To Lube or Not to Lube? that is the question.

I know a long time ago I asked the same question and have my personal preference on the topic of lubing the trailer hitch. But I figured with the newer members to reask the question to see some more opinions on the topic.

I occasionally spray some WD40 on the jaw/moving parts of my trailer toungue.  Had it goop up on me once and made it difficult to get it to close and secure on the ball of the hitch.  I found that spraying it has prevented anymore issues.

I have never used a lubricant on the hitch ball or tongue socket.  I have an Equilizer hitch and lube the necessary parts per the manufacturer's instructions, including the WD bars, taking care not to lube so much as to eliminate any anti-sway benefits that those bars provide.  But I've never applied lubricant to the ball and have never had any issues. 

Lube liberally. Don't worry, it won't slip out, and it prevents a lot of groaning.

What's a goosenecked horse?  And why would you lube its balls?

What don't you know? If Lars was here, he would tell you that, if something's gooseneck horse is pulling a lots of weights for prolonged periods of times you need, to use the xfactor formula that describes the proper torCk and lube ratio needed. Do yes you need to lube you gooseneck horse's balls. IMHO of course.

When I had balls, I did lube them.  Reese sells a Teflon ball grease that I always assumed was the best thing to use.

A cupcake-ish type would probably say that a WD-40 type product is more of a "penetrant" than a "lubricant" and not made to hold up to the rigorous abuse that a ball undergoes when pulling a 45 foot TT with a mod-ded out E-350.  I think if you sprayed it often it would do just fine.

I use white lithium paste on the ball and the pivot points of the WD bars. For the ball latch I usually use silicone. Although the red and tacky is a superior product I like the white lithium because I can buy it in a smaller squeeze tube. I also keep a tube of general purpose EP lube in the trailer just in case I need to repack a bearing on the road.

Most of my trips are under 2 hours so I am mostly worried about hitching and unhitching.

I wrap a small pc of wax paper on the ball.  I like to keep my ball clean and not get grease all over everyone while trailer is unhitched. 

If I was going on a long trip I would use a lite coat of lithium and be sure to clean up after uncoupling.

Most of my trips are under 2 hours so I am mostly worried about hitching and unhitching.

I wrap a small pc of wax paper on the ball. I like to keep my ball clean and not get grease all over everyone while trailer is unhitched.

If I was going on a long trip I would use a lite coat of lithium and be sure to clean up after uncoupling.

Good idea.Greasy balls can make for messy pants.

most of my trips I left the hitch attached to the trailer keep me from walking into it at the back of the truck. And I always grease the moving parts keeps them from rusting when sitting as well. Now with a fifth wheel I grease the pin but have the teflon pad for the plate. 

I do know that IH does occasionally lube the stinger before sliding it into the receiver....

It's like a car wreck. I saw Nicki's name as posting the last response on this thread, which I have purposely stayed away from, and had to stop and look.

I should have stuck to my original plan.

It's like a car wreck. I saw Nicki's name as posting the last response on this thread, which I have purposely stayed away from, and had stop and look.

I should have stuck to my original plan.

I am actually talking about our Hensley Hitch.  The hitch stays attached to the trailer while a square stinger is what is attached to the truck.  In order to "hitch up" you back the stinger into the hitch...

I am actually talking about our Hensley Hitch. The hitch stays attached to the trailer while a square stinger is what is attached to the truck. In order to "hitch up" you back the stinger into the hitch...

Mmmm hmmm of course...that is exactly how we all read it.

:rofl2: :rofl3: