So we are searching for a pop up but a few people have told us to skip the pop up and just get a TT. We will use my dad's truck to haul it (he has an F250) I forget what's it's capable of pulling, but more than we can afford lol. So our question is how old is too old? New is not an option, so it has to be used. Must have a/c, bathroom, shower, and be capable of sleeping at least 6 and have room for a pack and play. 

We found a 24' prowler for $3500 and it's a 2001. At what point do PUP or TT become too old and run the risk of too many problems?

Depends solely on how it's been treated and stored. I've seen twenty year old rigs that look great and seen 5 year old rigs that I wouldn't pay a grand to own. You need to learn how to pick one apart visually. You can hide some stuff from the untrained eye.

He covered it right there.

Also, a lot depends on how adventurous/handy you are with repairs.  

But even with a newer unit.  Check every inch of it for soft floors, soft walls, discoloration anywhere. Check all the systems. Check for delamination (bumps in the walls/ceiling)

Check the age of the tires. Have the bearings repacked ASAP unless the previous owner has documentation of when they were packed last.

Cushions/curtains/blinds are an easy recover, replace.

An entire floor is not.

Usually nasty, outdated carpet can be ripped up pretty easily.

Floating laminate is pretty easy to lay in the floor.

From experience a converter/inverter is pretty easy to replace.

Our experience with getting used but please keep in mind our TT was really really old, hadn't been used in probably 10 years, was remarkably original in condition, and we full time rved in it for a year (so no house mortgage to pay).

We bought an 1971 Airstream for our first TT.  Just like stated above it depends on your level of handiness.  We had to scrub it with orange oil and a black n decker battery operated scrubber it was so dirty.  The floor had to be fixed/replaced.  The fridge was kaput but most of the other electrical/applianced worked for a time.  However, we were constantly doing repairs/replacing things.  Our monthly budget for repairs, remember we lived in it so there was often no "well that can wait till I have the money", was as much or less than the cost of the note on our new TT.

I agree with the consensus, it's just depends on how it's been cared for, we just bought a  2013 Hybrid and damn if I dont have to replace a tire before Stone Mountain..

That's because a lot of mfg are useing cheap Chinese tires that do not hold up well, we have American made Goodyear Tires on our unit and are on our 4th season.

Our 25 year old Airstream was in excellent condition when we got rid of it to buy the moho.  Everything was in good working condition, AC and fridge had been replaced.

20+ isn't too old if it was a quality unit to begin with.  Quality being the key word.

Depending on your area, don't be afraid to low ball on the big TTs. In my area, we have some local farmers but majority of the county commutes into DC or south to the Navy base. Since the gas crunch, people have been selling the big trucks to buy fuel efficent cars for the comute. Thus there is an excess of large heavy TT and Toyhaulers. While the small popups and light (F150 sized) sell quickly.  Example, a large Coleman popup with the slide out, was placed next to the park and ride lot early friday moring, by the time my dad steped off the buss the new owner was hoking it up.

The advice given here is dead on. Every time something breaks in my TT, I improve where possible. So, if something in the plumbing broke, I replace with the best quality parts available. I do it because I want to minimize any wasted vacation time spent repairing. For the next owner of my TT, they will benefit and not even know it. However, I have several friends that rely heavily on the "just get it done" philosophy. I wouldn't buy a used huffy bike from them. :)

The advice given here is dead on. Every time something breaks in my TT, I improve where possible. So, if something in the plumbing broke, I replace with the best quality parts available. I do it because I want to minimize any wasted vacation time spent repairing. For the next owner of my TT, they will benefit and not even know it. However, I have several friends that rely heavily on the "just get it done" philosophy. I wouldn't buy a used huffy bike from them. :)

That seems low for an F250, whats the year on it?

We bought a used 2006 Jayco 29BHS that is in great shape (yay! Craig's list), just needed a few things done.  The first thing we did was take it in for a full systems check.  Had to get some things cleaned out but it was in solid shape.  It was also many thousand cheaper than the same model at the dealer, even after we added up the new tires, system check, and other misc. items we knew should be addressed when we bought it.  Our had all the trim in place, paint was in good shape, interior was clean and orderly and it didn't stink inside.  Bearings are getting packed this week, should have done this when we got it but I'm really good at some aspects of RV'ing and still learning a lot more.

Here is a link to the 2003 Ford Towing Guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2003/2003_default.asp

Page 13 is your hitch/receiver ratings.

Page 19 is the towing capacities.

If I am reading it right the truck should be a 5.4L SEFI V8 Supercab 4x4, it's the only one that comes in with a 7100 rating.  Engine seems to be the biggest factor in the tow ratings for the 03 250's.

I would be very comfortable buying a well maintained 2001 TT.  There are only a few manufacturers of certain components such as the furnace, a/c, stove, etc and all can be replaced with current units.  The same goes for brakes, wheel bearings, and chassis parts.

Most of the plumbing and electrical wiring and lights can be found at places like Home Depot and auto parts stores.  You can source carpeting, cabinet parts and furniture easily, too.

The biggest fear on a used unit is water intrusion.  Small roof or window leaks can cause catastrophic damage causing rot and delamination.  Carefully inspect the roof, sides (inside and out) for any water staining (and moldy smells) and the sides for fiberglass delamination.  Look inside cabinets, too where they attach to the sides/roof for water stains.  Water damage inside the walls may be hidden and cost huge bucks to repair.

If there doesn't appear to be water damage, you may have found a great TT.  My first RV was a 1973 Travel Mate 21' Class A that I bought in 1993.  Even at twenty years old, I was able to easily find parts to keep it running in good condition.  It can be done.   

Best of luck in your search!

• 3 months later...

Need some expert advice.

Going to check out an 89 Coleman pop up this week.  Haven't had a lot of communication with the owner yet, he's out of town.. He says it's been high and dry for the last 10 + years.  Says he has the title and that the tires hold air ( I know they will need to be replaced, just want them to last until I can get it home about 30 miles).

Don't know the size yet, what options it has, etc, just know the year, brand and price $150. 

Besides having to replace tires, pack bearings, checking the canvas, what are other hidden things.  I can look for rotten, water damaged, termite eaten wood, non working plumbing, etc.  We would probably gut the interior, take out the sink, etc unless they are in excellent condition. 

When he says high and dry, I don't know if it's been off the ground on jack stand, blocks, or just in a covered area.  if it's on stands, can the frame warp ?

I know this is going to be a fixer upper project of varying degrees.  Wood repair doesn't bother me, like I said I may take out the water system anyway,  Leaky roof I can seal.  Stove isn't a factor. We have crockpots, and electric skillets.  Deal breaker will be if the canvas is rotten, quick check online shows replacements are in the $1K range.