Star Wars weekend have added a 5th week and there will be fireworks each night they occur now similar to the May the 4th ones from last year. There will also be a new evening show. However the bad news is no more Hyperspace Hoopla. 

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/walt-disney-world-expands-star-wars-weekends-dates-to-5-weeks-in-2014-will-include-nightly-fireworks-and-new-evening-experience/

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/02/hyperspace-hoopla-will-dance-no-more-officially-cancelled-at-walt-disney-world-as-star-wars-weekends-gets-new-curtain-call/

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As it said on the blog you linked:  "In recent years, the show has become a bit more risqué, adding scantily-clad appearances by Slave Leia as well as many suggestive dance moves."   I was so highly o

Oh my!  I can see why TCD was so offended as to only see it 4 times, however, I do not want lil H and G to see it even once.  At least not for several years and probably not even then.   Say it ain't

This is a response from someone who is involved with SWW. Interesting read and makes you realize some things.   "As someone connected to the Star Wars Universe both inside and outside of Walt Disney W

The full schedule is now:

Weekend I: May 16 – 18, 2014
Weekend II: May 23 – 25, 2014
Weekend III: May 30 – June 1, 2014
Weekend IV: June 6 – 8, 2014
Weekend V: June 13 – 15, 2014
This year's theme will be “Join the Rebellion,” and James Arnold Taylor will once again return as celebrity host.

I am pretty bummed. I really wanted too see the Hoopla. 

As it said on the blog you linked:  "In recent years, the show has become a bit more risqué, adding scantily-clad appearances by Slave Leia as well as many suggestive dance moves."

I was so highly offended by these scantily-clad appearances and many suggestive dance moves that I only saw it 4 times last year.

TCD

Oh my!  I can see why TCD was so offended as to only see it 4 times, however, I do not want lil H and G to see it even once.  At least not for several years and probably not even then.

Say it ain't so that we could actually be there during a Star Wars Weekend!?  **Head getting light and spinny**  Fingers crossed that we can pull off a May trip!

A moment of silence please.

No more Hyperspace Hoopla?

Noooooooo!

That SMB!

The fireworks are good.

But no way do they make-up for taking away a dancing Slave Leia,

This is a very sad day.

In memory:

9004553970_1c763c5c30_z.jpg

TCD

Thank you.

This is a response from someone who is involved with SWW. Interesting read and makes you realize some things.

"As someone connected to the Star Wars Universe both inside and outside of Walt Disney World I have been asked to comment on the changes being made at Star Wars Weekends this year... Here is my take...

Don't jump on the Hate Star Wars Weekends bandwagon yet! There's gonna be something pretty exciting in the evenings, and we'll find out more as we get closer... besides the fireworks are gonna be awesome!

Why the changes you ask? Well now that Disney owns the Star Wars propert...y they have to be very careful how they present these new "timeless" characters. We poked fun at Star Wars because George thought it was funny (i.e. Robot Chicken, the now shelved Star Wars Detours, etc)... But we know he stopped caring for Star Wars a while ago... So much so that he said he was done with it forever and later sold the rights to us.

Disney realizes the value and importance of these new characters, and are very careful when it comes to their portrayal. Hence why any project relating to Star Wars prior to the merger has been shelved or discontinued (i.e. Expanded Universe, Clone Wars, Video Games, etc.). Disney has finally given these beloved characters value and a new life and the same level of protection we give to all our classic characters. You would never see a show in the style of Hoopla with our Disney properties in it. I mean sure seeing the Disney Princesses dance to Single Ladies would probably be hilarious, and the Beast wearing a Kangol hat dancing to Werewolves in London amusing, but we're cautious because those characters are "timeless" just like our newly acquired friends from the Star Wars Universe. Because of this new care it means the movies and other future properties are going to be amazing. I mean how many times have they rewritten this Episode 7 script because it just didn't feel right!?

Just know that everything is in the hands of people that care about these characters and aren't willing to compromise their integrity, even if it's one of the top rated shows at Star Wars Weekends. There are so many great surprises you'll hear in the next few months coming to Star Wars Weekends this year... So much that they had to add another weekend. So hang in there, besides how do you top last years Hoopla anyways! Here's to bigger and better.... I'm just excited to be a part of it... MTFBWY and I'll see you in out there in May!"

Oh my!  I can see why TCD was so offended as to only see it 4 times, however, I do not want lil H and G to see it even once.  At least not for several years and probably not even then.

Say it ain't so that we could actually be there during a Star Wars Weekend!?  **Head getting light and spinny**  Fingers crossed that we can pull off a May trip!

I feel the same way about my husband and sons.  Hoping you get to go, Kim!

I like to go to RV shows and look at the trailers, but I always come home to the Outback.

Was this picture really taken at Disney?

Ray, you need to catch up on your reading.

The offensive costumes and suggestive dance moves have previously been condemned in TCD TR's.

Here's a quote from my reporting on this from a TR last year:

Before we move forward, at FWG's request, here are a couple of zooms on Princess Leia:

leia_zpsf49f8127.jpg

leia1_zps277cdd45.jpg

leia2_zps0e95b383.jpg

I also meant to mention the young lady dressed in white. That is the Princess' mother, Padme. How does that work? The mom is hotter than the daughter?

FWG, if you would like to further study this issue, I suggest that you watch this video. You will need to endure the dancing Wookie for a minute and 43 seconds, but it will be worth the wait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PomOsYxpzY

You're welcome!

TCD

This is a response from someone who is involved with SWW. Interesting read and makes you realize some things.

"As someone connected to the Star Wars Universe both inside and outside of Walt Disney World I have been asked to comment on the changes being made at Star Wars Weekends this year... Here is my take...

Don't jump on the Hate Star Wars Weekends bandwagon yet! There's gonna be something pretty exciting in the evenings, and we'll find out more as we get closer... besides the fireworks are gonna be awesome!

Why the changes you ask? Well now that Disney owns the Star Wars propert...y they have to be very careful how they present these new "timeless" characters. We poked fun at Star Wars because George thought it was funny (i.e. Robot Chicken, the now shelved Star Wars Detours, etc)... But we know he stopped caring for Star Wars a while ago... So much so that he said he was done with it forever and later sold the rights to us.

Disney realizes the value and importance of these new characters, and are very careful when it comes to their portrayal. Hence why any project relating to Star Wars prior to the merger has been shelved or discontinued (i.e. Expanded Universe, Clone Wars, Video Games, etc.). Disney has finally given these beloved characters value and a new life and the same level of protection we give to all our classic characters. You would never see a show in the style of Hoopla with our Disney properties in it. I mean sure seeing the Disney Princesses dance to Single Ladies would probably be hilarious, and the Beast wearing a Kangol hat dancing to Werewolves in London amusing, but we're cautious because those characters are "timeless" just like our newly acquired friends from the Star Wars Universe. Because of this new care it means the movies and other future properties are going to be amazing. I mean how many times have they rewritten this Episode 7 script because it just didn't feel right!?

Just know that everything is in the hands of people that care about these characters and aren't willing to compromise their integrity, even if it's one of the top rated shows at Star Wars Weekends. There are so many great surprises you'll hear in the next few months coming to Star Wars Weekends this year... So much that they had to add another weekend. So hang in there, besides how do you top last years Hoopla anyways! Here's to bigger and better.... I'm just excited to be a part of it... MTFBWY and I'll see you in out there in May!"

That is all well and good.

But, once again, Disney is failing to see the forest for the trees. Sure, the Star Wars franchise has many loyal fans. But how relevant is it to young people today? My girls' first introduction to Star Wars came from attending a Star Wars weekend, and more particularly, Hyperspace Hoopla.  As a result of that, we purchased all the Star Wars movies and they have watched them.  But, when was the last Star Wars movie released?  And how long will it be until the next one comes out? 

I think having the characters dance to modern music is a genius way of attracting new, younger, fans to the franchise. 

If they just make Star Wars weekends for the geeks, they are missing the boat.

That's all fine and dandy about appreciating the value of these classic characters.  But Leia in a bikini WAS a classic character.  And an appreciated one at that.

Truth.

You men are terrible.

I know. Shame on them.

TCD

• 1 month later...

From the Disney Parks Blog...

During Star Wars Weekends, fans will be immersed in a galaxy far, far away. And now, a special Feel the Force Dining Event gives you VIP status for viewing for the Star Wars “Legends of the Force” motorcade plus a nightly dessert party (featuring the event’s popular Darth Vader cupcakes) and up-close viewing of the “Symphony in the Stars” fireworks spectacular.

The Legends of the Force: Star Wars Celebrity Motorcade viewing experience is at 11 a.m.-noon each day. Soft drinks, water and a snack will be provided. The dessert party is 9-10 p.m., with fireworks starting at approximately 9:45 p.m.

To keep it extra special, capacity is limited. Along with the VIP viewing for the motorcade and entry into the “Symphony in the Stars” Fireworks Dessert Party, you’ll receive a special souvenir Disney PhotoPass card that can be linked to your Disney account and include a series of Star Wars Weekends photos.

The Feel the Force Dining Event will take place every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 16-June 15, 2014.

Cost is $54 for adults, $32 for ages 3 to 11, including tax and gratuity. Walk-up sales will be available until Feel the Force Premium Package is sold out. To purchase the packages, go to disneyworld.com/spring or call 407-WDW-DINE.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/04/feel-the-force-dining-event-offers-more-fun-for-star-wars-weekends-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Wow.

This is going to be bad.

I wonder where they're going to rope off the space for the parade and fireworks viewing?

For the parade, it is already bad without a space being roped off.  The route is short- just from the park entrance to the hat.  People have easily been 8-10 deep along the route.  Now, they're going to take a chunk of space and limit access to suckers guests willing to shell out $54?  Genius on their part.  Bad for the regular guests.

Fireworks viewing at DHS is bad.  There isn't much space around the hat.  And the main street will be wall to wall people.  Again, now a big chunk of space will be roped off.

Anything for a buck.

TCD