Life's a Beach! The GaDawgFan Family unwinds at Topsail Hill

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I fixed Gwen's post to suit me. 

I agree the imbicile needs to go on Dave's DB thread. Keep it coming. I am really enjoying Topsail!

Some people (and you know who you are) think Grayton Beach is as nice of a campground. That person is deluded. But what can you expect from a Gator?

I guess you're talking about me.

While I love Grayton Beach, I'm pretty sure I never said its campground is a nice as Topsail's.  If I did, I retract that statement.

I prefer Grayton Beach's location, but the facilities themselves are not even in the same league as Topsail's.

So I'm sorry to tell you I'm not deluded.

I hope that you are continuing to have nice weather, and that you have a great stay at the beach.

I cannot even begin to say how jealous I am.

I never heard of the Local Catch restaurant.  Man, that place looks good!

TCD

Wow... what a beautiful place and it is in TCD's backyard.    Is the water as warm and inviting as it looks?

Unfortunately for me, that area of Florida is about 400 miles from my backyard.

I am blessed to have Honeymoon Island State Park in my backyard, though, which is very nice.

But it doesn't have any camping facilities.

TCD

I guess you're talking about me.

While I love Grayton Beach, I'm pretty sure I never said its campground is a nice as Topsail's. If I did, I retract that statement.

I prefer Grayton Beach's location, but the facilities themselves are not even in the same league as Topsail's.

So I'm sorry to tell you I'm not deluded.

I hope that you are continuing to have nice weather, and that you have a great stay at the beach.

I cannot even begin to say how jealous I am.

I never heard of the Local Catch restaurant. Man, that place looks good!

TCD

I think you did. But oh well. Grayton Beach does have a great location. And it's nice that you can park at the beach. Z can't ride a bike yet and requires a lot of stuff.

Local Catch is a new restaurant. Apparently the restaurant in the building before was bad. Try it out next time you're up this way. You won't be disappointed.

I love Topsail! We had a great time there in January. I'm not super crazy about the beach, but I can do it for a few hours. There is also some nice hiking there if you enjoy that type of thing. 

We stayed on site 34, but I also liked the newer sites. 

We really wanted to make another trip this summer, but it is not looking good for availability. I think we are going to Rocky Bayou SP, since Henderson is also full.  

I should have applied spf30 before reading!

Jason should have applied it at the beach. LOL. He's still burnt.

The food looks really good.  I have a hankering for shrimp and grits now. :D

I looooooooooooooove shrimp and grits.

Wow! Topsail looks beautiful! We're going to have to check it out some time. Great trip report so far. :)

It is beautiful, and it's not a long ride for you.

Wow... what a beautiful place and it is in TCD's backyard.    Is the water as warm and inviting as it looks?

The water is warm and usually very calm.

It is very pretty!  I'm from Navarre which is closer to Pensacola.  I love the beach getting the clean sand between my toes!  We really have some beautiful beaches here in the panhandle of Florida!

You sure do! We have friend from church that just moved to Navarre.

I love shrimp and grits! 

Shrimp and grits are salted caramel for sure!

I want the fountain site.

What a great beach and still doesn't look that busy.

The fountain site is pretty cool!

Great updates! 

Thanks and thanks for reading!

I love Topsail! We had a great time there in January. I'm not super crazy about the beach, but I can do it for a few hours. There is also some nice hiking there if you enjoy that type of thing. 

We stayed on site 34, but I also liked the newer sites. 

We really wanted to make another trip this summer, but it is not looking good for availability. I think we are going to Rocky Bayou SP, since Henderson is also full.  

For the summer, you really have to book 11 months in advance. I was able to get friends 5 nights at the end of our stay a few weeks ago, but they are staying 3 nights in one site and 2 in another. We've stayed in the older part and still had a great time. Where/what is Rocky Bayou. I've never heard of it.

Since Jason's legs are still a shade of purple, we went to Seaside for the day yesterday. Seaside is a cute little town down 30A. It's an easy and very pretty drive too. Grayton Beach is much closer to Seaside, so that's what TCD and I were talking about when discussing its location.

Seaside is famous for being the site where they shot the movie, the Truman Show and for having Airstream food trailers. The town is right on the beach too.

We walked around for a bit. Z wanted to pose with this half naked mermaid in the open-air market.

IMG_2001.jpg

We ate inside and Bud and Alley's. It's an expensive place for dinner, and it was on the expensive side for lunch, but everything was under $20.

This was our view.

IMG_2003.jpg

I ordered the shrimp and sausage appetizer for my meal. I know head-on shrimp freak some people out, but this dish was OUTSTANDING. They're in a wine sauce.

IMG_2004.jpg

More posing....

IMG_2006.jpg

Here are some of the Airstream food trucks. They're really cool. Z got a snow cone from one.

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

Here's the cute little post office. You can kind of see where they do concerts behind it. I should have taken a picture of that.

IMG_2009.jpg

We just walked around and shopped until heading back for naptime.

Oh man, Seaside!

Those photos are hard for me to take!

That is my favorite place in the world!  Sorry, I even like it better than the Fort.

Y'all didn't do the photo op near Taco Bar right.

This is how it's done:

SpringBreak2010052_zps9e4def98.jpg

Yes, that is me being the dog way down at the bottom.

Do you know Troll from ff.net lives near there?  Him and Mrs. Troll have been known to visit Seaside.  Next time you're there, check under the bridge over Western Lake.

TCD

Oh man, Seaside!

Those photos are hard for me to take!

That is my favorite place in the world! Sorry, I even like it better than the Fort.

Y'all didn't do the photo op near Taco Bar right.

This is how it's done:

SpringBreak2010052_zps9e4def98.jpg

Yes, that is me being the dog way down at the bottom.

Do you know Troll from ff.net lives near there? Him and Mrs. Troll have been known to visit Seaside. Next time you're there, check under the bridge over Western Lake.

TCD

Alright old man, look back at my pictures. We did take that picture but just Z is in it. He had to wrestle a kid to get that much.

Oh troll, come out come out wherever you are.... Jason and I can get a babysitter (our friends are in the campsite next to us) and meet for drinks....

Great campground, delicious food, and the beach ... what more could you ask for!  Great TR!

Thanks!!!

That looks and sounds very cool.

You are really making me want to go.

You should!

Seaside looks so much friendly in FL than it does in NJ.

I've never been to Seaside, NJ. Where is it?

I fixed Gwen's post to suit me. 

I still can't believe you don't like the beach.

Yesterday was a double beach day. We went in the morning, came back to the RV, and went back to the beach with some friends who came to visit. The waves were getting stronger the later it got. That darn Andrea is to blame. Andrea, get the hell out of the Gulf, please. I want to keep our nice weather.

Back to yesterday. We had a good time. No surprise, Z met a girl and they played into the afternoon. We had to drag him back for a nap.

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

Dinner was burgers at the RV.

This morning was a pool time. And if we go to the pool during the day, Z knows they have ice cream at the store, so we headed that way.

As a result, you get to see the store.

null-13.jpg

Activities

null-2.jpg

The store rents kayaks and such and sells ice, basic camping supplies, and souvenirs.

null-1.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-6.jpg

null-7.jpg

It also has free wifi.

null.jpg

And apparently, you can spray yourself with a sunscreen/bug combo. I don't think the bugs have been bad, but maybe they are at other times.

null-8.jpg

Z picked out his ice cream and ate it as we walked back to our site.

This is a good time to show some less-than-ideal sites.

Here are 23 and 24. They are REALLY long pull-thrus. But you can see that you don't have any privacy. One plus is that you are close to the pool. I've camped in one of the back-ins in this area. We still had a great time. I just wouldn't choose them if I had other choices.

null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

Here's a site I WOULD NOT camp in. It's 26. It's actually the first site in a different section of the campground. It has the same privacy issues.

null-11.jpg

It's on the main road. And guess what's across that road.

null-12.jpg

Stinky!!!! No thanks!

That's all for now. Let's hope Andrea leaves us alone!

Pull-throughs are a novelty to me.  We mostly stay in state parks and in MD they're almost exclusively back in sites...

Pull throughs are very common in commercial campgrounds, in particular ones that cater to larger motorhomes and/or the quick overnights spots off the highways.  One unique thing about Topsail is that it was originally built as a private RV resort, and the state subsequently bought it and made it a State Park.  That is one of the reasons it is so nice, yet so cheap.   

Pull throughs are very common in commercial campgrounds, in particular ones that cater to larger motorhomes and/or the quick overnights spots off the highways.  One unique thing about Topsail is that it was originally built as a private RV resort, and the state subsequently bought it and made it a State Park.  That is one of the reasons it is so nice, yet so cheap.   

Very interesting.  It certainly looks beautiful.  I think the only PT I've even had was at Pedro's, on the way to the Fort!!!  Although it appears there are many at Pocahontas State park in VA, and we'll be there in 2 weeks, so I may experience my second...

Very interesting.  It certainly looks beautiful.  I think the only PT I've even had was at Pedro's, on the way to the Fort!!!  Although it appears there are many at Pocahontas State park in VA, and we'll be there in 2 weeks, so I may experience my second...

When we had our motorhome and pulled a toad, a pull through site for an overnight stay was essential, as you can't back up a toad.  Otherwise you would need to unhook for just an overnight sleep.  But now that we are back in a TT, I like back in sites as they tend to be more private. 

Pull throughs are very common in commercial campgrounds, in particular ones that cater to larger motorhomes and/or the quick overnights spots off the highways. One unique thing about Topsail is that it was originally built as a private RV resort, and the state subsequently bought it and made it a State Park. That is one of the reasons it is so nice, yet so cheap.

And why it has a pool, cable, and full hook-ups. I heard it was actually donated to the state. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Enough info on Topsail to bore you to death

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/planning/parkplans/TopsailHillPreserveStatePark.pdf

Sequence of Acquisition
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park currently comprises approximately 1,643.48 acres. The
initial acquisition of 348.85 occurred in 1992. The Board of Trustees of the Internal
Improvement Trust Fund (Trustees) obtained title to the property when the federal
district court entered an order of Final Judgement of Foreclosure. The court directed a
sale of the property at auction as part of the federal procedure to foreclose on this asset
belonging to the Resolution Trust Corporation. The initial and subsequent acquisitions
were funded through the CARL program.