Photopass-Many lost pictures & Epcot sphere caving in?

I ordered our Christmas cards today (but almost did not) with a photopass picture we took at the MVMCP by the soldiers with the castle in the background. Since we used our Magic bands now, we swiped our band vs using the photopass cards. BIG MISTAKE. My advice to anyone who is there now, If you are utilizing photopass do it with the cards only.  

We have lost many pictures we had taken due to this. The picture I had taken for our Christmas Cards was lost. Some of our photos showed up and some did not. I lost all the pictures where you hold your hand out and something cute will appear on the picture..I really wanted those for a photo book. Fail.

I called yesterday and waited over 41 minutes before I  got a human. I had a very nice and helpful man who preformed a miracle and found our Christmas picture. BUT I was able to tell him what photopass station, what date and an approximate time. After letting him know how many people were in the photo and what they were wearing he was able to find our pictures. So I got lucky there. But the other ones are gone because I did not mark down times and places of photos I had taken.Who would? We took many at different times no way I could remember or track all that.

I should have known better, since this was a special trip (Lukas (1) first visit and my Mom was with us) I should have gone with what has always worked (The photopass card) and not been lazy and just used our bands.

I also was told by a Photopass girl, one of the ones who did a bunch of neat photos for us which I will now never see, told me I could type in the number on the back of our band on the PP site and I have found this to not work, so I am not sure where she got that info from. 

Bottom line, Don't count on the Magic Band system for your Photopass pictures or you will be sorry

:clint: 

PS. When I was leaving Epcot one afternoon over a week ago it looked like the Sphere was caving in on top, I did get a picture on my phone. And I wish I could post here because no one believes me! (posting pictures here is hard for me) Has anyone ever seen this? Or am I loosing it......?.

I took several photos of the top of Spaceship Earth.  It looks like many of the panes have melted.  Will post pics in my TR.

My DS and DDIL used their bands for photos, and we were lucky that we didn't lose anything.  But I do have photos of an unknown family on Splash.  Just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with them trying to get that straightened out.  

Thanks Gwen!  I even made a bunch of strangers look at it while at the bus stop and they all looked at me like I was a nut. Could be because they did not speak English and had no idea what I was babbeling about.....

Glad you have all your pictures! I knew better, that is what I get for being lazy.

Last year while at Disney I checked ours on line and found a few missing.  I sent an e-mail to them and they found them and they were posted within a few hours.   Good Luck.   

When my mom got prints made from PP (this was a few years ago) so also got the photos of some other family.

No worries.

It's only a test.

A very long and never-ending test.

But, it's still a test.

And so what if you have to make a lengthy phone call?  Maybe they'll find your photos.  Have a magical day.

TCD

Im going to jump in here and defend photopass.

To start, the photographer who told you that you could enter your band ID into the website was mistaken. How it works is, when we scan the bands, the photos are associated to that band ID. The band ID is encoded to the photos and they belong to that band ID. There is no way to screw up the system. Its automatic. Where the problems arise are when the bands are associated to your MDE account. If the bands are not properly associated, or the MDE account and mydisneyphotopass account are not related properly, then the photos will never make it to your account. This has nothing to do with photopass. This is the mymagic+ side of the equation. The disassociation could come from various places. Changes were made to the reservation, new bands were issued, changes to your MDE account were made, whatever. Its a finicky system.  

With that said, it is unfortunate that you lost your photos. I am glad that they found some. It is a new system and there are growing pains. For future reference and to benefit anyone else if this unfortunate thing happens to them, there is a form you can fill out on the website that you can use to find those lost photos. You can even upload a picture of your family so the tech can verify the correct photos are put on your account. You send in the form and in a couple of days, your photos magically appear in your account. 

We do not anticipate this, but know that it will happen.

There are allot of photos taken in a typical park day.

In an average 8 hour shift, I can average around 2500 photos. That's just me. There are 200 photographers who work at the MK a day. That's 500000 photos taken and sent through cyberspace to the server located 10 miles away. Add in the other 3 parks, downtown Disney, ESPN, and every resort. You can see the technological feat.

If you can, please humor me and do a few things for me.

First,

Log into your MDE account, the one with the bands, and click on the photopass link.

Across the top, under where it says memories, you should see some links. These will be the parks you had your photos taken. You should see Magic Kingdom, and one that says Resorts and More.

Select Resorts and more.

Since this was a MVMCP, your photos should be here.

Im sure you already knew this, but many do not.

Now, were all of your pictures scanned onto the same MB or were they on different MBs?

If they were all on the same, skip the next step.

If they were all on different MBs, Is it just the photos form one particular MB missing, or is it random?

Think very hard about one of the photos you had taken. One with a character is easier. Date, aprox time, location, and what you were wearing.

Now, send me a PM with that info, and possibly post a picture here from that day, and I will search for the photo. If they are form the same MB, all I need to find is one and I can find the rest, add them to a card and send the card number to you. If your pictures were scanned to different MBs, it will be a little more difficult as I will need a photo from each MB scanned to find them. Our system will register each individual band and will not know if they are associated with any others.

Also in the PM, include the MB id numbers of the ones you scanned photos to and an aprox number of photos you are looking for. Sometimes they will show up in our system but not the website, due to the association problems in MDE.

I cannot guarantee anything, but if I get the info I will look and see what I can do.

Im going to jump in here and defend photopass.

To start, the photographer who told you that you could enter your band ID into the website was mistaken. How it works is, when we scan the bands, the photos are associated to that band ID. The band ID is encoded to the photos and they belong to that band ID. There is no way to screw up the system. Its automatic. Where the problems arise are when the bands are associated to your MDE account. If the bands are not properly associated, or the MDE account and mydisneyphotopass account are not related properly, then the photos will never make it to your account. This has nothing to do with photopass. This is the mymagic+ side of the equation. The disassociation could come from various places. Changes were made to the reservation, new bands were issued, changes to your MDE account were made, whatever. Its a finicky system.  

With that said, it is unfortunate that you lost your photos. I am glad that they found some. It is a new system and there are growing pains. For future reference and to benefit anyone else if this unfortunate thing happens to them, there is a form you can fill out on the website that you can use to find those lost photos. You can even upload a picture of your family so the tech can verify the correct photos are put on your account. You send in the form and in a couple of days, your photos magically appear in your account. 

We do not anticipate this, but know that it will happen.

There are allot of photos taken in a typical park day.

In an average 8 hour shift, I can average around 2500 photos. That's just me. There are 200 photographers who work at the MK a day. That's 500000 photos taken and sent through cyberspace to the server located 10 miles away. Add in the other 3 parks, downtown Disney, ESPN, and every resort. You can see the technological feat.

If you can, please humor me and do a few things for me.

First,

Log into your MDE account, the one with the bands, and click on the photopass link.

Across the top, under where it says memories, you should see some links. These will be the parks you had your photos taken. You should see Magic Kingdom, and one that says Resorts and More.

Select Resorts and more.

Since this was a MVMCP, your photos should be here.

Im sure you already knew this, but many do not.

Now, were all of your pictures scanned onto the same MB or were they on different MBs?

If they were all on the same, skip the next step.

If they were all on different MBs, Is it just the photos form one particular MB missing, or is it random?

Think very hard about one of the photos you had taken. One with a character is easier. Date, aprox time, location, and what you were wearing.

Now, send me a PM with that info, and possibly post a picture here from that day, and I will search for the photo. If they are form the same MB, all I need to find is one and I can find the rest, add them to a card and send the card number to you. If your pictures were scanned to different MBs, it will be a little more difficult as I will need a photo from each MB scanned to find them. Our system will register each individual band and will not know if they are associated with any others.

Also in the PM, include the MB id numbers of the ones you scanned photos to and an aprox number of photos you are looking for. Sometimes they will show up in our system but not the website, due to the association problems in MDE.

I cannot guarantee anything, but if I get the info I will look and see what I can do.

That's a lot of interesting information and amazing facts.

It is astounding how they can keep things in line with so few screw ups .

Thanks for the great post.

Thanks for the info Devores.  It is good to know there are ways to find the pics - we'll keep that in mind on our trip.  Are you still hanging out with talking Mickey?  We'll be in MK tomorrow - Saturday!!! 

Hope to spot you if you are working.