Life's a Beach! The GaDawgFan Family unwinds at Topsail Hill

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fixed Gwen's post to suit me. 

I agree the imbicile needs to go on Dave's DB thread. Keep it coming. I am really enjoying Topsail!

Just to let you know, I am mentally spending Steve's money quicker than it is coming in.

Somehow I do not think he thanks you for this. :rofl2:

Hey, it's a state campground, so it's pretty cheap. :)

I am really enjoying you report and pictures,.. looks very relaxing. Its been way too long since I have been to the beach.

Glad you've enjoyed them. Hope you get to the beach soon!

Crab Island? Are there lots of crabs?

Cougar bar? Are there lots of......nevermind.

Crab Island.... crabs but not lots

Cougar bar.... Yes and probably yes

Yes, Yes I am.  Exceedingly. :))

Note to self... keep H away from the cougar bar.  Oh nevermind, I may be older than a cougar already and he defintely is.   :rofl2:

It was actually pretty funny to watch.

Today was beautiful and was our Crab Island day. This has become one of my favorite days of the trip. We usually rent a boat, but this year our friends had a boat for us to use. We begin the day with a little snorkeling and then head over to Crab Island.

IMG_8055.jpg

See, it's not really an island. It's an area of water that's about 2 feet deep. LOTS of boats hang out there, and there are also inflatables and rental water sports. Or you can just relax, and that's what I like to do.

It's called Crab Island because....

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

Crabs of various types live there. It's not so many you're worried about it though, and the water is so clear, you can see them.

We swam, hung out, and relaxed.

IMG_8099.jpg

IMG_8100.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

Then it was time for lunch, so we walked over to one of the restaurant barges.

IMG_8078.jpg

And then it was time for ice cream!

IMG_8097.jpg

And that's pretty much how the day went. There's a lot to do there if you want, or you can just float around and relax.

I've never been to crab island.  Looks like a fun place, though.  it doesn't look like it's that far offshore.  Do you need a boat to get out there?

I second the Troll's recommendation of Pizza by the Sea.  It has a great atmosphere for families.  Probably not worth the drive from Top Sail to Seagrove.  But there is a Publix right next door in case you are low on supplies and need to head that way anyway.

I, too, would like to know the story behind the man whose name is on the plaque. A quick Google search revealed nothing.

TCD

I just booked 4 nights at Rocky Bayou SP ($16 per night) just across the bay in Destin (Niceville) for July. We are going to rent a pontoon boat and carry the kids, playpen, grill, cooler and such to Crab Island for a day. I tried for Topsail and Henderson, but everything is booked solid.

Friends of ours used to live in Destin and kept their boat at the base there. We went out to crab island with them a few times. It can get crowded and the drunks can get out of hand on a busy weekend. I saw allot of sheriff's boats in the area when we were there.  

Im not sure where it is in relation to Crab Island, but we took their boat to Hellenback Pizza. The best Pizza Ive had in FL and you can dock your boat right outside the restaurant.

I can't do multi respond on my phone, so just to answer about Crab Island.... You could kayak out there and just bring money for food. There is a place that rents kayaks nearby.

I've seen pictures of it really crazy, but I've never seen it that way. We always go on a weekday. I'm sure that helps.

Ok, crab island looks like something I'd like. It actually reminds me a bit of Castaway Cay (not the food barges...but the clear water, snorkeling, etc.). Although unless they have a Sunscreen Barge, I'd be fried!

I haven't been lucky enought to visit Castaway Cay..... Yet. Crab Island is definitly SC, but it's BYOS.

Based on a recommendation from the Troll and TCD, we will have to visit Pizza by the Sea next trip. I think it's only around 15 minutes down 30A.

I am all for any place that has food barges and ice cream boats.

Z looks like he was having a great time.

He's having a great time!!!

I just booked 4 nights at Rocky Bayou SP ($16 per night) just across the bay in Destin (Niceville) for July. We are going to rent a pontoon boat and carry the kids, playpen, grill, cooler and such to Crab Island for a day. I tried for Topsail and Henderson, but everything is booked solid.

Keep looking if you'd rather stay here. I was checking for a friend and a 5 night stay opened up for this week.

I saw someone use a poll to hold their grill in the water at Crab Island. I wish I had taken a picture.

Keep looking if you'd rather stay here. I was checking for a friend and a 5 night stay opened up for this week.

I saw someone use a poll to hold their grill in the water at Crab Island. I wish I had taken a picture.

I have checked quite a lot. It really doesn't matter too much since we will only be there 4 nights. Rocky Bayou is just across the bay in Niceville by the AFB. It looks looks nice and quiet. For a 4 night trip our holding tanks are big enough not to worry about full hookups. Plus my wife's sister lives in Crestview so it will be convenient for them. 

I plan on taking the little Weber Q and a big cooler to make a full day out of crab island. I've never been out there, but I've wanted to go for some time now. I may even take our expandable canopy out there too. I wonder if there are any laws preventing that? It will look like the Clampetts bought a boat...LOL

I have checked quite a lot. It really doesn't matter too much since we will only be there 4 nights. Rocky Bayou is just across the bay in Niceville by the AFB. It looks looks nice and quiet. For a 4 night trip our holding tanks are big enough not to worry about full hookups. Plus my wife's sister lives in Crestview so it will be convenient for them.

I plan on taking the little Weber Q and a big cooler to make a full day out of crab island. I've never been out there, but I've wanted to go for some time now. I may even take our expandable canopy out there too. I wonder if there are any laws preventing that? It will look like the Clampetts bought a boat...LOL

I saw some of the easy up type canopies out there. Based on the comments here, I'd go on a weekday too.

Today was our last day. We leave in the morning. I hate last days. It's been a great trip though.

Let's discuss something odd. See this camper and screened room for sale?

IMG_2134.jpg

They were here last year in the exact same site. And according to our friends, they've been here at least a month. They want $150 for that screened room. How much are they new? And why do they keep vacationing here for extended periods of time with for sale signs on their stuff. Weird.

Before we leave, want to see some cabins?

These are 1 bedroom and rent for $120 a night. The only difference is where the screened in deck is.

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

Here's a 2 bedroom. They rent for $145 a night. They're not in a wooded area like the one bedrooms, but they have BIG screened in decks with rockers. You can see that they've planted things around them. They will have more shade someday.

IMG_2133.jpg

We haven't done much these last few days, except

Have water gun fights

IMG_8123.jpg

And dig holes

IMG_8128.jpg

Tonight we went to the Crab Trap for dinner. I like eating there on the last night because it gives me added beach time.

Family photo!

IMG_8297.jpg

My dinner!

IMG_2137.jpg

One of the girls at the next table that Z started flirting with. She thought it was cute and asked him for a picture. We will be locking him in his room from the ages of 12-25.

IMG_2140.jpg

So, that's about it. In the morning, I'm heading to the Donut Hole for some donuts for the road. Hopefully we have a good trip back!