There's some news in the world of WDW transportation...

Magic Kingdom/Transportation & Ticket Center:

• The redesigned TTC bus lot is now complete.  It resembles the bus lots at Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios.
  • Work on a third bus loop is in progress.  Canopies are up and stops are in various stages of completion.  The project is expected to be finished by the end of the year, to coincide with the arrival of the 12 new articulated buses.
  • Unofficial word on the street is that the park-to-park buses for Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios that currently operate out of TTC, will move to the new MK bus depot. This means that off property guests currently being dropped off at TTC will have to take a ferry or monorail to MK in order to park hop by bus to DAK and DHS. This is potentially good news for guests already at MK and looking to hop to these parks, but it also means that boats and monorails will likely have to accommodate additional traffic during peak times.

Disney's Animal Kingdom:

• The addition of the two new bus load zones is now complete and resort bus stop numbers have been rearranged.
  • The most significant change has been the splitting up of the Epcot resort buses.  The following resorts will share buses:
    • Yacht & Beach Club
    • Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin
    • Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian
    • Contemporary & Polynesian

This should be good news for Guests staying at these resorts.
  • In other non-Guest news, construction of a new bus driver restroom facility is in progress.

Epcot:

• 2 bus stops are being added in the West lot.
  • Refurbishment is underway to the Bus Operations building located between the two bus lots

Disney's Hollywood Studios:

• Bus stop numbers have all been rearranged.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL!   I think it's funny how Wilderness Lodge now shares with the Grand Floridian.  That makes no sense.  But, I guess it keeps the deluxe guests from having to share with a bunch of scummy campers.

I kind of got that vibe from a few Wilderness guests we shared some chats with on the bus.  It was kind of like, "Oh, you're at the campsite, hows THAT?"   I got annoyed with this one gal and went int

Excuse me, but what the Fort is going on here?   Full livery?   Is Ma44ew94 a fake identity created by Lou to ask obscure bus questions?   Who the heck cares what color the buses are painted?   TCD

Does this mean that the Fort buses will be moved to the farthest spot available at the parks? It seems like we get  moved farther back every year not the close ones we had 10 years ago.

I was wondering the same thing.    8)

Where, exactly, do you think they will move the Fort bus stops to?  They're already in the worst spots.

TCD

LOL!

I think it's funny how Wilderness Lodge now shares with the Grand Floridian.  That makes no sense.  But, I guess it keeps the deluxe guests from having to share with a bunch of scummy campers.

TCD

I kind of got that vibe from a few Wilderness guests we shared some chats with on the bus.  It was kind of like, "Oh, you're at the campsite, hows THAT?"   I got annoyed with this one gal and went into how I never have to worry about bedbugs because we have our beds with us.

• 1 month later...

So it would seem that the new articulated buses may be coming into regular service soon. There was one articulated bus in service for a short time a few months ago for orientation purposes. Now additional load zone changes will be taking place at the Magic Kingdom, this time noted as being specifically to accommodate the new articulated buses:

Starting October 14 the load zone for Art of Animation will be moving to #11 and Animal Kingdom Lodge will be moving to load zone 16.

• 1 month later...

From what I observed yesterday, looks like the huge MK bus depot expansion project is within a week of completion.

The bus stop number signs are up, the sod is down, and the lane lines are painted. The finishing touches and cleanup are underway. When opened, the number of bus stops will almost be double.

Guests complain now if their resort bus stop is too far away. Can't wait to hear the complaints when I drop them off at #27, the furthest stop.

I haven't heard it officially yet, but I've heard it unofficially enough times that I believe it to be the case. The AK and DHS park to park buses will operate from MK instead of TTC. That's good if you're at MK, but not good for those off-property guests that are dropped off at TTC. Unless those buses drop off at MK, which I doubt will happen, it means more people on the ferrys and monorails in order to take the park to park buses.

Some of the articulated buses that will operate out of the new extra long bus stops, were delivered a while ago, but for some reason, have not been put into service. The rumor is that there are contractual issues with the supplier.

busloop_zpsbf9a6a30.jpg

Good job on that photo Lou.

I have been amazed at the scope of this project- why did they need to double the number of bus stops?  How does the number of stops here now with the expansion compare to the number of stops at the other parks? It seems like there are a lot more.  Maybe they are going to let outside companies use some of the stops?

TCD

I have been amazed at the scope of this project- why did they need to double the number of bus stops? 

I don't know why because there are currently 3 spare bus stops at MK.

How does the number of stops here now with the expansion compare to the number of stops at the other parks? It seems like there are a lot more. 

MK currently, 18. 

MK expansion, either 34 or 35.

AK 17

Epcot 15

DHS 14

DTD 8, but as part of the Disney springs project, it will probably double.

Maybe they are going to let outside companies use some of the stops?

That would be a disaster.

They just completely re-did the TTC charter lot, so I don't think they would have done all that if the outside buses dropped off at MK.

During park closing time on peak dates, WDW buses are backed up sometimes to the water bridge waiting to get in. Imagine adding the dozens of outside buses to that?

During park closing time on peak dates, WDW buses are backed up sometimes to the water bridge waiting to get in. Imagine adding the dozens of outside buses to that?

Yeah, it would be awful.

Do you think maybe they are going to rip out the first row or even most of the old (current) bus stops?  Maybe make an area that is just for dropping off guests and holding the buses until they are assigned a route?

TCD

Do you think maybe they are going to rip out the first row or even most of the old (current) bus stops? 

That area was just refurbished, so I don't think they'll change it.

Maybe make an area that is just for dropping off guests and holding the buses until they are assigned a route?

That would mean stopping twice, to drop off, and then proceed to where the next runs bus stop is located.

Drivers were recently mandated to stop at the assigned bus stop unless they get permission to deviate.

The next run is supposed to be given to the driver before arriving at the park, so no need to hold except during driver switching.

That area was just refurbished, so I don't think they'll change it.

That would mean stopping twice, to drop off, and then proceed to where the next runs bus stop is located.

Drivers were recently mandated to stop at the assigned bus stop unless they get permission to deviate.

The next run is supposed to be given to the driver before arriving at the park, so no need to hold except during driver switching.

Gottcha.

I was just trying to figure out why they built that many new bus stops.

As for dropping off before proceeding to an actual bus stop, that is how it's done at DHS on busy days.  Everyone seems to get dropped off along the sidewalk in front before the buses pull forward and wait to enter the actual bus stop loop.  I was wondering if they might try something like that at the MK.  It would cut down on complaints from guests who end up being dropped off at one of the far-off bus stops, and speed up the loading of the buses.

I've noticed the same thing at Epcot too.  A lot of times, we get dropped off in the middle of the far parking lot, and the buses then move on to wait to be assigned their next run.

TCD

As for dropping off before proceeding to an actual bus stop, that is how it's done at DHS on busy days.  Everyone seems to get dropped off along the sidewalk in front before the buses pull forward and wait to enter the actual bus stop loop.  I was wondering if they might try something like that at the MK.  It would cut down on complaints from guests who end up being dropped off at one of the far-off bus stops, and speed up the loading of the buses.

That method is done at DHS, but only during opening and closing times. The rest of the day, buses drop off at a specific bus stop.

The reason for that is that the drivers don't get their next run before arriving. I don't know why they do it that way.

Next time they drop you off there, look all the way down towards the end of the row and you'll see a white van. During opening time, buses drop off,  where you said, and then proceed to that van to get their next run.

During closing time, when the bus returns, it gets in line there, and then gets a run from the dispatcher with a radio standing at the beginning of the row. 

I've noticed the same thing at Epcot too.  A lot of times, we get dropped off in the middle of the far parking lot, and the buses then move on to wait to be assigned their next run.

If and when they do that at Epcot, it's because the driver doesn't have a dispatch yet, or is going to be broken, and is going to either hold for a dispatch, or is parking the bus in that far lot.

Another time they'll do that is if you're arriving at Epcot when most people are leaving. Most of the day, it's not done.

Isn't the whole reason for this expansion the new articulated busses?

And aren't they longer? Like equal to 2 busses now?

So in theory, you have half the number of new stops because one bus will take up two stops.

Am I correct in this logic?

I know aerial photos/artwork makes things look smaller, but I am thinking about how much swing room it will take for the articulated buses.  How does the turn radius (does that term work here?) compare with them and the regular buses?

Isn't the whole reason for this expansion the new articulated busses?

And aren't they longer? Like equal to 2 busses now?

So in theory, you have half the number of new stops because one bus will take up two stops.

Am I correct in this logic?

The articulated buses are only about 50% longer, (62' vs. 40'), than the regular buses.

There will only be 12 of them, and will be used mainly during opening and closing times for the 5 value resorts.

At most they should only need 5 of the longer bus stops, add stops for the park to park buses, and that still leaves a lot of extra bus stops.

And as I said earlier, I sure hope that the extra bus stops are not for off property buses.

Maybe they figured if we're going to expand it, let's really expand it.

I know aerial photos/artwork makes things look smaller, but I am thinking about how much swing room it will take for the articulated buses.  How does the turn radius (does that term work here?) compare with them and the regular buses?

The turn radius term does work here.

The turn radius for the Nova articulated buses is only 46" more than the regular buses. They have no problem maneuvering in the South Loop in the current bus area.

I've seen from various sites people have been posting about how there is a revised version of the new livery where the base color is white instead of grey. However, I was thinking this might not be the case as it could be a quick way of getting vehicles in new livery by placing the new vinyls on the existing paintwork. 

Have you seen the new articulated buses Lou, if so were they in full livery?

I've seen from various sites people have been posting about how there is a revised version of the new livery where the base color is white instead of grey. However, I was thinking this might not be the case as it could be a quick way of getting vehicles in new livery by placing the new vinyls on the existing paintwork. 

That's correct, but it's not a revised version. I believe it was planned to have two versions of the paint scheme. 

I did see two different versions of the new look when it was first  announced. The difference being the omission of the silver/grey color. So far, only a few of the Nova buses have that scheme. It could be that those buses being the next oldest, will be the first to be replaced, so why spend the money to give them the full paint scheme.

Some of the articulated buses have been delivered, but are not in service yet.

I haven't seen them, but I've been told that they have the new paint scheme of silver and red.

That's correct, but it's not a revised version. I believe it was planned to have two versions of the paint scheme. 

I did see two different versions of the new look when it was first  announced. The difference being the omission of the silver/grey color. So far, only a few of the Nova buses have that scheme. It could be that those buses being the next oldest, will be the first to be replaced, so why spend the money to give them the full paint scheme.

Some of the articulated buses have been delivered, but are not in service yet.

I haven't seen them, but I've been told that they have the new paint scheme of silver and red.

Excuse me, but what the Fort is going on here?

Full livery?

Is Ma44ew94 a fake identity created by Lou to ask obscure bus questions?

Who the heck cares what color the buses are painted?

TCD