OT: Harry Potter Expansion at Universal

From Orlando Attractions Magazine.  Follow the link for the full article and videos...

262406_10151439493417852_2138809564_n.jp

Today Universal Orlando officially announced their well known secret, Diagon Alley is coming to Universal Studios Florida.

From Universal Orlando’s Facebook page:

The new area is expected to include a Gringotts Bank indoor roller coaster, a themed restaurant, shops and the Hogwarts Express will transport multi-park ticket holders between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure where the current Wizarding World of Harry Potter is located. The train will run backstage, but guests will be looking at video displays of the U.K. countryside and scenes from the Harry Potter movies instead of windows.

Scheduled to open in 2014, the world’s first centrally themed, multi-park experience expands The Wizarding World of Harry Potter across both Universal Orlando theme parks and allows Universal’s creative team to bring an unparalleled vision to this unique project. The new area will bring to life some of the experiences and places found in and around London in the Harry Potter books and films, offering brand-new adventures for fans and theme park guests from around the world.

Diagon Alley and ‘London’ will be located within the Universal Studios Florida theme park, which is adjacent to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, where guests now experience Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. The new area within Universal Studios will be just as expansive, immersive and authentic as the existing themed environment.”

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2013/05/08/universal-officially-announces-details-for-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter-expansion-opening-in-2014/

Also just got an email from Universal that confirms and says...

"Scheduled to open in 2014...The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley will bring to life the famous London location from the Harry Potter books and films."

"When complete, it will feature:

• Iconic Diagon Alley shops
  • An immersive themed restaurant
  • An innovated new attraction based on Gringotts bank"

"You'll be able to travel between the two parks, from King's Cross station in London to Hogsmeade, aboard the Hogwarts Express with a Park-to-Park Ticket."

I wish Disney built things that fast.

No kidding.

Disney will be putzing around with that stupid Mine Train, and people will be riding this new stuff at Universal.

I still haven't been to Universal since the Harry Potter stuff opened, but the TCD twins went for their grad night a couple of weeks ago (Disney doesn't do them anymore).

They were afraid to tell me, but they did:  They loved the Harry Potter stuff.  They said it blows Disney away.

I said fine, but do they have Magic Bands?

Or Starbucks?

So there!

TCD

WWOHP is awesome.  The theming is on par with anything Disney has done IMO.  The one flaw has been that it's just too darned small.  It's really hard to just wander around and take it all in when you're virtually shoulder-to-shoulder with people, even on a relatively slow day.

I'm excited for this project.  I think Diagon Alley has a lot of potential for coolness... and of course more MERCHANDISING!

Add in the major expansion going on for the Simpsons area, the new Transformers attraction opening soon, and the Universal Studios side of UO is getting a major and much needed shot in the arm.

Guess I need to budget for a few days there in 2014.  :)

I found the Harry Potter area to be as well themed as anything Disney has produced, the ride I felt was superior as far as special effects. The fact that the dragon is still operating puts Disney to shame, considering they still have disco yeti and are making no effort to repair him.

I found the Harry Potter area to be as well themed as anything Disney has produced, the ride I felt was superior as far as special effects. The fact that the dragon is still operating puts Disney to shame, considering they still have disco yeti and are making no effort to repair him.

Yup.  The TCD twins said both the Harry Potter ride and the Rip Roarin Rollercoaster, or whatever it's called, pone anything at Disney.

The sad thing is we went on Soarin' about a week after they rode the Harry Potter ride. Soarin' has that filthy film with all the dust or whatever on it ruining the whole effect.  The girls said the Harry Potter ride technology was flawless.

But, as I said, I am not worried, Disney has Magic Bands and Starbucks.  Why would anyone want to go anywhere else?

TCD

...the Rip Roarin Rollercoaster, or whatever it's called, pone anything at Disney.

Oh that thing is wicked (here in New England, that's a good thing)

It's the one roller coaster I may never get Brian to ride again - and he's the guy that will ride The Hulk 3 times in a row!

No kidding.

.....I still haven't been to Universal since the Harry Potter stuff opened.....

TCD

Me either

... It's really hard to just wander around and take it all in when you're virtually shoulder-to-shoulder with people, even on a relatively slow day....

And this is the reason why

The theme of it is on par for Disney stuff, but the whole experience is not very good in my opinion.  The ride was cool, but I don't wait 2 hrs for rides.  We got in because our friends son is Autistic and can't wait in lines.

The butter beer was good.  The whole place was way to small to be enjoyable.  We went in to a shop which I was excited about and it was like being in a very very popular dance club.   We were shoulder to shoulder, my wife just walked right out.  Also for islands of Adventure, we think the rest of the park stinks, so we paid 70 bucks to go to essentially a tiny theme park that was too overloaded.

Oh by the way don't go on a hot sunny day there is pretty much no shade when waiting in lines.

I have not been to the Universal side of the parks, so I don't know there.

I think Disney does almost or just as good themes, but they know how to make it enjoyable.  Authentic don't mean crap if I can't see it and enjoy it.

Dan

p.s. Yes I am biased towards Disney for full disclosure.  I will overlook things at Disney because I go there for nostalgia for my childhood as well. 

Planning a Disney vaca next summer (horrible heat but that's when we have to go)  I have been waiting for the kids to be old enough to fully enjoy US.  Sounds like fun and can't wait to take the kiddos.  Love the HP series, lost track of how many times we have seen the movies and read each book at least twice.  All time favorite series!!

Until Uni starts selling a non-expiring multi-day ticket again, I doubt I'll be back.  It's only a one-day excursion for me every couple of years.  And a 1-day two-park ticket is way too much money for me. (Considering 1-day now costs more than I originally paid for the 4-day non-expiring two-park tickets I bought a few years ago).

A one day, two park ticket is $123. Yikes! Like WDW, the longer the ticket, the cheaper each day is. A two day ticket is $140, a three day ticket is $153. They have a special now of 3rd day free when you purchase a two day ticket. That saves you a whole $13. Maybe enough to cover lunch.

A one day, two park ticket is $123. Yikes! Like WDW, the longer the ticket, the cheaper each day is. A two day ticket is $140, a three day ticket is $153. They have a special now of 3rd day free when you purchase a two day ticket. That saves you a whole $13. Maybe enough to cover lunch.

I have noticed that they offer a lot of discounts, though.  It seems like there is always something about Universal on Coke cans around here.

Also, through AAA, Florida Residents can get an annual pass for both parks with no block out dates for something like $172. That is way, way cheaper than Disney.

TCD

A new article with a lot more details, artwork, video and an interview with someone integral to the Harry Potter Diagon Alley expansion project has been posted to Inside the Magic...

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/05/closer-look-diagon-alley-secrets-sizes-details-and-dragons-revealed-for-harry-potter-expansion-at-universal-orlando/

More from Inside the Magic...

When Universal Orlando surprised the world last week by announcing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley for the Universal Studios Florida theme park, some details remained a mystery. Even in our exclusive interview with executive creative director Thierry Coup, an opening date for the new area could not be narrowed down beyond the vague 2014 timeframe.

Moreover, logistics were not yet clear of how guests would have (and pay for) the opportunity to ride the Hogwarts Express train between each half of the Wizarding World, split among two Universal Orlando other parks, each requiring admission.

But today Universal Orlando began to survey select fans online, revealing some new information about Diagon Alley and proposing several scenarios for how the Hogwarts Express train system will work.

Parkscope first reported on the survey, sharing screenshots of questions asked as Universal begans to work out the details.

Opening Date…?

Universal Orlando’s online survey flat out states that the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will open in the summer of 2014. If true, that’s certainly a more specific timeframe than just “2014″ as announced last week.

And it’s not surprising either, considering the original Wizarding World opened on June 17, 2010 and next month Universal will be opening Transformers: The Ride 3D on June 20, 2013.

So it’s possible we’ll see an opening date for Diagon Alley some time around June 20, 2014 (maybe June 18 or 19… or maybe even July…) – but by no means is that confirmed and certainly not announced. (In fact, Universal probably hasn’t even set a firm date yet.)

Hogwarts Express tickets

From the survey details, Universal is considering many factors that will complicate exactly how the Hogwarts Express train system will work. With the immense popularity of the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal is forced to consider the possibility that guests may board the Hogwarts Express and not be able to get off directly into either land – Hogsmeade Village or Diagon Alley – as a result of overcrowding. Likewise, there may be guests who simply want to take multiple / round trips on the train.

With the Hogwarts Express connecting two parks, a park-to-park ticket will surely be required to board in one and get off in the other. But Universal is considering round trip options for those who only want to visit a single park. After all, there will surely be some visitors who have already seen the original Wizarding World and simply want to take in all that is new without paying for admission to a second park.

In other words, there are no firm details have been announced for Hogwarts Express ticketing because Universal is still sorting them out.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/05/wizarding-world-diagon-alley-opening-date-and-hogwarts-express-ticket-details-explored-in-universal-orlando-survey/