My son had to leave 1 day early last summer when someone ran their car into his garage. ($35,000 damage) Disney offered without asking a refund.

They stopped in and checked out and final bill was reduced by 1 day amount.

Actaully several years ago we had a family emergency back home and thought we would have to cut our vacation short by two nights. I went to the front desk at ASmusic and told them what was going on and that we were trying to get our flights changed and we would be checking out tomorrow. She said no problem sir. I asked if there was going to be a charge and she aaid that normally there's a $15 fee but to not worry about it. Fortunately things at home were taken care of because it would have cost an arm and a leg to change our flights. I we didn't pre pay for our rooms so there was nothing to refund. But I can't imagine them not refunding your money if you had a legitimate reason for leaving early.

Hopefully Lou sees this because he has worked at a few resorts and will be able to give you more details.

But I can't imagine them not refunding your money if you had a legitimate reason for leaving early.

You don't need any reason- they will cancel any number of unused nights and refund the money.

Been there.  Done that.

Funny, but it takes a few days to get the refund processed, but there is no penalty for cancelling nights if you want to leave early.

I can't say if that's true at WDW resorts, but it's definitely true at the Fort.

TCD

Give you some sort of payment that is not cash....yeppers.   However, remember when they ask you for your credit card at check in?  That is where they tried to put ours.  We paid in cash that trip that we had to cancel the days.  Since our radiator had gone out, we really needed it back. (we had to have a custom one built for the mh)  I don't know if that is the norm now because it happened several years ago,  as I am not aware of procedures now.  From what I have seen, they really don't have a lot of cashola in the drawers these days.  I have paid cash for Fiends Helping Fiends items in the past for the website and when I do, it is like I am handing them something foreign.  However, I ALWAYS have a receipt.  :)

Give you some sort of payment that is not cash....yeppers.   However, remember when they ask you for your credit card at check in?  That is where they tried to put ours.  We paid in cash that trip that we had to cancel the days.  Since our radiator had gone out, we really needed it back. (we had to have a custom one built for the mh)  I don't know if that is the norm now because it happened several years ago,  as I am not aware of procedures now.  From what I have seen, they really don't have a lot of cashola in the drawers these days.  I have paid cash for Fiends Helping Fiends items in the past for the website and when I do, it is like I am handing them something foreign.  However, I ALWAYS have a receipt.  :)

Since my trips are usually just for a weekend, I have paid cash at check in the last few times- I don't like them having my credit card on file.  With the old KTTW cards, I could just imagine one of my kids losing one, and somebody going crazy charging.  So, I stopped having charging privileges, and in that case, they don't require a credit card at check-in. I guess they have my credit card number from the one night deposit, but I haven't been required to give a card at check in if I pay cash.  The less times I have to hand my credit card to someone, the better.

TCD

From what I have seen, they really don't have a lot of cashola in the drawers these days. 

It's not just these days, it goes way back.

Every Front Desk Agent gets a bank before starting their shift. It's mainly to deal with little piddly things, and is not for making refunds.

Refunds had to be approved by a manager, and it wasn't a big deal as long as the guests account was not in the negative after the refund was factored in.

I know some of you won't buy it, but Disney is not in the business of alienating future customers for no reason. Things happen, you have to leave, you have to leave.

With the old KTTW cards, I could just imagine one of my kids losing one, and somebody going crazy charging. 

How could you be liable if your signature wasn't on any of the receipts?

Also, it depends..... If someone purchases a full-blown "package" with tickets, dining, and the like, and have to leave early, NO that is NOT refundable.

However, if it is room-only then yes, any unused nights are refunded. As long as you check out before 11am.

I have checked out early before, and we also have charging priveledges.  Yes, your card is charged the full amount when you check in, BUT, it is put on your "bill" in daily increments, so any unused nights were just subtracted from our charging, and our card was only charged the difference at the end.

It's not just these days, it goes way back.

Every Front Desk Agent gets a bank before starting their shift. It's mainly to deal with little piddly things, and is not for making refunds.

Refunds had to be approved by a manager, and it wasn't a big deal as long as the guests account was not in the negative after the refund was factored in.

I know some of you won't buy it, but Disney is not in the business of alienating future customers for no reason. Things happen, you have to leave, you have to leave.

I LOVE the Disney charging feature.  It keeps my credit card and number put away in my wallet. Less likely for it to be lost, misplaced, or compromised.  The KTTW (or MB) can be cancelled from any house phone on property immediately, and replaced with a quick visit to the front desk.  My credit card can be cancelled with a simple phone call, but can take a minimum of 48 hours to be replaced. And then it is a huge hassle to change all the automatic stuff I have going to it.

With online checkin, the only thing that sees my credit card # is the Disney computer system.

Back when I did use charging privileges, it was hit or miss if the cashiers even asked for a signature on the receipt.  I think only purchases over a certain amount require signatures.  Plus, even if I ultimately was not liable, it would be on me to get it all straightened out.  Not something I would look forward to considering the average IQ of a Disney CM (no offense to you, Dave or TJ- you guys bump up the average).  I know I'm old fashioned, but I like to use cash.  I pay as I go. I don't have to worry about trying to reconcile or check some convoluted billing statement at the end of my trip.

TCD

I had the same experience. As I was checking in I told the cm that I'd be trimming some days, but we'd call within the cancellation period. He told me that I should not call, that I should just wait until I'm leaving and stop by the reception desk. That way if we decided at the last minute we'd like to use one or more of those dates we were going to cancel there would be no problem. I was dubious that we'd get our refund without hassle, but he assured me over and over. He was right. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on how long they take to process a credit because we spent those extra days worth of site fees at F&W and dinners!

• 2 weeks later...