We just came back from the Fort a few weeks ago (our 1st family WDW trip) and I booked for Christmas while there.  Its just going to be me and my girls (4, 2).  I've already been told I 'm crazy by the extended family but I never listen to them regardlessly :raspberry: Any suggestions for travel and our stay?  I've not taken the RV out without hubs before but plan on some weekend trips between now and then just to get the hang of it.  I started to look at spring dates this morning too, I think I love the Fort!

Awesome!  Id love to meet some others from the area even if its virtual :)  I grew up here and married military, now we're stuck in NC.  Planning on making a trip to the coast here soon for a trial run, love the proximity of the beach!

I travel solo all the time. You CAN handle the rig, as a matter of fact, ALL significant others should learn to drive their rig!! The bigger the rig, the more important it is because if the main driver gets sick, or worse, it is EXPENSIVE to get that rig towed home. There are lots of nice rigs out there for sale, cause "they" can't camp anymore cause they can't handle the rig.

(Can you tell, that's a pet peeve of mine)

Try to time it where you get to the Fort in the daytime, and don't feel bashful about asking a fellow camper to spot you as you back in.

As far as enjoying Disney with the younguns, just do it in short spurts, relax and take it at their pace!!  You'll do fine!!

Keep the meals simple, or eat out!! 

Oh for the trip down, try and find a quick easy in- easy out campground with pullthrough sites.  Stay hitched up, plug in the electric and go to bed.  Bring a quick dinner  and quick breakfast to fix with you so you are not hunting for meals on the road pulling the rig.

I travel solo all the time. You CAN handle the rig, as a matter of fact, ALL significant others should learn to drive their rig!! The bigger the rig, the more important it is because if the main driver gets sick, or worse, it is EXPENSIVE to get that rig towed home. There are lots of nice rigs out there for sale, cause "they" can't camp anymore cause they can't handle the rig.

(Can you tell, that's a pet peeve of mine)

Try to time it where you get to the Fort in the daytime, and don't feel bashful about asking a fellow camper to spot you as you back in.

As far as enjoying Disney with the younguns, just do it in short spurts, relax and take it at their pace!!  You'll do fine!!

Keep the meals simple, or eat out!! 

What she said... all of it!

WELCOME!!

Trial run trips are a terrific idea.

Carol gave lots of excellent advice, and I'm especially with her on this one...

Of course for us that means I'd better get DH comfortable driving...  :rofl2:

Listen, I am going to give you some advice I wish someone had given me years ago.  Don't do it.  I know it sounds like a great idea, but the more trips you make to the Fort the more hooked you get.  Heck, from the sound of it you might be a lost cause already.  You find yourself planning your next trip before you're even done with the current one.  You spend all your time planning trips, or talking about your trips here.  It makes you a hopeless Fort addict.  And even if I can't convince you to stop, think about your kids.  You are setting them up for a lifetime of this!  And they don't have a say in it.  They will grow up thinking it is completely normal to dream about the Fort at any time of the day, and to spend all their vacations and their money there.  And then, it becomes generational, as they will pass it on to your grandchildren.  And them to the next generation.  And yet you hold the power to put a stop to this right now.  All you have to do is walk away.  Just....walk.....away.  Well, first transfer your reservation over to me.  And then, walk away. 

Love all the advice! We are some what new to RVing and were forced to trade in this past weekend. We lost the axle on the way back from Disney last month, last straw for a 14 month old TT who was in the shop most of the time. It's smaller and more appealing in comparison to our previous 30 fter, it's 20 w/o a pop out. I've never towed anything but I'm a good driver and we have a 2500hd that should make it easy. I practiced lining up to the hitch after combining home from the store and I was surprisingly accurate on the first go. I taught myself to drive my husbands manual Jeep on the first deployment, the second I learned to sew, 3& 4th deployment had two under two and this one I'm going to learn how to solo with the RV. I'm already a Fort addict, I'm a lost cause. I dont think i could stay anywhere else, i had a mod ressie and was so excited that we were going to be able to change it back to the fort! I was able to add on to our December trip today for a total of 12 nights. A spring trip has already been talked about. How do I get a sign? Any good campsites to reccomend on 95?

Just wanted to say  :welcome:  I've always loved solo trips with the kids. We do it in tents or hotel rooms though due to my refusal to drive the TH (which would have been so much more comfortable if I weren't such a wimp). I'm sure you'll have an awesome time! 

• 3 weeks later...

Of course for us that means I'd better get DH comfortable driving...  :rofl2:

Rick drives ours just fine, I really need to make him learn the finer points of hitching, unhitching and setting it up.  The one time he unhitched it without me, him and TnBob dropped the tongue, and I found him asleep in it with no chocks and no brake set.

I would do it in a heartbeat! I pulled our hybrid coming home from The Fort for the first time in January. It wasn't bad at all. I had thought about taking myself to the lake a few weeks ago when hubby had to work. Then it dawned on me....my Edge won't tow it...I need his truck to pull the camper.

Bummer.

I've even considered hauling it back to The Fort for WWW '14, but I think I can get a flight for about half. Wish I were going!

Pecan Park just off of I-95 north of Jacksonville is very clean and friendly.  I think the exit is 268.  Pull through sites so you don't have to unhitch or back in.  They also have a pool but I'm from FL and it is cold up there by FL standards in December so only people from Minnisota will be in it.  From Jacksonville it is an easy drive to the Fort south on I-95 and then south on I-4 for an early afternoon check-in.  Get maps that show where the interstate rest stops are and park in the areas marked for busses, trucks or Rv's.  They are all pull throughs as well.  If you are new to driving an RV or towing a TT relax and take it easy.  (It is perfectly OK to be passed by many vehicles).  Plan on staying one night on the road and you will be relaxed when you get there.  If your tow vehicle is diesel just use the truck stops as they are designed for long rigs.  Some gas stations are difficult to get in with a towed vehicle and you won't find that out until you are in it.  I found the Flying J stations are the easiest to manuver in.