WANTED: Quiet Site that backs up to water

Hello Everyone!  We will be camping at the Fort for the first time for 9 days post-9720-0-32188600-1383140697_thumb.jp over Memorial Day.  We are renting a Keystone Cougar 31' 5th wheel with a slide out. 

We want a nice quiet site that backs up to water.  We have a 8 year old boy.  We don't care about distance because our rental comes with a gold cart.

I'd like recommendations for good loops or even specific sites that meet this criteria.  It will already be set up for us when we get there so we don't have to worry about that.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

First off, WELCOME!!!!!!

What level of site did you book? Full, preferred, premium?

There are many streams running through Ft. Wilderness and some of the sites on many of the loops back up to those streams.  Sometimes they are full and beautiful, sometimes, they look like slimy green drainage ditches.

So a site "backing up to water" is a tossup in most cases.

Welcome!

Before I answer your question, why do you want a site that backs up to water?  Are you looking for a view?  Or a place to fish?  Or some other reason.  There are many sites that back up to canals, but you can't really see the water from there.  If you just want a place to fish, there are many possible options- if you're looking for a water view, there are very few.

There are very few sites that will match what you're asking for, and over Memorial Day weekend, special requests will be tough.

TCD

Also if you have an android phone or iphone, look in the "Play Store" or "App Store" for "Sites at the Fort". It is a nifty app that shows pictures of 99% of the sites around the Fort empty, and shows site dimensions.

There are also videos on YouTube of someone driving around the fort videoing all of the loops.

We have a hold with AAA for a premium site but we are not sure if that would be the appropriate category.  Would it be?  We are checking in a week before Memorial Day so hopefully that will be early enough to have a loop request fullfilled.

We studied the map and to us it looked like the sites that backed up to water would be quieter.  If I am wrong please correst me! 

When it is time to settle down and sleep for the night we'd like a campsite away from the action.  We don't want alot of noise  outside our site.  I realize everyone is on vacation but sometimes it makes people forget to be respectful of others.  So we'd love a spot that would not have foot traffic from anyone except those staying in that part of the loop.  An example would be not near a playground or pool where people might cut through if such a thing is even possible.

My husband and son do want to fish.

We don't have an android or iphone. 

Thanks!

Now we have something to work with.

First thing you need to know is that those great looking streams you see on the map don't exist.  Most of them are just drainage ditches, and for the most part, barely have water in them.  Here's a photo for you- if you look at the map, you'll see what looks like a nice stream that runs all the way along the back of the 800 loop, past 900, and then on between the 2000 and 2100 loops.  This is a photo of that "stream", the cabins you see on the left are from the 2100 loop, the 2000 loop is off to the right in this photo:

100_9030.jpg

As that ditch travels past the 900 loop and on to the 800 loop, it has even less water in it.

The premium loops that have the best sites backing up to water are on the 600 loop and the 1300 loop.  But, the campfire area is right on the other side of the water from the 600 loop waterfront sites, and it is definitely not quiet.  The main pool is on the other side of the canal from the 1300 loop, and you will get a lot of noise from it.

If your primary interest is quiet, forget about trying to back up to water, and ask for something toward the back of the 800 or 900 loop.

If you really want to be away from the action and have quiet, you might want to change your reservation to a full hook up site and ask for the 1800 or 1900 loops. There are some sites in the back of the 1800 loop that do back up to a nice canal that actually has water in it.  That would be the closest you can get to your original request- quiet and on the water.  But those are full hook up sites, not premium sites.

TCD

It was 1809. I rode by today too check it out.

If it rains enough, all of the sites in 1900 back up to water…..hahaha.

We stayed in a site in the 1300 loop that backed up to the canal that is next to the swimming' hole, etc.  At first I thought it was going to be a nuisance due to the noise from the pool and the bugs from the canal.

It turned out to be one of the best sites we'd ever had.  We were on one that was on a curve so there was no one to the one side of use that we "faced" - the door side of the camper.  We sat in chairs by the water and it was really lovely.  We don't fish but could have easily right from our site.  The pool noise wasn't too bad, and we were there pretty much all day, no parks that trip.

That particular part of the canal doesn't get too yucky.  But if you had a small child, you'd have to be very careful because it is literally right on the water.

As far as Donnie goes, I'll second that. We rented the 5th wheel over July 4th for my sister's family. Couldn't have gone better.

Quiet and near water? If you ask real nice, Donnie may drop it on Clementine's beach for you. It's relatively quiet, other than Lou's nightly water parade...

Oh...almost forgot...WELCOME!!!!

In September when we were there, our site (1832) was next to a large pond due to excessive rain. Not really all that picturesque. I would recommend the 3000 loop, where all sites have a gorgeous view of Bay Lake.

We are renting from Donnie.  A friend reccomended him to us.  Thanks - you all are so nice. 

Not all of us are nice.  :clint:

I agree with the advice you've received so far.  Personally I'd try for the quieter outside of 800 or 900.  Unless you don't care about the Premium site and wouldn't mind some sandy area on your site...then 1800. 

We are renting from Donnie.  A friend reccomended him to us.  Thanks - you all are so nice. 

Uh, oh, we are getting a reputation!!!  Maybe Grumpy is right!!!!  Now that the questions have been answered, it's time to be Snarky!!!

Nice never gets you anywhere in this world :)

You should have said you were renting from Donnie.  Good for you!  He'll make sure you get a great site. He knows the Fort. 

We stayed in a site in the 1300 loop that backed up to the canal that is next to the swimming' hole, etc.  At first I thought it was going to be a nuisance due to the noise from the pool and the bugs from the canal.

The pool noise wasn't too bad, and we were there pretty much all day, no parks that trip.

Since I know you Cyndee, I will accept your word that you didn't think the noise from the pool was too bad.

I know that when I've been on the 1500 loop even further away than the area on 1300 that you're talking about, the noise from the daily pool party with the annoying Castmember on a loudspeaker leading kids in dancing and other activities has been loud enough to be bothersome.  Then there's the dance music blasting  with the Cha Cha Slide, Chicken Dance and the Hoedown Throwdown.  Thankfully, it doesn't go on for ever, but being right across the canal from that is not my idea of quiet.

Plus the original poster is talking about Memorial Day Weekend.  The pool is going to be a madhouse then.  What with the piñatas, salsa dancing and all.  You know what I'm talking about.

TCD

You should have said you were renting from Donnie.  Good for you!  He'll make sure you get a great site. He knows the Fort. 

Since I know you Cyndee, I will accept your word that you didn't think the noise from the pool was too bad.

I know that when I've been on the 1500 loop even further away than the area on 1300 that you're talking about, the noise from the daily pool party with the annoying Castmember on a loudspeaker leading kids in dancing and other activities has been loud enough to be bothersome.  Then there's the dance music blasting  with the Cha Cha Slide, Chicken Dance and the Hoedown Throwdown.  Thankfully, it doesn't go on for ever, but being right across the canal from that is not my idea of quiet.

Plus the original poster is talking about Memorial Day Weekend.  The pool is going to be a madhouse then.  What with the piñatas, salsa dancing and all.  You know what I'm talking about.

TCD

I guess when we stayed at 1500 we didn't notice the pool party noise because we were there! :rofl3:

The noise I noticed the most was the beeping of the busses every time they had to kneel.  That was annoying even at the 2000 madhouse.  It cuts right thru everything.

We also like a quiet loop so we always request the 900 loop. We like the outside sites toward the back of the loop. It's a small loop offset from the main road, so you don't hear the Main Street noise. The sites...such as 912, 914, 915 (you can check them out on a map) don't have anyone backing up to them and they're large sites with a lot of privacy. And, although it meets all of our criteria for a great, quiet campsite, we're still close enough to the pool, campfire, etc for the grand kids to have a great time. Have a great time!

You've already gotten some great advice so I just wanted to say hello and welcome.

Just curious, are renting the 5er from Donnie, with makingcampingeasy.com?

We rented from him last year and had a great time. It's a great 5er and he really takes care of his guests.

As far as Donnie goes, I'll second that. We rented the 5th wheel over July 4th for my sister's family. Couldn't have gone better.

Quiet and near water? If you ask real nice, Donnie may drop it on Clementine's beach for you. It's relatively quiet, other than Lou's nightly water parade...

Oh...almost forgot...WELCOME!!!!

x3 on the Donnie/MakeCampingEasy comments…..we rented from him last summer after we sold our TT and he took great care of us!

One more saying makingcampingeasy.com and Donnie are great. Very easy to work with.

• 1 month later...