ADRs DONE! Advice/thoughts/help appreciated.

I apologize in advance, but...I'm going to bug the crap outta y'all with all my questions today!! Hold on tight!
Hope you're bored.  :laugh:

Some things worth noting.

- We only have 4 & 1/2 park days but have park hopper tix for every day.

- We are NOT doing the dining plan.

- I'm travelling with my Dad (70) my husband and my kids, DD21, DS13 & DS9. (it's a SURPRISE for the boys!)

- I'm a totally NEW Disney planner, in case that's not obvious. I haven't been to Disney since I was 10yrs old. (Epcot wasn't 

even open yet)

-Right now I'm pretty set on a park day schedule which is as follows:

12/16 arrival at FW approx 1PM.  Settle in, eat lunch at the camper then head to MK for the afternoon & eve

(MK has EMH in the PM).

12/17 MK day & MVMCP eve (yes, I'm one of THOSE suckers! And I'm ok with that!).

Breakfast at the camper then head to MK for the day.
           We do plan to return to FW in the afternoon for lunch/pool/nap/chill out before returning for MVMCP.  
           This is the afternoon/early eve I need the most advice for (see below!).

12/18 HS day!  We plan to arrive before opening to run to sign up my youngest for Jedi Training.  (so most likely breakfast at the

camper)  The only other thing I have planned this day is Fantasmic Dining Package (again with the sucker..

yeah, I know- but my Dad is 70 and he likes to pay more to stress less (and I'm ok with that! lol!)

Right now I'm leaning toward Mamma Melrose for that. Brown Derby just seems too expensive.

12/19 EPCOT.  Right now the ONLY thing I have planned is Biergarten.  MAYBE Kona for breakfast. Probably Candlelight Proc. then

Illuminations.

12/20 LAST WHOLE DAY. AK + kids choice day + HDDR eve.  I plan to try for a pre-park opening ADR for the Tusker breakfast.  

My kids are ABSOLUTE HAMS and will LOVE this.  Then I guess we'll run to Safari/Everest & whatever else.  This afternoon 

is up in the air.  But we will be returning to FW for HDDR 6:15 show on our "last night".

12/21 Check out day.  Breakfast at Trail's End.  Maybe send the kids to the pool while we pack up.  Maybe head to Legoland...

SO.... Questions!!

12/16- We plan to just wing it all afternoon & maybe get quick service somewhere. However- since this is a PM extra magic day

and probably kind of crowded- should we make a dinner ADR or just chance it?

I KNOW we'll want to sit down somewhere.

I was thinking maybe Liberty Tree.  Thing is- I don't really want to be roped into a schedule on this day.

12/17- Considering we plan to take an afternoon break in FW, and don't really have a set time frame, should I make some sort of 

ADR before MVMCP?  I "think" we might plan to be back to the park around 3 or 4 ish.  But I don't want to miss the SNOW!!

When do you eat on MVMCP day?? Maybe a 5:30 ADR somewhere?

12/18- I think I'll aim for Mamma Melrose around 4:30- pre-fantasmic.  I also hope to see the lighting of the Osborne lights (6ish right?)

Also I've heard about some "picnic plan" for fantasmic.  Anyone know anything about that?  Please recommend lunch places!!

Sci-fi?  Do you think we NEED ADRs for lunch? Thoughts?

12/19- Is it TOO MUCH to have "breakfast out" 3 days in a row? (Kona today, Tusker tomorrow, Trail's end the next day).

My thoughts about dining in Epcot is that we'll probably be eating & drinking our faces off all day. So I haven't "planned"

a lunch.  I'm looking forward to Biergarten!!! (can anyone teach me how to Polka???)   :doublebeer: 
            Then probably Candlelight.  Thoughts?

12/20- Tusker Breakfast (hopefully 8AM ish) & HDDR dinner.  I don't know where we'll be in the afternoon, so I've got nothing

"planned" for lunch/snacks.  It's possible we might head to the camper for lunch.

12/21- Trail's End breakfast buffet on check out day. :(

So there you have it!!  Ok.... GO!!   :thewave1:

(edit: I LOVE that this was my 41st post!!)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a member of the Spreadsheet Geek Club, I can tell you that there is no need for a support group.  It is all of you non-spreadsheet using, fly by the seat of your pants people that need help.  So th

I humbly accept your nominations to be President of the SGC, and as our first order of business I recommend we create a pivot table that will automatically separate Fiends into two lists:  the first l

I TOTALLY HAVE SPREADSHEETS!!  :rofl3:

Based on your notes, here's what *I* would do... your mileage may vary...

12/16 - wing it

12/17 - we generally don't waste party time with dining so we'd either eat a big lunch somewhere and grab a snack later, or plan on counter service for dinner in MK. Remember that your party ticket will get you in as early as 4pm (unless they change it this year)  Another option is to plan an early meal in one of the MK resorts and then head to the party from there.  Gives you a chance to do some exploring, and those ADRs are generally a bit easier to get than the park restaurants.

12/18 - yes Osborne lights will go on around 6-6:30ish

If you decide you for sure want SciFi for lunch (or anywhere else in the parks), definitely get ADR.  Getting a walk up in the parks isn't super easy, especially if you have more than 2-4 in your party and want to eat at "normal" meal times.

A big breakfast 3 days in a row would be too much for us.

We actually wouldn't plan a ton of sit-down meals if we only had 4-1/2 park days - at least not during the day.  But then I'd be the type that wanted to soak up as much park time as possible and not waste hours in restaurants.  That said, sometimes a sit-down during the day is also a nice break if you're doing a lot of running around.

Good luck!

You're planning a lot of long days/nights!  IMHO I'd have an afternoon break every day.

We don't do ADRs until we are actually there.  Usually no more than two days out.  Don't like to have our vacation so structured.

When we eat a big buffet breakfast, we tend to skip lunch and have an early dinner around 4 or 5.  Three meals a day, with one of them being a buffet, is just too much food.

My suggestions:

12/16 - If you want a sit-down dinner, Liberty Tree is a great choice.  I'd probably make those ADRs.

12/17 - MVMCP wristbands are handed out starting at 4.  The snow on Main Street is around 7 or 730. I'd probably get a GAG from Trail's End at 4, eat, and then go into the park.  It's going to be a long night. 

12/18 - Can't help you with Mamma Melrose.  We've never been there.  I think I've read about a Fantasmic! picnic plan too.

12/19 - If you're  going to Biergarten for dinner, going out for breakfast also isn't too much.  Then just snack during lunchtime so you will have a good appetite at dinner.  But I would plan to eat at the RV for breakfast and then have Biergarten for lunch.  It's several dollars per person less expensive, and the food/entertainment are the same. 

12/20 - Your plans sound great.

12/21 - TE breakfast is so good!  You'll probably wish you had eaten there earlier in the week too!

Regardless of what you decide to do, I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip.

If you are arriving on 12/16, didn't you already miss your 180+10 day date to make ADR's?  By a lot?

TCD

No, the calculator I use says 6/19.  I think the TA was correct....you can make ADR's beginning 6/19 for a 12/16 checkin...PLUS for the next 10 days of the trip after 12/16.  So Jennifer is fine and on track to make ADR's tomorrow morning. 

First of all, don't panic. Tomorrow is your day. The plus 10 just means you can make ADRs for your whole trip vs. having to call back every day.

Here's a calculator to help people figure out their day.

http://wdwuntangled.com/advanced-dining-reservation-calculator/

180 days is tomorrow.

i thought the +10 just meant you could make ten days worth of ADRs starting 180 days out from your checkin date so you didn't have to call back everyday to make your ADRs.  If that's not the case, you learn something new everyday and.............. I have been living under a rock I guess. 

Found the info on the Fantasmic "picnic" plan, but it looks like it was just a limited time offering...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9409-hollywood-to-go-fantasmic-dining-plan-back-march-25-april-4/?hl=%2Bfantasmic+%2Bpicnic

Haven't seen anything about it being offered permanently.

OK, now my advice about the ADRs....

Be online at 5:50 AM tomorrow. They open up at 6.

You are planning a lot of ADRs. That's a lot of time eating and not riding. And it's a lot of food. We usually only do 1 ADR per day. The only exception is when you are doing the Tusker House for breakfast and then the HDDR. That will work well.

Skip the Kona breakfast and get to Epcot for rope drop, otherwise you'll be waiting 2 hours for both TT and Soarin.

You can probably get the Fantasmic package at Mama Melrose for lunch. We did. The food is pretty good. This might not be available tomorrow. They tend to open the package after the 180 mark for some reason.

If you want a sit down dinner on your arrival day, you better book it. You are close to Christmas and I doubt there will be many walk-ups.

You guys are seriously the best.  

Here's something else i should mention.  This trip is nearly ALL on my Dad's dollar!  He's 70 and he likes to "pay for convenience" therefore park hopper (I got our tix through undercover tourist, so I don't think they can be changed now?) & fantasmic dining package, etc. He basically gave me his credit card & said "plan our trip". 

When I try to email him about his opinions about things costing money he says "Let's not worry about how much this is going to cost and just give the kids a good time".  

Based on your notes, here's what *I* would do... your mileage may vary...

12/16 - wing it

A big breakfast 3 days in a row would be too much for us.

We actually wouldn't plan a ton of sit-down meals if we only had 4-1/2 park days - at least not during the day. 

Good luck!

12/16- Yup. My thoughts too.  Even if we're hard pressed to find a table service dinner- we can still get quick service & sit down. Right?

I really DO want to keep this pretty simple. I do NOT want more than one table service meal a day. I'm keeping those in the schedule mostly for my Dad.

It's really possible we WILL take afternoon breaks in FW since Grampa likes to nap!

You're planning a lot of long days/nights!  IMHO I'd have an afternoon break every day.

12/16 - If you want a sit-down dinner, Liberty Tree is a great choice.  I'd probably make those ADRs.

12/19 - If you're  going to Biergarten for dinner, going out for breakfast also isn't too much.  Then just snack during lunchtime so you will have a good appetite at dinner.  But I would plan to eat at the RV for breakfast and then have Biergarten for lunch.  It's several dollars per person less expensive, and the food/entertainment are the same. 

I'll probably make Liberty Tree ADR then cancel if need be..

I'm leaning toward NOT eating out on Epcot day now, and aiming for late Biergarten lunch.  Do I need to worry about food being fresh?

Found the info on the Fantasmic "picnic" plan, but it looks like it was just a limited time offering...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/9409-hollywood-to-go-fantasmic-dining-plan-back-march-25-april-4/?hl=%2Bfantasmic+%2Bpicnic

Haven't seen anything about it being offered permanently.

THANKS!

Why are you paying extra for park hoppers? You don't look like you're hopping and could save over $350 by not adding the hopper.

Because it's what my Dad suggested "just in case".  I got my tix through Undercover Tourist so I don't think they can be changed?

OK, now my advice about the ADRs....

Be online at 5:50 AM tomorrow. They open up at 6.

You are planning a lot of ADRs. That's a lot of time eating and not riding. And it's a lot of food. We usually only do 1 ADR per day. The only exception is when you are doing the Tusker House for breakfast and then the HDDR. That will work well.

THANKS!  

I  know I'm over thinking all of this, I think it's a legitimate illness "temporary insanity due to ADR stress"  :rofl3:

I really don't want to "over plan" because it's hard to know what my kids will be feeling and especially my dad.  After all this ADR crap, I will be more able to just ACCEPT that we ARE NOT going to see it all, and THAT'S OK!!  

This isn't about eating but since you have your dad's credit card pre-order a photopass CD.

I haven't really checked into this yet, but it's on my list!  

Lately I've been hearing about photopass sharing?  So I intend to find out more about that.

I posted this on the DIS board too (there's that ADR insanity again!) and I'm curious about the different attitudes and input they'll give me...   ::) 

Don't worry... I love you guys WAY more. :heartsmiley:

Even if we're hard pressed to find a table service dinner- we can still get quick service & sit down. Right?

Yep!  If you're not looking for the typical burgers/pizza options at MK, check out

Cosmic Rays, Tomorrowland - in addition to the usual, they have a decent chicken dinner, also good toppings bar

Columbia Harbor House, Liberty Square - lots of different options, but they usually close earlier in the evening so watch the time

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments, Liberty Square - waffle sandwiches

Pecos Bills, Frontierland - new chicken sandwich is really good, good toppings bar