First Time Ft. Wilderness camper: stressing out

My family will be arriving at the Fort on Sunday, Dec. 21 and staying until January 4. I've started reading some threads here and now I'm stressing out. We are 4 adults, 3 kids and 2 big dogs in our 45' Class A, quad-slide. I have a preferred site reserved (except for 1 night I was only able to get Full but hoping between now and then I can get that changed). I'm stressing out that we won't get a decent site (I don't mind the sand in the back) just worried about out size. We have our golf cart rented too, so location isn't as important but the SIZE of our rig and the lot size has me worried now.  I would be booked a premium site but even when we booked back in March they were already all full. I'm assuming I should give the Fort a call and letting them know our size. Someone hold me and tell me it will be all right. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YES! I got on the Disney site first thing this morning and there was an available preferred site for our last missing night!!! I was so excited I could barely type in my CC info. So now I have a prefe

Well, just to be safe I booked our site next year Dec. 17- Jan. 3 for premium. I'll cancel just the days I don't need or the whole thing if we decide not to go. I'll show you Disney quirks!!!

Below are the plans I make whenever I go to a park.   1. enter park 2. do whatever 3. exit park   Whadya think?

My family will be arriving at the Fort on Sunday, Dec. 21 and staying until January 4. I've started reading some threads here and now I'm stressing out. We are 4 adults, 3 kids and 2 big dogs in our 45' Class A, quad-slide. I have a preferred site reserved (except for 1 night I was only able to get Full but hoping between now and then I can get that changed). I'm stressing out that we won't get a decent site (I don't mind the sand in the back) just worried about out size. We have our golf cart rented too, so location isn't as important but the SIZE of our rig and the lot size has me worried now.  I would be booked a premium site but even when we booked back in March they were already all full. I'm assuming I should give the Fort a call and letting them know our size. Someone hold me and tell me it will be all right. 

Hi Jamie. Your best bet is definitely to call Disney and have all the information about your camper added to your reservation. The person who assigns the sites will use that to try and get you into the best possible site. 

You will definitely want to try and get the one day changed to a Preferred site. Otherwise you may have to move during your reservation. 

Edited to fix the site size. 

Take a deep breath.

Relax.

You're going to be fine.

Remember, until they converted a bunch of the old preferred and full hook up sites to premium sites four years ago, there was no such thing as a premium site at the Fort, and folks with 45' or larger motorhomes fit just fine.

It would be better if you had a premium site, but you're coming at the busiest time of year, and that may not be possible at this late date.

Still, look up Jason at Mousecounselors here on the sponsors page: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259 . See if he can help you out with making sure your reservation is for the same level of campsite throughout.

If you can't get a premium site, see if you can get a full. If not, then you will be a little snug on a preferred site, but you'll be fine.

TCD

By the way, the full sites actually are roomier than the high priced neighborhoods. Some of us like it there.

Thanks for the tips. I called Disney and stressed that we are in a big rig and need the largest pet-friendly preferred site they've got. I'll call the Fort 10 days before we arrive and double check the info. I'm not that worried about the night we only have a full-hook up. I've pieced these two weeks together reservation wise so I just keep waiting for that last night to open up. When I first booked these two weeks there were night we didn't have any site booked so it's looking muuuucccch better than it did originally.

I'll check with Jason and see what he can do. I'd love an "upgrade" to premium since we are there for two weeks, but I know it will be fun and fine in long run. I'm a seasoned Disney vet, but this is our first time and the Fort so all those stresses I had our first disney visit are coming back in a new way.  :whew:

I'm just ready to get there, put up the decorations and enjoy our two weeks. Thanks everyone, I can't wait to read more on this board.

I just checked and there are spots available these dates in the 3000 loop.

For all of the dates? I just checked and a premium appears to be open for our only "missing" night of the 28th. Do you see all of my nights available (Dec. 22 - Jan 4)? Tell this Ft. newbie more please.

Fort Wilderness Guy is pulling your chain..the 3000 loop is a fiends fantasy...for now

So knowing what you know, about the Ft. and our rig, what loop should I request, since 3000 is out  :banghead:

With  preferred site and a pet you will probably be put in loop 300. You might want to take a look at the App Fort Wilderness Sites. It has measurements of all the sites and pictures so you can see what they look like. You can also fax in a request around 5 days before to try and get a specific site and remind them of your criteria. 

Also, is the night that's different in your reservation at the beginning or end? This is going to sound weird, but try getting a reservation for 2-4 weeks that include the night you need. The. You can cancel what you don't need and link your 2 reservations.

For my 4 night January stay, I had to book 3 weeks and then shorten it.

Also, is the night that's different in your reservation at the beginning or end? This is going to sound weird, but try getting a reservation for 2-4 weeks that include the night you need. The. You can cancel what you don't need and link your 2 reservations.

For my 4 night January stay, I had to book 3 weeks and then shorten it.

It's in the middle.

Welcome Jamie!

If you have a smart phone, download the FortFiends app - link here

It will give you site dimensions to help you figure out which sites you're most likely to fit in. 

300 is the only Preferred Pet loop, and likely where you'll be assigned.  There are some roomy sites in that loop, but not too many.

I'd recommend making a list of sites that you think will work based on the app, and keep it with you when you check-in. If they assign you a site that won't work, ask about one of the others.  It can also help to check in as early in the day as you can. 

And worst case, if you pull up to the site assigned to you and you realize you're not going to fit, you can ask to be moved.  Some folks recommend driving around and scoping out empty sites in your loop and then calling or going up to the front desk and asking if you can have one of those.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!!