I think 3D is getting better all the time. I'm not sure what has changed in the last several years but I find the new(er) Star Tours video to be much better than, say, It's Tough to be a Bug. 3D TVs are even better, with their LCD shutter glasses. Maybe the cost of the shutter glasses will get low enough that they can be used at attractions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will go against popular opinion and say that I don't want a new film.

Nobody hang-glides in Florida.  It wouldn't make any sense for there to be a film shown from a hang-gliders perspective in Florida.

I like the current film- the timing of it, the scents, the music, etc.  It works.

What I would love to see is a huge upgrade of the projection equipment.  The current state of what they show in the theater is unacceptable.

TCD

I think a new film would be cool if they started in California and ended up in Florida.

Imagine hang gliding over the Grand Canyon, skiing the mountains of Utah. Soar'in over pikes peek. Crossing the beautiful plains of oklahoma. Swooping down over the mighty Mississippi. Almost getting bit by an alligator in the bayous of Louisiana. Flying down the beautiful Florida west coast beaches and finally arriving at Epcot. I can smell the pine trees at Pikes Peak as I type. That

Fresh smell of the oranges growing in Florida. (They already have that scent).

I hope they keep the old and add a new and upgrade the projection equipment. And I hope they get rid of that annoying black speck. Does anyone else get annoyed by the speck?

And I hope they get rid of that annoying black speck. Does anyone else get annoyed by the speck?

That's my point exactly!

The projection is awful!  Its not just one speck, there is dirt and specks throughout the film. It completely ruins the illusion that you're flying on a hang glider.  Just re-master the film and upgrade the projection equipment, and I'd be happy.

I'd much rather see them spend money on a new attraction at Epcot.

But, I see what they're doing.  Classic Disney tactics.  Run something into the ground by not maintaining it properly, and then spend a little money to bring it back to the condition that it should have been in in the first place, and make a big deal about it like it's a new attraction or something.  See, e.g. The Living Seas, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, the Mexico boat ride, Wonders of Life, and the Imagination Pavilion (the last two are still in the run into the ground stage).

TCD

I agree with TCD on the film based just on Florida. It would be quite boreing without the majestic scenery of mountains and whatnot. I also agree that the film needs to be cleaned up. Our best ride with sorin was the first time since it was jaw dropping. Now any rides later you notice the flaws. I agree that it should be more than just California. The ultimate would be in HD digital format and be set up like Star Tours and have a different experience with each ride. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to film a few different movies and have the ability to get a different one each time. I think 3D would be totally awesome if they could pull it off right on the size and quality of a scren like Sorin

Ooohhh, here's an idea. Incorporate magic band and LCD shutter glasses into one unit. You get one pair of glasses for your whole trip (no wondering "did they really wash these between shows"). When not in a 3d attraction they could function as sunglasses. And at the end of your trip you turn them in/transfer to a band to get your deposit back and they get a real cleaning and recharging.

Also, I like the Soarin' Over America idea. I like the current film, but it seems weird to have a Cali-centric ride at WDW. I get it, it just seem weird. If they redid it, though, I doubt they'd end with a Christmas parade going on, which I'd really miss.

... I hope they get rid of that annoying black speck. Does anyone else get annoyed by the speck?

Yes!

... film a few different movies and have the ability to get a different one each time. I think 3D would be totally awesome if they could pull it off right on the size and quality of a scren like Sorin

Love that idea!

...I like the Soarin' Over America idea. I like the current film, but it seems weird to have a Cali-centric ride at WDW. I get it, it just seem weird.

Agreed.

I like the current film, but it seems weird to have a Cali-centric ride at WDW. 

No weirder than only offering Cali-centric merchandise at the east coast Disney stores!

Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves.  I don't want to drive 1.5 hours to the closest Disney outlet only to be offered good deals on Disneyland merchandise.

No weirder than only offering Cali-centric merchandise at the east coast Disney stores!

Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves.  I don't want to drive 1.5 hours to the closest Disney outlet only to be offered good deals on Disneyland merchandise.

You'll get no argument from me! I miss the good ol' days where if you wanted an EPCOT Center (not budging) tee shirt, you had to GO TO EPCOT CENTER! And none of this "Disney Parks" generic one-shirt-to-rule-them-all crap either!

(Sorry, I feel better now)

That black speck would be right at home on any Florida Windshield.  It never bothered me because I thought it belonged there.  If they updated the video to make it like Florida they could add to the experience by peppering everyone with sticky Chocolate Flavored love bugs.  We may not have hang gliders but we do have paragliders.  Think how much excitement the ride would generate if your hang glider slammed into a building or dropped you into the Gulf Stream.  I'm thinking this new ride could be as much fun as a kayak ride in the Everglades during alligator mating season.

The prospect of this being filmed vs shot with a digital camera is really no big deal. Most movies at the movie theater today, even if they are projected digitally start out life as film. 

Digital projection however would be a great improvement. Even if they just remastered the old movie.

I will go against popular opinion and say that I don't want a new film.

Nobody hang-glides in Florida.  It wouldn't make any sense for there to be a film shown from a hang-gliders perspective in Florida.

I like the current film- the timing of it, the scents, the music, etc.  It works.

What I would love to see is a huge upgrade of the projection equipment.  The current state of what they show in the theater is unacceptable.

TCD

I agree. But I do think 3 D would be nice it did wonders with Star Tours.

I agree with TCD on the film based just on Florida. It would be quite boreing without the majestic scenery of mountains and whatnot. I also agree that the film needs to be cleaned up. Our best ride with sorin was the first time since it was jaw dropping. Now any rides later you notice the flaws. I agree that it should be more than just California. The ultimate would be in HD digital format and be set up like Star Tours and have a different experience with each ride. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to film a few different movies and have the ability to get a different one each time. I think 3D would be totally awesome if they could pull it off right on the size and quality of a scren like Sorin

This.

I'm thinking you guys are not seeing the possibilities of a Florida Centered Souring ride and I would like to offer a few ideas that people hovering at low altitude might find interesting.  You could weave in and out of traffic on I-95 from Miami to Fort Lauderdale just like the natives do on rice rocket motorcycles or you could swoop down on "Katherine the Great" white shark as she swims just off the Fort Lauderdale Beach.  Then you could swing down to the keys and glide under the remains of the seven mile bridge and smell all the rotting fish guts from the decades of fishermen who clean their catch and leave it there.  But wait there is more.  How about a fall into a sink hole that opens up under you and as you are rescued by a impossibly good looking fireman, you are greated by your insurance agent who tells you that you are not in good hands and there for not covered.  You could then fly over the Tallahassee Capitol building, observe the expensive suites being worn by all the politicians and see what your insurance premiums bought.  You could then fly up the coast line from South Beach just like the Border Patrol and Coast Guard helicopters do and look at all the topless beaches.  The ride could then swing over to the Cape where you could witness a Rocket Lauch without having to wait days for the weather to clear or the technical glitches to be fixed.  I'm telling you, the possibilites are endless.  I still think the chocolate flavored love bugs are pure tourist gold.  

I'm thinking you guys are not seeing the possibilities of a Florida Centered Souring ride and I would like to offer a few ideas that people hovering at low altitude might find interesting.  You could weave in and out of traffic on I-95 from Miami to Fort Lauderdale just like the natives do on rice rocket motorcycles or you could swoop down on "Katherine the Great" white shark as she swims just off the Fort Lauderdale Beach.  Then you could swing down to the keys and glide under the remains of the seven mile bridge and smell all the rotting fish guts from the decades of fishermen who clean their catch and leave it there.  But wait there is more.  How about a fall into a sink hole that opens up under you and as you are rescued by a impossibly good looking fireman, you are greated by your insurance agent who tells you that you are not in good hands and there for not covered.  You could then fly over the Tallahassee Capitol building, observe the expensive suites being worn by all the politicians and see what your insurance premiums bought.  You could then fly up the coast line from South Beach just like the Border Patrol and Coast Guard helicopters do and look at all the topless beaches.  The ride could then swing over to the Cape where you could witness a Rocket Lauch without having to wait days for the weather to clear or the technical glitches to be fixed.  I'm telling you, the possibilites are endless.  I still think the chocolate flavored love bugs are pure tourist gold.  

:bellringer: