So, we've been thinking about getting our own golf cart for a while now and, since some Fiends here own their own, I had a few questions before we start looking. Let's pretend, for the sake of convenience, that I know nothing about golf carts or how to buy one (which would be a wholly accurate assumption).

-What are some of the main things I need to look for when picking out a cart?

-Is there much of a benefit to buying new over used?

-What type of maintenance will be required?

-What are some of the pitfalls of transporting a golf cart? We would be transporting via SUV vice RV or pickup.

Any comments/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Jed

Very little benefit to buying new.

If you buy used from an individual, count on having to buy new batteries.

Maintain the water in the batteries.

I'm guessing you are meaning transporting via SUV and trailer?

We have a GREAT sponsor on this board (and good members too) that have a golf cart shop that sells new, factory refurbished used, and also used they take in on trade-in and refurbish themselves.

If you use the golf cart at the Fort, it MUST have headlights and tail lights.

You need to decide between gas and electric, too. If you don't use it often then I think gas would be easier to maintain. Gas carts are lighter and give greater range. They are louder, though, and can be smoky and smelly if not in top condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gas or electric?

We own both.

Gas. We've had ours for about ten years. Only issue we've ever had was a belt wore out. $30 belt and about 5 minutes to install.

Electric. Bought new. About 4 yrs old no problems yet. Check water at the beginning of spring, middle of summer, and in the fall before we put it away for winter.

Both need to have their batteries kept on a charger when not using for an extended period of time.

Newer electric chargers can just be left plugged in their chargers. They shut off automatically when chargered and turn back on to keep the batteries chargered.

Buy a trickle charger, $10-$30, to keep battery charged.

Gas- make sure it has gas and oil and drive it

Electric- you have to constantly charge it. Nothing worse than wanting to go looping and kids didn't put it on the charger last night after driving around ALL day.

Electric- quit

Gas- depending on model a little bit louder. My golf course resently switched to Yamaha gas and I think it's louder than our older gas.

I've also heard that you can't bring gas golf carts to some campgrounds. I don't know if this is true for Fort. But someone smarter than me will answer that question shortly.

Only advantage of buying new is your not possiblely buying someone else's problem.

Our electric was bought new and gas used.

On both check the to make sure it's solid. No loud squeaking, nothing rattling.

Gas- if possible do a compression check. Pretty simple to do and any mechanic can do it in a few minutes.

Check belt to see if it's wore.

Electric- if you find a used one with new batteries awesome. If not ask how old they are. Batteries will last 5 to 7 years and that's if you take good care of them, i.e. Keep them charged and full of water. If their old use that info to

Negoiate price.

As far as towing, I don't tow mine. They stay at the lake. I do remember when I picked up the new one the guy at the golf cart store had me put a tie down across the brake pedal. He said it kept the brake from disengaging while traveling.

We have a GREAT sponsor on this board (and good members too) that have a golf cart shop that sells new, factory refurbished used, and also used they take in on trade-in and refurbish themselves.

Sponsor info can be found here...  :)

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/support-our-site-sponsors-r259

I've also heard that you can't bring gas golf carts to some campgrounds. I don't know if this is true for Fort. But someone smarter than me will answer that question shortly.

The Fort allows gas carts.  Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach and some other area campgrounds don't allow gas.  It would be a good idea to check the policies of the campgrounds you frequent before making a decision.

We bought used, electric, EZGO. It's a 2003 model that we bought in 2008. The seller added front and back lights and a folding windshield.  I wish I had brake lights and turn signals.  I find myself constantly reaching for the turn lever.  I added a remaining power (volt) meter.  There are severaltypes, and others may know more than I do about them. We added a long top to cover the rear seat and a rain cover to ward off the cold and wet while we are at the Fort around Christmas. I replaced the 6 (?) gage wiring with 0000 welding cable, and sprayed the connections with that red stuff that prevents terminal corrosion.  Welding cable has more strands than power cable, which help carry more current with less losses.  Carts are often souped up with higher amp controllers, lift kits, larger tires, etc.  You can really get in deep if you are of a mind to.

• 2 weeks later...

For us, the deciding factor what transporting the cart to/from the Fort.  We are in a class A, pulling a small Pontiac Vibe. We thought "wouldn't it be cool if we could find a cart small enough to fit in the back of our car?".  After some research, we found the Cricket (www.ricksesv.com).   We have used it at the fort for about 10 days and so far love it. The main drawback was people stopping us wanting more info.     The fact that it scrunches up to such a compact size is awesome for us.  It does have drawbacks - it doesn't go as fast as the larger carts (I think we topped at around 12-13mph on the FW radar gun over by the pool, WITH 4 adults onboard.  It IS small - you'll need to "like" the person you're riding with.  The trade-off for being compact (fits in small SUV's and in the back of many extended cab pickups) is....well, the fact that it's small.  They are very cool little carts.

-Mike

For us, the deciding factor what transporting the cart to/from the Fort.  We are in a class A, pulling a small Pontiac Vibe. We thought "wouldn't it be cool if we could find a cart small enough to fit in the back of our car?".  After some research, we found the Cricket (www.ricksesv.com).   We have used it at the fort for about 10 days and so far love it. The main drawback was people stopping us wanting more info.     The fact that it scrunches up to such a compact size is awesome for us.  It does have drawbacks - it doesn't go as fast as the larger carts (I think we topped at around 12-13mph on the FW radar gun over by the pool, WITH 4 adults onboard.  It IS small - you'll need to "like" the person you're riding with.  The trade-off for being compact (fits in small SUV's and in the back of many extended cab pickups) is....well, the fact that it's small.  They are very cool little carts.

-Mike

We just looked up the Cricket and watched a YouTube video advertising it. That's a really neat cart! I couldn't believe when that man said he put his in an HHR!

• 2 months later...

I get to drive a variety of carts at work. Opinins: The fold down windshields are essentially air conditioning. I don't like the big nobby tires even though they look cool.... Not as smooth a ride. The rain curtains are a relatively cheap accessory... One weekend of camping in the rain and you'll want. Get a speed chip! The fold down back seats that convert to a flat place to haul something are also nice.

Ken, before we got our electric cart, which is street legal. I too was always reaching for the turn signal lever. I quickly found a way to stop myself from doing it. I kept a beer in my left hand while I was driving. Lol.

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one! 

Cody

We were at River Plantation in Sevierville this summer.   A couple sites down from us was a Cricket dealer with several models to show.  Neat little carts, but too small for my family.  I suggested to DW that we get a cricket to supplement our EZGO.  That was quickly shot down.  We would need a bigger trailer to haul them along with all the wheelchairs we carry.

Crickets are just soooo bloody expensive! Ive had a regional Craigslist search running for months and, even used, the cheapest I've found is about $3200!

Damn, they really jumped up in price. When we bought ours new 8 years ago the price was 1/2 that. The reason we got rid of it, just too slow.

We bought our gc new and love it.  we use it all the time-even at home.  the fold down back seat is great for hauling "stuff".  we even have an atv trailer we haul around with it.  our cart was brand new and set up the way you see it right from club car.  we bought our cart in 2008 and are very happy with it still today.

fold down seat, long top and a volt meter? (if i have that right) for an electric cart are good things to have.  

we bought electric because it is quiet and doesn't stink.  i've also heard some folks having gas carts and their seats getting hot.

club car is also built with an aluminum frame.  

PICT0118.jpg