Life's a Beach! The GaDawgFan Family unwinds at Topsail Hill

The boy is asleep, and I have all my camping "chores" done, so let's start a sometimes live trip report. After all, he'll be napping every day, and we're here a long time. Might as well do some writing.

We're at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. In my heart, it's tied with the Fort for favorite places to camp. I love them for totally different reasons. At the Fort and Disney, there is so much to do; you can always experience something new. At Topsail, there's really nothing to do. That's nice sometimes. It's especially nice when I finish up a school year.  

The last part of the drive is pretty.

IMG_1863.jpg

We made it in 6 hours. Jason was a champ and drove straight through. Keep in mind this is 3 weeks after knee surgery. He was ready to get there too!

IMG_1861.jpg

Joy! We're here!

IMG_1870.jpg

Upon arriving, I made a drink. I don't usually drink fruity stuff at home, but at the beach, it just feels right.

null-27.jpg

I was a little bummed we were arriving too late to go to the beach that day. But we decided to set up and go out to dinner with our friends who are also here.

After dinner, we just relaxed. 

See this frog and the fly? The fly was eaten right after this picture.

IMG_1887.jpg

Poor guy.

This morning we got up, and I had one thing on my mind.... BEACH!!!! The beach here is beautiful, and since the state park has around 3 miles of beach, it's not very crowded.

To get to the beach, you either bike or ride the tram. We usually bike, but mine had a flat tire, so Z and I took the tram. It runs every hour on the hour.

Here's some rental information for those interested.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

There's bike and car parking at the tram, but we just walked. It's not far.

IMG_1884.jpg

Here's where you wait.

IMG_1889.jpg

Look, there's Jason and our stuff.

IMG_1892.jpg

Someone's as excited as me about going to the beach.

IMG_1888.jpg

Here's the tram and the where you get dropped off.

IMG_1893.jpg

There's a boardwalk over the dunes to the ocean.

IMG_1894.jpg

Crowded, huh?

IMG_1895.jpg

We decided to set up here.

IMG_1896.jpg

Ah, I've been waiting for this for 11 months.

IMG_1897.jpg

Notice the water is rough for the Gulf. It was a red flag day. I don't care. It's still heavenly.

IMG_7898.jpg

A boy and his ocean. Z LOVES everything about the beach.

IMG_7902.jpg

It was a good kite day. Like Jason's hat?

IMG_7906.jpg

That's all for now....

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fixed Gwen's post to suit me. 

I agree the imbicile needs to go on Dave's DB thread. Keep it coming. I am really enjoying Topsail!

Loving the pictures.

We have yet to get to the Gulf and we have lived here for 12 years. Thinking we need to fix this.

In our defense when we lived in Maryland we were less than three hours away from the beach. When I was in college only 30 minutes away. Now that we have been here awhile 6 hours doesn't seem like such a long drive.

Loving the pictures.

We have yet to get to the Gulf and we have lived here for 12 years. Thinking we need to fix this.

In our defense when we lived in Maryland we were less than three hours away from the beach. When I was in college only 30 minutes away. Now that we have been here awhile 6 hours doesn't seem like such a long drive.

Where did you go to school?

Woot! My wife and I are fellow Gulls, class of 98. One of the last classes to have the State still in the name :)

Cool!

I haven't been back in awhile, but I was recently looking online as my son graduates next year and I think it would be a good fit for him. It seems to have really changed.

Cool!

I haven't been back in awhile, but I was recently looking online as my son graduates next year and I think it would be a good fit for him. It seems to have really changed.

It has, but for the better.  Potomac Hall finally got torn down and they built a beautiful new Science building.  Part of Chesapeake's parking lot is now the Science and Technology building.  And where Powell dining hall used to be is where those 2 buildings meet.  New dining hall is way better than powell was, we had it our senior year.  Love it, miss it.

Wow, that's awesome.  My wife is a teacher.  For one more week, then she starts her new career.  What does your hubby do?

My husband is a computer nerd. And he's blessed enough to own part of one business and do contract work for another. That makes trips like this possible. If you keep following, you'll see we're here for a nice amount of time.

Looking forward to more live reporting. 

We camped at Topsail once.  I doubt we'll ever go back, as INC and I both hate the beach.  But Topsail is a beautiful park...no doubt. 

You're right; it's beautiful, even if it wasn't on the beach, but it IS!!! Whooo Hoooo!!!! I don't get not liking the beach. Besides being a UF fan, what's wrong with you?

I will be following along. Sil loves to see pictures of the beach and ocean. I am with DIT though. I can't stand the beach.

Can't stand it???? I don't get it. The beach is my therapy.

That photo of Z sitting on the sand in front of the water is a total Zen moment.

Right? I freaking love that kid. And he loves everything about the beach.

Looking forward to more.

Love the beach pics!

Great! You'll probably be tired of them in 16 days, but they'll keep coming.

Keep the pics coming!

Ditto!

Loving the pictures.

You do need to fix that. No excuse. The Gulf > The Atlantic in my book.

That photo of Z sitting on the sand in front of the water is a total Zen moment.

I totally agree! Awesome photo.

I have already told Steve that it is a place we need to checkout. Looking at the map it looks to be less than a 6 hour drive.

I pulled this up and thought wait did I post already? Although it'd be well over 6 hours

I can't wait to see what this trip report brings. I was looking into the area as a non-camping trip but this might just be a nice camping place.

I don't care for the beach, but love salt  water. I love the Florida Keys, no natural beaches, but the water is beautiful. I likefishing and diving in the oceans. Have always lived in Florida.