I have never had reason to use the Magical Express service at WDW.

But that may change in the near future.

Let's say I've got a reservation for the family at the Fort, and my daughter, who now lives out of state, wants to fly in and stay with us for part of the trip.

She is on my reservation, which is already made, but we didn't make any arrangements for Magic Express service, and she will not be staying with us for the entire trip.

How do I make arrangements for this?

I know I could call Disney and ask- but you know how that goes.

So, somebody please give me the step by step on this.  Once I have accurate information, I know I'll have to call Disney.  But I would like to be armed with the correct information before I do that.

Thanks.

TCD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All you really have to do, is at any time when you make your reservation, or know that your daughter is actually flying in, add Magical Express to your reservation.  For the arrival, you don't need fl

All you really have to do, is at any time when you make your reservation, or know that your daughter is actually flying in, add Magical Express to your reservation.  For the arrival, you don't need flight numbers or anything.

If you do it soon enough, you should get Magical Express tickets and luggage tags.  If not, no worries, your daughter just goes to the desk, gives her name (and maybe yours, since the reservation is in your name), and she will get a boarding pass.  She can also give them her flight numbers and date for the trip home at that time.

If luggage tags do not arrive, she can either claim her luggage at baggage claim, OR give them her baggage receipt and a description of the bag. One suggestion is to tie a distinct ribbon on the bag, and provide a sample of that ribbon to the DME folks.

Then the bus will transport her to the Fort.

The day before her departure, a return DME boarding time will arrive on your windshield and she would need to be at the Outpost about 15 minutes before that time.  She can bring her luggage on the bus with her and check it at the airport, or if her flight time allows, she can go to Resort Airline checkin from 5:30 am to 1pm to check her bags and get her boarding passes as long as it is at least 3 hours before her flight.

She boards the bus when it arrives, then goes to check in at the airport, or goes straight to her gate if she has boarding passes.

Tips for the inbound luggage service are included if you use the automatic delivery.

If you bring the bags under the bus for coming or going, then tips should be given to the driver.

Tips to the Resort Airline Checkin service are expected also.

Hope this helps!

This helps tremendously!  Thank you!  I didn't know about luggage tags and boarding passes.  How much lead time do they need on that?  Do they mail these things via snail mail?

This will be a quick trip, so she will just have one small suitcase.  I think she will just take it with her on the bus.  For future reference, though, where is this place to check bags three hours before the flight out?

Also, do they figure a pick-up time so there is adequate time to get to the airport and make the flight, or is that something that we will have to calculate?

Thanks for the tipping reminder- I didn't think about that- and DD probably wouldn't be prepared for that.

Oh yeah- on the ride to the Fort- I assume she gets dropped at the Reception Outpost- did I hear something about vans that run the luggage and guest to the sites?

TCD

Probably about 2 - 3 weeks time on the luggage tags and boarding passes.  Yes they mail them snail mail to "you", then you would need to get them to your daughter. Neither is necessary, but can be helpful.  The tags ONLY go on checked luggage.

The Resort Airline Checkin is outside at the Outpost to the right of the main doors as you are looking at the front of the Outpost. (at the bottom of the ramp)

Yes, they figure your pick-up time for you. It will be on the sheet that is left on your windshield the day before.  It is usually 2 hours and 50 minutes to 3 hours and 20 minutes before your flight.

Yes, a Fort van will run her and her stuff to the site.

The times we've done it at the Fort, my family called me when they got close (usually POFQ is a previous stop), then I met them at the Outpost with the cart.

Oh, and DME is on Side B of the airport, lowest floor.  So if your daughter's flight arrives on side A, then she will need to walk across the big Atrium and go under the big Green B before going downstairs.

If she arrives on Side A and needs to claim luggage, then she needs to go to the 2nd floor on side A, grab her luggage, then back up to the Atrium, cross to under the big B, then down to the 1st floor to go to DME.

Thanks, Carol.

The way this trip will go is that we won't know until pretty close to the trip whether or not she can come- so we will probably only have about two weeks or less lead time.  Not enough time to mess with the luggage tags.

But, if I'm understanding you right- I can just call and add ME to my reservation for her, and when she gets to Orlando, she can retrieve her own bag and go to the ME counter in the B side of the airport and get a ride to the Fort.  I'll probably be there to pick her up at the Outpost.

On the return, she will have given her flight information to them, so they will let us know when she should be at the Outpost.

I think I've got it.  Thanks for saving me a lot of time talking to Disney on the phone.

TCD

TCD there is a direct line for Magic Express. 866-599-0951

Less wait time to get someone usually. Have ressie and flight info and you are good to go.

Thanks, Jason!

I figured I would need flight info- so I will give that number a call when I get a chance.

One more question- I assume that if I use a Travel Agent- that agent does this all for me, right?  What if I have a TA and want to add the ME- can I do that myself or only the TA?

TCD

Since you will be driving to the fort, you could be a nice dad and purchase her shampoo/conditioner so that she does not have to check her bag coming to the fort.

That way she would just have a carry on and can bypass collecting her bag from the the opposite side lugged claim.

Since you will be driving to the fort, you could be a nice dad and purchase her shampoo/conditioner so that she does not have to check her bag coming to the fort.

That way she would just have a carry on and can bypass collecting her bag from the the opposite side lugged claim.

I thought of that, but none of the TCD girls travel light.

She is probably going to fly Southwest, so no charge for a checked bag. 

Does anyone know if Southwest is on the A or B side MCO?

You have a good point though- maybe it would still be worth it from a time and effort standpoint to just have a carryon.  I don't fly very much, so I'm not up on whatever the current restrictions are- what size bag is she allowed to carry on?  And I assume there are still all those restrictions on liquids?

TCD

Southwest arrives on the "A" side. It really doesn't matter. As Jason said. All planes land at a terminal then every passenger takes a monorail to the main building/atrium. From the main building follow one of the dozen signs towards the ME. Give the cast member her luggage claim ticket and they will bring her bag(s) to the Fort. It Make sure she puts any medicines or things she can't be without for 2-4 hours as it does sometimes take a long time to get your luggage. It's really convenient and easy. Even if you don't book it, like my FIL didn't do, they still put him on a bus and bring him to our resort. As long as her name is on the Rez they'll get her to the fort.

Oh.

But it sounds like you've done it? She needs to take a monorail? is that to get from side A to side B?

Should I encourage her to just have a carry on?

TCD

It's really not bad. Even dragging a car seat, stroller, bunch of crap and an over excited/ been up since 2 am toddler. It's really super easy. In Oct, including a potty break on the way to the ME counter, from the time we got off the plane and got to our resort was just about an hour and 15 mins. Pretty good if you ask me.

Southwest arrives on the "A" side. It really doesn't matter. As Jason said. All planes land at a terminal then every passenger takes a monorail to the main building/atrium. From the main building follow one of the dozen signs towards the ME. Give the cast member her luggage claim ticket and they will bring her bag(s) to the Fort. It Make sure she puts any medicines or things she can't be without for 2-4 hours as it does sometimes take a long time to get your luggage. It's really convenient and easy. Even if you don't book it, like my FIL didn't do, they still put him on a bus and bring him to our resort. As long as her name is on the Rez they'll get her to the fort.

Thanks, Ray.

Good to know.

I'm sure we will get it figured out.  So, I guess if I don't get the luggage tags before she goes, she will either just do a carry on, or go to baggage claim herself before she goes to the DME desk.

Now I just need to book the flight.

It's really not bad. Even dragging a car seat, stroller, bunch of crap and an over excited/ been up since 2 am toddler. It's really super easy. In Oct, including a potty break on the way to the ME counter, from the time we got off the plane and got to our resort was just about an hour and 15 mins. Pretty good if you ask me.

Well then, minus the car seat, stroller and toddler, this should be a piece of cake for her!

TCD

Southwest is about as far as you can get from ME. It's not a bad hike lol. The monorail ride is always a fun highlight for us.

As far as I have seen all the plains land at hubs and ride the monorail in. 

You two have monorail on the brain. That's not a monorail and good thing for you it isn't or you'd be walking half the time.

It's an automated guided tram. 

The 866 DME number can only be called within about 60 days of your reservation.  They don't have any reservation info before that.

The self-guided train runs from the gates to the big Atrium.

So you get off the plane, walk to the train, then you are let off near the atrium.  That is when you have to worry about side A or B.