Ants in the Cheerios - Final Update 12/21

Abraham Lincoln said "... it's not the years in your life that count.  It's the life in your years."  Lincoln was a wise man, and over the years I've pondered this quote and tried to live life with as much enthusiasm, experience, and curiosity as possible.  Well, let me go on record as saying I've had a lot of life in my years!  And a lot more life is to be revealed in this TR!

GoingtoDisneyTitlePagecopy.jpg

Is the fort ready for us?  I don't know, but look out 'cause here we come!

We haven't had a vacation in a year.  And it's been a hard year.  We helped two of our kids move.  We dealt with some very difficult family situations.  After helping take care of Dad for so long and then his passing away, getting his estate settled and dealing with my mother, and basically having to run two households that are 20-25 minutes apart, we've had enough.  It's time for some R&R.

I'm starting this TR here at home before our actual trip begins.  I hope to do some live updates while we are on the trip.  Then when we get home I'll start the formal TR.  And hopefully after a few weeks our PP+ CDs will arrive so I can include those pics too.

Our travel group includes me and David (Gigi and Papa to the grandchildren), our dear DIL, Erica, who grew up visiting WDW.  Here she is at age 4:

Erica4Years.jpg

And our son Matthew who first visited WDW at the age of 3:

MattandMickey.jpg

Matthew and Erica were married in August, 2004, at Sunset Pointe behind the Polynesian with a view of Cinderella Castle in the background.  Many of you have already seen this picture, but I'm adding it here again to make my story complete.  And, yes, I was wearing my Wallaroo:

0928713-R1-017-7.jpg

Over the next nine years four little ones were added to the family:

201306FamilyPhoto.jpg

From left to right:

Einstein, 7, almost 8, years old.  I call him that because he is so smart.  But he is also very, very sensitive, especially about others' feelings.  We celebrated his and my birthdays this trip.  This will be his seventh time visiting WDW and his third trip to the fort.

Miracle, 3.  His nickname is because he medically shouldn't have survived all the health problems he had during his first few years.  He truly is a miracle.  And this is his first trip to WDW.

I don't think I've ever shared his story with you.  This seems like a good time.

Miracle was born with a mild gradient of the Dandy Walker variant.  We had no idea how this would affect him, but thank the Lord he is developing normally. 

His first several months were difficult.  He flatlined 12 times one night.  And then another night he was rushed back to the PICU because his blood sugar dropped so low that he shouldn't have been alive.  The problems just went on and on.

He had throat surgery to remove excess tissue.  He had a Nissen fundoplication and then a G-tube inserted.  He had every test imaginable, including a sleep study, spinal taps, etc.  You name it, he underwent it.  He was even placed in quarantine for several days.

Here is an early picture of him fighting for his life in the PICU at Duke University Hospital where doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong (and they never did figure it all out, they just treated the symptoms):

445866835803.jpg

But he is our warrior.  Today he is doing well, and that's what counts.

Red, 2.  His temperament matches his hair.  And it's much redder than the photo indicates.  Wonder how many meltdowns he will have this week!  I'll warn you in advance -- he's a screamer.  And it doesn't take much to send him over the edge.  This is also his first trip. 

And then we have Diva, 5.  She's been a diva since she was old enough to walk and talk.  She is obsessed with clothes, shoes, accessories.  She has completely dressed herself since she was two.  You may see her in some wacky outfits.  And you may see her in several different outfits on the same day.  This is her second trip to WDW (technically her fourth since she visited twice before she was born).  The first trip real trip was with her other grandparents when she was one, and she doesn't remember anything from that trip.

Behind the kids are their overworked parents, who needed this break.

They are actually sleeping offsite using Erica's parents' timeshare points, but I added them to our reservation because they would be spending many more waking hours at the fort than the condo.  They could come and go as they please, not have to pay for parking, attend EMHs with us, etc.  And the fort has plenty of room for the kids to play.

So let's get started!

Tuesday, October 8

Our MagicBands arrived!

MagicBands.jpg

Oh, happy day!

I've been on the Disney web site for several days trying to get ADRs.  I've never done this before.  I currently have five ADRs.  Think the system totally sucks some spontaneity and joy out of our trip.  WTF, we're traveling off season.  Why should I have to go through this?

Sunday, October 13

I received a call from Einstein.  He is 7 years old (soon to be 8 and rarely calls me.  "Gigi, do you know what the height requirement is for EE?" 

"Let's see, I've watched it on YouTube and can't wait to ride it." 

I was amazed that he even knows what YouTube is. 

"Okay, the height requirement for *** is ***, so Miracle and Red can't ride that one."

"Oh, I checked that one out on YouTube too."

"I really want to see the treehouse."

"You might talk Diva into riding the Barnstormer, but she won't ride any of the other coasters."

And on and on for 25 minutes.  He has to be the world's foremost 7-year-old authority on Disney World.

He plans to ride EE, RNRC, TOT, SM, Splash, BMTRR, all the biggies.  Our quiet little Einstein.  Where's all this bravery coming from?  He certainly didn't inherit it from our side of the family.  Although he and I are planning to ride Splash together.  Papa is chicken, so he will be babysitting the little ones.

At this point Diva is contemplating the outfits she will take into the parks.  Surprise, surprise.

During this trip we hope to see several old fiends:  among them, Lorna and Rich, Doodle, Grumpy and Grandma, and Loretta and her DH.  They are not old, they are people we have met before.

We hope to meet several new fiends; among them are Kelly, robertb4588, Jason, TurkeyPants, Monique, Marilyn, Pezheadval, and Elaine.  Again, no reference to their ages or time on FF, just that they are people we haven't met in person.

Sunday, October 20

I just went back and read my last TR to see what my "to do" list was for this upcoming trip.  It is:

• Wilderness Lodge -- can you believe we've never visited it?  We have ADRs for Whispering Canyon, so this will be an easy one to mark off.
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge -- never visited there either.  Doubtful we'll make it this trip.
  • TSM -- hope to make rope drop next trip so we can get FPs.  It's been awhile.  Or hopefully I can figure out how to do FPs on our Magic Bands.
  • Captain EO -- most everyone doesn't recommend it, but it's one of the few things in EPCOT we've never experienced so it's on the list.  But realistically I'm gonna have to be awfully bored to go.
  • World Showcase -- spend more time exploring the countries.  We've discovered a lot of the nooks and crannies that many people overlook, but I bet we can find more!
  • MK Flag Retreat -- we've never seen it.

Tuesday, October 22

Another call from Einstein.  His teacher let him borrow her hidden Mickeys book, and he's really excited to go hunting.

Thursday, October 24

I got this letter in the mail from Einstein today:

Einsteinsnote2.jpg />

Can you tell he's excited?

Thursday, October 31

Matthew, Erica, and the kids begin their journey this evening.  They plan to arrive in Port St. Lucie, FL, on Friday after overnighting in Savannah, GA.  They lived in PSL while Matthew worked for the PGA and want to go back and spend time with old friends.  He was the second-youngest PGA Class A pro in the world and gave it up to enter seminary.

Meanwhile I got whacked in the head by a wayward bungee cord today and have a huge goose egg, headache, and nausea.  

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you x 2.   The PGA has chaplains, too.  But I don't think he would want to be on the road so much and away from his family right now since his children are so young.  We'll see.

Wow, Gwen, that has to be one of the best starts to a trip report I've ever read.

I am so happy that you and David get to spend this time with your grandchildren.

I am a huge Einstein fan already.  I hope that boy gets on EE ASAP!

I fully approve of your to-do list.  I hope you are able to get everything on it checked-off.

Have a magical trip!

TCD

Wow, Gwen, that has to be one of the best starts to a trip report I've ever read.

I am so happy that you and David get to spend this time with your grandchildren.

I am a huge Einstein fan already.  I hope that boy gets on EE ASAP!

I fully approve of your to-do list.  I hope you are able to get everything on it checked-off.

Have a magical trip!

TCD

Thank you, TCD!  I am shocked by Einstein's plans.  We'll see how it all plays out.

I'm in..... can't wait to hear all the details

(Yea....I'm first to reply). Never mind.....

But you're second!  That's great!

I'm in, too.  We have a planner in the family as well.  It is so neat to watch the kiddos get excited about Disney trips.  Our oldest told me the other day he was "so excited" about our trip in November.  I told him I was glad to hear it but was pretty certain I was even more excited than he was!

Hope everything is ok; I will say a little prayer for Erica and whatever is on her heart.

If you can spare the time, make it a point to go to AKL.  There are a ton of fun things for kids.

Good report, but I can't see any of the pictures on my work pc. Will have to wait to get home and read it again.

Thank you for the tip!

I hope everything is OK....

Found out what was wrong.  Erica is a NICU nurse, and one of her long-term patients passed away.  The five month old baby had gone home but spit up and strangled on it.  The monitors didn't go off like they should have.  How horrible for the parents.

I'm in.

Page one baby!

Great start. Einstein sounds like my kinda kid.

I hope every thing is ok.

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures.

I plan to give my new camera a real workout!

Also in on page 1!!

I can't wait to read all about your adventures.

Thank you for reading, Yvonne.  With this group of characters, this should be a memorable trip.

It occurs to me that little Miracle was destined to be a Disney child.  Even as a very sick child in the PICU, he had on a Mickey diaper.  That's gotta account for something.  Maybe old Mickey helped heal Miracle.  And maybe Mickey is what y'all need for some healing after a tough year.  Mickey cures what ails ya!  

I'm hoping the Mickey magic works wonders for all of us.

I'm in, too.  We have a planner in the family as well.  It is so neat to watch the kiddos get excited about Disney trips.  Our oldest told me the other day he was "so excited" about our trip in November.  I told him I was glad to hear it but was pretty certain I was even more excited than he was!

Hope everything is ok; I will say a little prayer for Erica and whatever is on her heart.

Thanks for reading along, Janet.  And thanks for your prayer.  I posted what was wrong above.

Woo hoo!  Are you leaving in the morning?  I love the descriptions of the kidlets!  Looking forward to the TR!!!  See you in a week!!!

Loretta, we plan to leave at 4am Saturday morning and to check into the fort early Sunday morning.  Matthew and his gang will arrive a little after lunch on Sunday and stay until Saturday morning.  Wish you could meet them, but I don't think it will work out.

Any other fiends at the fort, we hope to be in the 700 loop.  We'll probably be in the parks most of each day, but we should be back to the MH by 4 or 5 every day except Thursday.  Please feel free to stop by and meet the gang!

Friday, November 1

Matthew and his crew got to their hotel in Savannah about 11:30 last night but the kids, having napped in the car, didn't want to go to bed.  They finally got them all down and planned on a leisurely departure this morning.  But the kids woke him up at 7:30.  So they had breakfast, loaded everyone up, and should be in PSL by 3:30, counting for a few potty stops with the kids.

Surprise, surprise.  We have 18 hours til our planned departure and David still hasn't started packing!  

We need to be loading the cart onto the Mighty Hauler, but he can't find the tie-down straps.  And now it's raining.

I only have a few last-minute things to take care of like charging my phone overnight.  I'm so excited!

Friday, November 1

Matthew and his crew got to their hotel in Savannah about 11:30 last night but the kids, having napped in the car didn't want to go to bed.  They finally got them all down and planned on a leisurely departure this morning.  But the kids woke him up at 7:30.  So they had breakfast, loaded everyone up, and should be in PSL by 3:30, counting for a few potty stops with the kids.

Surprise, surprise.  We have 18 hours til our planned departure and David still hasn't started packing!  

We need to be loading the cart onto the Mighty Hauler, but he can't find the tie-down straps.  And now it's raining.

I only have a few last-minute things to take care of like charging my phone overnight.  I'm so excited!

It's a guy thing! 

He still has 17 3/4 hours before he starts packing.  How long can it take to throw 6 t shirts, 4 shorts, some bvds, 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of jeans and flip flops into a cardboard box? :rofl2:

It's a guy thing! 

He still has 17 3/4 hours before he starts packing.  How long can it take to throw 6 t shirts, 4 shorts, some bvds, 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of jeans and flip flops into a cardboard box? :rofl2:

LOL!  You don't know David.  He packs more clothes than I do.

How's your head injury this morning?  Have a really safe trip, and we hope to see you at the Fort.  We should be arriving on Friday (one week from today - YEA!). and we have requested the 700 loop, too.

Head is still very painful.  Probably will be for several days.  Thanks for asking!  Looking forward to meeting you next week!

I'm in, what an incredible trip!!  Can't wait to hear more...

Thanks for reading!

Steve is the same way when it comes to packing.

I'm sorry for you.  Hope he at least doesn't gripe and complain about how much he has to do at the last minute like David does.

We just got back from an emergency run to Home Depot to replace the tie-down straps he couldn't find.

We're the same way Yvonne, I get EVERYTHING ready in the camper except his clothes. Bedding, food, toiletries, miscellaneous accessories, my clothes. Then when I'm actually pulling out the camper and hitching it up, (which is usually the night before) Rick will grab his clothes, and medication (counted out by day in little baggies) and lay them on the bed, and I'll load them in the camper drawers.

No, he does not gripe or complain. He usually gets his clothes laid out and then asks me if I can help him pack them. I figure helping him then will save me from having to iron his clothes later.

That's nice of him!

We're the same way Yvonne, I get EVERYTHING ready in the camper except his clothes. Bedding, food, toiletries, miscellaneous accessories, my clothes. Then when I'm actually pulling out the camper and hitching it up, (which is usually the night before) Rick will grab his clothes, and medication (counted out by day in little baggies) and lay them on the bed, and I'll load them in the camper drawers.

I get everything ready too except loading the golf cart and David's clothes.

The picture of Miracle and the NICU story choked me up. 

I hope you have a blast with your family! I know you will. 

Sorry, Kelly.  I didn't mean to choke you up.