Sing-along 'Frozen' coming to theaters

Bryan Alexander, USA TODAY

1 day ago

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

more

Daram AP

Elsa the Snow Queen, voiced by Idina Menzel, in a scene from the animated feature "Frozen."

Disney is getting serious about fans singing along to the tunes of their box office hit Frozen.

The studio is putting out a special sing-along version hitting 1,000 theaters nationwide starting January 31.

The new version will feature on-screen lyrics with a magical bouncing snowflake to follow along. Just add off-key, joyful singing as moviegoers will be encouraged to join in with the film's stars Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Josh Gad and Jonathan Groff.

"Frozen fans have embraced the film's original songs and its soundtrack with such passion," Dave Hollis, Disney's executive vice president of theatrical distribution said in a statement. "It's a great opportunity for families to get together and have some fun with these songs."

The new version won't hurt the film's Oscar chances after Frozen received two nominations for best animated feature and best song (Let It Go). The film has already earned $773 million worldwide after it's record-breaking Thanksgiving opening.

My kids can't read so no good for us, they know all the words anyhow. Just today the 2 year old was pulling on the vacuum cord and I told her to "let it go", well she did and broke out in full song.  Great idea for the lyrics on screen most of the audience was singing along at our last show. 

My poor sons have not seen the movie, but hear the songs constantly as my girls sing them around the house.  When I took my 6yo a few weeks ago, she sang along quietly because she already knew the songs from my 18yo playing them on her iTouch.

I really would love to go, but we only see movies when we can get free tickets. :(

My 4 (almost 5) year old GD hasn't stopped singing the Frozen songs since before Thanksgiving.  She belts them out complete with arms flying and tons of emotion.

It opens Friday down here in Tampa, and looks like it's running at least until 2/6.... that's as far out that Fandango shows tickets for now.  It looks like most of the sing alongs are early shows.

I think it'll be a hoot with all of the kids singing and playacting... sort of like a kids version of Rocky Horror.

I wonder if they will allow parents to take pictures of all the kids singing?

If you've never seen the movie this might not be the best time to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't seen the movie yet, but really don't think I'd enjoy the singalong

You should see it. With the success of it I would be amazed if it doesn't get some sort of attraction. Atleast it own restroom retheame(poor Repunzle)