Dances With Dirt....INC's Gnawbone Adventure

Anyone in the mood for a quick, non-Fort trip report?

No?  Well too bad.  Cause the DaveInTN gang had a small adventure last weekend that I am going to share with you. 

You might say that this is the trip to sunk Stone Mountain for DIT.  This was sort of my "trial run" to see how a road trip would agree with my shoulder.  And I am going to spoil the suspense for you....it didn't agree at all.  We weren't even pulling the trailer, as we stayed in a hotel.  But the drive was too much at this time, especially on top of a week traveling for work.   

But despite the shoulder problems, it was a good weekend.  And this weekend wasn't about me at all.  And it wasn't even about Anna!  This was INC's show. 

INC is a runner.  We have both run on and off over the years, and have done some races up to half marathon in length.  I am out of commission at the moment (because of said shoulder problems), but INC has been training since sometime in 2012 for some trail races.  She trains with a running group here, doing individual runs during the week and big group runs on the weekends.  Her first trail race was a local one in March, around 11 miles in length.  She did well and really enjoyed it.  But the BIG race she has been working up to was this past weekend in Indiana. 

It's called Dances With Dirt.  And since it is near Gnaw Bone, Indiana, it is also referred to as the Gnaw Bone race. 

Gnaw Bone is a little community outside of Nashville, IN.  Nashville is in Brown County, situated between Indianapolis and Louisville, KY.  We had never been to that neck of the woods before, but hopefully we'll get back.  This was a REALLY nice place.  But we'll get to that later in the report.  First, we need to hit the road. 

We left home around 1pm last Friday, 5/10.  We would have liked to get going earlier, but our oldest DD had an AP English exam in Nashville (TN, not IN) that ended at noon.  So by 1, we were on the road for the 5 hour drive. 

About an hour later we saw this.

DSCN2297.JPG

Shortly afterward, around Bowling Green, I was getting signals from the peanut gallery that a potty break was needed.  And I was wanting some caffeine.  So we pulled off the highway when we saw this in the distance. 

DSCN2299.JPG

Bladders were emptied, caffeine was procured, and we were back on the road. 

DSCN2300.JPG

As you can imagine, when traveling with 5 girls, the potty breaks can come more frequently than is ideal when you are trying to get someplace.  So within another 2 hours we were pulling off the highway again. 

I knew we were having a cool spring, but this sign doesn't seem right for May 10. 

DSCN2302.JPG

Fortunately, that temperature just south of Louisville was wrong. 

But the time was correct. 

We had entered Eastern time and lost an hour.  We needed to be in Gnaw Bone before 9 pm to pick up INC's race packet.  And we needed to feed the kids (and ourselves) dinner, plus check into the hotel.  Would we be able to accomplish all of that? 

Stay tuned to find out.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got in before midnight.  Good so far except reading about really good food at 11:30 pm.   I am interested in your experience at the race.  I have recently dropped a small person from my waistli

Some of the 50 milers running at Gnaw Bone looked a little touched in the head.      She said it was awesome seeing us there.  Which is saying something.  Normally she's running AWAY from us. 

We stopped at a Pilot to use the bathrooms, and to fill the tank while we were there. 

After filling up the van, I went inside and found where TCD and the Troll buy their hats. 

DSCN2303.JPG

I couldn't bring myself to buy one. 

After getting back on the highway, it wasn't too long before we were passing through Louisville.

DSCN2304.JPG

I've driven through this city plenty of times, but have never spent any time here.  Someday we'll have to remedy that.  But on this day we were just zooming through again. 

Here's a bridge over the Ohio River.

DSCN2305.JPG

I understand corporate branding and why cities sell the naming rights of stadiums and arenas to make some money.  But when your city's arena is named the KFC Yum! Center, something ain't right. 

DSCN2308.JPG

After crossing the Ohio River, we were in Indiana.  And a little over an hour later our exit was coming up. 

DSCN2310.JPG

It's funny that we drove from Nashville to Nashville. 

After exiting I-65, we had about a 30 minute drive to get to the location where we were to pick up INC's race packet.  This was also where the start/finish lines for the races on Saturday were to be held. 

Unlike the larger marathons and halfs, trail races do not attract the huge crowds.  When we did the Music City half in Nashville there were over 30,000 runners.  Gnaw Bone attracts around 800 racers competing in 6 different races; a 10k, Half Marathon, Extreme Relay, Marathon, 50K, and 50 mile.  Being that there were only 800 people needing packets and there were several hours available to pick them up, there were no lines and we were in and out of there in a few minutes. 

DSCN2314.JPG

If you've ever run a large road race, you know that packet pickup doesn't look like this.  It was quite simple and nice. 

After getting the packet, we headed to our hotel for the weekend....the Abe Martin Lodge inside Brown County State Park. 

DSCN2312.JPG

The lodge is quite old but has been updated and is well maintained. 

DSCN2353.JPG

We checked into our room, and before heading to dinner I decided I needed a beer or two after the long drive. 

These were my selections.

DSCN2316.JPG

And a little snack was in order.

DSCN2315.JPG

The rooms here were basic but pretty nice...especially for a state park inn.

DSCN2362.JPG

And for anyone wondering when I was going to post an Anna shot....there you go. 

INC checked out the shirt that came in her packet. 

DSCN2317.JPG

While I checked out the view outside our window.

DSCN2318.JPG

While Disney World has been busy updating their room keys from the old key card style to the new RFID ones....at the Abe Martin Lodge they still rely on the old standby.

DSCN2319.JPG

At this point the kids were clammering for dinner.  And truth be told, so was I.  It was getting late, and we were in a fairly secluded spot, so we decided to stay in the hotel and check out the restaurant. 

Oh WHOA NELLIE, did we find ourselves a humdinger of a meal. 

Coming up....

I'm in!

Awesome!

Gnaw Bone?

Trail running?

This is all new to me!

I'm in!

That is a nice shirt INC got.

I can't wait to hear about dinner!

TCD

p.s.  good job on the cowboy hat cheap shot.

couldn't help myself on the cheap shot. 

Get ready for a gastroextravaganza.

I'm in!

Happy to have you along!

I had to race to catch up... but I am in.

Ha....race.  Good one. 

Hey slow down. I don't run that fast.

Ok who am I kidding. I don't run at all.

I will be here trailing behind.

ha...trailing.  Another good one.  You ladies are on fire today. 

I WAS THERE!!!

We camped on Buffalo Ridge and saw all kinds of runners.  Nashville was lots of fun.

when were you there??  Like this weekend??  Or in the past?

This weekend.  We saw the runners.  Ate at the Lodge Saturday night.

Are you freaking kidding me?? 

INC ran through the campground. 

We ate at the lodge Fri night and Sat morning. 

Next thing you will tell me you walked around Nashville on Saturday afternoon.  We probably passed right by you. 

What a missed opportunity....

Late but here.

Nice job on figuring out where TCD and Troll get there Bret Michaels hats.

thanks Aaron.  Mystery solved, I guess. 

Isn't Brown County a wonderful park?  We usually camp at "Westward HO' right in "good ole" Gnaw Bone..

So Westward Ho is nice?  When we drove by it I commented to INC that it looked kinda shady.  And not in the "sun hidden by trees" way.  So I now assume it is nicer than it appeared from the road. 

So Westward Ho is nice?  When we drove by it I commented to INC that it looked kinda shady.  And not in the "sun hidden by trees" way.  So I now assume it is nicer than it appeared from the road. 

It use to be. It's been a couple years since we've been there. We usually went there on Holiday weekends with 3/4 other couples.  

I'm in!

Thanks! 

It use to be. It's been a couple years since we've been there. We usually went there on Holiday weekends with 3/4 other couples.  

Might be worth a look if we ever get the trailer up there. 

We did walk around Saturday morning/afternoon.  We ate the Hobnob Corner place.  Friday night we at the Artist Colony Restaurant.

Unbelievable.  I wish we had known. 

I'm in.

What happened with you & Miss White? She's in handcuffs again. Did you two have a falling out?  

Yes, we did have a falling out.  I'm sick of her tude. 

I'm here !  Nice shirt !  small world....  and thanks for the Anna pick !   Nice choice on the Yuengling Light and keep listening to the sadistic nice physical therapist.

Funny thing is, it turns out both my beers were PA brews.  I read the bottle and it turns out that Red Stripe sold in the US is now made in Latrobe, PA.  I then assumed that it's made in the same plant that makes Rolling Rock...but I guess RR production was moved to New Jersey!  So now the Jamaican lager is brewed in the former Rolling Rock factory in PA, while RR is brewed in NJ.  Who the heck can keep track?