I would appreciate ANY suggestions on how to get rid of the smell we have in our new (used) trailer.  My husband says it smells like "trailer"...personally I think it may be coming from the commode.  I have air fresheners in there and have tried opening up the windows; that helped, but only a little.

The previous owner said he put a small, small amount of water in the (toilet) tank, along with some sort of preservative.  He said he does this when it's not going to used for a while.

Could that be it?

Also having it closed up tight without power to it causes a smell. I used to hate to have to go into the trailer the first couple of times when I had it in storage without power. Now that it's home in the garage, I'm able to keep windows cracked and no more smell

I am with Carol, the less you have to keep it closed up, the better off it is.  However, I keep a Glade candle in the RV (I think it is orange) in each room.  I don't lite them but they do give off a strong aroma.  They also keep the RV smell WAY down.  You might want to see if it works.  They always have coupons for them in the Sunday paper, which is how I stumbled upon them.

Smells can come from a number of sources.  In FLA we use Damp Rid to keep the humidity low and prevent mold.  Keep  a little water in the toilet and regularly run a little water in the sink and shower drains to keep the p traps from drying out and letting the smell from the blackand grey water tanks from getting into the interior of the unit.  There is a natural smell that these closed in small spaces have due to the materials used in contruction like glue and styro foam.  The only thing that will reduce that is air and time.  Good luck.

Last time my wife complained about the smell in our trailer, she told me to leave and the smell disappeared!

I am with Carol, the less you have to keep it closed up, the better off it is.  However, I keep a Glade candle in the RV (I think it is orange) in each room.  I don't lite them but they do give off a strong aroma.  They also keep the RV smell WAY down.  You might want to see if it works.  They always have coupons for them in the Sunday paper, which is how I stumbled upon them.

Thank you both.  Jen, I'll try that idea :)

Smells can come from a number of sources.  In FLA we use Damp Rid to keep the humidity low and prevent mold.  Keep  a little water in the toilet and regularly run a little water in the sink and shower drains to keep the p traps from drying out and letting the smell from the blackand grey water tanks from getting into the interior of the unit.  There is a natural smell that these closed in small spaces have due to the materials used in contruction like glue and styro foam.  The only thing that will reduce that is air and time.  Good luck.

Thank you.

Yes, always keep a little water and chemicals in the black tank. 

I wonder if the black tank needs a good flushing. There's a hose attachment you can buy for that. 

Did it smell when you looked at it the first time? 

Hmmm... maybe a little, but much more faint.  It may be because they had just gone camping a couple of weeks before we purchased it; then we let the camper sit (closed up) for about 6 weeks before bringing it home...  ???

• 1 month later...

When I bought our used Motorhome I found I needed to wash any cloth that I could.  Curtains and seat covers and let them air dry.  Now I spray the seat cushions and the mattress with a light mist of fabreze and let it dry before shutting it up for storage.

Thanks fiends.  After a thorough cleaning of the trailer and flushing the commode tank A LOT (I think there was old "stuff" left in there  :wacko:) the smells are much better.  We used the trailer last weekend and are planning to use it again in a couple of weeks...so I haven't thrown the tarp back over it.  I guess the real test will come, when we do that and it sits (closed up) for a month or two.  

We put bounce sheets under the cushions in our TT and under the mattress when it is closed and not in use and that helps with smells; I understand that it also will deter insects.

I had read that too (about the insects) so we have several in there :)

We're past 10 posts, so I'll share a story.

Many years ago my BIL and then SIL purchased a new house.  The dining area had a funny smell.  It got worse as the days went on.  It became unbearable, so they called the builder.  It turned out that during construction a skunk had crawled into the wall and died.  The builder had to remove the wall and the skunk.