Universal Studios and More..

March 26th to the 29th, my three oldest children and I will be flying to Orlando for a few days of bonding and to just to generally spend some quality time with each other.  We have had a rough year, if any of you have teenagers you understand some, if you have a troubled teen in your life, you understand even better.  Relationships have been strained between my oldest children and we have worked really hard to bring that back together, so this isnt just another trip, this is different.  They have never been to Universal Studios so we want to do that for sure, I haven't been in over 20 years so I dont really know what to expect.  I'd like to have a few good meals, they really want to do a water park of some sort (wet n wild maybe?) We only have 2 fulls days and the 3rd day our flight leaves at 8:40 pm so I'm going to have some hours to burn there.  I need you experts to chip in and tell what's a must do and what we should skip.  As much as I wanted to go to Disney, they sadly arent as enthusiastic about the mouse.. I failed there as a parent miserably (my little ones however are all about the mouse, THANK GOD)

Let me hear your suggestions, I dont do trip reports often, but I'm hoping this one will be the final chapter in a very long story, and I'm hoping for a happy ending!

If there's any way that you can swing staying at one of the official Universal hotels, you should try for that.  We've stayed at the Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock.  Really nice.  And, the best part is you get Front of the Line privileges in the parks. Since your time is limited, that Front of the Line perk would really be worthwhile to have.

We checked out Wet N Wild once.  It's kind of a rough place.  No theming.  But, it does have some cool slides.  Even if your teens aren't Disney fans, I still think they'd prefer Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.  There is also Aquatica at Sea World- I've never been, but it looks nice.

Have you considered Discovery Cove?  Instead of Universal?  It's expensive, but in addition to the day at Discovery Cove, you get a 7 day pass to Sea World.  That would be a trip your kids would never forget.  There would be some really good family bonding opportunities at Discovery Cove.  You would be able to stay in a much less expensive hotel, too.

TCD

If there's any way that you can swing staying at one of the official Universal hotels, you should try for that.  We've stayed at the Royal Pacific and the Hard Rock.  Really nice.  And, the best part is you get Front of the Line privileges in the parks. Since your time is limited, that Front of the Line perk would really be worthwhile to have.

We checked out Wet N Wild once.  It's kind of a rough place.  No theming.  But, it does have some cool slides.  Even if your teens aren't Disney fans, I still think they'd prefer Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.  There is also Aquatica at Sea World- I've never been, but it looks nice.

Have you considered Discovery Cove?  Instead of Universal?  It's expensive, but in addition to the day at Discovery Cove, you get a 7 day pass to Sea World.  That would be a trip your kids would never forget.  There would be some really good family bonding opportunities at Discovery Cove.  You would be able to stay in a much less expensive hotel, too.

TCD

I didn't think of Discovery Cove in that perspective TCD, I didnt realize that you also get the Sea World pass.. I need to reconsider that.  I initially wanted to do that but it was almost $312 dollars a person so I was immediatley turned off but you've got me thinking about it again.. Does Aquatica come with that as well?  I'm thinking on our short day maybe a water park til around 4 and then off to the airport. 

the cost of the onsite hotels at universal was a bit much when I compared offsite, is the front of the line perk the same as the pass mentioned on the website that you can buy in addition to your ticket?  It was like 20 bucks I think..

Great info!! Thank you, I'm going to look at Discovery Cove a little closer...

Holy moly, when I went, which was like 5 years ago, we got a Florida resident rate of $199 a person.  Which I hated to pay, but it was worth it.  You get a whole day there and all of your meals, including snacks and drinks.  And beer.  We got our money's worth.

I believe that you can get an Aqautica pass instead of the SeaWorld pass, but you pretty much are in the water all day at Discovery Cove, so you might not be wanting to go to a waterpark.  SeaWorld has a couple of pretty good rollercoasters that would appeal to your teens.

Maybe a cheap hotel and Discovery Cove would work.

I don't think that $20 pass would be the same as the Front of the LIne perk.  Maybe, but I think they'd charge more than $20 for that.

TCD

Holy moly, when I went, which was like 5 years ago, we got a Florida resident rate of $199 a person.  Which I hated to pay, but it was worth it.  You get a whole day there and all of your meals, including snacks and drinks.  And beer.  We got our money's worth.

I believe that you can get an Aqautica pass instead of the SeaWorld pass, but you pretty much are in the water all day at Discovery Cove, so you might not be wanting to go to a waterpark.  SeaWorld has a couple of pretty good rollercoasters that would appeal to your teens.

Maybe a cheap hotel and Discovery Cove would work.

I don't think that $20 pass would be the same as the Front of the LIne perk.  Maybe, but I think they'd charge more than $20 for that.

TCD

Definatley going  to play around with it, the hotel isnt that important to me as long as it's clean and in a safe place and relatively close to everything

The $20 front of the line pass is different than the resort front of the line. The $20 one limits you to one front of the line and only certain rides. The resort one is unlimited. If you wanted to ride transformers 20 times, you would get front of the line each time with the resort one. The $20 one might not even include transformers. Also, you have to buy a fol pass for each park. One is not useable in another park. So it would be $50 to get fol at both parks and it's only one fol per ride.

The $20 front of the line pass is different than the resort front of the line. The $20 one limits you to one front of the line and only certain rides. The resort one is unlimited. If you wanted to ride transformers 20 times, you would get front of the line each time with the resort one. The $20 one might not even include transformers. Also, you have to buy a fol pass for each park. One is not useable in another park. So it would be $50 to get fol at both parks and it's only one fol per ride.

And, that is per person, I assume.  So group of four for two parks $160.  How much more is the Universal hotel over the cheap hotel?  I know when we went, that Front of the Line made the trip.  Like a FP for every ride.  Actually better, since less guests were using the FOTL than would typically be in FP line.

TCD

And, that is per person, I assume.  So group of four for two parks $160.  How much more is the Universal hotel over the cheap hotel?  I know when we went, that Front of the Line made the trip.  Like a FP for every ride.  Actually better, since less guests were using the FOTL than would typically be in FP line.

TCD

Yes, per person......

There are two Discovery Cove packages. One is swim with the Dolphins which is the pricier one. The other is less expensive but you don't get in with the dolphins. The dolphin portion is about a 1/2 hour or so in with them, then the rest of the day you are doing whatever the rest of the people are doing. Both give you breakfast and lunch buffets, along with snacks and drinks the rest of the day, and yes it includes adult beverages (have a designated driver). We did the non dolphin option and had a blast even though it was a cool rainy day. You still get to swim and dive with reef fish and rays. Then they have a freshwater section like a rambling bayou, and an aviary that you can hand feed birds. We got it at some fantastically cheap pass member discount. There's a lot of hotels around the Seaworld property, and you can get priceline name your own price deals.

We've never been to wet and wild, but to me it seems kind of tacky. My son in law and daughter have gone there and enjoyed it.

Aquatica is a nice place also. They have a lot of different slides and attractions. Wave pool, real fast river rapids and a slower one. Crazy slides.

Just something else for you to think about.

But if the kids are Harry Potter fans you will have to do Universal. We haven't been there in about 15 years or so except for the Citywalk portion. I know there are as many Universal fans as there are Disney one

Good Luck

Harry Potter World is pretty amazing if you're a fan.

If your kids like coasters, Universal/IoA have some great and pretty intense ones.

Food at Universal is "meh" IMO but there is a good Irish pub on the Universal side that we always eat at (scotch eggs - YUM). 

On the IoA site, Mythos has gotten lots of great reviews over the years.  We keep saying we need to eat there, but haven't yet.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/Islands-of-Adventure/Mythos.aspx

Also remember Universal has City Walk - which is full of places to eat, shops and entertainment.  It can be a good place to hang out after the parks close.  Dining options include:

Hard Rock Cafe

Emeril's

Margaritaville

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

Nascar Cafe

Pat O'Brien's

https://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/CityWalk-Restaurants.aspx

We feel guilty (not really, but sort of) that we never seem to make it over to Universal.  We make it to the Fort, and hit out favorite Disney parks....seems kinda hard to leave!   But we have some family members that love Universal so I'm sure we'll make it over there eventually.

Hey Judy - I would echo what the others have said in encouraging you to look into whether you can pull off staying at one of the Universal hotels.  That will be a time that is fairly busy (touringplans.com has Universal at a 6 or 7 out of 10 each of the days you are planning).  For your days, the FOTL is anywhere from $40+ per person per day, depending on whether it is for one or both parks and which days.  Staying at one of their resorts (which I never have done but do want to) will get everyone in the room FOTL access for almost all of the headliners multiple times.  It doesn't work for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and maybe some others, but staying on property does allow those guests to enter at least Islands of Adventure (which has the Harry Potter area) an hour before all other guests, which should give you a huge leg up in getting things done.

I hope you have a great trip!  I do understand the stresses of raising teenagers and I hope this trip is a wonderful chance for you all to relax and have a wonderful time together.

Leslie

We went a few years ago and if you want to ride the coasters there you will need to spend the money for the FOLP.

We stayed at the doubletree right outside the parks. We walked to the parks a couple times (it's that close) but they did have a shuttle bus.

It has a great swimming pool and a hot tub that's as big as some backyard pools.

I hope and pray that it will be a great trip for you guys and there's a lot of hugging and bonding that happens for y'all.

Check out this page: http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/on-site-hotel-annual-pass-discount/

This is what we did the two times we went to Universal, 2011 and 2012. The annual pass rates for the hotel were a big discount over the regular rates. You don't have to have the annual pass in hand to make the reservation. Only one person on the reservation has to have the annual pass and you can also use it to get 10% off everyone's food in the parks. I remembered there was a code I entered on the Loew's hotel reservation page. This page says it was APH. We stayed at Royal Pacific which was pretty nice and had a huge pool. It was the least expensive of the three hotels. a new motel is opening this summer but it won't have front of the line privileges. If you do this check with someone to make sure it all still works this way.

We really enjoyed both parks at Universal. It's not Disney but we found a lot to do and there were rides for the coaster riders and the non-coaster riders. The front of the line passes and being able to walk to the parks made the cost of staying onsite vs offsite worth it.

Also forgot to add that we used the one annual pass to get discounts on the other tickets.

Thank you all so very much for all the input, I have turned this up side down and round and round trying to make the best decision and I have decided that even though my wallet will scream in pain, we are going to stay on site.  I have to keep reminding myself that I have a mission on this trip so it needs to be special, I want them to feel like the rock stars that they are :heart: 

I'll be booking all of this tomorrow so prayers that I dont stroke out and die when I enter the card number are appreciated..  :pope:

Fiends truely are the best!! :heartsmiley:

I saw somewhere that Universal was opening a new value hotel with a 1960's Beach-Hotel theme, I believe it was called Cabana-something and it was already half-open with construction almost done on the other half??  What caught my eye was that it will have a lazy river and huge pool when it is finished  :)

:)