Okay...so when we get the Fort and hook up our sewer, do you keep the tanks open (am I saying this right?).  We went to a local dump station today (our first time and I think we did okay! :) ), and while we were there I was thinking... do you leave the pull lever out so that the sewer dumps each time or do you wait and dump when you need to?   

Leave the grey water tank open until the morning you're scheduled to leave.

Close the black water tank valve and dump as needed.

The morning you leave, open the black water valve and dump ... followed by grey water to help flush out your black water.

Then if you don't have a black water rinse apparatus, fill your commode with water and dump several times.

All valves closed till 1 of 2 things happen 1 tanks full or your ready to leave if you do this pull sewer first that will create a suction to pull solids out then pull grey to help clean out hose. If you leave the sewer valve open the liquid will run out the solid wont it will sit in the tank and harden bad news.

That's the way I do it

All valves closed till 1 of 2 things happen 1 tanks full or your ready to leave if you do this pull sewer first that will create a suction to pull solids out then pull grey to help clean out hose. If you leave the sewer valve open the liquid will run out the solid wont it will sit in the tank and harden bad news.

That's the way I do it

That is how we do it too.

So... they stay closed, until we're ready to leave (or they're full)...then we pull the commode line first, then the grey line.

Got it!  :thumbsup1:   

Yes, and if you're showering and washing dishes in the camper, you'll end up dumping that a few times a trip, probably every other day. 

That's the way I do it

We use to do it this way. Then we added a washing machine to the camper and tied it in to the grey water. So now I leave the grey water open so the DW doesn't flood the camper.

Gwen that's about 150 gallons of wasted water. I do the same as others. When I close the black and let the gray out I go inside and put 3-4 bowls of water down the toilet with 2 packs of the blue powder. While driving home it sloshes and cleans the tank. I had some friends who did their black tank 3 times with fresh water and I thought what a wasteful person. There is no reason to clean the black tank like that if you follow my procedure.

Gwen that's about 150 gallons of wasted water. I do the same as others. When I close the black and let the gray out I go inside and put 3-4 bowls of water down the toilet with 2 packs of the blue powder. While driving home it sloshes and cleans the tank. I had some friends who did their black tank 3 times with fresh water and I thought what a wasteful person. There is no reason to clean the black tank like that if you follow my procedure.

Donnie your getting old and need glasses. :lol: That's what she said fill the commode not the tank.

Once emptied and flushed I put any ice chest ice down the toilet along with toilet chemicals. The sloshing of the ice as you drive helps break up remaining solids, the liquid helps make sure they don't set up, and the chemicals break it down and minimize odor if you don't have another chance to dump for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gwen that's about 150 gallons of wasted water.

Donnie your getting old and need glasses. :)) That's what she said fill the commode not the tank.

I'm not wasting water.  And I'm not filling the commode.  The morning before we leave we close off the grey tank and accumulate the water I use while I'm cleaning.  We dump the sewer first. Then we use the sewer tank cleanout thing (don't know what it's called).  It's built into the moho and uses water to rinse out the tank. And then last we dump the grey water.  Does that make sense?

Once emptied and flushed I put any ice chest ice down the toilet along with toilet chemicals. The sloshing of the ice as you drive helps break up remaining solids, the liquid helps make sure they don't set up, and the chemicals break it down and minimize odor if you don't have another chance to dump for a while. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great idea...thanks!

Just to add my 2 cents worth.  We keep them both closed and dump as needed.  But once the grey tank needs to be dumped I always dump the black water first.  After the last time I dump the black the morning we leave, there the a place on the MH to connect a hose to rinse the tank.  I let it rinse for a good 5 minutes and thne close it add about a gallon of water and chemicals for the ride home.  Then we dump at a campground by our house and do another 5 minute rinse.

The main reason I was told to keep the tanks closed was so no sewer gas could get back in the MH.  But the comment above about keeping the solid waste from being left behind makes great sense also.

Once emptied and flushed I put any ice chest ice down the toilet along with toilet chemicals. The sloshing of the ice as you drive helps break up remaining solids, the liquid helps make sure they don't set up, and the chemicals break it down and minimize odor if you don't have another chance to dump for a while. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do this also.

This is a thread about poop! I can't believe it hasn't been hijacked yet, especially because good answers have already been given. 

Go figure.  A thread about poop and we stay on topic for ages.

But then again, it's already poop... where else can it possibly go?   :rofl2:

We do this also.

This is a thread about poop! I can't believe it hasn't been hijacked yet, especially because good answers have already been given. 

Go figure.  A thread about poop and we stay on topic for ages.

But then again, it's already poop... where else can it possibly go?   :rofl2:

Good thing Lou doesn't get back till tomorrow.