How early is too early?

My wife & I just booked our next trip to the Fort the other night.  We check in on June 7th and check out June 21st, 2014!  We actually had these dates on our calendar since our last trip ended back in June 2012, but we couldn't make our reservation for the 2014 trip until a couple of nights ago.  It made we wonder if anybody else plans their Disney trips that far in advance or are we just weird?  :)  We like to go as often as possible, but going every 2 years or so works the best for us because we end up with enough Disney dollars on our Disney Visa to pretty much pay for the campsite and cover the cost for most of the park tickets.  How far in advance do you plan?

I usually start planning about 11-12 months out. I'm a teacher, so I know then when my breaks will be. That said, my upcoming trip is for a conference and was just planned. In a way, it's kind of a bummer because a lot of the good ADR times are already taken, and I can't get into BOG at all. Luckily, we just ate there in April, but I'm used to getting online at the 180 mark and getting whatever I want.

Nope don't worry you are not alone, we have a trip for the week between Christmas & New Years this year and are waiting to make our reservations for the 4th of July week 2014 so just let the planning begin and have fun!!!!!!!!!!

We book for Christmas/New years at the first of every calendar year...or earlier.  In-between trips we book as soon as we know when we want to go.  We don't want to risk the Fort being closed to us.  As far as planning, we are almost constantly planning, whether it be restocking the MH, cleaning the MH or GC, putting in a new mod (currently a flat screen TV in front), or whatever.  We keep Disney near the front of our minds.  :partythree:

Yup, you're weird.

And so am I. 8)

I generally book our reservation (room only) at the 499 day mark.

You probably are weird but not because of that.

Just because I would rather drag my camper 1,100 miles from Texas to Florida to stay at a campground hoping to get a glimpse of a big mouse then vacation anywhere else, that makes me weird? On second thought, that does make me weird and I'm proud of it!

We book for Christmas/New years at the first of every calendar year...or earlier. In-between trips we book as soon as we know when we want to go. We don't want to risk the Fort being closed to us. As far as planning, we are almost constantly planning, whether it be restocking the MH, cleaning the MH or GC, putting in a new mod (currently a flat screen TV in front), or whatever. We keep Disney near the front of our minds. :partythree:

We're the same way, constantly planning. To us, spontaneous is a trip that is planned only 6 months to year away. :) I think I spend more time cleaning, maintaining, repairing and modding our trailer then we actual use it for camping, and that's okay with me!

Edited by NLPRacing
  • 2 weeks later...

I probably have never made a reservation no more than a year in advance.  That is because I feel like so many people do make early  reservations and more than they used to. I know for instance  we like to go to Lakewood, Myrtle Beach campground. Unless you make an early reservation you are going to be in the back and we like to be beach front if possible! Years ago, you could just take the camper and get a spot! Not Now! But their policy has changed , too! So... No I don't think your crazy just prepared! I feel like if you want certain dates, hotels, condos, campsites or what ever,  you just about have to. I've had reservations for Fort Wilderness since last fall of  September 2012.  But.... then on the other hand when I saw  the cheaper rates  for Disney hotels &  free dining my husband and I made plans & took a weeks vacation last October 2012 , too. He had vacation to take or loose! Very spur of the moment for us though! LOL!  We don't usually do Disney as close together as we will this year .Sometimes it may be 4 or 5 years apart.  We had the summer trip planned first with the family.     

The minute I make a reservation, it becomes "real."

I like having "real" things to look forward too.

So, the longer I have to look forward to something the better. I'm an accountant, so I like having goals and achieving them. Way to "type A".