Being fairly new on the site this may be a redundant topic, so forgive me, and move it over to the correct forum please.

We first visited the Fort in the fall of 1977 on a trip to Florida.  My wife and I came down in a van that we had modified into a semi camper.

We instantly fell in love with the Fort and FL and moved down to Tampa the beginning of 78.

We've visited the Fort numerous times over the years and have noticed changes, some glaring and some subtle.

In 77 they had the railroad that you could ride for 50 cents all day.

Trams were the king, no busses.

No golf carts.  You walked, rode the tram or bikes

There was an old pick up truck that visited the loops every morning selling sundries out of it.  It had a chugging soundtrack like it was on it's last legs, and when he stopped he rang one of those triangle shaped bells.  They had milk, juice, meat, eggs, everything you needed for breakfast.

The meadow and the settlement  stores had deli's in them and lots of groceries.

Each evening they had the Marshmallow Marsh excursion.  Big multi seated war canoes left the pond behind the Meadow trading post  (there was a dock) and raced thru the canals to the edge of Bay Lake.  There was a roaring campfire going where you roasted marshmallows, had a sing along, and got to ask the Disney folks all sorts of questions.  Afterwards it was another race back to the trading post.

On that visit I don't even think the equipment barn was there

You swam in Bay Lake!  There was a great beach to the right of the boat house.  You could walk up to the Settlement store get a sandwich and a beer and relax on the beach.  Later years when we would go to Orlando for shopping we would take the kids to the Fort, take the tram down to the lake and buy dinner at the deli and let them play while we relaxed.

Later years we rented a trailer that was set up on a random lot.  It was a Disney one, but a far cry from the cabins they now have.  There wasn't even the cabin loops around.

I don't even think (I could be wrong) that there was a swimming pool at the meadow.  If there was, it was a very small one.

You could really see the mower blades in the lawnmower tree... the tree was still alive, and there used to be a sign in from of it with the story of how the blades got in there.

You didn't have to have eyes in the back of your head to keep from getting run over by some reckless golf cart driver.

I think tent camping/no or partial hookup was about $10.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a dump station where the hitch/unhitch pullover is.

Years later, even though the train was gone, you could still see the tracks throughout the Fort.

The trams gave way to busses.

The pickup grocery truck was stopped.

River Country and Discovery Island were shuttered

The deli's and groceries died a slow and painful death.

The killer carts arrived.

The cabin loops were built.

Everything became more corporate and money making. 

Don't get me wrong Disney has a right to make a $$$, but those little touches made it a truly unique place to camp.

We still love to go there, kids have now given way to grandkids, and probably some of the changes have made it easier for our old bones, but i still miss the Old Fort.

Great post, Travisma.

The Meadow Swimming Pool was not added until the mid '80's.

Until then, the Fort had no swimming pool.  But Fort guests were permitted to pool hop to the other WDW resort pools in addition to swimming in Bay Lake.

You didn't mention the Wilderness Swamp Trail and its nice boardwalk.  Certainly you must remember that.

TCD

Tri D, now that you mentioned it, I remember the trail.  My kids and I rode our bikes on it.

Wasn't the original meadow pool small, just a little bigger then the one near the cabins?

They added to it over the years.

I wish I could remember the first lop we stayed at in 77, and the one that had the camper we rented.

There was no cart path behind the 100 loop going to the settlement.

Goof, I was just thinking about the petting zoo on Sunday when my granddaughter went on the pony ride.

Can't beleive I didn't add that.

There's no more peacocks?

Vaguely remember the dock/raft.

One of my biggest adventures as a kid was my parents letting me ride the Fort Wilderness train all the way around by myself.  I must have been 7 years old or so.  I remember having some kind of ID pinned to my shirt.  It was so amazing to be alone on an adventure like that!  My mother told me just a few months ago how hard it was for her to let me ride alone like that.  Wow.  A different time.

I also lived for the trams.  They were so amazing to me.  I remember riding around the Fort until I was tired then taking my bike on the tram and taking the easy way back to my loop.  I can still hear the tram spotter saying "All clear!" before it started moving every time.

There was an old pick up truck that visited the loops every morning selling sundries out of it.  It had a chugging soundtrack like it was on it's last legs, and when he stopped he rang one of those triangle shaped bells.  They had milk, juice, meat, eggs, everything you needed for breakfast.

Here's a postcard of the grocery truck that I posted in a different thread.  I still remember it fondly!

fw_postcard1.jpg

They go great with the tube socks. 

I'm just glad I'm not on the postcard.  My mom dressed me in some serious 70s plaid.  That's probably why I have no shame now, Lou.

Andy, that's it !!! Thanks

You're very welcome!  I'm so glad someone else remembers it too.

The trams gave way to busses.

The pickup grocery truck was stopped.

River Country and Discovery Island were shuttered

The deli's and groceries died a slow and painful death.

The killer carts arrived.

The cabin loops were built.

Everything became more corporate and money making. 

Don't get me wrong Disney has a right to make a $$$, but those little touches made it a truly unique place to camp.

We still love to go there, kids have now given way to grandkids, and probably some of the changes have made it easier for our old bones, but i still miss the Old Fort.

Ah, so good to see a fellow member of the Troll-kind.

Please also tell us how you feel about all the blowup decorations around the holidays...

I love the way everyone decorates for Halloween and Christmas. 

We always drive over from Tampa with the grandkids around those times of year, resort hop, then end up at the Fort at night to walk around. 

I'm amazed at the amout of Disney blow ups that were/are available. 

At least the sites are getting their lot rental monies worth of electricity! 

When the Fort starts glowing brighter then the Magic Kingdom or the parking lots, then it might be getting to be a little too much!

Those campers make the Fort unique.

I love the way everyone decorates for Halloween and Christmas. 

We always drive over from Tampa with the grandkids around those times of year, resort hop, then end up at the Fort at night to walk around. 

I'm amazed at the amout of Disney blow ups that were/are available. 

At least the sites are getting their lot rental monies worth of electricity! 

When the Fort starts glowing brighter then the Magic Kingdom or the parking lots, then it might be getting to be a little too much!

Those campers make the Fort unique.

Not the answer Troll was looking for.

Fail.

The Troll HATES blow up decorations.

TCD

Not the answer Troll was looking for.

Fail.

The Troll HATES blow up decorations.

TCD

Correct.

Travisma, it's great to meet you and I'm very happy to see you posting here, but I'm afraid I must rescind your invitation into Troll-kind. Sorry.

Oh, hey, everyone! You know what Santa is bringing the Troll for Christmas this year? A Red Ryder BB gun! I hope he delivers it early so I can put it to good use.