After reading the thread asking about trailer mats, I thought I would share what I made last year for our tent camping.

217de3b9-fa77-4e22-9e4d-e4f3cea231a1.jpg

302e053a-3183-435f-8e42-855bf9a6299c.jpg

This is crocheted with something called plarn.  Plastic yarn.  Made from plastic grocery bags.  It uses up lots of those bags that you have all over your house. 

This year I'm making individual seat covers for picnic table benches, after a trip last summer where we had an extremely damp picnic table and I didn't want to sit on the benches.   

Thanks everybody!

It all started when the library I work at was having a class making can cozies out of plarn. 

Of course I didn't start small, and just decided to make the rug, since I was using old rag rugs when we went camping.

The fact that I haven't crocheted in years.....well, that made it more interesting.  You can tell, because the rug isn't quite "square" and doesn't really lay flat, but for what it is, I wasn't too worried.  Although I did start stressing about the colors.  Trying to make it random, but ...not.  

The bench covers look a bit nicer.  I'll take a picture when I'm done. I just need about 10-15 gray bags from Walmart.  The problem is I don't shop there, so....

(You learn which store has what color of bags, if you never paid attention to it before!)

And yes, it empties your house of the bags.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this as I haven't been on in a while, was wondering how it worked out as a mat. Is it easy to clean or does it hold sand.

I just finished my first plarn project, which was making a shower/beach bag. As soon as I started it I thought of all kinda of ideas for other thing, then saw your mat. Was thinking of making a braided rug using the handles of the bags.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the bag I made and gave it to a friend.

If anyone is still interested in this I will post things as I finish them. Have all my neighbors friends and coworkers saving bags now. Luckily non of them are crafty.

I'm worse, lots of supplies for crafts I intend on attempting lol

Yep that too.  I worked at a craft store for a couple of years once.  Occasionally I brought home a pay check.  8)

I am good at getting projects done but fail at picture taking. I do a lot of cross stitch. I just finished a cross stitch afghan.

Ooh - do you have photos of that?  I used to do tons of cross stitch but never anything quite that ambitious.

Just starting another bag so will take pictures when I finish this one.

Cool - thanks!