Need FL campground ideas for Spring Break

We need to do a fairly budget friendly Spring Break trip next year. Sadly, that means Disney and the Fort are out. (It hurts to even type that.) We love Topsail Hill, but it's not very warm there at the beginning of April. 

I would like to be near the beach and was thinking Fort Desoto. Any opinions on that or other ideas? While I'd love to do the Keys, gas would be $1000, so that's out too. 

Fort Desoto is nice.  But, even here, the water is pretty cold in April.  And, it's probably another four hours driving for y'all to get there.

We camped at Grayton Beach SP for a week one spring break at the end of March, and it was nice.  We didn't go in the water, but as you know, there is a lot to do in that area of the state.  Doesn't Topsail have a pool?  Is it heated? I think you should be looking for a campground near some things to do/see, and with a heated pool.  Have you considered the St. Augustine area?  Lots of good sightseeing and kid friendly stuff to do there.  Anastasia Island SP is nice.

TCD

We did spring break at Topsail once.  Never again.  It was windy and chilly all week, and the sand was being blown down the beach like a sand blaster much of the time that you couldn't even take walks on the beach.  I've heard too many people say that Destin can be that way in March for me to ever do it again.  I know you already decided against it in your first post....I just wanted to confirm for you that it is risky. 

What about somewhere around New Smyrna Beach?  We have friends that were down there last month and they love it there.  The weather was good overall for them.  They didn't camp so I can't help there....but there has to be a nice campground in the area. 

We won't do Grayton for the same reason as Topsail.

We were hoping DeSoto was far enough south to be warmer. It's only about 8.5 hours from us, so doable.

We like St. Augustine, but that would be colder than Cocoa Beach where we just were. We did have a good beach day there though.

We won't do Grayton for the same reason as Topsail.

We were hoping DeSoto was far enough south to be warmer. It's only about 8.5 hours from us, so doable.

We like St. Augustine, but that would be colder than Cocoa Beach where we just were. We did have a good beach day there though.

Fort Desoto isn't very much further south than Cocoa Beach.  Not enough to make a significant difference in the weather.

The beaches here on this side of the state are busy for spring break- to me the water is too cold to enjoy.  But, thousands of tourists disagree with me.

To me Fort Desoto is kind of isolated.  A place like St. Augustine has a lot more kid stuff to do.

TCD

We do Fort Desoto every year in May and we love it, you are 15-20 minutes away from St. Pete downtown area so plenty to do, but honestly we have never left the campground unless it was a quick Publix run (5mins up the road), the water is about 76 in May, shouldn't be too much colder in April, but it will be full then so plan on everything being crowded, the great thing about an island is water everywhere and good fishin!  And you can't beat this view!!!

florida-fort-desoto-state-park.jpg

We do Fort Desoto every year in May and we love it, you are 15-20 minutes away from St. Pete downtown area so plenty to do, but honestly we have never left the campground unless it was a quick Publix run (5mins up the road), the water is about 76 in May, shouldn't be too much colder in April, but it will be full then so plan on everything being crowded, the great thing about an island is water everywhere and good fishin! And you can't beat this view!!!

florida-fort-desoto-state-park.jpg

I need to go here

Fort Desoto is a nice place. If you have canoes or kayaks and can bring them, you can launch right from the campground. If you don't have your own, you can rent them just down the street on the way to the beach area. The campground isn't that far from all of the gulf side communities, and is about a 45 minute drive to either Tampa, of if you're a shopper, the Ellenton Outlet Mall.

Yes, dolphins are a pretty common sight , this is a little cove area bordered by a sandbar, good sharks tooth and sanddollar hunting. I was there last time snorkeling and turned around and there was a dolphin right behind me, its too cool!

If you don't live in Florida or not near the beaches ft De Soto is a nice place. (I live here and all I want to do is be in the woods or mountains...lol. The beaches are beautiful and you can walk for miles. If you have a canoe or kayak, (they rent them also), there is a lot to explore. most of the campsites are tight or the branches are hanging low. most sites have electric but they do not have sewer. there is a dump station near the exit than can form a long line usually on Sunday mornings at checkout. During dry season, the place can also become quite the dust bowl. there is also a small camp store and bike rental near the exit. Here is the website for the park

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

You have to book online and you can choose your site but like all pictures, the size of site can be deceiving. Most of the good sites and waterside sites book fast. Sometimes 6-7 months out. Snowbirds love this place. Also as TCD stated, it is kind of isolated. IMHO it has to be the largest habitat of raccoons in pinellas county. You have to keep everything secure including coolers and tents. These raccoons can even open tent zippers. Also no alcohol in county parks. There was a dumba$$ a few years back who posted a pic of a mountain of liquor bottles and beer cans at his campsite and a ranger happened yo find it online and came and kicked them out. Hope all this helps for you.

If you are looking for a beach experience then some of the suggestions offered are good.  There are other State Parks like Jonathan Dickenson in Jupiter.  It is not directly on the beach but it is a quick drive to some of the best beaches in FLA.  Waves are big and surfers love the area.  Water Temps are warmer than the Gulf.  I think the water is bluer and cleaner but thats just my opinion.   It is a big nature preserve with a pontoon boat tour and you can rent canoes.  Lots of things to do in the area.  Myakka SP near Sarasota is also a nature preserve with an emphasis on nature.  Deer and Great Heron walk though your site but I've heard that there are too many alligators for the likes of some.  Sebastian Inlet is also a great SP on the Ocean with daily views of Dolphin and great fishing.  I found the 50 AMP service to be iffy.  If you are looking for a place inland that is not well known and away from everything then look up Fish Eatin Creek in Palmdale.  Its not listed as a state park but it is owned by the state.  This is FLA as the first settlers found it.  There are little meandering creeks that you can explore with a canoe and hiking through the cyprus trees but not much else.  It has good facilities but it is far from anything of interest.  if you have kids they would be bored in a few hours.  If you only need 30 AMP Service then try Wekiva Springs SP.  Swimming is in a crystal clear spring feed lake and tubing down a natural lazy river with camping in a forest. It is also about 45 minutes away from DW.    

We like Grayton Beach State Park as well.  The older section has more "private" sites, as the vegetation has been established, but it is all nice.  Good bath houses and lots to do in the area.

I'm glad there are positive comments about Grayton.  We will be heading there the end of September for a week.  Just had some concern about the dogflies.  Sorry but I don't have a great recommendation for spring break.