Gettysburg 2014

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm In....   Wish I was at this GG....   Oh wait I was there !   and it was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!      Taylor Pork Roll can be used as a breakfast meat, lunch or dinner meat.   My favorite way is to fry

I can't believe you guys are making fun of me. I was cold and went and out more clothing on and you make fun of me for it? Some friends you are.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of Miracle Whip.  But it does have a bit of sweetness IMO that likely enhances this recipe.  If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.  You just don't mess with the t

I am all over the freshly baked hard roll and coffee.  Up in Buffalo, I stopped a couple times a week at this Italian bakery for bread and rolls, and I would always order a hard roll with butter to eat then and there....they would put real butter on it about 1/4" thick.  Heaven! 

you're killing me here Dave!

Both of those are Philly/South Jersey things.

Those, and Philly Cheese Steaks are about the only things I miss from living there.

But, they sell TastyKakes in Florida now, and lots of places have mastered the Philly Cheese Steak, so there's no need for me to go back.

Thanks, good to know.  Taylor is the only brand I remember, so I'll look for it.

You have mentioned these NJ Sloppy Joes before, and it's not something that I remember at all.

What made them different from a regular Sloppy Joe?

TCD

https://midnightsnack.wordpress.com/iconic-sandwiches/new-jersey-sloppy-joe/

New Jersey Sloppy Joe

You gotta take a look at the north Jersey Sloppy Joe wars. The sloppy joe with the coleslaw and pastrami… My dad was nuts about those. i like the turkey version.

the NJ sloppy joe has no resemblance at all to the tomato/meat style. It is a regular deli sandwich with coleslaw on it. The North Jersey delis all lay claim to them. My take on them is fresh sliced roast turkey on rye with swiss, russian dressing, and lots of coleslaw. my o my

Jim S

turkeyjoe.jpg?w=500

turkeyjoecrosssection.jpg?w=500

THE SKINNY ON THE JOE AS TOLD BY JAMES F:

You probably know the background of the NJ Sloppy Joe and how it differs from what the rest of the country calls the sandwich of the same name. The NJ version is not ground beef in a sauce on a bun. It’s a double decker on rye with a combination of deli meats, cole slaw, Russian dressing and, sometimes, cheese. It’s always cut into multiple sections, not just into 2 halves. Usually you see them on a big platter at parties, carved into squares about 3″ X 3″ X 3″ with a toothpick holding each section together.

The Millburn Deli makes a gourmet version of the sandwich. The 3 slices of rye are thinly sliced fresh to order, meats are of super high quality (fresh turkey, rare and lean roast beef), there is one slice of Swiss cheese, and the homemade slaw and Russian are kind of sweet and thick, gluing the sandwich together. The sandwich could be described as creamy. You order the sandwich by the (single) type of meat you want, for examples, a Turkey Joe or a Roast Beef Joe. The ham Joe, which I believe is the most popular version, is simply called the Sloppy Joe. One unique feature of the Millburn Deli Joe is that it is sliced into 3! sections – picture an oval rye slice divided this way with 2 opposing D shaped sections surrounding the center Wedge. Just as people have various ways they might approach eating an Oreo cookie, there are different schools of thought on whether to eat from L to R or R to L, start with the Wedge, or save the Wedge for last. (There is no toothpick, as the sandwich is only about 1.5 ” tall.) The sandwich has remained essentially the same since I first had one around 1970, even though the ownership of the deli has changed. They used to butter each slice of bread – now, that’s only done on request (by some old timers).

Here is their website, which doesn’t give too much info and provides no pictures.

You should order one (or some) and see what you think.

The MD SJ was recently featured in a NY Times Article:

I’ll try to remember to take a picture next time I eat one.

Millburn is an upscale suburban NJ town whose poshest area is called Short Hills.

JAF

turkeyjoecrosssection.thumbnail.jpg?w=50

I should probably mention that I grew up in Short Hills, NJ, so this was dinner about once a month at my house.  Once I got to high school, where we had an open campus, meaning you could come and go as you pleased as long as you were in your classes when you were supposed be, we would walk to the Millburn Deli for lunch a couple times a month.  Delicious!!

https://midnightsnack.wordpress.com/iconic-sandwiches/new-jersey-sloppy-joe/

I should probably mention that I grew up in Short Hills, NJ, so this was dinner about once a month at my house.  Once I got to high school, where we had an open campus, meaning you could come and go as you pleased as long as you were in your classes when you were supposed be, we would walk to the Millburn Deli for lunch a couple times a month.  Delicious!!

Wow.

You learn something new every day.

I lived in New Jersey for my entire childhood, except for one year.  Call it 17 years.

And until you posted that I never heard of this New Jersey Sloppy Joe.

I'm not sure it was a thing outside of your little community.

TCD

Wow.

You learn something new every day.

I lived in New Jersey for my entire childhood, except for one year. Call it 17 years.

And until you posted that I never heard of this New Jersey Sloppy Joe.

I'm not sure it was a thing outside of your little community.

TCD

I'm working in year 32 and this is news to me. My sloppy joe is manwich

I'm In.... Wish I was at this GG.... Oh wait I was there ! and it was AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!

Taylor Pork Roll can be used as a breakfast meat, lunch or dinner meat. My favorite way is to fry it and then put fried onions, American Chesse, horseradish sauce, on the pork roll in a soft streamed bun... That is a litlle slice of heaven right there.

pork-roll-frying_zps4ea2b8b1.jpg

Looks good.

Does it come pre-sliced or do you slice it as thick as you like?

It looks like fried bologna.

I love fried bologna.

I'm working in year 32 and this is news to me. My sloppy joe is manwich

LOL, me too.

North Jersey should be a different state from South Jersey.  North and South Carolina and North and South Dakota got that deal.  New Jersey needs it too.

Looks good.

Does it come pre-sliced or do you slice it as thick as you like?

It looks like fried bologna.

I love fried bologna.

The way I remember it, it came as a big chunk of meat in a cloth bag, like this:

3lbs-Taylor-Pork-Roll.jpg

You would slice it how you like it.

But, they now apparently sell it pre-sliced in a package too.  Like this:

220px-Taylor_pork_roll_slices_on_pkg.JPG

Which is heresy.

IMHO

TCD

Also googled butterscotch Krimpet.

Just in case your interested.

Signature moist and fluffy sponge cake is accented with legendary Tastykake butterscotch icing, or infused with a variety of delicious jellies. With a distinctive and unique shape that fits right into your fingertips, each Krimpet is a perfect handheld treat. Tasytykake Krimpets have been considered icons of the brand since their introduction in 1927.

Scrapple can be an acqiured taste, but if you get good homemade stuff it is incredible and delicious.    Take Rennie up on the offer. 

The scrapple I had was homemade by a guy outside Williamsport who butchers his own hogs.  It tasted fine enough....but he told me what's in it.  That was it for me.  Even though I grew up on a farm, my stomach wasn't made for pioneer days. 

The scrapple I had was homemade by a guy outside Williamsport who butchers his own hogs.  It tasted fine enough....but he told me what's in it.  That was it for me.  Even though I grew up on a farm, my stomach wasn't made for pioneer days. 

The key is not to ask what's in it, I mean do you ask what's in hot dogs?

Come down in June and find out, I do not think you will de disappointed

I'm a pretty adventurous eater.

My rule about food is try everything once. I'll never know if I like it if I don't try it.

And there's only been one food I refused to try when it was offered to me.

Don't ask. Trust me you don't want to know.

When will you be there in June? We leave June 14th.

I like that little trailer....it would be the perfect size for us and the pups! Scrapple kinda freaks me out. My sister eats it, which is surprising - she's a pretty picky eater. To be honest, I don't remember what's in it - I just remember that there was an ingredient or two that bothered me.

ok Marty, 37 yrs in NJ and I never heard of that kind of sloppy Joe. Scrapple, now my old man like that so we ate it, not too bad if you cook it well and like hot dogs you do not, I repeat do NOT want to know whats in it.

in case you want to know, it's lips and assholes in hotdogs and intestines in scrapple but I didn't say that

ok Marty, 37 yrs in NJ and I never heard of that kind of sloppy Joe. Scrapple, now my old man like that so we ate it, not too bad if you cook it well and like hot dogs you do not, I repeat do NOT want to know whats in it.

in case you want to know, it's lips and assholes in hotdogs and intestines in scrapple but I didn't say that

And brains. Don't forget the brains. And the eyeballs.

The key is not to ask what's in it, I mean do you ask what's in hot dogs?

No I don't. But I don't eat hot dogs either.