Dances With Dirt....INC's Gnawbone Adventure

It seems we have come to the last update of this little report. 

After INC got cleaned up and the kids enjoyed their snack from McD's, we headed out again.  The plan was to drive into town to walk around and check out the shops. 

Nashville, IN has a long history as an artisan community.  Accordingly, there are a ton of interesting shops selling handmade items, art, furniture, food and such.  There are also a lot of bed and breakfasts, cottages and restaurants. 

On the way out of the park, I wanted to take the drive toward the west entrance to enjoy the scenery.  The park road is built along a high ridge which affords views like this.

DSCN2398.JPG

This area of Brown County is known as the "Little Smokies", and now you know why. 

There are a number of scenic overlooks along the road.

DSCN2397.JPG

DSCN2399.JPG

Daddy-Daughter selfie.

DSCN2402.JPG

DSCN2403.JPG

Somebody was getting creative with the camera. 

DSCN2407.JPG

Like any celebrity being stalked by paparazzi, I had to put a stop to it. 

DSCN2408.JPG

We drove into town and got lucky by finding a good parking spot for the van, avoiding having to pay for parking like most do.  After getting out of the van, we started strolling toward the center of town in the direction of a racket.  Somebody was playing drums right on the street corner, hoping to earn some tips.  And he was playing LOUDLY!  I commented to INC wondering whether you needed a permit for that sort of thing here.  No sooner had I said that, this happened.

DSCN2409.JPG

DSCN2410.JPG

And that was that for our Little Drummer Boy.  He packed it up and went home, leaving us in peace to enjoy the town. 

Nashville has a lot of little stands selling ice cream, hot dogs, sandwiches and such, like this one.

DSCN2411.JPG

Is it time for an Anna shot??

DSCN2412.JPG

Every self respecting midwestern town needs a big Abe Lincoln carved from wood.

DSCN2413.JPG

However, most self respecting midwestern towns do not have motorcycles carved from wood.

DSCN2414.JPG

DSCN2415.JPG

The artist who owned this shop has a sign asking that if you take pictures on the motorcycle to please donate a dollar...as it helps the carver survive the bad economy.  :rofl3:

DSCN2417.JPG

I couldn't argue with his straightforward approach, so I tossed a dollar into the box. 

But heck, if I'm paying a dollar to sit on a wooden motorcycle, I'm milking it for all its worth!

DSCN2418.JPG

DSCN2416.JPG

There are a lot of little nooks and crannies to explore in this town, down alleys and behind buildings. 

DSCN2419.JPG

Check out the planters next to Anna....giant feet.

DSCN2420.JPG

I'm not sure I'd want to plant flowers in a giant foot.  Kind of weird, if you ask me.  But then again, in artsy towns I find many things and many people to be kinda weird. 

I asked Anna to sit on the big bench and pose for a picture.  She couldn't quite bring herself to sit still.  This bench was too big and too smooth to not have fun with it.

DSCN2421.JPG

I finally got her to sit still by sitting WITH her.

DSCN2422.JPG

Here's an example of the architecture here....along with some nice flowers.

DSCN2424.JPG

They need a sign like this at Disney World.  I bet they'd make a fortune!

DSCN2425.JPG

You know what this reminded me of?

DSCN2426.JPG

Here is a picture of one of the main streets to give you an idea of what the town looks like. 

DSCN2427.JPG

We wandered down one of the little alleys and found a coffee shop to get something to drink.  Even though it was May, it was pretty chilly that day.  INC and I got some coffee and sat on a bench enjoying it.  Odd story...when we were in the shop, Gwen was picking up a huge cookie to show me.  The sign said they were "Big Ass Cookies".  The shop owner saw her holding the cookie and yelled "get your hands off my big ass!".  It seemed ever-so-slightly inappropriate considering he was probably 50 and she's 15.  But he was just trying to be funny I guess.  In any case, we laughed politely and got the heck outta there.  And after we had finished our coffee, we headed back toward the van. 

At this point....we have pretty much reached the end of my pictures.  We met some of INC's running group out for dinner that night, but we had to wait so long for the table that the kids were over hungry, and it was hectic, so I never got out the camera. 

The next morning was Mother's Day, and I was actually sick.  We hit Bob Evans for breakfast and hit the road.  The only pics of the ride home were when we were sitting in construction for a few minutes on the bridge over the Ohio River, of Louisville.

DSCN2428.JPG

DSCN2430.JPG

And this....the last exit on I-65 in Indiana.  I don't think I've ever seen an Exit 0 before.

DSCN2431.JPG

The ride home was fairly uneventful, except for an unfortunate incident with a goat farmer who refused to let us merge into his lane.  He was driving so erratically I swear the poor goats in the trailer were being thrown all around.  I was so pissed I told INC the goats were probably his nighttime company, and that he was probably a terrorist from another land. 

Yeah, don't piss me off on the roads.  You never know what stories I'll spread about you.  So if you are reading along Mr. Indiana goat farmer, the entire internet now knows you are an Islamic goathumper.  (And now I am probably going to be audited by the IRS.) 

And that's that!  May as well end this report on a racist note.  Thanks for reading! 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got in before midnight.  Good so far except reading about really good food at 11:30 pm.   I am interested in your experience at the race.  I have recently dropped a small person from my waistli

Some of the 50 milers running at Gnaw Bone looked a little touched in the head.      She said it was awesome seeing us there.  Which is saying something.  Normally she's running AWAY from us. 

Islamic goathumper... I just had to say it for myself. Bravo Sir! It takes talent to make this girl spit :)

You may have just created another tag there, yourself.  :rofl3:

Great report.  We were eating ice cream watching the horse and buggy get set up.  Hubby said no to the ride.  So sorry we missed each other.

I know exactly where you had your ice cream!  I would think maybe we walked past each other at some point...but my guess is that you would have recognized Anna. 

Great report!  Pretty little town.  Beautiful family.

Yes, you will probably be audited!

Bring it on, IRS!  (ok, not really....)

Dave, I've been reading along the whole time. I couldn't hold back any longer. Islamic goathumper? You win. That will not be topped.

oh Dave will top that... eventually

Ya think? 

I'm thinking that will have to be my new phrase for people at WDW that I previously called jackwagons.  Like Mr. iPad parade videographer, or the parents who let their little snot cut my kid in line, or the guy who pushed Aaron's kid at TT.  They are hereafter to be referred to as IGH's. 

Hahahah. IGT. Classic.

Awesome TR Dave.

Looking forward to future DIT reports and the IGHs!!

Thanks for reading! 

Not sure when there will be another Fort trip report from me....but sometimes I like to write non-Fort ones as well.  I may not have Amish people in mine, but I did have an IGH.   

Dave, you're safe from the IRS...   You and INC had coffee...  now if you had tea?

<-     I used post 555 on this....    Heck Dave,  the girls are worth it !   You're still a lucky and blessed guy...  Thanks for the trip report !

:rofl2: Islamic Goatthumper?  That is hysterical.  I am totally going to steal that saying sometime for some of these crazy Florida drivers...totally appropriate for some of these idiot drivers!!

Dave, great trip report!  INC is my hero...I don't think I would want to walk that course let alone run it.  Glad you had a nice weekend!

Dave, you're safe from the IRS...   You and INC had coffee...  now if you had tea?

<-     I used post 555 on this....    Heck Dave,  the girls are worth it !   You're still a lucky and blessed guy...  Thanks for the trip report !

Thanks John!  And I hadn't considered the possible implications of our beverage selection.  Glad we had a coffee party. 

:rofl2: Islamic Goatthumper?  That is hysterical.  I am totally going to steal that saying sometime for some of these crazy Florida drivers...totally appropriate for some of these idiot drivers!!

Dave, great trip report!  INC is my hero...I don't think I would want to walk that course let alone run it.  Glad you had a nice weekend!

Thanks for reading!  I think there are IGH drivers everywhere, and they are multiplying!

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on trip reports today. I'd never heard of Nashville, Indiana before. Looks like a nice place to spend the day. Thanks!

We have lots of IGT drivers in Texas. Complete with goats. Lots of people eat them here. The goats, not the Islamics. Not me. I stick to McD's.

Missed this TR when it was new. Thanks for a great read.

Thanks for reading!

Catching up on trip reports today. I'd never heard of Nashville, Indiana before. Looks like a nice place to spend the day. Thanks!

We have lots of IGT drivers in Texas. Complete with goats. Lots of people eat them here. The goats, not the Islamics. Not me. I stick to McD's.

I think goat is a common dietary item in Mexico.  I know the goat auction near me is heavily attended by Mexicans buying goats to roast for special occassions.

INC ran another race yesterday...the Music City Ultra Trail Run.  She did the 25k, which is supposed to be 15.5 miles but her Garmin indicated it was closer to 16.5 miles.  And this one was, according to her and others who ran it, WAY harder even than the one in Indiana.  Check out some of these hills...those little specs on the hills are people.

musiccityultra3.jpg

musiccityultra4.jpg

musiccityultra2.jpg

This shows INC on the left.

musiccityultra1.jpg

No thank you.  I have enough trouble not tripping over my own feet on level ground.  I would be that one rolling back down the hill.

That could be fun.  Maybe a new Disney ride?

Those pictures give me inspiration man!  That looks awesome to me, but then I again I haven't run one yet.

I would love to mountain bike on those trails too!

Dan

I know you are going to do it, Dan!  The one thing my wife tells people who are thinking about doing this is to get involved with a training group.  The Fleet Feet stores have groups, as do the local running stores.  The groups typically accomodate every level, and it keeps you motivated and accountable.  Plus it's more fun.