend with you. Z is soooo cute.

Dave - we had a name for what your Grandmother did in the Catskill resort hotels where Rich and I worked it was called for-later. All the old woman would pack their bags with leftover food for-later. My best girlfriend's Grandmother owned the hotel and she would take food in her bag for-later. The funny part of all this is that in the Catskills you got 3 meals with your room and parties at night that had food, just like the curises are now.

We really enjoyed meeting you! Next time, we'll have to plan a dinner or something!