Ants in the Cheerios - Final Update 12/21

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you x 2.   The PGA has chaplains, too.  But I don't think he would want to be on the road so much and away from his family right now since his children are so young.  We'll see.

These all sound very promising.

I was going to suggest "Miracle on Cinnamon Fern Way."

TCD

That's good, Andrew!

But I have stories to tell about all my possible titles.

Today we did a bit of resort hopping.  Then after an early dinner we went to the ice cream parlor in MK for dessert.

Last day/night here.  In some ways it seems like we've been here forever, but in other ways it seems like vacation has just flown by.  In any event, vacation has been much too short.  Today is a MK day.  Then clean Dolly, put DeeDee's hairnet on, then back to the MK for a final and tearful goodbye.

Thanks, Dave.  We had a good day despite the rain.  Went back to MK after dinner, saw part of my beloved MSEP, rode the boat back to the fort, and enjoyed the fireworks from Clementine's Beach.  We really hate to leave tomorrow.

I've taken around 3500 pictures, but I promise not to bore you with all of them.

Overnighting in Walterboro, SC.  It was really hard leaving the fort today.  Yesterday was rainy all day.  This morning was sunny and warm.  I can't wait to start writing my formal TR and sharing our experiences with you all.  We had a wonderful trip.  I would say a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but hopefully we will be able to repeat it when the kids are older.  Matthew says he's not coming back until all the kids are tall enough to ride everything.

I'm looking forward to reading more as well.  

Hope you have a safe finish to your trip tomorrow.  

Thanks, Dave!

I am late but in.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Yes, we did have a great trip.  Don't worry about being late.  This TR is going to be slow going.  I didn't take enough notes the first week when the kids were there.  And half my pictures were shot at over 20 MB so each one I post will have to be resized.  Hope to have it finished by Christmas.

So let's get started on my formal trip report!

Saturday, November 2

Our vacation began!

Dolly was loaded and ready to go.  We left home at 430am.

001Leaving.jpg

Kassie begging to sit in my lap:

002Kassiebegging.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel in Orangeburg, SC,  a fuelup in Brunswick, GA, and arrived at the Flying J in St. Augustine around 230pm. 

004FLline.jpg

We always see something interesting at FJ.  Check out this homemade Mighty Hauler:

003homemademightyhauler.jpg

The owner kept walking around our unit ... and finally stopped to talk to us.  He and his brother had built his hauler.  Wish I had taken a pic of his entire moho.  The hauler dragged the behind down several inches.  I don't think it was mounted correctly.

After an early dinner at Denny's we crashed.  It had been a long day.

Sunday, November 3

“Didn’t sleep at all last night …” 

What is that nonstop beeping?  It drove us batty.  Turns out we have a second carbon monoxide monitor under a kitchen cabinet that says “Replace July 2010.”  Oops.  Whenever we aren’t on shore power or running the generator, it beeps.

We left FJ at 4 am, took our time getting to the fort, and checked in at 6:30. 

001FJ.jpg

002MKgate.jpg

003Outpost.jpg

Of course our site wasn't ready, so we went to the overflow lot, unloaded Dolly, and then went to find Shardi, but apparently they had already left.  So we rode around the fort waiting for our call.

004canal.jpg

005settlement.jpg

006Squirrel.jpg

007PHall.jpg

008Moss.jpg

009beach.jpg

010TradingPost.jpg

011pavilion.jpg

012PHall2.jpg

We finally received a message at 11:00 saying to please check in at the front desk upon our arrival.  What's this all about?  So we went back to the outpost and waited in a long line.

024Officepic.jpg

023moreflowers.jpg

021flower-1.jpg

020Mimosasmaybe.jpg

Next time I arrive at the fort, it will be on one of these:

018DME.jpg

014Office.jpg

019office5.jpg

017office4.jpg

015office2.jpg

016office3.jpg

We were assigned to 705.  We initially didn’t like it, but it turned out to be a great site.  Very private.

025site705.jpg

Near photo limit.  Seems to be a good breaking point.  Be back later!