What happened to resort monorails for resort guest

We had great week at the fort the week after 4th of July. As much as I wanted to take pics every 5 minutes and put a trip report together, it just didn't happen. I give kudos to all of you that actually take enough pics to make that happen. Anyways, on this trip I noticed a lot of things that have changed over the years at Disney, for the worst. I was going to put a topic about all of these but didn't want to be negative on here but the one thing that got to me was all the people using the resort monorail to get back to the TTC. We waited 4 monorails at the contemporary to get to the poly. I remember back in the day you had to show a resort ID to get on the resort monorails, heck you had to show your resort ID to walk from the contemporary to the MK. I guess that prevented people from parking at the CR. for the money all the resort guest pay including us trailer trash, they should check ID's. like they should check ID's at he pool right?

The thinking that you should have to show an ID to ride WDW transportation gets mentioned regularly, but it's not going to happen, and shouldn't.

During peak ridership times, requiring guests to show an ID would bog down the transportation system even more. Do we really want that?

Unless it's during a time when the resorts in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area parking lots are at risk of being full, they don't usually care if you park there.

Now and then you might get a Security CM who thinks they're Barney Fife, but other than that, it's ok to park there.

We had great week at the fort the week after 4th of July. As much as I wanted to take pics every 5 minutes and put a trip report together, it just didn't happen. I give kudos to all of you that actually take enough pics to make that happen. Anyways, on this trip I noticed a lot of things that have changed over the years at Disney, for the worst. I was going to put a topic about all of these but didn't want to be negative on here but the one thing that got to me was all the people using the resort monorail to get back to the TTC. We waited 4 monorails at the contemporary to get to the poly. I remember back in the day you had to show a resort ID to get on the resort monorails, heck you had to show your resort ID to walk from the contemporary to the MK. I guess that prevented people from parking at the CR. for the money all the resort guest pay including us trailer trash, they should check ID's. like they should check ID's at he pool right?

I wonder how long ago this was--we have been going to WDW off and on for over 25 years now and have never had to show an ID to ride any Disney transportation.  We used to resort hop on that monorail all the time, guess we were just lucky.  Speaking of checking ID's at the pool, has anyone ever known them to check ID's at the FW pool?

I wonder how long ago this was--we have been going to WDW off and on for over 25 years now and have never had to show an ID to ride any Disney transportation.

Checking ID's seemed to go away when resort transportation went from a separate charge to something that was rolled into one fee.

Here is a "Transportation Ticket" that you had to buy if you didn't have an A-B-C-D-E Ticket book with a Transportation Ticket in it

DisTransTicket.jpg

And speaking of old pricing, can anyone else remember parking at this price?

DisParking.jpg

Checking ID's seemed to go away when resort transportation went from a separate charge to something that was rolled into one fee.

Here is a "Transportation Ticket" that you had to buy if you didn't have an A-B-C-D-E Ticket book with a Transportation Ticket in it

DisTransTicket.jpg

And speaking of old pricing, can anyone else remember parking at this price?

DisParking.jpg

Great pics Tim. Thanks for sharing

Every once in a blue moon, and as recently as about 3 years ago, I WAS stopped by a cast member at MK closing as I was heading for the resort monorail to check for resort ID. They were not scrutinizing very carefully as I just flashed the blue card and they let me by.  I WAS NOT staying at a monorail resort, but did have dinner reservations at a monorail resort.

I recall back in 1991 we were staying at the contempory and had to show our room key to board the resort monorail. This happened each time over our two week stay. I guess as Lou says there are a few Barney Fifes that do work at the MK. I would say that buses are one thing but IMHO the resort monorail should be for guest only

I recall back in 1991 we were staying at the contempory and had to show our room key to board the resort monorail. This happened each time over our two week stay. I guess as Lou says there are a few Barney Fifes that do work at the MK. I would say that buses are one thing but IMHO the resort monorail should be for guest only

The problem with that idea is that the restaurants, bars, and other activities at the monorail resorts are for everyone. Disney wants to make sure the customers can get there to spend money. 

more frequent checks, and i bet it would stem a majority of the freeloaders. The "threat" that they might get caught would create enough doubt to cause some of them to reconsider. A couple of stories start circulating about how their attempted freeload day was ruined, and they were detained, and the Fort no longer would be perceived as the path of least resistance. There's really no need to put up a fence with a circuitry shack that is manned 24 hours a day. Have a handful of days each month where Disney charges some interns with wristband policing.

I know they won't, but I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

The problem with that idea is that the restaurants, bars, and other activities at the monorail resorts are for everyone. Disney wants to make sure the customers can get there to spend money.

I think just stopping people from boarding the resort monorail at the MK without resort ID would be fine. That's the problem I see is people leaving MK for the parking lot. Never a problem between the poly, GF and MK. When people see the monorail line or the parking lot all the way to the gate of the MK, they go to the resort monorail.

I think just stopping people from boarding the resort monorail at the MK without resort ID would be fine. That's the problem I see is people leaving MK for the parking lot. Never a problem between the poly, GF and MK. When people see the monorail line or the parking lot all the way to the gate of the MK, they go to the resort monorail.

But if I have a dinner reservation at the Polynesian I am going to take the Monorail. I could then take it back around to get my car at the TTC.

As an example.

I don't care how much slower it makes the bus.

You may not care, but a lot of people would be screaming and yelling at what's the holdup.

It's probably ok if everyone has a card, and it's not busy, but what happens when someone doesn't have a card and refuses to get off?

Is the bus driver supposed to physically eject them? Or they call security. It would be a nightmare

It's impractical considering how many people ride the buses now, and it will not happen.

You may not care, but a lot of people would be screaming and yelling at what's the holdup.

It's probably ok if everyone has a card, and it's not busy, but what happens when someone doesn't have a card and refuses to get off?

Is the bus driver supposed to physically eject them? Or they call security. It would be a nightmare

It's impractical considering how many people ride the buses now, and it will not happen.

It could have worked if they'd never eliminated the need to show your card, as that would be the expectation.

However now that it's been so long since that was the case, and Disney encourages all "Guests" (resort and non-resort alike) to visit all their parks and properties, I don't think there's any going back.

I have a metro bus pass from Buffalo.

Well that and a quarter will get you....

well, probably nothing really.

But if I have a dinner reservation at the Polynesian I am going to take the Monorail. I could then take it back around to get my car at the TTC.

As an example.

...or you could go back to the TTC and get your car then drive it to the poly and not have to worry about being plastered against the window of the monorail when the doors open at the MK. I'm not being a wise ass but if I was at the mall and wanted to go to the Olive Garden I wouldn't take a bus from the mall and then take it back. I do agree Disney cares about money more than customer service and if packing the monorails to get people to stop at the resorts will do that, then this topics is pointless...lol

So you feel that Disney can't do both at the same time? It's one or the other?

Never said that. I think they enjoy making money more than giving customer service. You should know Lou, one arm scratches the other

More customer service= more money

Little customer service= still more money for Disney

Starbu71,

It is amaizing the monorail was running at all durning your stay.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

lol that's exactly what I was thinking. Sadly, after this last trip, I may have to **gulp** join Lou's monorail anonymous meetings.

Seemed like each day we were over there, there was some sort of breakdown. Disney is still selling it as an amenity so they need to work at resolving the maintenance issues.

lol that's exactly what I was thinking. Sadly, after this last trip, I may have to **gulp** join Lou's monorail anonymous meetings.

Seemed like each day we were over there, there was some sort of breakdown. Disney is still selling it as an amenity so they need to work at resolving the maintenance issues.

They've been going through a really bad stretch recently.

I think the buses have continued to run though. Hmm, maybe they're more reliable?