Gettysburg 2014

Nobody mess with Gram's recipe...   This is some of the best potato salad you'll ever have...  This lady is an absolute genius in the kitchen,  and I hit that hard every year and get to take some home, just cause Jason makes a little extra.

Making another round of it tomorrow for my sister-in-law's Sprinkle. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm In....   Wish I was at this GG....   Oh wait I was there !   and it was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!      Taylor Pork Roll can be used as a breakfast meat, lunch or dinner meat.   My favorite way is to fry

I can't believe you guys are making fun of me. I was cold and went and out more clothing on and you make fun of me for it? Some friends you are.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of Miracle Whip.  But it does have a bit of sweetness IMO that likely enhances this recipe.  If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.  You just don't mess with the t

You are right. Jedi gets very excited when you mention Adam's name.

We had to make sure the night before we left Adam got to say goodbye. After he was in the camper he started trying to say something while crying. Beckers finally figured out he wanted to take a picture of Jedi. The next day he was eating his snack while looking at his picture of Jedi.

That is some serious puppy love.

Awwwwwwww

My brother can be around any dog mixed with Poodle. They don't bother his allergies.

So what other recipes does Gram have Jason?

The best (and most used) wedding gift we got was a book of family recipes that everyone contributed to for our wedding.  Nancy loves to cook, and went over to both sets of grandparents houses on a regular basis to learn some of the old family recipes.  The ones that nobody ever wrote down before.  Now she makes a lot of those for the holidays for her aunts and uncles. 

One of the cake recipes used a dozen eggs.  Hearty bunch of ancestors up here in the northeast!

It is ground meat, with peppers and tomato sauce and other great things that Jason put in, and served on hogie rolls.   This is an official recipe but Jason gram's recipe is better than this.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/853210

<-    Hey I got a new tag....   I can now send my therapy bils to TCD...

Ok here is Grandma's Torpedo Meat recipe. For the record my usual one is better than the one I made at the grand gathering.

Grandma's Torpedo Meat (big batch recipe)

3lbs ground beef (I use 90% to keep the grease down. This will not be drained.)

1 Large Sweet Onion diced

3 -4 cloves of Garlic minced

I large Green Pepper diced

a couple of pinches of salt at various times

Fresh grind of black pepper at a couple of times

Sprinkle of Italian Seasoning

1 6oz can of Tomato Paste

1 and 1/2 28 oz cans of Crushed Tomatos

2-3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I used an electric skillet while camping but you can do this in a good size pan on the stove at home. 

Heat Skillet to 350 degrees with the Olive Oil added.

Once skillet is up to temperature add onions, peppers and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and a couple of grind of pepper.

After a couple of minutes the onions will just start to turn clear, push veggies to outside area and add ground beef breaking it up a little bit. Add another pinch of salt and a couple more grinds of black pepper. Cook until hamburg is fully done and broken up so there are no large clumps.

Add cant of tomato paste and mix it in coating as much as possible all the ingredients. This will help it bind together with the sauce as well. 

Add 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatos and stir it in. Depending on how much juice you have from veggies and meat will determine how much more canned tomatos to add. We only want just enough sauce to coat not to float. LOL

Once you have the tomatos in add some Italian Seasoning, one last pinch of Salt and a couple more grind of fresh black pepper. Let this cook for a bit so everything really combines. 

Thats pretty much it. Make sure you dont add to much tomatos or is really will be more sauce than sandwich material. At home I use Torpedo Rolls but they didnt have them in Getysburg. Any grinder/hoagie/sub roll will work for this. Just slice down the middle and lay in as much Torpedo Meat as you like. Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Ok here is Grandma's Torpedo Meat recipe. For the record my usual one is better than the one I made at the grand gathering.

I used an electric skillet while camping but you can do this in a good size pan on the stove at home. 

Once skillet is up to temperature add onions, peppers and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and a couple of grind of pepper.

After a couple of minutes the onions will just start to turn clear, push veggies to outside area and add ground beef breaking it up a little bit. Add another pinch of salt and a couple more grinds of black pepper. Cook until hamburg is fully done and broken up so there are no large clumps.

Add cant of tomato paste and mix it in coating as much as possible all the ingredients. This will help it bind together with the sauce as well. 

Add 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatos and stir it in. Depending on how much juice you have from veggies and meat will determine how much more canned tomatos to add. We only want just enough sauce to coat not to float. LOL

Once you have the tomatos in add some Italian Seasoning, one last pinch of Salt and a couple more grind of fresh black pepper. Let this cook for a bit so everything really combines. 

Thats pretty much it. Make sure you dont add to much tomatos or is really will be more sauce than sandwich material. At home I use Torpedo Rolls but they didnt have them in Getysburg. Any grinder/hoagie/sub roll will work for this. Just slice down the middle and lay in as much Torpedo Meat as you like. Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Sounds good.

And it sounds similar to a sloppy joe. Is it?

Sounds good!

I am trying to lose weight and am dying reading this TR full of photos of mouth watering food!

Rebekah your children are adorable.

It looks like this was a great weekend, anticipating the rest of the story from other fiends.

I cannot believe the tag fairy hasn't grabbed on to the torpedo meat comments yet.

I am trying to lose weight and am dying reading this TR full of photos of mouth watering food!

Rebekah your children are adorable.

It looks like this was a great weekend, anticipating the rest of the story from other fiends.

I cannot believe the tag fairy hasn't grabbed on to the torpedo meat comments yet.

Are you saying my meat is tag worthy?