Wow I just found this site yesterday and I'm so glad I did. We purchased a Class C last month and our first big trip will be to the Fort Dec 22nd to 26th.  Somehow I lucked out and grabbed a cancellation for a full hook up site for those days. When I made the reservation last month the CM suggested loop 1600 but after going through the threads I'm thinking 1700 or 1800, I realize its a long shot but I'm going to send a fax and see what happens. I'm just happy to be going. I also called this morning and asked about a golf cart rental thinking they would be booked but was told they have plenty ( I'm sure its the price) so I reserved one of those as well.  We will need a car for one day and I'm going to go through the auto care center. Do you recommend reserving in advance?  Are there any other things I should know about camping during Christmas week.

You were really lucky to get that reservation!

The main thing about Christmas week is that the Fort and all the parks will be super busy.  It is good that you reserved a golf cart- you will love to loop around on it looking at all of the Christmas decorations.

The 1700 loop might be a little quieter than the 1600 loop, but lots of folks love the 1600 loop, so either one is good.

1800 is definitely quieter than 1600 and 1700.  1900 is the quietest, and the least desired, mainly because it's so remote.  But at that time of year, you have to take what you can get.

If you have any plans to eat in a sit down restaurant, you had better try to make reservations now, although I expect there won't be much to pick from- people make these 180 days in advance.  So, plan on eating most meals at your site, or at the quick serve restaurants.

I don't know about renting a car, but since it's holiday time, I think a reservation would be smart there too.

Have fun!

You're going at a great time of year!

TCD

Welcome! 

I just know you will love the Fort and everything it has to offer. 

Regarding the car care center....DEFINITELY reserve a car if you know what day(s) you will want it.  That's a busy time of year, obviously.  Also, I believe your choices are Alamo and National.  Look for discount codes to save some money!  If you are members of AAA, Costco, Sams or other affinity type organizations, you might look into a discount code to apply to your car rental.  The savings can be significant!  Also, try Googling for codes if you don't get one elsewhere.  I've always found codes, but being Christmas week might change that. 

I'd suggest getting a take out chicken dinner one evening from Trails End and sitting at the picnic tables on the porch to enjoy it.  It's called the Giddyap And Go....or GAG for short.  One of the best deals on Disney property. 

Ask any questions you have....someone here will have an answer. 

Welcome to our crazy group!!! 

I second Dave's recommendation for a GAG dinner one night. 

Are you new to Disney as well or just new to the Fort? Feel free to ask away. There's tons of knowledge around here. 

If you really want to get crazy, get a sign, and you can meet some real live Fiends. 

Congrats on the Class C purchase. We love ours! 

:welcome:

Since you are going to have a golf cart I would not sweat what loop you are going to get. Even the 1900 loop this time of year is not bad. It's in the rainy season that you REALLY want to avoid that area as it tends to hold water like the swamp it once was. Although I do agree it would be my last choice.  Like others have said it will be as busy as it ever gets.  Not sure where you are from but the weather that time of year can be pretty unpredictable. So be prepared with clothes you can layer and pull off as the days warm.  If you are going to be spending much time in the parks go ahead and download My Disney Experience to your phones and tablets and spend time familiarizing yourself with the apps. You can also go and customize the magic bands you will be getting and if you already have park tickets link them to your bands and make some fast pass + selections.  Be sure and use the device you will use in the parks. The app works a lot better for me on my iPad but I use an android phone in the parks and they are different. I would make a reservation for everything that you can. I would not bank on anything being available as a walk up.  You will love the Fort especially at Christmas. The campers really go all out decorating.     

Thank you everyone for the info.  We have done all of the parks several times and we are looking forward to exploring everything else WDW has to offer on this trip. At the Fort we are looking forward to going Horseback Riding, have reservations for the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and exploring all that the Fort has to offer. We also plan on visiting Disney Boardwalk, Downtown Disney and the hotels to view their Christmas Displays.  A GAG dinner is now on the list too.

I don't know how many of you there are, but when you get your GAG, they will ask you what two sides you want.  Be advised there are other sides available, especially convenient if you have a crowd.

And WELCOME!!! :welcrowd: .  We'll be there Dec 8 thru jan 5, so look for our FF sign and say Howdy.   :wheelchair:

Thank you for all the info it is very helpful. I was planning on driving to DD. We will now take the bus. There is a total of 4 members of the family. Myself my husband and my two adult children (21 & 22) glad to know you can add side items onto the GAG. We are going to explore some of the hotels are there any you recommend driving to rather than taking the bus?

Oh and as an FYI, we do most of our resort visiting in conjunction with a park visit.  We'll visit the Epcot resorts after visiting Epcot, just walk out the back, then continue our wandering towards Studios and get a direct bus from the Studios.

We'll visit POFQ, POR, OKW from a park, then boat to DTD, then bus back to the Fort

We occasionally go play mini golf at Blizzard Beach, then bus or walk over to Coronado Springs, then go visit a park

For our animal Kingdom Lodge visit, we'll go to Animal Kingdom for a bit, then late breakfast at Boma, tour the resort for a bit, then bus to Magic Kingdom, and boat back to the Fort.

So, in short, we rarely "just travel by bus" to a resort, we pair the resort visit with something else, so that we're not taking two buses just because.

Sometimes the bus rides give you a well needed down time, a good chance to relax...if they aren't too crowded. If you take the boat to the Magic Kingdom then walk over to the bus depot, you can catch a bus to everywhere. We did that to AKL a couple of weekends ago and it was pretty quick. Return trip we took the bus to Hollywood (just missed the one to MK) then from Hollywood back to the Fort. Again it wasn't too long. But if you are on a tight schedule driving is by far the quickest.