Well, the project has begun. I spent some time today studying these pictures some more, taking some measurements, wandering Home Depot and Harbor Freight, and watching some YouTube videos on building drawer boxes, cabinet doors, and cabinet facing.

I now have a couple of pieces of wood, a pocket hole jig, and a router. I have no idea how long this will take me, and don't know if work will creep up on me, and leave it half-finished before our Disney trip, so I'm starting slow, and not taking out the original until I have all the pieces built.

Hopefully sawdust will start flying in the next day or so and I'll see how my first drawer box turns out.

20140914_184225.jpg

A router is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. I would recommend you practicing on some scrap wood till you get the hang of it.

Good luck.

I'm hoping I can manage it. I'm planning on using it to cut the slots for the drawer bottoms as I don't want to invest in a table saw, and then putting a beaded edge on the inside of the frames of the drawer fronts..

I'm hoping I can manage it. I'm planning on using it to cut the slots for the drawer bottoms as I don't want to invest in a table saw, and then putting a beaded edge on the inside of the frames of the drawer fronts..

I sure you'll be fine. A trick I use to route out a groove and keep it straight is to clamp down a straight edge (metal ruler) so I can run the edge of the router against it.

I hope that makes sense.

It does look like the router you bought has a guide attached to it. If it does, you won't need my tip. And that guide will make it easier to route out the slots.

I want to be around when Carol gives tours of the completed project and is asked. "Do you have a bathroom in here?" and Carol says "Oh sure we just use that drawer over there"   :dropjaw: 

Looks like a great upgrade for females  but no way I would let a male use that setup no mater how true his aim. 

Just got back from a weekend trip to the fort and there must have been 7 or 8 small teardrop trailers scattered throughout the campground.  The most we have ever seen that were not at a rally or meet.  

Well, the project has begun. I spent some time today studying these pictures some more, taking some measurements, wandering Home Depot and Harbor Freight, and watching some YouTube videos on building drawer boxes, cabinet doors, and cabinet facing.

I now have a couple of pieces of wood, a pocket hole jig, and a router. I have no idea how long this will take me, and don't know if work will creep up on me, and leave it half-finished before our Disney trip, so I'm starting slow, and not taking out the original until I have all the pieces built.

Hopefully sawdust will start flying in the next day or so and I'll see how my first drawer box turns out.

20140914_184225.jpg

shoulded come up with this last yr when I was bored to death

Pocket holes look great. Good job!

The router takes a little getting used to. Doesn't it?

Try putting both drawer sides next to each other and using a clamped down metal ruler/straight edge.

Your trying to get a router to do something that is intended for a table saw. But with practice you will get it perfect.

Keep us updated. Your doing great!!!

Pocket holes look great. Good job!

The router takes a little getting used to. Doesn't it?

Try putting both drawer sides next to each other and using a clamped down metal ruler/straight edge.

Your trying to get a router to do something that is intended for a table saw. But with practice you will get it perfect.

Keep us updated. Your doing great!!!

This router actually has a built in guide, so that helped a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!  I've routed some slots like that one.  Don't know that I've improved since, except to buy a second router.  It was likely the router's fault.  I think I'll name my router DAVE.   :rofl3:

LOL!!!!  Right now this project is pretty much at a standstill. Won't have time to finish before our trip, so will wait until after and get it done over the winter...... (maybe)