Are fuel prices going to affect your camping or the industry?

Yes it will hurt the industry, again.  It hurts us in our side business which involves traveling to dog shows as a vendor.  We are pretty limited to Florida since we also work at other jobs during the week.  It will make it unrealistic to go from our area across the state 500 miles round trip because it would increase the amount we would have to make during an already bad economy to make any profit.  Going to the Fort for us is about 90 miles, so that won't stop us.  It just seems like one thing after another any more.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it will hurt the industry, again.  It hurts us in our side business which involves traveling to dog shows as a vendor.  We are pretty limited to Florida since we also work at other jobs during the week.  It will make it unrealistic to go from our area across the state 500 miles round trip because it would increase the amount we would have to make during an already bad economy to make any profit.  Going to the Fort for us is about 90 miles, so that won't stop us.  It just seems like one thing after another any more.

Take it to the angry thread.  :heart:

Hey I've been a good boy for 4 days. I'm climbing the walls looking for something snarky to write.

Lil Lisa  - I'll be the first to welcome you to sometimes "Sunny" Florida. Fiends are the kind of people we need here. :parrot:

As for fuel prices affecting my camping this year, I'm sure it will to some extent. I already have a trip to Ft. McCallister (near Savannah) planned for late June. That'll be around 100 gal. of fuel round trip. After that I'll have to play it by ear. Being retired and on a somewhat fixed income (which keeps going down every year thanks to health insurance) I have to keep a close eye on expenses. I don't like to have my motorcoach sit for extended lengths of time either so I'll probably make short trips to nearby state parks and maybe a trip or two to the for this year.

Everybody should keep their fingers and other appendages crossed in hopes this will go away soon and we won't have the gas lines and shortages we had back in the 70's. :rofl2: :popcorn:

It's just another version of my out-of-control Murphy's Law. When gas was reasonable, DH was working and getting even a week off was a major endeavor. Now that he'll be home 24/7 til death do us part, gas prices skyrocket so we can't get far.

The key to whether it'll stop me is in the preceeding sentence though - he's home 24/7now 365 days a year! - No way am I gonna let some bozo oil sheik make me put up with being trapped in this friggin house surrounded by my loving family forever.  Distractions, we need massive distractions... grab your coats everyone... wanna hand me those car keys?  :popcorn:

:parrot:

The price of diesel sucks. We don't have a lot of camping trips planed this year but we wanted to go to Fort Wilderness. But if diesel hits 5 bucks a gallon not to sure we will go. It's just hard to see spending 2 grand in fuel.

Our travel consists of a couple of trips to the Fort and a couple of family-visit trips.  None of those can be sacrificed, but maybe a family visit will be in the van instead of the MH.  But then we have to contend with moving everything we need into and out of the trailer, house, etc.  I'd rather use the MH and cut corners elsewhere.  I can wait 'til April to eat again.

well lets see now, I am 17 miles from the Fort, I get 10.5 MPG so right now its costs 5.97 each way or 11.94 round trip, thats at 3.69 for diesel as of this morning, so if it goes to 5.50/ Gallon it will cost 8.90 each way or 17.81 round trip, I guess I will just have to suffer.

well lets see now, I am 17 miles from the Fort, I get 10.5 MPG so right now its costs 5.97 each way or 11.94 round trip, thats at 3.69 for diesel as of this morning, so if it goes to 5.50/ Gallon it will cost 8.90 each way or 17.81 round trip, I guess I will just have to suffer.

If that's all you spend on diesel I think you should help pay for mine.

We plan on doing the same amount of camping. The only difference is longer time frame for the parks farther away. Instead of driving 3 plus hours and only camping for a week. We now stay 2 weeks. I figure instead of paying for 2 one week trips in fuel costs. Might as well stay 2 weeks at one park we really enjoy. The fuel we saved by only going to the one park can help offset the costs of the longer trip. Long weekends we will keep it closer to home. If the prices keep going up we might find a perminate spot closer to home and drive the better fuel economy car to it everyweekend instead.

I would like to think that the price of gas won't affect our camping, but my husband says it will.  I am dying to go camping somewhere, anywhere, I'm not picky!  But every time I mention it to him, he starts talking about the cost of gas.  Our MH only gets about 8 mpg.  I'm still hoping to talk him into one of the local state parks within the next few weeks.

The fuel prices are definitely making wonder if we will make it to the fort again this November.  Last year it took 14 tanks of gas round trip & at $4-6 that will hurt. We will still make plenty of trips into NH & ME.  The problem is we talk about how much we want to go to FW everyday so I'm hoping to get a bonus at work this year. Even better yet would be if my sister-in-law would pay me back the few thousand dollars I lent her 3 1/2 years ago. Oh that belongs in the angry thread.  In the end we may be forced to slum it at a resort. :rofl2:

The fuel prices are definitely making wonder if we will make it to the fort again this November.  Last year it took 14 tanks of gas round trip & at $4-6 that will hurt. We will still make plenty of trips into NH & ME.  The problem is we talk about how much we want to go to FW everyday so I'm hoping to get a bonus at work this year. Even better yet would be if my sister-in-law would pay me back the few thousand dollars I lent her 3 1/2 years ago. Oh that belongs in the angry thread.  In the end we may be forced to slum it at a resort. :rofl2:

We slummed it at the Poly back in 96 due to tow vehicle issues.  We walked around the Fort like sad little puppies.

It's sad that we weren't at the Fort, but I wish that we'd made more of an effort to enjoy the Poly.