First Time Ft. Wilderness camper: stressing out

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YES! I got on the Disney site first thing this morning and there was an available preferred site for our last missing night!!! I was so excited I could barely type in my CC info. So now I have a prefe

Well, just to be safe I booked our site next year Dec. 17- Jan. 3 for premium. I'll cancel just the days I don't need or the whole thing if we decide not to go. I'll show you Disney quirks!!!

Below are the plans I make whenever I go to a park.   1. enter park 2. do whatever 3. exit park   Whadya think?

The only night we don't have preferred for is the 28th.

I saw that in an earlier post. I have played with dates in every direction and range I can and nothing for Preferred at the moment. If I do see something though I will let you know. I check for dates for people all day. It's part of the job. I hope you get the one you need so you can get that stress off of your mind. 

I saw that in an earlier post. I have played with dates in every direction and range I can and nothing for Preferred at the moment. If I do see something though I will let you know. I check for dates for people all day. It's part of the job. I hope you get the one you need so you can get that stress off of your mind. 

THANKS! I've been checking frequently too. It baffles me that just ONE night can be fully booked. I mean, I'm sure someone local comes and camps for a night, but I know I couldn't do that! 

As you read this site remember this, many many of us have been multiple times.  Some multiple times every year.  We stress about details like which loop we prefer, which site is the best, what's better to be near and such because we like talking this stuff and planning.  If you don't fit, you can call the front desk they will help you.  In the end, Fort Management wants you to be happy so you will come back.  And we are here, so ask away... 

Just don't sweat it.  It will be fun.  Relax, breath, have fun...IT'S VACATION!

Looking at the app sites on the 300 loop and I'm starting to wonder if we would have been better off with a full-hook up. I'm worrying about the 45' backing into some of the 300 sites. I'm sure others have done it. Oh well, next time. Two weeks will give hubby and I plenty of time to look around and plan our next trips and what sites we want.

I was going over the site info with my husband and next years travel plans came up. I mentioned if we wanted premium we should book soon. I went to the Disney site and looked at our two week dates and get this, all nights are open for all sites except Dec 28 (premium not open) that's the same night I don't have preferred for our upcoming trip. What is it with Dec 28 in the Fort?

As you read this site remember this, many many of us have been multiple times. Some multiple times every year. We stress about details like which loop we prefer, which site is the best, what's better to be near and such because we like talking this stuff and planning. If you don't fit, you can call the front desk they will help you. In the end, Fort Management wants you to be happy so you will come back. And we are here, so ask away...

Just don't sweat it. It will be fun. Relax, breath, have fun...IT'S VACATION!

This is a very important point.

I was going over the site info with my husband and next years travel plans came up. I mentioned if we wanted premium we should book soon. I went to the Disney site and looked at our two week dates and get this, all nights are open for all sites except Dec 28 (premium not open) that's the same night I don't have preferred for our upcoming trip. What is it with Dec 28 in the Fort?

Playing with dates for next year I can get premium to show up with Dec 28 for next year. I had to go to Dec 17, 2014 to Jan 3, 2015.

Looking at the app sites on the 300 loop and I'm starting to wonder if we would have been better off with a full-hook up.

As usual, all roads lead back to FWGuy. You need to stop listening to everyone who freaks out about whether they will get their favorite site in the high priced neighborhood and whether they are selling cinnamon buns at the Main Street bakery or not. FWGuy will give you sound and solid advice that will save you money that you can spend on important stuff like Bibiddy Bobiddy Boutique. Too many people freak out and worry about creating the perfect Fort experience and end up disappointed. Sit down, Grasshopper, and I will show you the path to true Fort Wilderness nirvanna and a great Disney experience.

Playing with dates for next year I can get premium to show up with Dec 28 for next year. I had to go to Dec 17, 2014 to Jan 3, 2015.

Just curious, but why do you have to play with dates so much to get some random date to show up? I've had other people tell me that too, it just seems like a weird system.

Thanks for checking and letting me know, by the way!

As usual, all roads lead back to FWGuy. You need to stop listening to everyone who freaks out about whether they will get their favorite site in the high priced neighborhood and whether they are selling cinnamon buns at the Main Street bakery or not. FWGuy will give you sound and solid advice that will save you money that you can spend on important stuff like Bibiddy Bobiddy Boutique. Too many people freak out and worry about creating the perfect Fort experience and end up disappointed. Sit down, Grasshopper, and I will show you the path to true Fort Wilderness nirvanna and a great Disney experience.

Thanks. Now about about this loop 3000... :)

Just curious, but why do you have to play with dates so much to get some random date to show up? I've had other people tell me that too, it just seems like a weird system.

Thanks for checking and letting me know, by the way!

The short answer is because the reservation system is cuckoo.

The long answer is that it seems that the reservation system is either super buggy or intentionally setup to discourage short stays - and especially weekend stays.  It's pretty normal that if you try and book a couple of days (particularly over a weekend) and there's no availability showing, that if you then search for 10-14 days with those days included in the middle somewhere, the availability shows up.

I once had to book 2 weeks just to get the one Friday I needed.

Like I said - cuckoo.

What many folks have learned is that you book a longer stay that includes the days you want, then call back asap and drop the unwanted days.  

The long answer is that it seems that the reservation system is either super buggy or intentionally setup to discourage short stays - and especially weekend stays.  It's pretty normal that if you try and book a couple of days (particularly over a weekend) and there's no availability showing, that if you then search for 10-14 days with those days included in the middle somewhere, the availability shows up.

Like I said - cuckoo.

What many folks have learned is that you book a longer stay that includes the days you want, then call back asap and drop the unwanted days.  

The dining reservation system is the same way (or at least used to be).  One time, we had trouble getting a reservation at the Captain's Grill.  We finally made a reservation for later than we wanted, but showed up way early, hoping to be able to get a table.  When we got there, the place was empty.  I saw a manager and told him that the reservation system said they were full.  He asked if we tried for two people, and I said yes.  He said the system will often show no availability for a small party hoping that larger parties will make reservations instead.  He said to him, it hurts more than it helps.  Maybe the reservation system works the same way.

...He said the system will often show no availability for a small party hoping that larger parties will make reservations instead.  He said to him, it hurts more than it helps.  Maybe the reservation system works the same way.

I actually just recently heard that about the dining reservation system too.  Does seem to be a similar situation.

Yes with reservations for dining if you can not get what you want for a party of two try 4 or 5. If you get it you can then call and cancel the extra people. Another fun joy of being a travel agent for Disney. Working around their systems to get what the customer wants/needs.

Like I said - cuckoo.

Mo summed this up perfectly. 

I too question the original intent of the twerks.

Another question. The way we had to put together our reservation this year was to make 8 reservations. Some are just for one night and some are for several. All but one night are for preferred. Do I need to have Disney combine those reservations or will it all come together? I'm assuming we won't have to move 8 times :lol: But it does appear we are getting 8 sets of Magic Bands. I called about that one and was told that because it's automated and in test phase they can't NOT send us 8 sets of bands, but that we would only need one set of them. That seems silly, but whatever. 

Another question. The way we had to put together our reservation this year was to make 8 reservations. Some are just for one night and some are for several. All but one night are for preferred. Do I need to have Disney combine those reservations or will it all come together? I'm assuming we won't have to move 8 times :)) But it does appear we are getting 8 sets of Magic Bands. I called about that one and was told that because it's automated and in test phase they can't NOT send us 8 sets of bands, but that we would only need one set of them. That seems silly, but whatever.

8 sets of Magic Bands?

No wonder the rates are through the roof!

The official policy is that they can make you move sites.  They can also make you check in and out for each reservation.  Hopefully, you will have a helpful castmember when you check in, and that won't be necessary.

TCD

That would be ridiculous. Back to stressing out.

One thing you can do to alleviate that is make sure all 8 reservations are linked together. It really is doubtful they will make you move, but you will have to go to the front desk each morning of a new reservation and make sure "that" set of MBs is activated.