Need Some Help with Possible Trip to LA

I am very early in the planning stages of a possible trip to LA.

My oldest daughter has informed me that if FSU gets to play in this year's National Championship game that she'd like to go.

I said I'd look into it.

The game will be played at the Rose Bowl.

I was thinking about maybe adding on a Disneyland visit.

So help me-

What airport do I want to fly into?  Any suggested airlines to get a good deal flying from Tampa?

Do I need to rent a car?

Anyone have a good hotel recommendation?

If anyone is familiar with the location of the Rose Bowl,  would it be convenient for me to stay near or at Disneyland?

TCD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok. Lets begin with the fact that Disneyland is about 40 miles from Pasadena CA which translates to about an hour drive with no traffic. So you need to decide if you want to stay near the Pasadena or

Ok. Lets begin with the fact that Disneyland is about 40 miles from Pasadena CA which translates to about an hour drive with no traffic. So you need to decide if you want to stay near the Pasadena or Disneyland. If you choose Disney, which I recommend, you will fly into John Wayne, SNA. I would recommend the embassy suites north, not the one right next to Disney because its more economical, free mangers reception, and they have a free shuttle to Disney. Yes you will need a car. Regardless of where you decide to stay. Hotels in and around Pasadena will be expensive and probably sell out quickly. If you want to stay near Pasadena fly into Burbank. It's a lot closer than LAX its a lot closer than lax. You might want to consider staying at one of the front gate properties. Disneyland is not like the World in that there are hotels right outside the front gate of the parks. They will run you about the same as the embassy suites but you'll only get two beds not two beds and a pull out sofa in another room. But from the best western at the front gate you can almost see the line of people waiting to enter the park. So it depends on what you want... Close proximity and being able to walk into Disney or comfort, free booze and a nice shuttle bus.

I grew up at Disneyland and know it probably as well as you know disneyworld so ill try to help as much as I can. Have fun and its about time you take those poor disney deprived girls to Disneyland. Lol

Dang- didn't know that Pasadena was 40 miles from Disneyland.  That doesn't work too good.

I may have to abandon the Disneyland idea.  But, thanks for the input so far.

So let's shift gears- I want to stay in Pasadena.  I should fly into Burbank- any hotel recommendations?  Anything walking distance to the stadium?

TCD

. I would recommend the embassy suites north, not the one right next to Disney because its more economical

I grew up at Disneyland and know it probably as well as you know disneyworld so ill try to help as much as I can. Have fun and its about time you take those poor disney deprived girls

He needs to spread the wealth and stay at the Grand Californian. :rofl3:

TCD, you better book ASAP. I bet those rooms are already hard to come by. Schools only get part of the tickets for bowl games. The rest are sold before people even know who will be playing.

I figured as much. 

But I need to know which airport and I'm looking for some hotel suggestions.

I need to make sure everything is refundable.  I sure as heck don't want to pay to see the wrong teams play.

TCD

I figured as much. 

But I need to know which airport and I'm looking for some hotel suggestions.

I need to make sure everything is refundable.  I sure as heck don't want to pay to see the wrong teams play.

TCD

Airline tickets you will need to ensure are refundable. The hotel should be easy to "resell" if you don't go. Maybe even make a slight profit off it. But I agree, book now if you even think you will be going. Be prepared to pay too. California is expensive to begin with, much less right outside a major sporting event.

Don't give up on Disney yet. Let me do some leg work for you and see what I can come up with. You can probably get a hotel and a rental car close to Disney for less than one nights hotel close to the rose bowl. Your TRs will be incomplete until you write one about Disneyland and California Adventure.

I was taking a look around google to see what I could find and came across this change dated 10/23/13. 

BCS National Championship Game in 2014 Changed to Monday, January 6 Was Originally Scheduled for Tuesday, January 7
  • Bowl Championship Series -- October 23, 2012

Bill Hancock, Executive Director of the BCS Group, announced today that the VIZIO BCS National Championship Game for 2014 has been moved to Monday, January 6. The game, to be played at the Rose Bowl Stadium, had originally been scheduled for Tuesday, January 7.

I agree. You can't fly across the country, be an hour away from DL and not go. That's just wrong.

I know.  On the other hand, if it's just me and one daughter, it may be better for us not to.

Are you and Mrs TCD going to be taking all three TCD daughters?

Probably not.  I don't think I want to pay for five flights, and game tickets are going to be hard to come by too.

Plus, this is still in the early planning stages, but one of the twins is probably going to be spending some time at Disneyland Paris next year.  And that isn't going to be cheap.

So, I think I'm looking just for two.

TCD

If you book flights withSouthwest and don't use them they allow you to cancel the flight and rebook within a year for no charge or penalty. I've done it a couple of times but I travel by plane a lot. Southwest flys from Tampa but on a few occasions its been considerably cheaper to fly into Orlando and then drive to Tampa. It might be worth looking into.

If you book flights withSouthwest and don't use them they allow you to cancel the flight and rebook within a year for no charge or penalty. I've done it a couple of times but I travel by plane a lot. Southwest flys from Tampa but on a few occasions its been considerably cheaper to fly into Orlando and then drive to Tampa. It might be worth looking into.

I am a big Southwest fan.  I've been using them to fly my daughter home from Atlanta.  And, you're right about Orlando.  Same thing up there- sometimes it's significantly less for her to fly from Birmingham, sometimes not.

Does Southwest fly to Burbank?

TCD

I know. On the other hand, if it's just me and one daughter, it may be better for us not to.

Probably not. I don't think I want to pay for five flights, and game tickets are going to be hard to come by too.

Plus, this is still in the early planning stages, but one of the twins is probably going to be spending some time at Disneyland Paris next year. And that isn't going to be cheap.

So, I think I'm looking just for two.

TCD

Well that's going to make it easier to find a reasonablely priced hotel. I just emailed my sister who lives our in Fullerton CA to ask her about hotels. She used to live in Burbank. Which is about ten miles away from Pasadena.