color changing LED for Mickey lamp post?

Howdy Fiends,

Happy almost New Year.

So I've made several Mickey lamp posts and generally use a CFL bulb inside. Whenever we visit the Fort I notice other lamps that have color changing bulbs in them. I've looked at Lowes and Home Depot but havent found such a bulb yet.

Open to ideas from FF's.

Thx!

Mike

For a very small fee (1 week in a Premium site, 2 GAG's, and 1 night at the HDDR), I will personally change your bulb every hour on the hour between 6 am and 10pm. You supply the various colored bulbs. And a cooler of beer.

It's more expensive than eBay, but hey, you get to hang out with me.

No Ohana meal required?

I found mine at Home Depot but the only problem is, I have a dusk til dawn light sensor on mine and every night I have to unscrew the head and press the small button to get the light into change mode since it defaults back to solid color once turned off...ugh

Thx for the good replies! And Dave...i would have offered more, especially if you were willing to change it every 15 minutes. But either way, glad to provide a cooler of beer over which to discuss such problems we Fiends face, like this one.

Starbuc...i bought that same bulb and didnt realize it would default back to white each time. I took it back as its a pain to access the bulb in my lamp.

I have been looking for something like that as well and might be ordering one of these to test with: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MB6UEO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=22ZO19XI9JDWW&coliid=I337UYAKTEWOO9

I have been looking for something like that as well and might be ordering one of these to test with: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MB6UEO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=22ZO19XI9JDWW&coliid=I337UYAKTEWOO9

I just ordered the same one.  Reading about them, it seems like they will keep a selected color on start up IF you shut them off with the remote.  Reviews said they come back on in a rotating color scheme if you shut off the power to the fixture which a sensor would do

Either way for less than $5 it sounds like something fun to play with.

That's the one I have. It's true if power is turned off (sensores or unplugging it) it comes back rotating through all colors. If you us the remote to turn it off it comes back to the last selected option. You can change the effects when changing colors as well.

Now, I've had mine for a couple years now and some of the colors have stopped working. I have no red or variations there of. So they do wear out. But that's everyday use for 2 years plus. So not bad for $5. Good news is purple still works.

The bulb I had didn't have a remote or anything fancy like that, it was just a color changing bulb.

However, I rarely use it anymore. Since they have come out with the bright compact flourescants in cool colors I use those.  Orange for Halloween, Red for Christmas, Blue for most of the rest of the year. I did not add extra lights to the ears.

Mike.

Lowes has the color changing bulbs,, got one for our lamp couple of weeks ago for our next trip..

Jim

Sorry to join late but the good thing about the light you returned is that it is hard to break.  I have had mine for almost three years and it gets bumped around a lot.  Must have made about 20 trips with them and they are still running strong.  The bad side for me is that the bulb is just not as bright as some others.

The Lowes bulb has about 6 colored LEDs inside with a button on the side to choose the "program".  I put them in two Mickey lamps.  Only used once.  After extensive testing in the garage, on the Christmas trip one only lit about four colors to start and 1-2 by the end of the trip.  The other worked ok, but is a pain to reset the program after power has been off.  That said, I'm off to Lowes for a new one....about $6.

EDIT:  Just back from Lowes.  The guy stocking the light shelves said I must have gotten my bulb during the Christmas season, and that is the only time they carry that bulb.  But they had a large stock of single color CFL's in several colors.

I was just at Home Depot yesterday. They had the color changing bulb in the same section as the single color CFLs in the regular lightbulb aisle.

Funny note though, HD still had a very small amount of Christmas merchandise discounted at 75% In that selection were a few of the red and green CFLs.

Over in the regular lightbulb aisle, they had the identical CFLs in Red and Green posted at full price. I was after a blacklight CFL, so didn't test to see if ALL of the Red & Green ones were discounted.

FYI, the blacklight CFLs glow a very pretty PURPLE inside the Mickey lamps if ya'll are interested in showing off your SNARKY side!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for all the great replies, gang. Ah, the decisions. Sometimes I actually like the plain ole white CFL bulb in the lamp, especially if there isn't much other light around our campsite. Whatever color....Mickey looks good a glowin'!

Except "GREEN" .