Aloha! GaDawgFan turns a convention into a week-long stay at the Poly

Update time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday was an even earlier start for me because I had to be in class at 8 AM. That makes a 9 AM rope drop not look so bad.

Before I went to class, I stopped by Captain Cook’s. I should have gotten Tonga Toast, but I was more in a cheese mood, so I got the bacon, egg, and cheese croissant.

IMG_2654.jpg

Do you see the problem there? It would have probably been OK had the cheese been melted. FAIL. Oh well, I was going to have one of the best sandwiches ever for my next meal.

So I took the monorail over to the Contemporary and learned about the process for the Internal Review Board, also known as IRB. That’s important to me because I’m about to submit my dissertation proposal to them. Anyway, boring for you, so let’s fast forward to lunch.

As an over-planner, I had previously looked at the Contempo Café menu online, and a certain sandwich caught my eye. I don’t remember what they call it, but it has turkey, brie, apple slices, arugula, apple butter, and honey mustard on it. Those are basically all of my mom’s favorite things. And I love them too, so I told my mom I would get us 2 of them to go on my way back to the Poly.

Oh my GOODNESS, they were GOOD!!!!! I’m not a honey mustard fan, so I got mine without. It was huge too.

IMG_2655.jpg

This might have been my #1 meal of the trip, and I think it was about $10 with homemade chips. I could only eat half of it, so it’s easily sharable. Mom and I both agreed that if we had eaten it earlier in the trip, we would have eaten it at least 1 more time. I plan to try to recreate it at home.

Enough about the sandwich though. When I got back Z was ready to swim, but I was ready to eat. I knew there would be tables at the quiet pool, so we headed there.

Crowded, huh?

IMG_0389.jpg

Open chairs!

IMG_0391.jpg

More

IMG_0392.jpg

Even more

IMG_0393.jpg

Nice covered tables

IMG_0394.jpg

After I finished eating, we headed over to the volcano pool.

Surprisingly, there were chairs there too!

It’s already been mentioned, but most of the chairs are in the sand.

IMG_2656.jpg

Yep, there are adult beverages in my cooler.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

They can have nice things at the Poly.

IMG_0401-1.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Speaking of nice things…. Want to see the DELUXE cabana? It’s next to the beach and about 3 times as much money for less time.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

These kids have never heard of brain eating amoeba, and I guess they can’t read. And they have no parents watching.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

At some point, they all had their head near or under the water; I wasn’t paying that much attention. I call BS on the amoeba. And where are their parents?  

Million dollar hair wraps.

IMG_0407.jpg

Z enjoyed the splash area.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

I actually think the Fort kiddie area is better though.

It was time for the big pool.

IMG_0409.jpg

And then it was time for a snack.

IMG_2658.jpg

After some swimming and playing some Disney trivia, it was time to get ready to meet some Fiends at the Hoop Dee Doo Review!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hija

I am proud of you for allowing Z to pose with a Gator.     Twin #1 wanted to go to MK to meet Louis.  I can't remember why we couldn't go- but that Limited Time magic fell some time when we couldn't.

My 2nd grader GD room is decorated as a pirate ship, haven't seen it yet. School doesn't start until next week but sounds like an interesting teacher.

A pirate ship classroom sounds awesome!

I sent my mom your sandwich picture as review, pretty sure her and my dad will be getting one in Oct.

I can't stress enough how good that sandwich is.

That is one amazing looking dole whip!

I agree on the cheese. It should be melted.

Yeah, I was surprised about the cheese on the breakfast sandwich because everything else I ate at Captain Cook's was awesome. Now I want a Dole Whip!

Yes, I noticed that cheese straight away.  I guess you could have put the egg and cheese in the microwave to melt it a bit, but for what they charge you shouldn't have to.  And then it may have gotten that funky microwaviness to it. 

That Contempo sammich looks good though. 

Aaahhhhhh, hammock time. 

Yeah, I'm not big on microwaved eggs. And I was half asleep. It probably would have been better if I would have zapped it for a few seconds. But you shouldn't have to!

The Contempo sandwich is going on my short list for Thanksgiving.

Put it on your MUST list. Trust me.

We used to pool hop a lot to Poly when I was a kid. Of course, it was encouraged for fort patrons to do so back then. Their pool was kicking in those days too.

I like the Poly, but those prices make our 5'er look too good.

That sandwich reminds me of those at RF @ WL.

Yeah, I got a deal. But the place is nice. I plan to return after I get my doctorate because I can attend the conference for free then, and it would make a short trip easy vs. driving the MH.

It’s time to go home to the Fort! I had been looking forward to this evening the whole trip for several reasons. First, I got to return to the Fort with my mom. She was the one who brought me there as a kid, and she hadn’t been back since. I was also going to get to hang out with fellow Fiends, Katman (AKA for me the other Jason) and Sil. AND, we were all going to the Hoop Dee Doo Review!!!!!! Mom and I hadn’t been in 25 years, and Jason, Sil, and of course had never been. So much fun!

My plan was to get there early and let Z play on the playground at the Settlement because there was no way Z would see “his” playground and pass it by.

Mom was worried about her hair frizzing on the boat (common theme of the trip), so we took the monorail to the MK and then hoped the boat to the Fort. In case you’re worried, her hair was fine.

Z informed the boat captain that he had been on a pirate adventure where they had seen a shoe tree and asked him if we would see it on our trip. (This kind of surprised me because he generally plays shy for a bit.) The captain told him that we could see the shoe tree and that he would slow down just for him. And he did.

But I only see 2 pairs of shoes. Did I take a picture of the wrong tree? The last time I saw it, there were a lot more.

IMG_2659.jpg

My first glimpse of the Fort!!!!

b81efff5-c3ee-43a7-af57-a9632efacf86.jpg

And now I’m home!

IMG_0417.jpg

I think I might have teared up in the moment. Really.

We walked over to Pioneer Hall, so mom could see it and Z could drum.

IMG_2661.jpg

YUM

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

Z tore up the playground.

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

My mom decided to go shopping (again a common theme). And around that time, I spotted Jason and Sil!!!!!!

We talked a bit and then Z decided he wanted to swing.

Recognize that guy? ??????

IMG_0420.jpg

I grabbed some drinks for mom and me and we hopped in line because it was starting to get long.

IMG_2670.jpg

I’m hungry!

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

Check out how good our seats were!!!

IMG_2679.jpg

Here we go!

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

Now, a very wise woman who roots for another red team once told me Z would love this show, but I doubted her. Let me just tell you, he was having a BLAST! I always thought the show would be over his head, but he was laughing at all the jokes. So BuckeyeFortMama, if you’re reading, you were so right.

Pood Forn AKA first plate

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Grammy was having fun too and might have been a little buzzed.

IMG_2686.jpg

Photobucket has been weird, so some of these might be out of order. Sorry.

Dessert anyone?

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Grammy wants some!

IMG_2688.jpg

So does Z!

IMG_2692.jpg

More HDDR pics!

I might have told the powers that be that Jason and Sil were celebrating their 5th anniversary. And mom and I might have been loud enough to make sure they came over.

This part cracked me up. I need to get my Jason to play that part next time. And there will be a next time.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

Overall, I really recommend the HDDR. I’ve avoided it because of cost, but he had a blast. When you consider all the food, the entertainment, adult drinks, and that it includes tips, it’s not THAT bad.

After the show, Jason and Sil were nice enough to tour us (and really it was for my mom) around the Fort on their golf cart. She’s still talking about that. And OMG the flooding!!! I’ve never seen it like that. There was standing water EVERYWHERE. It looked much different than April.

That’s all for now! Our last MK visit is tomorrow, and it’s another RD.

Glad you enjoyed the hoop.  I love the show.  Granted, haven't seen it since the cast changes...and we saw it 3 times with the same cast.  I know that "my" cast came after many, many other casts over the years, and that there are many talented perfomers out there so I'm sure the show is still very good.  But sometimes when something is so perfect to you you don't want it to change.  So between that and the increasing expense of the show, we haven't been in several years.  I do want to go back, though, if we get back to WDW at some point. 

Great reporting of the show.  I don't think we are going to make it a must do for Thanksgiving though.  For the money, we can eat the buffet twice and I am only one who would enjoy the show.  It does look like a lot of fun.

We didn't take Adam when we went in Oct because we didn't know if he would like it. While I was nice having a date night, next time we will have to take him to see it. I figured it would all just be over his head. Now I want some strawberry shortcake dang it!

Yes, take Adam to the HDDR. I think Z's laughing pic says it all. I never thought a young kid would like it, but he couldn't stop laughing.

Save date night for Artist Point (on my must do for our next trip) or Narcoossee's!

Great HDDR pics!  Happy to hear that you all had a great time!

You really must force your husband to go.

Glad you enjoyed the hoop.  I love the show.  Granted, haven't seen it since the cast changes...and we saw it 3 times with the same cast.  I know that "my" cast came after many, many other casts over the years, and that there are many talented perfomers out there so I'm sure the show is still very good.  But sometimes when something is so perfect to you you don't want it to change.  So between that and the increasing expense of the show, we haven't been in several years.  I do want to go back, though, if we get back to WDW at some point. 

I never saw the last cast, and I didn't remember anything about seeing it as a kid, but I thought the cast was great. It is expensive though, especially for large families like yours.

Great reporting of the show.  I don't think we are going to make it a must do for Thanksgiving though.  For the money, we can eat the buffet twice and I am only one who would enjoy the show.  It does look like a lot of fun.

I bet you wouldn't be the only one enjoying it. Everyone I saw was having a blast.

Where in the Contemporary is the Contempo Cafe? After mo's Brown derby post my parents have scratched that off their list and the turkey sandwich is now a priority.

It's next to Chef Mickey's. We need to stop talking about the sandwich now. I want one for lunch!!!! I need to research if there's a place near me that sells one similar or try to find huge bread and attempt to make it at home.

Looks like you all had a blast.

I saw Jason in the pic pushing Z on the swing, but actually the other guy in the picture looks familiar too.

Weird.

I could really go for some of those ribs and fried chicken.

Its good to see KFKG agrees!

OK, that is weird. Maybe he was following us because we know you. And I agree about the ribs and chicken. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!