Second Fort Trip!: trip report

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm reporting live from Georgia! We just crossed the line from Florida into Georgia. It took us a while, but we got everything packed and into the car. The ice machine on our loop had a new sign on it, directing us to the ice machine between all four loops (1600-1900). This is the machine that wasn't working the other day and had the old-looking "Out of Order" sign on it. So, we drove over and parked right across from that comfort station. We put our eight quarters in......and got nothing! This whole ice fiasco has been ridiculous! Kenneth flagged down a cast member, on a golf cart, and told her the machine took our money but didn't give us ice. He told her we could drive over to the other machine, but she said she could have someone deliver us some ice to our site. So, she brought us two bags (just like the other day) and Kenneth offered to pay her for the second bag. She refused to take the money, so we got 20 pounds of ice for $2 again! That's a pretty good deal for us, but I wish they would just fix all of the ice machines.

As we were packing up, we met our neighbor across from us. We interacted a little bit on Facebook the other day (on one of the fort wilderness group pages), but just met in person today. All of the people we've met (Fiends and not) have been really laid-back and friendly. The camping environment is so different from the resorts. At the resorts you might speak in passing, but at the campground you actually have conversations with the people around you. I think we may try for camping in January or February. We need to go ahead and try to get our dates narrowed down, so we can try to get us a site.

Happy to be home. Now, we have to get the car unloaded and get back into work mode. I was so happy to take a shower at home today - it's great to get in the shower without having flip flops on! I think I might have a few pictures on the camera that I can add to this report. I didn't do very well about taking pictures, but I'll see if there's anything worthwhile to share.

It was quite the hot dog, too! It was the barbecue slaw dog.....a hot dog piled high with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, and slaw. It had to be eaten with a fork.

That BBQ Slaw Dog is OUTSTANDING!  We used forks as well. :jumpforjoy

Happy to be home.

Glad you made it home safely, but I gotta say "Happy to be home" is something you will never hear me say after a Disney trip!  We usually pull into the driveway and say "let's turn around and go back!"

We usually go home, with the next trip already booked! We know we'll be back in September, hopefully once more before then.

Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

The food all looks good.

The sundae looked delicious.

I need to take a walk to the chest freezer now.

The sundae was good. Wish I had one right now!

It was quite the hot dog, too! It was the barbecue slaw dog.....a hot dog piled high with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, and slaw. It had to be eaten with a fork.

That BBQ Slaw Dog is OUTSTANDING!  We used forks as well. :jumpforjoy

We came home and made these at home the next day. We used the pre-packaged Jack Daniel's BBQ pork and deli coleslaw from Publix (we were too lazy to do any real cooking). Not as good as Casey's, but not bad.

93523E67-904A-4E45-ADEB-535F97AC44CF.jpg

Glad you made it home safely.

Looking forward to your future trip reports.

Thank you!

Glad you are home safe.  No matter how good a trip we have, it's always good to be home in our house, with our nice bed and our own shower.  Then after taking a shower and getting jammies on, I sit with the laptop planning our next trip.  

Yup!

Buzz had some issues on the way home. He got sick a couple of times (he never gets carsick). He wasn't doing any better the next day, so we took him to the vet yesterday. We were really afraid he might have picked up a bug from another dog, but it turns out he was just stressed. The stress messed him up pretty bad, so the vet gave us some meds and some probiotics to get his system corrected. He seems much better today (thank goodness). In fact, here's Buzz and Dakota getting cozy last night.

E6E56419-5E1C-4BB1-A1D3-8B4F463DD691.jpg

I didn't take hardly any pictures on my camera. Here's just a few more pictures from our trip.

IMG_12151.jpg

IMG_12181.jpg

IMG_12191.jpg

IMG_12241.jpg

IMG_12251.jpg

Awesome pics!

Glad Buzz is feeling better!

I'm in.

I just realized I never chimed in.

That's new for me. Usually I never shut up.

To much to comment on.

Let me just say great TR with great pix. Thanks for sharing.

Glad there wasn't anything seriously wrong with Buzz.

Thanks, y'all! Buzz is completely back to normal now. I think getting back into our normal routine is good for him.

I missed a couple of posts before. Kenneth was reading the trip report today, and brought these to my attention. Sorry about that.

For future reference there are a couple of short term car parking spots at the Meadows Trading post. You can park there to grab your ice or whatever you need. 

I really appreciate this info. I had no idea. I assumed the only parking near there, would be for golf carts. Parking the car there would have been great, because we had the cooler in the back of the car. I think next time, we will do this instead of trying the ice machines.

We're bummed about heading home. Maybe I can talk Kenneth into a quick summer trip. We'll have to see what we can do.

Yes, please!  If each trip didn't cost us $600 in diesel fuel we'd be at the fort several times each year.  

Wow! We can fill the Durango for less than $100 and make it all the way to the Fort! We've been looking at pop ups and know that our fuel costs will go up, if we go this route!

New to the forum so this is 1 of my 1st TR readings. Your report reads like a great template for reports. Your pics are great to the point almost of no comments needed to explain. Love the composition of flowers, monorail and EPCOT ball. Mouth watering pood forn. Thanks for inspiring TR!!!

Buzz looks just fine now....doing what dogs do best.

Dang.  Forgot about using color filters on the camera.  Nice shot of the Trading Post sign with the roses.

New to the forum so this is 1 of my 1st TR readings. Your report reads like a great template for reports. Your pics are great to the point almost of no comments needed to explain. Love the composition of flowers, monorail and EPCOT ball. Mouth watering pood forn. Thanks for inspiring TR!!!

Thanks for reading! I had to crouch down on the ground, behind those flowers for the monorail/Epcot ball shot! I think people were wondering what the heck I was doing, but I thought it would make for a good pic.

Buzz looks just fine now....doing what dogs do best.

Dang.  Forgot about using color filters on the camera.  Nice shot of the Trading Post sign with the roses.

I just learned that the camera could do that. We rarely take the camera to Disney with us - I need to learn what else it can do, and start taking some pictures!