Has everyone gotten this box before their Magic Bands?

This might be old news, but I'm posting it just in case it's not. While I was out of town, a box arrived. It's not the Magic Bands box; it's basically a box explaining what they are.

Here it is.

37C82CA0-44EA-496A-8E57-F4436C4CB9F9.jpg

It came with a personalized book.

81A4B8CF-5C2E-4307-9459-B4C38B8B0242.jpg

Notice they welcome us back to the Fort.

81CB1639-EEBF-4CCB-BD8F-3AFA3BA0D2D6.jpg

It also came with this.

0017F6C4-F403-4C2A-BB33-883721209B52.jpg

A3FD6996-BB53-4E93-BD7E-01E2416FBF9F.jpg

The USB contained 2 videos explaining Magic Bands and FP+.

Seems like an expensive way to educate people.

My son-in-law told me about this article on Mice Chat. According to the article, the folks who designed the Magic Band technology aren't park, customer service people - they are techy people. The program isn't going as well as Disney had hoped.

http://micechat.com/49401-my-magic-plus-failure/

Expensive, what do they care, you're paying for it?

They're not trying to get people to buy into it, it's to educate guests so that when they arrive, they're able to make the transition from the old system to the new system with as few problems as possible.

And it's not just educating guests. The internal effort to educate CMs has been impressive. They've conducted Town hall meetings where high, and very high, level managers informed CMs about what was about to happen. Bus transportation had their meetings before the MBs began to be tested.

The internal CM website "The HUB", has everything CMs need to know spelled out in great detail, and they've published handbooks for every CM that wants one.

It's all in the one billion dollar budget?

I doubt the system will be allowed to fail.  But that doesn't mean it was a good idea.  I've disliked the entire concept from the first moment I heard about it.  Just because you can create a high-tech system does not mean you should.  We aren't talking about an electronic medical records system where patient care and safety can be enhanced....real life or death stuff.  We're talking about theme parks.  I just want to go and ride rides, and see shows, and eat some stuff.  Don't complicate it.  

I doubt the system will be allowed to fail.  But that doesn't mean it was a good idea.  I've disliked the entire concept from the first moment I heard about it.  Just because you can create a high-tech system does not mean you should.  We aren't talking about an electronic medical records system where patient care and safety can be enhanced....real life or death stuff.  We're talking about theme parks.  I just want to go and ride rides, and see shows, and eat some stuff.  Don't complicate it.  

In a way,I like the program.  There are a few rides I want to do in a day and after that its really just people watching (and maybe a Dole Whip).  This allows me to do that.  There will alsway be a certain percentage of folks who just show up, wander around and wait in lines.  I don't want to be them.

There is a certain ewww factor to them knowing what I do all the time, but hey - everyone is following me around. Get my credit card records, my EZpass records and a few other things and you have me nailed.....

Oh wait, my car has a black box and most companies I deal with trade information so nothing is secret anymore.......

With some tweaks, I could be happy with the program. Mainly, I want more than 3 FP+ in the MK. I don't mind the planning part because I do that anyway. Also, the tiers make more than 2 FP+ at Epcot pretty worthless. If they move illuminations seating and Maelstrom to tier 2, it would make me happier.

I agree with many about this topic, they will not fail. Disney has way to much invested. I can tell you I know on this trip we have seen a price increase on everything at the fort from trails ends meals to trading post groceries and souvenirs. Some things by 20%. I guess they have to make up money somewhere. It kills me that we have 2 more Ressies for the fort before next May and they are tellingme already they are sendin me more custom magic bands. The packaging alone is a huge waste of money. Now they are sending more boxes with flash drives....seriously. I say that because we will pay for all this somewhere

There is a certain ewww factor to them knowing what I do all the time, but hey - everyone is following me around. Get my credit card records, my EZpass records and a few other things and you have me nailed.....

The MyMagic+ program is able to track you, but so can the current system.

If you have charging privileges on your KTTW card, and use it to get FPs, isn't that a trail? What's the difference?

I think it's silly, but if people don't want to be tracked, they shouldn't put charging privileges on their MDE account, and they shouldn't get FPs.

You cannot be tracked unless you tap the MB on a reader.

The MyMagic+ program is able to track you, but so can the current system.

If you have charging privileges on your KTTW card, and use it to get FPs, isn't that a trail? What's the difference?

I think it's silly, but if people don't want to be tracked, they shouldn't put charging privileges on their MDE account, and they shouldn't get FPs.

You cannot be tracked unless you tap the MB on a reader.

I joke about the tracking and whatnot, but I really don't care about it.  I just think the system is too complicated for a vacation, and without a smart phone you can't really take advantage of the "real time" benefits, which creates a have and have-not system.  The existing FP system was open to everyone who chose to use it.  If this system were designed to provide these technological benefits to those who choose to use it while not harming those who do not, I wouldn't mind.  But unfortunately the system is designed to benefit the tech-savvy at the detriment of others who now will be standing in longer lines without the ability to get FP's unless they planned ahead, which not everyone cares to or is capable of doing.   

Once this goes 100% live, they better have a lot of kiosks. 

I guess I will reserve judgement until I've used the system some day. 

They have kiosks all over every park. So you will have one close by no matter where you are. The kiosks are active now.