Aloha! GaDawgFan turns a convention into a week-long stay at the Poly

Sorry, I have to interrupt the onion talk with an update. :rofl2:

We arrived back at the resort just before 3:00. My friend and I were a little nervous because the sky and weather predictions weren’t looking great. We had debated canceling the day before because of that but decided to chance it. I knew we’d get refunded if they closed the pool and figured we could at least pay a prorated rate if we got to use it part of the time.

Everyone went to change, and I checked us in. The lady let me know they weren’t charging me yet because it would probably rain. I said OK and went to change. For those interested, it’s just under $120 for a half day (4 hours) including tax.

I think a full day is just under $190. The times are set for morning or afternoon, so we were 3-7. I wish we could have chosen 4-8, but oh well! The price includes the cabana, sodas, water, a fruit tray, and a waiter.

There are 3 total cabanas, 2 standard near the slide end of the pool and one deluxe near the bar. We were in a standard. It’s kind of secluded up some stairs but semi-next to the other cabana. You can see the pool but not well enough to watch kids from there.

So we all came down and told the moms…. Surprise! You have a private cabana. They put our name on it and everything.

IMG_0231.jpg

The moms were excited!!!!

IMG_2496.jpg

You have a TV, ipod dock, resort phone, and a button to call the waiter.

IMG_2500.jpg

All in all, I think you have a couch, 4 chairs (2 have foot stools), a table, and 2 loungers.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Here’s the fruit tray. Does that count as pood forn, Dave?

IMG_0245.jpg

Mom swam with Z for a bit before going back to relax.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

We kept swimming.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Me going down the slide

IMG_0237.jpg

I love that face!

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Sometime during these photos was when the “incident” happened. A rat or a bald squirrel chased a squirrel through the cabana area. Apparently the squirrel was scared and jumped onto our table and grabbed a piece of fruit.

And then they were gone. Actually, they ran in the direction of Captain Cooks. Ha ha ha!

This caused a great commotion in the cabana area. The rather large family next to us had a full-day rental and Mom heard them saying they weren’t going to pay.

The Disney folks were very apologetic. We threw the fruit away, and they promised to bring another tray.

So in my mind I’m kind of laughing. Maybe it’s the camper in me. Squirrels run through my camp all the time. And maybe the other thing was a rat (I was told it was definitely a boy, ha ha), but it didn’t get near our stuff and was gone. And we now had patrols.

I smiled inside and ordered a drink.

After more swimming, I got to have some cabana time because someone got really tired.

IMG_2510.jpg

So I had another drink. That probably explains some things to Katman who saw me later.

I can’t remember if we stayed until 7 or not. I think it might have started drizzling or maybe we were getting hungry, but we decided to head to the room.

Our waiter came by to let us know again that they were sorry and that there would be no charge for the cabana. We gave him a cash tip. I’ve heard conflicting things about whether that’s allowed, but I figured he deserved it.

I would definitely rent a cabana again, even if I had to pay for it. LOL. I wouldn't do it for just Jason, Z, and me (because we'd be in the pool the whole time), but I would do it with others. It's nice to have a whole area to yourself, especially if you plan a resort day. You could arrange the table and chairs to eat meals there too. And it didn't rain us out!!!!

While everyone else freshened up and the boys had some down time, I ran over to Captain Cook’s to meet Katman AKA Jason but not my Jason. He was bringing me a Magic Eraser for Z’s couch drawing. It was really nice to meet him and Sil in person. We chatted for a bit, and then I headed back.

At some point, we got the troops together and headed to Captain Cook’s ourselves. I ordered the noodle bowl and got Z the kids chicken skewers.

Pood forn!

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

Did you check out those skewers? That’s a meal I’d eat! And I think it was under $7.

After we ate and hung out a bit more, we went down to the beach for the fireworks.  I think that was about 9:30.

I like that they light the paths with torches.

IMG_2511.jpg

I pulled our chairs right to the water’s edge. It wasn’t crowded at all.

Not so great firework pictures….

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

We had to say goodbye to our friends that night because they were leaving, and we were heading to Epcot for RD the next morning. We had a great time with them, and I’m looking forward to doing that again.

So the next update…. Epcot!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hija

I am proud of you for allowing Z to pose with a Gator.     Twin #1 wanted to go to MK to meet Louis.  I can't remember why we couldn't go- but that Limited Time magic fell some time when we couldn't.

Score on the free cabana!

If I ever rent one, I'll bring some bird seed to attract the squirrels. Maybe I'll get a free cabana too.  Actually, considering where it is, and what comes with it, $120 for four hours doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

That noodle bowl you got at Captain Cook's is Twin #2's favorite meal in all of WDW.  Maybe on Earth.  We have to go there almost every time we visit WDW so she can get one.

TCD

Score on the free cabana!

If I ever rent one, I'll bring some bird seed to attract the squirrels. Maybe I'll get a free cabana too.  Actually, considering where it is, and what comes with it, $120 for four hours doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

That noodle bowl you got at Captain Cook's is Twin #2's favorite meal in all of WDW.  Maybe on Earth.  We have to go there almost every time we visit WDW so she can get one.

TCD

So tell me about this bald squirrels.... (or maybe they're rats). The people freaking out were calling it a fruit tree rat or something. Again, the only thing that ever got on our stuff was a standard squirrel, and who hasn't camped with one of those? I saw the bald squirrel/rat by the patio at Captain Cook's a few days later, but didn't get a picture. And it was a boy for sure. Ha ha!

Honestly the cabana is a good deal, especially if you have several folks or older kids. Think we can get some of those at the Fort? :rofl2:

The family next to you was seriously freaking about a squirrel? 

And yes, fruit counts as pood forn.  As long as it's not just a random shot of a banana. 

Totally freaking. I think it was the bald squirrel/rat that set them off. Whatever. I'll take free luxury.

So happy that's all that happened to score you a free cabana!

Great pics.  That chicken skewer Z got looks big enough for 2 adults.

What you can't tell from the picture is that there is pineapple and chicken on the skewer, but it was A LOT of food and was delicious. I tried it because it looked so good.

all that happened to score you a free cabana!

Great surprise for the Moms.  Not a bad deal at all.

I can't say enough how much fun it was to surprise them. They were shocked. I love doing stuff like that.

SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!

CVsquirrel_zpse977dbff.jpg

That's awesome that you got the cabana for free; especially since you could have cared less about the tree rat.

Looking forward to Epcot.

Yeah, aren't squirrels just lovable rats anyway?!?!?

Now THAT's a good squirrel story!!

The best!

Man, Z is one chick magnet. I need to make him my park buddy.

I've been waiting for you!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was going to have to post a random Sanford picture to get you to post. Yes, if you ever want to meet the ladies, Z is your man. Actually, if he knew you had unlimited access to Ariel he'd run away to your house, so keep that a secret.

Cabana looks pretty terrific, and if you're sharing it with some people, the price really isn't bad for a sweet hangout for the afternoon/day.

The family next to you was seriously freaking about a squirrel? 

And yes, fruit counts as pood forn.  As long as it's not just a random shot of a banana. 

8008.png

squirrel_zpsb6722d2b.jpg

That is so funny how all that happened and they freaked out.  The DID realize they were OUTSIDE, right?  And there were trees around?

Those pool pics are GREAT - esp like the underwater one!

So tell me about this bald squirrels.... (or maybe they're rats). The people freaking out were calling it a fruit tree rat or something. Again, the only thing that ever got on our stuff was a standard squirrel, and who hasn't camped with one of those? I saw the bald squirrel/rat by the patio at Captain Cook's a few days later, but didn't get a picture. And it was a boy for sure. Ha ha!

I've never heard of a bald squirrel.  I have heard of fruit rats. Too many Yankees come to Florida and plant citrus trees in their yards, and then never pick the fruit.  Enter the fruit rats.  As far as I can see, they are just rats who eat fruit (and other stuff when the fruit is not available).  I imagine they're around WDW, as I see those black poison boxes all around including in the camping loops at the Fort.

So, if you saw something that looked like a rat, then you saw a rat, not a "bald squirrel."  I guess a rat running through your cabana that you paid $120 to enjoy might be the valid basis of a complaint.

TCD

Darn it, I lost my comments. Let's try this again.

Cabana looks pretty terrific, and if you're sharing it with some people, the price really isn't bad for a sweet hangout for the afternoon/day.

8008.png

We intended to split it, so for under $60 each it's not bad at all.

squirrel_zpsb6722d2b.jpg

That is so funny how all that happened and they freaked out.  The DID realize they were OUTSIDE, right?  And there were trees around?

Those pool pics are GREAT - esp like the underwater one!

I love my underwater/waterproof camera. The water is where the fun is!

I've never heard of a bald squirrel.  I have heard of fruit rats. Too many Yankees come to Florida and plant citrus trees in their yards, and then never pick the fruit.  Enter the fruit rats.  As far as I can see, they are just rats who eat fruit (and other stuff when the fruit is not available).  I imagine they're around WDW, as I see those black poison boxes all around including in the camping loops at the Fort.

So, if you saw something that looked like a rat, then you saw a rat, not a "bald squirrel."  I guess a rat running through your cabana that you paid $120 to enjoy might be the valid basis of a complaint.

TCD

I forgot to mention that I thought about the twins when I ate my noodle bowl. It is a delicious meal!

I finally quit being lazy and looked up fruit rats. It wasn't that. Then I googled bald squirrel and found this picture.

Squirrel_Grey_Balding.jpg

It looked a lot like that, including the little bit of hair at the end of the tail. So who knows what it was, but it likes to hang out at Captain Cook's so maybe you'll see it for yourself. Heck, turn it into a free meal!

Oh how I wish you has video of their freak out lol

I was in the pool, so I missed the initial freak out, but it went on for awhile.

Short update because all my pictures won’t load. Our next day was Epcot, and speaking of pictures I kind of stunk at taking pictures that day. Oops! I’ll show what I have though.

Our morning began with me hauling booty over to Test Track for FPs and meeting Mom and Z at the entrance for Soarin. This was Z’s first time for both of those rides, so we were all excited.

We rode Soarin standby with about a 10 minute wait. Z LOVED it!!!!!!!!! He was kind of freaking me out because he kept leaning forward, so I kept pushing him back and held his arm.

Next up it was Nemo.

Z closed his eyes in the picture.

IMG_2527-1.jpg

We were doing things differently than I would usually do them. We’ve never really taken the time to see the characters in the World Showcase, but I wanted to make the morning all about Z and let him do some new things because I knew mom and I were coming back for adult time later.

Next we rode Test Track with our FPs. I’d heard you don’t get to design the car when you FP, but we did. Z liked doing that. He thought all the stuff he could add was funny. Here’s the car he designed.

IMG_2528.jpg

It came in 1st or 2nd place in every test. I didn’t let the other folks in our car know that a 4 year old who can’t read designed it. They might have felt bad about themselves.

Our picture is pretty funny. We look terrible. Z covered his ears because he wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Once we were outside racing around the track, he threw his hands up and laughed.

IMG_2532-1.jpg

I’m with the majority who think the TT refurb was a waste of money. I liked it better before. Now it’s just lights and doesn’t make much sense. Oh well, it was never a favorite for me. I do think all the technology was working when I rode. I hear that’s rare.

After Test Track it was time to hit the World Showcase for our character mission before it got busy.

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

Dave will love this one….

IMG_2539.jpg

After a bite to eat in Mexico (sorry no pood forn), it was time to go back for a break. I didn’t want Z cranky in the Neverland Club.

Some folks were already asleep back in the room.

IMG_2495-1.jpg

My next update includes plenty of pood forn and a glimpse into the not often seen Neverland Club.

I finally quit being lazy and looked up fruit rats. It wasn't that. Then I googled bald squirrel and found this picture.

Squirrel_Grey_Balding.jpg

It looked a lot like that, including the little bit of hair at the end of the tail. So who knows what it was, but it likes to hang out at Captain Cook's so maybe you'll see it for yourself. Heck, turn it into a free meal!

I've never seen a squirrel that looked like that.

But thanks for the warning!

IMG_2495-1.jpg

You have a Peter Pan doll?

Very interesting.

TCD

How ridiculous that the other family made that big of a deal about the squirrel, but score for you on the cabana! 

Heck, I'm usually the idiot trying to feed the squirrels (and other various wildlife) from my hand. They would have hated me.  

I've never seen a squirrel that looked like that.

But thanks for the warning!

You have a Peter Pan doll?

Very interesting.

TCD

I'm not 100% certain it was a bald squirrel, but it sure looked like that picture. That's the closest thing I could find. It's head REALLY looked like a squirrel.

I don't have a Peter Pan doll, but Z does. Ha ha ha! I promise we're not Pan stalkers though. And neither of us draw dragons. We did try to meet Peter one day, but only Wendy was meeting. Z actually REALLY wants to meet Captain Hook, but meeting him is hard. When are you going to check out Characterpalooza at DHS for the Fiends?

Z is back with the ladies where he belongs.

That was not a good Snow White.

Looking forward to seeing the Neverland Club!

She was OK. The Neverland Club is cool!

I don't know what the Neverland Club is, so I'm looking forward to seeing it too!

It's a place where kids can go while their parents have adult time. A lot of the deluxe resorts have something similar (including the Wilderness Lodge), but the Neverland Club is the most popular due to theming.

How ridiculous that the other family made that big of a deal about the squirrel, but score for you on the cabana! 

Heck, I'm usually the idiot trying to feed the squirrels (and other various wildlife) from my hand. They would have hated me.  

Free is good.

We took Z over to the Neverland Club at 5:00. Interestingly, the Neverland Club is sometimes called the Never Land Club on signs and brochures. I guess Disney is inconsistent about more than apostrophes.

IMG_2540.jpg

The Neverland Club is a childcare center at the Poly. There are several others on Disney property. I know the Wilderness Lodge and Grand Floridian have them. I don’t remember who else. The cost for 1 child is $11.50 an hour and includes dinner. I pay my sitters at home $10 an hour, so I think that’s reasonable.

Here’s the Disney link about it. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/never-land-club

When you make the reservation, you get asked about allergies. Z doesn’t have any, but I’m mentioning because it’s important to a lot of folks. Once you arrive, you fill out paperwork with contact info, allergies, etc. Then, you choose what your child will eat for dinner. Here’s the food info from the website, and those were our exact choices.

Entrees:

Chicken strips

Hamburger or cheeseburger

Grilled cheese sandwich

Turkey and cheese sandwich

Choose any 2 sides:

French fries

Carrot sticks

Apple sauce

Grapes

Chocolate pudding

Chocolate chip cookies

Cherry Jell-O®

Drink options include:

Apple juice

Water

Milk

Chocolate milk

Z chose a cheeseburger, grapes, and pudding. I guess he doesn’t like Disney fries either.

The kids enter the play area through Wendy’s window! How cool is that?

IMG_2558.jpg

With Z dropped off, mom and I headed to the Transportation and Ticket Center. It’s nice that you can walk there from the Poly. It’s also something good to consider if you’re an Epcot lover and ever stay at the Poly. In that case, you want to request a building on that side of the property, so you can hop the monorail to Epcot. Our building was in roughly the middle of the property, and it was still an easy walk.

We arrived at Epcot and took some really cute pictures in front of Spaceship Earth. But, you’ll have to wait for my photopass update to see those. Sorry.

All of the sudden, the rain hit. And I mean downpour. We stopped at the bathroom to throw on some ponchos and ran towards our first destination. It was raining so hard that it was a moment where I just had to laugh.

Can you guess where we’re heading?

Oh yeah!

IMG_2543.jpg

Yum! I chose blood orange and Mom got avocado.

IMG_2542.jpg

After our drinks, we made our way to Italy for our ADR. Luckily, it was barely raining at that point.

We arrived at Via Napoli and checked in. A few minutes later, our table was ready.

IMG_2545.jpg

We were seated next to a window with a cute view.

IMG_2547.jpg

Based on Fiends’ recommendation, we ordered a pitcher of Sangria.

IMG_2550.jpg

We decided to order an appetizer and individual pizza to share and figured we could get something at our next stop if we were still hungry.

We got the app that’s cheese wrapped with risotto and fried.  YUM!!!!!

IMG_2548.jpg

Then our pizza came.

IMG_2549.jpg

It was delicious.  And we were stuffed! I was kind of bummed about that because I wanted to order a small plate at Tutto Gusto later.

After dinner the rain had stopped!

IMG_2551.jpg

Mom saw that a Sting cover band was playing. Her and about 5 other people wanted to watch.

IMG_2552.jpg

Seriously though, they weren’t bad.

After that, we had a little disagreement. Mom wanted to go to England, but I LOVE Tutto Gusto back in Italy. In fact, Tutto Gusto had been the inspiration for having an adult night. So I won!

And we got a couch seat.

IMG_0304.jpg

After hanging out for a bit, we realized we need to get moving towards the monorail. Our plan was to head out before Illuminations, so Z wasn’t out too late.

We stopped for some salted caramels (of course!) on the way out, but I forgot to take pictures. I blame the adult beverages.

We got back to the Neverland Club a little after 9:30, and they told us since Z was the last kid there, we could go back to see him. I felt bad about him being the last kid there until I found him watching a movie and on the projection screen, sandwiched between 2 young CMs.

I asked if I could take some pictures, and they said sure. I didn’t take a ton because I’m sure the CMs were ready to go home.

I forgot to take pictures of the movie area. Fail. It was a carpeted stadium seating area with a projection screen. No chairs, just lots of carpet for kids to lay on.

This pirate ship was filled with video game stations.

IMG_2555.jpg

This was one of the craft areas.

IMG_2556.jpg

I think this might have been where they ate.

IMG_2557.jpg

Skull rock! And games to the right

IMG_2553.jpg

Z came home with a whole bag of stuff…. Masks he colored, key chains, stickers, bandanas, etc. He had a blast!

Once back to the room, we went to bed because we had another big day the next day. We had a MK rope drop, Pirate’s League appointment, and I finally had to go to the conference. I’m tired just remembering it all.

Sounds like an excellent evening was had by all!

Thanks for all the great info on the Neverland Club.  Mind if I steal it for an Info page?  :)

Love Via Napoli.  Did you end up getting anything at Tutto Gusto, or did you save room for the caramels?  

Feel free to steal! There aren't many pictures out there. I know because I looked when deciding if we should use it. Their hours are 4 PM-midnight if you want to add that.

I didn't have room for more food at Tutto Gusto, but I did have wine! I was hoping I'd digest, but no luck. I ate the salted caramels later. :)

I have a question. Are the clubs only if you are staying at the deluxe resort in question? Or are they open to anyone? 

I'm not sure if you have to be staying at a Disney hotel, but you DO NOT have to be staying at the deluxe hotel. I actually made a reservation for Z when we were at the Fort in April just in case my dad couldn't come.