DaveInNY's Time Warp 2001 (Plus 2004) Trip Report

What's that?  DaveIn NEW YORK?  

Yep.  

Before I was DaveInTN....I was DaveInNY.  Well, not officially.  But until 2003, we lived in Buffalo.  It's where the 3 oldest DIT girls were born.  And it's where we lived when we first brought them to Disney.

I recently decided to undertake the task of digitizing all of our old photo albums.  We have tons of pictures from when our girls were little, up until 2003 when we got our first digital camera.  I purchased an inexpensive and easy to use photo scanner on ebay recently and have begun scanning.  The first album I scanned included some pictures from our first Disney trip as a family.  So I figured....what the heck.  Let's put together a little trip report!  There will be very little narrative....it was a long time ago and my memory is what it is.  But I'll share the pics in case anyone is interested.  

So....back in early 2001, I was in the midst of making a big change in my career.  I was working for a large hospital system, and was burning out.  Long hours, lots of stress, few rewards....I was ready for a change.  In May, I accepted an offer and submitted my resignation.  As it worked out, I had a little time between jobs, so decided to plan a last minute trip.  And so our first Disney trip was born!  

We were still a year away from purchasing our first pop up, so I had to book a hotel.  I decided on the WL, and actually ended up booking a Villa to have the kitchen, bedroom and laundry.  Booked flights from Buffalo, and in late May, we were off!!  

Let's get started with pics!  Here are the girls in the waiting area at Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

EK_0034.JPG

Coming up.....we arrive and hit Downtown Disney!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was a pretty short trip....4 or 5 days IIRC.  I don't remember how many park days we did, but I don't think we did any parks besides MK.  Our girls were little, and it was a quick boat ride from

Thanks for joining everyone!  

Ok....this is what I recall.  We flew direct from Buffalo to MCO, and went to get our rental car.  I don't recall what rental company we used, but I do remember the car.  It was rather unforgetable....a school bus yellow Pontiac Aztec.   :rofl3:   

As ugly as the car was, I will say that it was great as a rental.  Comfortable, roomy and easy to drive.  It fit the bill.  

We drove straight to the WL, got the car unloaded and parked, and checked in.  Like I mentioned earlier, we booked a villa, so after checking in at the Lodge, we walked down the covered walkway to the VWL and went to our room.  No pics unfortunately....keep in mind that in the days of film and developing, you weren't as likely to take pictures of things like hotel rooms, rental cars and (unbelievably) food.  

After settling into the room, we bused it over to DTD to walk around and get some dinner.  

The kids LOVED the dancing fountains.  We let them play in it in their clothes after the long travel day.  My oldest, who is turning 18 soon but was 5 here, loved it.

EK_0035.JPG

EK_0036.JPG

Here is DD16....who was 3 at the time.

EK_0037.JPG

I posted this pic on FB yesterday.....with the header "Pure Joy".  

EK_0038.JPG

We had dinner plans that evening at Rainforest Cafe.  

EK_0042.JPG

I really thought it would be a big hit, but the noises and thunder sounds scared the crap out of my 2 youngest, especially being they were so tired.  You can see DD16 wasn't a happy camper here.

EK_0041.JPG

We walked around DTD afterward to check out the sights.  And apparently we bought them Minnie ears in the store behind them here....

EK_0039.JPG

EK_0040.JPG

EK_0043.JPG

I like this picture of INC with DD16.  

EK_0044.JPG

That's all the pictures I have of day 1.  The next morning (according to the picture order in the album) was our breakfast with the princesses.  That is coming up in the next update.  

I kept our baby stuff. Heard if you get rid of it you end up with another baby. Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm not taking any chances. :rofl2:

A wise woman!  Right after I got rid of all our baby stuff we had a surprise!  But he was a blessing in disguise and I can't imagine life without him.

I kept our baby stuff. Heard if you get rid of it you end up with another baby. Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm not taking any chances. :rofl2:

A wise woman!  Right after I got rid of all our baby stuff we had a surprise!  But he was a blessing in disguise and I can't imagine life without him.

We never had a surprise, but we would have rolled with it I am sure.  What's one more, right?  Not.   :rofl3:

Wow there is still some space left on page 1. 

You guys took care of that quick.  

Great start, I'm in! Looking forward to more

Thanks for reading!

INC hasn't changed a bit.

You are still one lucky man.

I know that to be true.  

First trip! I'm in!

Thanks for joining!

Not anymore. Why did you have to DIT me?

Now I'm stuck on page two.

Could thing page 2 is the new page one.

Inc and the girls look great.

As for Dave...

Sorry, but page 2 is not the new page one.  It is simply page 2.  But somewhat respectable, nonetheless.  

Oh, and as far as the last comment.... :banghead:

As I mentioned in the last update, we had a reservation the next morning at Cindy's Royal Table.  

Now, back in 2001, there was no Disney Dining website.  Heck, they didn't develop a website for reservations until a couple years ago.  In any case, there was only the phone system to make reservations.  And as we had planned this trip last minute, CRT was of course booked up.  This was in the days before I was involved in any internet forums or Disney groups, so I had no insider knowledge regarding how to manage the system.  But luckily, I had a friend at work who was "in the know", and she gave me pointers regarding calling right when the lines open in the morning starting I think 5 days prior to our dates and that some tables would be released at that time.  So....I was up with phone in hand at the appointed time on the appointed day.  And BAM, I got CRT reservations!  We were pumped.  Our girls would be dining in the castle...a first for us!

We arrived at the castle for our reservation that morning and were lead in to get a photo with the Fairy Godmother.  I don't think she is part of the breakfast anymore, but was at that time.  Now days the photo op downstairs is with Cindy herself.  

EK_0050.JPG

EK_0051.JPG

DD16 would have none of it.  Not unusual at that time, being 3 and all.  

After those pictures, we were lead upstairs to the dining room and seated.  

Breakfast in those days was served family style, and was all you can eat.  They brought around coffee, juice and milk for us, as well as a fruit salad and basket of pastries.  The breakfast consisted of french toast stuffed with cream cheese (OMG....I could eat my weight in this stuff), eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes....not sure if anything else.  

While eating, the parade of princesses through the dining room began.  They each visit your table.  

Cindy.

EK_0045.JPG

Belle.

EK_0046.JPG

Jasmine....for Jim.

EK_0047.JPG

I guess she was worth using up 2 of the 24 exposures on the roll.   :rofl2:

EK_0048.JPG

This clown has a creepy smile.  And I'm not sure why he was included in a "Princess" breakfast....I have my ideas but who am I to judge.  

EK_0049.JPG

That's all the photos of breakfast I have.  Notice anyone missing??  

Yep, she was avoiding me even back then, and I didn't even realize it.  

Coming up....we visit someplace that doesn't exist anymore.