I was thinking on Friday that my lunch time is not as entertaining without a TCD report, so has come at just the right time.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about no update today.  With that in mind, i postponed watching the videos until today.  They were worth the wait. :D

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dragon was in a cold place and hungry. Everyone knows fat guys in ear muffs make the best eating. He's not controlling her. He's trying to get out before the gears grind him up and feed him to the

Yes, she had a free weekend, and she used it to visit Ireland.  See details below.     Thanks for the link.  Did you see the webcam?  It shows that this is a super-busy intersection.  Twin #1's photo

I don't read TRs. And y'all need to stay off the buses!!!

Before you get too excited, the calliope doesn't actually play.  When you push the button, it's a tape that plays.  And, I'm not even sure if it's an actual recording of the calliope.

TCD

There's an interesting comment from YouTube user riverexplorer this afternoon stating that this is definitely NOT the actual calliope in the recording. 

All we need to do is start a Fort Fiends Newspaper and make TCD our WDW feature editor.

That's a great idea!  But who would read it?

Hot dang.  That rocks.

I will continue to test for cracks and loopholes in the system.  The ones I've found so far are good ones.  Having 9 FP+'s a day is better than only having 3.

Did she forget who is paying the bill? :rotfl6:

Good point.

But, she knows I am going to be paying the bill no matter what.  So, that one doesn't work too well.

Looking foward to the whole report.

We will get back on track today.

Digging the pics of the new coaster.

I was a little worried about the thread title. I was concerned thatTCD was going hippie.

The use of the word "yet" in the first installment has me thinking....foreshadowing

The new coaster looks great.  Hopefully the actual ride will be great too.

No worries, I have no plans to go hippie.

Sorry for that "yet."  That was not intentional foreshadowing.  More like a blatant tease.

I was thinking on Friday that my lunch time is not as entertaining without a TCD report, so has come at just the right time.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up about no update today.  With that in mind, i postponed watching the videos until today.  They were worth the wait. :D

Glad to make your lunch time more fun.  I'll see if I can get an update up before today's lunch as well.

I'm glad that you liked the videos.  I think the recording about the TCD ranch is well done and informative.

Learning a lot of good information. Loved the horse barn video I will make it there next time for sure!

Glad that you can learn something from a quick trip.

There is more Fort information coming up later.  I found a new construction project that I didn't know about, and I'm not sure what it is.  I have photos, though.

There's an interesting comment from YouTube user riverexplorer this afternoon stating that this is definitely NOT the actual calliope in the recording. 

Thank you for pointing that out.  I wouldn't have gone back to look.  I clicked on riverexplorer's name to see what his deal is, and it looks like he's a calliope freak.  Who knew?

I thought maybe he was somebody from here, but now I don't think so.  He must stalk YouTube for calliope videos.

And, here I thought that I was weird.

I wouldn't wait 5 hours to meet a princess even if she was giving free lap dances. That's crazy!

What about if it was Princess Jasmine?

Still no?

OK- how about Princess Leia in the slave costume?

I think I got you there.

TCD

Here we go.

We left off with us deciding to try our luck with the BOG lunch stand-by line.

The last time we ate lunch here, I was able to snag a FP+ reservation, and we walked right in.  It's hard to have to wait in a long line in the sun after that.  But I figured we could try.

We had joined the line at 11:12 am, when it was extending over the bridge and around the corner.  By the time I snapped this photo at 11:16 am, we were already on the bridge about 3/4 of the way down:

42714068_zps160de117.jpg

When we first visited this area over a year ago, I remember noticing the canvas that was stretched across the water under the bridge that you can see from the bridge leading to the restaurant.  This is the canvas I'm referring to (photo from November, 2012) :

FantasylandPP190.jpg

Now, that canvas is finally gone, and water flows under the bridge:

42714069_zps7efacea9.jpg

The trees and landscaping have continued to grow over the last year and a half, and it all still looks great:

42714070_zps95908f58.jpg

Now that it's warm again, they've broken out the umbrellas that they provide to the guests baking in the sun- they have new ones:

42714071_zpsbabafd4b.jpg

Another look at the forest:

42714072_zps906587a3.jpg

A look back at the Mine Train ride with no construction walls to block the view:

42714073_zps4f05c0b0.jpg

You can see that there were a lot of guys in hardhats out today- I guess they're finally getting serious about maybe opening the ride.  Maybe:

42714074_zps0d9e0875.jpg

42714075_zps2c03cc3a.jpg

Remember how we got in line at 11:12 am?  AT 11:29 we were here:

42714076_zpsb0829c45.jpg

I'll take that.

That's just 17 minutes.

Who needs a FP+?

And, once you're in that armor room, you're in the AC.  I don't mind waiting at that point.

We got through the ordering process pretty quickly, found our seat in the main ballroom like always, and in what seemed like just two or three minutes, we had our food.

I love BOG.

I had the pork, Twin #1 had the turkey sandwich.  Those are our respective favorites.  We were both pleased.

And, then it was time to cash in our first SM FP+.

The obligatory ride photo- note that I have a blue MB here:

42714077_zpse99813a2.jpg

Have you heard about the free phone charging lockers they've installed in the MK?  I had, but wasn't sure what they looked like.  Well, there's one in the SM gift shop, so now we all know:

42714079_zps6e7e4f42.jpg

42714078_zps89873ca0.jpg

It's advertised as a free service, but you have so scan a credit card to open the locker.  I don't like that.  Apparently, there are adapters in the locker that will fit a variety of phones so you don't even need to bring a charger.  I predict these will be popular for the upcoming 24 hour MK event.  There are other locations too. I think just in the MK.

From Space, we were heading to the nice air conditioning of Philharmagic.  On the way there, Tigger and Pooh walked right by:

42714080_zpsddc71a0a.jpg

42714081_zps9688b3c7.jpg

We stopped at one of the kiosks outside Philharmagic, and a CM helped us pick three new FP+ selections on the extra wristbands I had from a previous trip.  One of those was for the Jungle Cruise, and we went and rode that.

Then it was time for us to plan our FOF parade strategy.  We had FP+'s for the parade.  But the seating area for FP+ is in the direct sunlight.  We wanted to sit in the shade.  So we waked down Main Street and found a spot on the shady side of the street outside of an Emporium door where the AC blows out.  And we took that.  It meant we had to wait for an hour.  But, that was better to us than walking around and then sitting in the sun.  So, we parked it.

That provided for some good people watching.  I just have one photo to share of the people watching, though.  Here's iPad guy getting a castle photo:

42714082_zps58475792.jpg

That hour passed by quickly, and all the space around us filled.  And then the parade commenced.  This was only my second time seeing it.  It started the same as the last time, with the dancing ladies in fancy dresses:

42714083_zps24831e2a.jpg

42714084_zps33384e54.jpg

And then the princess float, with Belle and the Beast up front:

42714085_zps14f2bea6.jpg

42714086_zps46af2dda.jpg

The last time we saw this parade, the center part with Cinderella and her prince did not spin fast enough for us to see them. Today, it was spinning and both side of the street got a look:

42714087_zps1280b765.jpg

But, the back part of the float, which was spinning last time, was not today, so we got a good look at Tiana and Naveen:

42714088_zpsf667f65d.jpg

I at first thought maybe Anna and Elsa wouldn't be on the float, but they were.  You could only see them after the float passed, and not very well:

42714089_zps232a9dca.jpg

42714090_zps26ecff3a.jpg

I'm not sure if they permanently have stopped the back part from spinning, but I kind of think that they have.  That way, everyone gets to see the Frozen girls.  I liked it better when it spun.

One of the things that surprised me when I first saw the parade was the big mime that walked in front of the Tangled float.  He was out again today.  When I saw him, I commented to Twin #1 that I hoped he didn't get up in my face. That is a running joke in our family- everyone knows that I don't care for mimes and clowns.  I am not afraid of them, like some people, I just find them annoying, and prefer that they keep their distance. It looked like I was safe, because he was sticking to the other side of the street:

42714091_zpsd7aa1832.jpg

But then he moved to the center to dance:

42714093_zps950d317d.jpg

Uh-oh:

42714094_zpsfe24404e.jpg

42714095_zpsd3c30e1e.jpg

My lucky day!

Mime Butt:

42714096_zpsfe13df91.jpg

I have to admit that this mime is pretty funny.

When we first saw this parade, we all commented on how much detail there was on all the floats and costumes.  We all agreed that you would need to watch the parade many times to enjoy all of the detail.  Sure enough, I noticed a bunch of detail on the Tangled float that I hadn't the first time around.  For example, look at how Rapunzel's hair winds around the whole float.  Also note the Snuggly Duckling sign, which apparently has been hung by someone on front of this boat:

42714097_zps7ca502ef.jpg

Twin #1 pointed out that one bad thing about being on this side of the street is that we got to see Maximus' butt instead of Flynn's.  That wasn't as much a concern to me as it was to her.  But make a note of it in case it matters to you.

Well, that's 30 quality photos.

So, we have to cut this update off here.

In the next one, we will pick up right where we left off here at the Tangled float.  Coming up-horse and dragon butts.

TCD

Those charging stations only charge 6 phones at one? Are they offering FP+ for those? Otherwise I predict they will be nearly impossible to get once the word is out. 

You're wait times for BOG are very helpful. I've told friends to eat there, but the line scares them away. 

Those charging stations only charge 6 phones at one? Are they offering FP+ for those? Otherwise I predict they will be nearly impossible to get once the word is out. 

You're wait times for BOG are very helpful. I've told friends to eat there, but the line scares them away. 

Yup- just six spots.  But, I think there's another charging station in Cosmic Rays, and maybe other places too.  But you're right- once word gets out, they will be hard to get.  There's no time limit, so people may leave them in there longer than they need to.

That line scares a lot of people away.  We've joined it when it's been around the corner before, and we've heard guests comment that the line is too long.  On a busy day at lunch time-there will be lines at all the quick serve.  I'd rather wait here and enjoy this food than wait and eat a burger at Cosmic Rays.

The Charging Stations are pretty cool, but why a credit card to open them?

Ray and Jason got it right below.

I don't know how my font got set to tiny.

You must have accidentally clicked on the superscript icon before you typed.

if i remember correctly the credit card acts as your key to open the door and retrieve your phone.  and thats all its suppose to be for 

Good job, Ray.

The credit card is your key. Only your card will re open it. No one can spy your code or snag your band to reopen. Save a gift card once its used up and try that. The coding should be similar enough to work.

I wondered about using an old room key with a magnetic strip.  That's how the in-room safes work on DCL- you can use anything with a magnetic strip.

I am not paranoid about using my cc for it, just curious why that was the method chose. Thanks.

I'm not paranoid either, but still why scan your card someplace when you don't have to?  Who knows who has access to that information?

TCD

Since I know you like a good hijack... On the topic of phone charging.

I managed a day trip to the Magic Kingdom back in March and was not shocked to discover that the battery on my phone didn't last the whole day. It wasn't hard to find electrical outlets (e.g., waiting room area of CBJ, near the bathrooms by Space Mountain, inside the SOTMK fire hall) where I was able to boost it out of the red.

When I got back home I bought myself a little 2600 mAh battery pack. It's 3.75" long, 0.75" wide and weighs 2.5 ounces. In my testing at home it has taken my iPhone 5 battery from 18% to 94% in about 90 minutes. (Though that's without using the phone during that time.) Then the battery pack needs a couple of hours to recharge. I'd rather leave a battery pack recharging in one of those public stations than my phone.

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to field test it back at the Magic Kingdom yet. I think I should apply for a research grant.

The reviews on Amazon for that particular model aren't great, but there are lots of similar products, including bigger ones with higher mAh values. I wanted something small that wouldn't add to my purse/bag weight.

I'm with you on the mime.  Creepy.  Stay away. 

Exactly.

If I had a nickel for every time Mrs. TCD tells someone that I'm afraid of mimes . . .

I'm not afraid- I just don't like them.  They're not funny.  They're annoying.  I don't want some dude in makeup getting up in my grill.  Go away.

Since I know you like a good hijack... On the topic of phone charging.

I managed a day trip to the Magic Kingdom back in March and was not shocked to discover that the battery on my phone didn't last the whole day. It wasn't hard to find electrical outlets (e.g., waiting room area of CBJ, near the bathrooms by Space Mountain, inside the SOTMK fire hall) where I was able to boost it out of the red.

When I got back home I bought myself a little 2600 mAh battery pack. It's 3.75" long, 0.75" wide and weighs 2.5 ounces. In my testing at home it has taken my iPhone 5 battery from 18% to 94% in about 90 minutes. (Though that's without using the phone during that time.) Then the battery pack needs a couple of hours to recharge. I'd rather leave a battery pack recharging in one of those public stations than my phone.

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to field test it back at the Magic Kingdom yet. I think I should apply for a research grant.

The reviews on Amazon for that particular model aren't great, but there are lots of similar products, including bigger ones with higher mAh values. I wanted something small that wouldn't add to my purse/bag weight.

There's no doubt that these charger stations are being installed to address the problem of how the MDE app drains phone batteries.

I say to heck with that.  The app isn't that useful anyway.  Make your reservations and screen-cap them.  Then use the kiosks in the parks for any changes.  Done.

I agree with you- I'd rather use one of those supplemental chargers than leave my phone in one of those lockers. Too many things could go wrong there.  Ten bucks solves the problem.  And you can have your phone with you as it charges.  No brainer.

TCD

Moving on.

With any luck, there's another day trip on the way, so I need to get this one knocked out.

We left off with the parade.

The Tangled float.

Remember?

Here's another photo that shows how Rapunzel's hair is wound all around the float:

42714098_zps0b203290.jpg

I haven't seen Tangled as many times as Twin #1, so I asked her to explain to me what the Fort is going on here on this float.  Why is it a boat?  Why is the Snuggly Duckling sign hung on the front?  And, what are these things that are swinging back and forth, and why is Maximus on one of them?:

42714099_zps513404e5.jpg

I figured that maybe I fell asleep during the movie, and missed something.  Apparently not.  The best Twin #1 could do is say that the theme of the parade is fantasy-so this is some kind of imagined scene involving the characters from the movie.  Sorry, but I don't get it.

Why are these guys swinging back and forth on these giant things- and what do they have to do with a Viking ship?:

42714100_zpsc8f63d31.jpg

It turns out that I was wrong about not getting to see Flynn's butt.  Well, not quite, the satchel blocked the view:

42714101_zps63b74da7.jpg

You may have noticed in some of the other photos, and you can really see here that there are a lot of skeleton decorations on this float.  Mainly fish skeletons, but I see a human-ish one there on the back:

42714102_zpsf95f46a5.jpg

What's up with that?  Was there a lot of skeletons in the movie?

Next up is the Little Mermaid float.  It is preceded by dancers in aquatic themed costumes.  That all makes sense to me:

42714103_zps586eaa92.jpg

42714104_zps62624930.jpg

The girl in the seashell costume wasn't the same as the last time, and this one didn't blow me a kiss.  Poor girl must need glasses:

42714105_zps5eac4578.jpg

42714106_zps2fadcdbc.jpg

I like this costume:

42714107_zps2e11dea3.jpg

And this one too:

42714108_zps34a5d990.jpg

Here comes the float.  On this one, we see that Sebastian is sitting up front, and they're being pulled like a horse wagon by a couple of fish:

42714109_zps7f3ee195.jpg

OK- so is the theme of this parade unique modes of transportation?  We saw Rapunzel on a boat and now Ariel on some kind of fish wagon.  Is that it?

It was near 90 degrees today.  These guys with the costumes made out of shower curtains were not loving the warmth:

42714110_zps0b80b0f5.jpg

But I'll bet these guys would have traded their costumes for those shower curtain ones:

42714111_zps53f70387.jpg

Seriously, these guys won't live through summer dancing around in all that fur.  The person who designed these costumes should be forced to wear one and march along with these poor guys.

My unique transportation theme logic for the parade is shot to heck by the Peter Pan float.  This is just a skull and an island connected by a rainbow:

42714112_zpsf4b4dbee.jpg

42714113_zpsac35730c.jpg

And, sorry to complain, but this float is too high.  You can't even see Peter and Wendy way up there.

Captain Hook was solo on the anchor again.  And this time he was not swinging.  He just stood there:

42714114_zps597df8ce.jpg

I am glad that they use the female version of Tinkerbell on this float:

42714115_zps8dbf7ce3.jpg

Mr. Smee had to walk again:

42714116_zpsd1fb9970.jpg

One more shot of the back of the float to show how tall it is:

42714117_zpsc13a3fe0.jpg

Go Gata:

42714118_zpscaa2fccb.jpg

Here's a last look at the float where you can see how tall it is compared to the Main Street buildings:

42714119_zps3bb9e355.jpg

Sorry, but I don't understand why they had to make these floats so dang tall.

Next came some Scottish dancers.  I never noticed that the dudes were wearing wigs.  It was very noticeable on the African American dancer.  He has long straight hair.  Just like they all wear it in Scotland I guess:

42714120_zpsa28a524b.jpg

The Merida float also blasts my unique modes of transportation theme out of the water.  Merida is riding a giant bagpipe, and there is no visible driver:

42714121_zpsdaedf948.jpg

42714122_zps9aa9ace5.jpg

Next up is the Sleeping Beauty float.

The fairies come first.  I didn't notice it the last time, but these ladies are traveling on wheels:

42714123_zps61dd5e00.jpg

I don't know how I missed this last time.  Maybe they weren't on the wheels last time.  It's pretty cool how they can just spin around in unison:

42714124_zps4d196ede.jpg

They just roll up the street.  I'm not sure who controls them.  Their hands are free, so I don't think they are controlling the movement.  But, it would be hard to stay balanced if someone else was doing it.  It's all very interesting:

42714125_zps682db3a8.jpg

Next up are the stilt walkers:

42714126_zps96a6b253.jpg

and the bird men:

42714127_zps633c8f98.jpg

Again, I'm not sure what's going on here.  There's a Prince with a sword and shield running around there with the stilt walkers and bird men.  I guess they are the bad guys? 

The dragon is coming, and I have a lot of questions about it.  But we will have to do that in the next update, as we are again at the photo limit.

In the next update, we will finish with the parade and then move up to using some more of those FP+'s we have.

TCD

While this parade is spectacular, I don't think I'm gonna like it.

There aren't enough classic Disney characters.  I don't want to see the recent Disney princesses and bad guys.  I want to see the Fab Five.  (I know I'm showing my age.)

Disney, get rid of these too-tall floats and bring back the Christmas garland!

All caught up!

Looking forward to more as always.

It was nice to have a TCD report to read today.

I think I have some others to catch up on too.

And one to work on myself.

Looking forward to the Fort excursion part!

Glad to provide a little light reading for you, brother.

Hang in there.

We will be getting to the Fort soon.

As proof that I was there, I had some cold GAG chicken and Trail's End cornbread for lunch today.

Wish I could send you some.

TCD, my parents got a spot up on the train station at 3. They were pretty lucky. Ended up talking to some CM that was on her day off who ended up giving them some pins (not parade related). Sometimes it is good to be Mommy & Daddy of Beckers lol

It is good to be M&DofB!

I want to watch from the train station some time.  It looks like there is some shade up there, and it would be cool to be eye to eye with some of the performers on the tall floats.

While this parade is spectacular, I don't think I'm gonna like it.

There aren't enough classic Disney characters.  I don't want to see the recent Disney princesses and bad guys.  I want to see the Fab Five.  (I know I'm showing my age.)

Disney, get rid of these too-tall floats and bring back the Christmas garland!

The Fab Five are all there.

I like the parade a lot. I think you will too.

I'm with you on the garland, though.  I am really going to miss it.

In response to the stilt walkers and dragon......

http://youtu.be/DaVIKlZrn6w

Thanks.

I remember this scene.  There were vines.  And thorns.  No stilt walkers or bird men.

And, this will dovetail into the questions I want to ask about the steampunk dragon in the parade.  We are going there in the next update.

TCD

The Fab Five are all there.

I like the parade a lot. I think you will too.

I'm with you on the garland, though.  I am really going to miss it.

I hope I like it.  It just seems like the Fab Five are an afterthought. I'll let you know after our October trip.

I hope I like it.  It just seems like the Fab Five are an afterthought. I'll let you know after our October trip.

You're right about that- Mickey and Minnie are on the last float, and Donald, Goofy and Pluto are definitely not highlighted.  But, they are all there.

I think you'll like it- the music and all the performers have to be seen and heard live to truly appreciate it.

TCD