Need Some Help with Possible Trip to LA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok. Lets begin with the fact that Disneyland is about 40 miles from Pasadena CA which translates to about an hour drive with no traffic. So you need to decide if you want to stay near the Pasadena or

Quick search. Southwest jan 4-8 Tampa to Orange County airport. SNA. $869 changeable

United, American, US Air about $550 non refundable. American. $1000 refundable

Lots of hotels around Disney $100 or less.

Double tree $88/ night.

Embassy suites $125/ night.

Sister suggested Hilton in Pasadena. $647/

night.

Holiday inn express Pasadena. $399/ night

Super 8 $140/ night.

I have to confess when I read the title I thought of the state not the city!

Now on to the fact that you are going to PAY all of that money to see the NOLES play across the country???  One or 2 bad games and you're switching loyalties?!?!?

I know, I know.  3 daughters, 3 schools, blah blah.  

I guess when you start forking over money to 3 higher education institutions, it is difficult to not be loyal to each of their teams!

But seriously, why doesn't the Mrs. go since it's her alma mater?

I agree with the others…..you must go to Disneyland.  Your girls will understand.  You just said one of them is going to DL Paris…..guessing that is without the rest of your clan?  So you've all got some exciting adventures to go on!

My BIL used to fly for United out of LAX.  But for personal travel he used a lot of smaller airports in SoCal (he lives in San Diego).  I like to use Orbitz and check the little box that says "check all airports within 80 miles".  Have you tired JetBlue at all?  I just booked them today to fly to Orlando in a few weeks.  They are awesome!  Comfy seats, cool snacks and DirectTV at every seat!

Good luck…….I do hope you can make your little girl's dream come true….even if it means I have to listen to that dreadful fight song all throughout the championship game!

Cyndee-

Thank you for the Orbitz suggestion.  I haven't used that website before, but I like the idea of comparing flights to different airports.

Something has happened to me in the past few years.  I used to feel weird going to FSU games.  They never were that good, and I always felt sorry for the fans.  Now, I'm envious.  They actually have something to cheer about at their games.

TCD

Sounds like a great trip.

Here's my input for booking travel:

1. I love kayak.com it's my favorite site for researching flights, hotels, and cars.

2. I always book flights directly through the airline. This helps if you have to cancel and they typically guarantee the lowest price anyway.

3. I book the cheapest non-refundable fare they have because in my experience you can always cancel the flight and be given a credit on the airline for rebooking within a year. I never pay for the refundable tickets.

4. I had good luck with Stubhub for tickets. I was able to get a good deal for a superbowl ticket last minute and stubhub threw a free tailgate for all their customers.

If I think of anything else I'll let tou know but good luck, booking this kind of trip is a big gamble.

WBI

We went to the Rose Bowl last year in July when we were on vacation in Los Angeles - only because I wanted to see it.  There were no events going on at the time.  But, from what we could see, the area surrounding the stadium is a residential area; we saw no hotels within walking distance.  Maybe it was because of the route we took, but we all commented on how strange that was.  Perhaps you could find a hotel that offered a BCS package - including transportation to the stadium.  Trust me, I don't think you want to drive in that traffic on game day.  And here's another thought - if you really want to go to Disneyland, every tour company we found has a trip to Disneyland on its list of tours.  They take you there, leave you for the full day and pick you up in the evening.  Unless you are familiar with big city traffic, I wouldn't suggest driving in LA - or Pasadena, for that matter.  We did have a car, a GPS, a map, and three spotters looking for exit signs and we still got lost numerous times - and we're used to big city traffic.  I wish you the best of luck planning this trip.  It's so cool standing in front of the Rose Bowl, after seeing it so many times on television.  It's a beautiful stadium, but she is showing her age a bit.  

Sounds like a great trip.

Here's my input for booking travel:

1. I love kayak.com it's my favorite site for researching flights, hotels, and cars.

2. I always book flights directly through the airline. This helps if you have to cancel and they typically guarantee the lowest price anyway.

3. I book the cheapest non-refundable fare they have because in my experience you can always cancel the flight and be given a credit on the airline for rebooking within a year. I never pay for the refundable tickets.

4. I had good luck with Stubhub for tickets. I was able to get a good deal for a superbowl ticket last minute and stubhub threw a free tailgate for all their customers.

If I think of anything else I'll let tou know but good luck, booking this kind of trip is a big gamble.

WBI

You've been to a Superbowl?  Awesome!  I've thought about it when it's been in Tampa.  That was before there was Stubhub.  Next time, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the airfare suggestion.  I'm sure I could use the credit for something else, so that's good to know.

We went to the Rose Bowl last year in July when we were on vacation in Los Angeles - only because I wanted to see it.  There were no events going on at the time.  But, from what we could see, the area surrounding the stadium is a residential area; we saw no hotels within walking distance.  Maybe it was because of the route we took, but we all commented on how strange that was.  Perhaps you could find a hotel that offered a BCS package - including transportation to the stadium.  Trust me, I don't think you want to drive in that traffic on game day.  And here's another thought - if you really want to go to Disneyland, every tour company we found has a trip to Disneyland on its list of tours.  They take you there, leave you for the full day and pick you up in the evening.  Unless you are familiar with big city traffic, I wouldn't suggest driving in LA - or Pasadena, for that matter.  We did have a car, a GPS, a map, and three spotters looking for exit signs and we still got lost numerous times - and we're used to big city traffic.  I wish you the best of luck planning this trip.  It's so cool standing in front of the Rose Bowl, after seeing it so many times on television.  It's a beautiful stadium, but she is showing her age a bit.  

Thanks for this input.

I've driven in Atlanta, DC, Philly and NYC.  I think I could handle LA.  But, with parking and all. you might be right.  I'm sure there are BCS packages out there.  That is an idea worth looking in to.

TCD

Yup I drove over to Miami when the Saints won the Super Bowl to meet some family that was going. I honestly didn't think I would be able to go to the game but thought I would try to get a ticket from a scalper. It's a great long story but the result was we ended up getting a legally sold ticket the day of the game at the stubhub tailgate. We had a great day and we can't help but talk about it everytime we get together! We really lucked out they way the day worked out.

WBI

Atlanta, DC, Philly, and NYC are funny little cities to drive around in. But nothing prepares you for LA traffic. Lol

The big difference is the distances you have to travel. Now I'm talking about the LA basin.

Example. You are in Hollywood and wanted to go to Laguna Beach. It's about 60 mile drive and without traffic about an hour and a half drive.

I grew up there and went to USC, for one year. So I know my around pretty good. But I still have to look at a map and still will get turned around.

Maybe it's an Okie thing or something, but we stayed in Hollywood and wanted to go to Laguna Beach - again just to see it.  

We didn't even get out of LA before we got lost.  We wound up in Marina del Ray, which was beautiful but not where we wanted to go.

With the help of some lovely locals, we tried again and made it to the beach.  

Coming home we decided to take the freeway instead of Pacific Coast Highway - big mistake!  It was Sunday evening and the traffic was much worse than traffic coming into Houston on Sunday.  We changed freeways three times, were delayed by an accident, and finally arrived back at the house at 9 pm.  NEVER AGAIN!  I'll take Houston rush hour traffic anytime compared to traffic in LA!

Maybe it's an Okie thing or something, but we stayed in Hollywood and wanted to go to Laguna Beach - again just to see it.

We didn't even get out of LA before we got lost. We wound up in Marina del Ray, which was beautiful but not where we wanted to go.

With the help of some lovely locals, we tried again and made it to the beach.

Coming home we decided to take the freeway instead of Pacific Coast Highway - big mistake! It was Sunday evening and the traffic was much worse than traffic coming into Houston on Sunday. We changed freeways three times, were delayed by an accident, and finally arrived back at the house at 9 pm. NEVER AGAIN! I'll take Houston rush hour traffic anytime compared to traffic in LA!

No it's not an Okie thing. Remember I'm a Okie by choice.

It's a L.A. Thing. The traffic is just that bad there. Last year we stayed at Disneyland and went to the Staples center to watch the LA Clippers play. I didn't get lost but it took me twice as long to get back to our hotel as it took to get to the game. All because of one accident.

Wow, yall's traffic stories convince me that when we do go to Disneyland, we'll take Super Shuttle from the airport and NOT get a rental car (even though the rental car would be free with points). Sounds like the frustration level will more than make up for the cost of the shuttle.

I agree with Carol- if I can avoid driving myself, I will.

With traffic being as bad as it is, I'll bet the shuttle services do a booming business.

TCD

How much time do you have?

Have you looked at rental cars and driving cross country?

That way you could take the rest of the family, and while you and 1 daughter go to the game the rest can spend time at Disney!

I got a Hertz rental for 12/26 thru 1/2 for about $180.  The prices after new Year day should be even less.

Have you asked Jason to look into packages, flights, rooms, etc?

How much time do you have?

Have you looked at rental cars and driving cross country?

That way you could take the rest of the family, and while you and 1 daughter go to the game the rest can spend time at Disney!

I got a Hertz rental for 12/26 thru 1/2 for about $180.  The prices after new Year day should be even less.

Have you asked Jason to look into packages, flights, rooms, etc?

Now that is thinking outside the box!  I don't think either of us have time for a cross-country trip.  I would love it if we did.

I'm not sure if Jason does non-Disney trips, but I'll check.

TCD

Wow, yall's traffic stories convince me that when we do go to Disneyland, we'll take Super Shuttle from the airport and NOT get a rental car (even though the rental car would be free with points). Sounds like the frustration level will more than make up for the cost of the shuttle.

I agree with Carol- if I can avoid driving myself, I will.

With traffic being as bad as it is, I'll bet the shuttle services do a booming business.

TCD

If you were going only to Disneyland then you can fly into John Wayne (SNA). Get a rental car and drive to Disney. Easy peasy.

You could even take a day trip to some beaches. Like any big city don't travel during rush hour.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay near Disney and drive to the rose bowl. Just plan it when and how you will get there and back.

Also when you want to go to or thru some of the more popular and populated areas that you run into problems.

TCD. My advice would be to stay at or around Disney and drive to the game and back. Hotels are cheaper at Disney during the game. And all kidding aside, if you can handle Atlanta traffic you can handle LA. It's the same traffic just a bigger geographical area.

Now book your trip. As a life long Disneyland fan I'm curious to hear your opinion and read the TR.

Now that is thinking outside the box!  I don't think either of us have time for a cross-country trip.  I would love it if we did.

I'm not sure if Jason does non-Disney trips, but I'll check.

TCD

It was just an idea.  You'll be spending two days flying (maybe more).  Whats a couple of more days added on for driving and bonding time ? :hah:

It was just an idea.  You'll be spending two days flying (maybe more).  Whats a couple of more days added on for driving and bonding time ? :hah:

Couple more days???????? I can drive hard all day for 1 day, but from the east to the west coast is 4 days of hard driving!!!!!!!  I do want to take the camper out west one day,. but I'm thinking a month or more of travel time!!!!!

Couple more days? ???? ??? I can drive hard all day for 1 day, but from the east to the west coast is 4 days of hard driving!!!!!!!  I do want to take the camper out west one day,. but I'm thinking a month or more of travel time!!!!!

Guess I was thinking TCD and daughter could do more of a Cannonball Run type of drive ! :rofl2:

• 1 month later...

Drive from NE to Southern Cali would take 3.5 days.  2892 miles at 75 miles an hour and for more than half the country that is the speed limit or close to that. that breaks down to 38.56 hours. if you drive 11 hour days that would be 3.50 days. My Great-uncle used to make the drive on a regular basis. In a motorhome a few times. 

ETA Oh and dont forget going to the west coast you get an hour back every day you drive thanks to the time zones. Coming back East really sucks though.