A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Andrew, great trip report as always. I've been so busy it's taken me weeks to catch up. Glad you enjoyed AOA. For $70 bucks how could you not. I guess our biggest complaint was the one bus stop. That was our first time at a value resort so we were shocked with the walking. Port Orleans is the ticket with numerous bus stops. We have bad, bad luck with trans. Our past three trips, more with the boats. I think as you do, a lot has to do with the driver.

Also glad I'm not the only one who commented on the tightness of the leg bars on the mine train. I was really surprised since Disney is good about accommodating most all size people and disabilities. Busch gardens us a whole other story. Your such a great dad and as I said before I hope I have the same relationship with my kids through the years as you have. Looking forward to more great stuff.

We're exactly two weeks out, as well! No Fort this time, though (well, maybe a visit for dinner). We'll be at Saratoga Springs. TCD - you got some great parade pictures. I hope to see this parade when we head back.

We'll be neighbors!  We are staying at OKW.  Maybe we'll run into y'all!

Edited to add - Just made it through the last installment.  Love Grandma.  Looks like the start of a great trip, even with all that driving and the ill-fated buzzard.

What a variety of sights all packed into one day.

Very true.  I had to cut out a couple of stops, too, as it was a hot day, and Grandma wanted to get to the house.

I love the drive to Key West, especially the part from Miami south.  The attractions get stranger along the way.

What an interesting day you had!

And you have a very generous MIL.

True on both counts.

I remember nothing from the Tamiami Trail during our family's late 70's trip except we were on it.  Route 66 FL style.  Might have to plan something before it rots away....

Love the "Do Not Remove Tarpon From Water' sign.  Amazing what needs to be said these days.

Is that real money hanging from the bar roof?  That would be gone up here before you could say 'Jersey Sucks'.

Sweet rental house.

I think that "Do Not Remove Tarpon From Water" sign was prompted by some idiot who shoved his fist down a Tarpon's throat and pulled it out of the water with his hand through one of its gills.  I remember seeing video from that on the news.  A tarpon expert said the fish would not survive that.  Idiot.  That's not all that changed.  I distinctly remember that they used to say they would give anyone who accidentally fell into the water a free t-shirt.  The first time we went, I told the girls I was going to "accidentally" fall in.  That was before I saw how big the tarpon were-especially their mouths.  This time, Twin #1 dared me to fall in.  But, they weren't advertising the free t-shirts anymore.  Not that I would have done it anyway.

Yes, that's real money hanging from the bar.  That is a thing in dive bars in Florida.  Allegedly, they take the money down periodically and donate it to charity.  And by charity, I think they mean the owner of the bar.  I have been to many bars where this is done.  I guess it's not a thing at the Jersey Shore?

That rental house was sweet.  I wasn't sure about the location at first, but we ended up really liking it.

My apologies, TCD - I figured you had been to Action Park back in the day or had at least heard of it from your time in NJ. It was nuts.

Can't wait to see more of the Key West Trip!

I have heard of Action Park, but it was after I had moved to Florida that I first heard about it. 

If you want more Key West, I have more Key West.

I like Islamorada.  Nice job on the tarpon feeding. 

I haven't been on Tamiami trail in a LONG time.  You know, you could take US 41 up to visit me....it goes through Nashville.  It actually goes all the way up to the UP of Michican I think.  Long road.  You took the butt end of it. 

I like Islamorada too.  The next time we travel to the keys, I want to spend at least a night there.

I didn't know US 41 existed outside of Florida.  I am about to mention US 1, which has its southern terminus in Key West at the famous Mile Marker Zero.  According to what we heard on our narrated Conch Train tour, US 1 extends all the way to Maine.

Is it called the Tamaimi Trail because from the Keys, that is the road you take "ta Miami"?

Looking forward to more Key West pics.

LOL.  No, the Tamiami trail doesn't go south of Miami.  The name refers to the fact that it was the primary road between Tampa and Miami back when roads were first created in Florida.

I'm glad that you're looking forward to more Key West pics, because I have them.

I have never been to Key West. Looking forward to more of your report.

This was only my third visit to Key West, even though I've lived in Florida for 35 years now. It's not a convenient or cheap place to visit.

Yup! We're excited about our own bathroom and air conditioning!

Don't forget towels at the pool and free ice machines! 

Oh, and a TV with cable where the channels match the on-screen guide. 

And Wi-Fi!

And maid service!

Nice rental house!

Love the Tarpon feeding. Looks like fun.

I saw a statue of the RC Panther in one of your photos.

Big RC fans there I guess.

Did you have any secret meetings with Fidel and Raul in the Hemingway house?

Yes, the rental house was nice.

You're right- that is the RC panther.  Or maybe his cousin.

I didn't see Fidel or Raul.  I tried to see Cuba from the southernmost point, but I needed binoculars, which I didn't have.

TCD

I think a meeting with Fidel these days would be like Weekend at Bernies.  

LOL.  Which makes me think- has there been a Fidel sighting lately?

Are you saying the pics wouldn't be funny though?

Those pics would definitely be funny.

I love Weekend at Bernies!

Not a fan.  There are funny parts, but it would have been better as an SNL skit or something like that.  Not a whole movie.

Andrew, great trip report as always. I've been so busy it's taken me weeks to catch up. Glad you enjoyed AOA. For $70 bucks how could you not. I guess our biggest complaint was the one bus stop. That was our first time at a value resort so we were shocked with the walking. Port Orleans is the ticket with numerous bus stops. We have bad, bad luck with trans. Our past three trips, more with the boats. I think as you do, a lot has to do with the driver.

Also glad I'm not the only one who commented on the tightness of the leg bars on the mine train. I was really surprised since Disney is good about accommodating most all size people and disabilities. Busch gardens us a whole other story. Your such a great dad and as I said before I hope I have the same relationship with my kids through the years as you have. Looking forward to more great stuff.

Thanks, Dave.  I am glad that you're caught up.  Now stay with it!

I ended up liking AOA.  For us, the long walks weren't that big of a deal.  I enjoyed the scenery.  If I had a couple of worn out kids to get to the room, though, it wouldn't be so magical.

Don't worry about being close with your kids- you're already well on your way.  It's not a big secret.  Spend time with them.  You're already doing that.

I've fed those Tarpon!

Looks like a great rental house. 

Did you really?  When?

That house was perfect for us.  It actually is broken in to three separate suites, which can be rented together or independently.  It had a pool and a washer and dryer too.  We got the whole house, which was great.  Everyone had space.  It would we a bit weird renting one of the suites and having strangers in the others, but I would still consider it for a future trip.

We'll be neighbors!  We are staying at OKW.  Maybe we'll run into y'all!

Edited to add - Just made it through the last installment.  Love Grandma.  Looks like the start of a great trip, even with all that driving and the ill-fated buzzard.

Grandma is awesome.

The buzzard incident was the only negative on this trip.  I haven't even taken the truck in for an estimate yet.  I don't want to know.

TCD

I didn't know US 41 existed outside of Florida.  I am about to mention US 1, which has its southern terminus in Key West at the famous Mile Marker Zero.  According to what we heard on our narrated Conch Train tour, US 1 extends all the way to Maine.

US 1 extends through Maine all the way to the Canadian border.  But even spanning that distance it is not the longest US Highway.  That distinction belongs to US 20, which extends 3,365 miles from Boston to the Pacific Ocean in Newport, OR.  I know this because I grew up along the road in Western NY.  If you've ever been to Yellowstone, you've likely driven on US 20 as it goes right through the park. 

US 1 extends through Maine all the way to the Canadian border.  But even spanning that distance it is not the longest US Highway.  That distinction belongs to US 20, which extends 3,365 miles from Boston to the Pacific Ocean in Newport, OR.  I know this because I grew up along the road in Western NY.  If you've ever been to Yellowstone, you've likely driven on US 20 as it goes right through the park. 

You are a wealth of useless information.

Kidding.

Thanks for that.  I think it would be cool to take a road trip along one of these old roads and stop at the sites of the old roadside attractions that still exist.  I would love to do something like that.

TCD

Time to get a move on.

We have arrived at our first morning in Key West.  Yesterday involved a long drive, and we were now ready for a nice, sunny day.

But we woke up to a heavy rain.

Not good.

This wasn't just some afternoon storm.  It looked like we were in for a rainy day.

No big deal. Go with the flow, etc.

Mrs. TCD had made her Paula Deen breakfast casserole the night before, and she cooked that up and we all had a nice breakfast.

One thing I dislike about traveling with a large group is that it takes forever to get everyone together to go somewhere.

Today, our plan was to take a Conch Train ride around the island and maybe have lunch at some place on Duval St., and then eat dinner back at the house.  Good, simple, plan.  Except for the rain.

But, after breakfast the rain stopped.  It was still cloudy, but it looked like it was worth taking a chance, so we headed to the train station.

These Conch Trains aren't really trains.  They are more like the parking lot trams you see in Disney World.  There's a big vehicle up front that tows a bunch of passenger cars behind.  You've likely seen such things in other major tourist destinations.  I know I have.  And, I usually avoid them because they're expensive, and probably a bit boring.  But, the Conch Train seemed like the perfect thing for Grandma, and there was a stop just a couple of blocks from our house, so we went.

Here we are at the Conch Train station.  There's a rooster there.  Chickens run wild in Key West.  Supposedly, they are protected by law, and you can get in big trouble if you bother one.  I'm not sure if that's true, but I remember hearing something along those lines every time we have visited:

61714030_zps841a4085.jpg

Mrs. TCD likes chickens.  Her dad always had a chicken coop, and Mrs. TCD can catch and hold a rooster or chicken like the best of them. She wanted a photo with the rooster, but he didn't cooperate:

61714034_zps150c54ec.jpg

This particular Conch Train stop was located at a small museum dedicated to the Overseas Rail Road.  That was build by Henry Flagler.  The Overseas Highway, which is what we drove on to get here yesterday, used some of the same bridges that Flagler had built to get his railroad to Key West.  It's an amazing thing he did if you think about it.  Nobody wanted to go in the museum, so we didn't.  But, here are two of the cousins at the photo op outside:

61714036_zpse641d712.jpg

Those two are brother and sister.  They are the children of Mrs. TCD's brother.  Their parents didn't make the trip, as their other son, the middle child in the family plays college golf and was in a golf tournament up in Charleston this week.  They are all great kids.

We also too a group shot here, but it wasn't on my camera.  I'll share it later if I get it.

Here's the Conch Train:

61714039_zpsab69eed1.jpg

We boarded and were off.  The driver narrates as you go.  I loved our driver.  He was an older man.  He tried telling jokes, and when he would tell one, he would ring the bell that he had up front.  "Ring the Bell!" became a catch phrase that we used for the rest of the trip when someone told a joke and nobody laughed.

Let me mention something here about Key West.  Americans seem to have a fascination with it.  Romanticized versions of Key West style have found their way into many places, especially in Florida.  At WDW, there is a whole Key West Resort, which is clean and beautiful.  In Sea World, they have a Key West section, also clean and fun.  Real Key West isn't like that.  Yes, there are some very cool looking homes, but the place overall is kind of dirty and crowded.  And they don't have very nice beaches.  It's not the island paradise that people who have never been might imagine.  I still like it, but the first time I visited, I was surprised that it wasn't at all what I expected.

One of the first places we saw on the tour was Duval Street:

61714041_zps8ab40a7d.jpg

Duval Street is the Key West version of Bourbon Street in New Orleans.  This is where all the action is.

We passed by this old house, which says it is the birthplace of Pan Am airlines.  According to our tour guide, it is now a restaurant owned by actress Kelly McGuiness:

61714043_zpscc27730b.jpg

We stopped at a street a block off of Duval to take on more passengers.  Look at how close that big oak is to the road, and see how it has been scraped by trucks:

61714044_zpseee62e7e.jpg

Hey, that lady over there is drinking out of a Pineapple.  I want:

61714045_zps1c887340.jpg

Total tourist move, though.  They don't grow pineapples in the Keys.

This is the Customs House.  I am not sure what goes on in there, I've never been:

61714046_zps5dce6230.jpg

If you look behind the Customs House in this next photo and the previous one, you can see that there's a big old cruise ship parked back there.  I can tell from the windows circling the smokestack in the first photo that this is a Royal Caribbean ship, but I don't know which one it is.  I wanted to go and see it later, but it left before we got back to this spot:

61714047_zpsf34ada4c.jpg

Here's the iconic Mile Marker Zero.  You see it on a lot of Key West souvenirs.  As you travel the Overseas Highway, you see those mile makers all the way to and from Miami.  This is where the road begins:

61714050_zps8c8e4e1a.jpg

Of course, our tour guide informed us that US 1 runs all the way from here to Maine.  That would make one heck of a road trip.

The Conch Train took us all over the island.  We went through residential areas, and up to the northern corner of this island, where we saw this memorial dedicated to Jose Marti:

61714051_zps8681c1bc.jpg

I don't know much about Cuban history, but Marti was a leader back at the time that Cuba established its independence from Spain.  He is revered by Cubans everywhere.  I know there's a statue of him in New York City's Central Park.  And, now I know there's this memorial in Key West.

We also passed the place that has the best coffee in Key West.  I meant to come back here to enjoy it and congratulate them, but I forgot where it was:

61714052_zpsecfc0a9b.jpg

Of course we passed the Southernmost Point.  The Conch Train doesn't stop there- it stops a few blocks away.  We will be back here on another day for photos:

61714055_zps5e0ca816.jpg

It's interesting to note that Key West is closer to Cuba than it is to Miami.

The US Navy still owns a lot of real estate on Key West, including this installation right next to the Southernmost point:

61714058_zpsbf7fb8dc.jpg

They even have a giant golf ball there, just like Epcot.  I have a photo of that to share later.

Here's the Key West lighthouse.  This holds a special place in the hearts of the TCD girls.  We climbed that thing when we visited about ten years ago, and I basically freaked out on the climb down.  I am kind of scared of heights, but none of them are.  They basically ran down the stairs, while I walked slow, hugging the walls.  They all got a good laugh out of that.  I vowed that I would climb it again this trip to show that I am fearless. The girls made Twin #1 promise to video it:

61714061_zps9ff8ca4d.jpg

Now we're back at Mile Marker Zero. This time, we are at the end of US 1.  Which, coincidentally is across the street from the beginning mile marker.  We kind of went in a big circle on our tour:

61714062_zps08f6db30.jpg

Our guide pointed out some interesting architecture as we traveled along.  This house is called an eyebrow house because the roof covers the upper floor windows:

61714063_zpscaaf2139.jpg

Look at that old Honda.  I had a high school friend who had a car like that.  Hondas have come a long way since then:

61714064_zps59dbe78b.jpg

I think this is an example of Bahamian architecture, which is distinct from Key West architecture. It has something to do with the porches:

61714065_zps9b0253e8.jpg

Now we're back on Duval Street.  To confirm that Key West is a major tourist destination, it has its own Ripley's Believe it or Not:

61714067_zpsaf092665.jpg

Being the sucker that I am, I did take the TCD girls in there when we last visited.  They didn't get my money this time, though.

The Conch Train was fun, but it was slow.  We decided to take a break for lunch when it stopped near Duval Street.  Amazingly, everyone agreed on a place for lunch, and we made our way up Duval to get there.

We passed Sloppy Joes, which may be the most famous bar in Key West.  Mrs. TCD and I had a blast here when we visited Key West on an adult-only trip:

61714069_zpsbd05512c.jpg

Here's my personal favorite hang-out, Irish Kevin's bar:

61714074_zps978031b1.jpg

This is the inside of Irish Kevin's.  It's kind of typical of how the bars along Duval Street look.  Nothing fancy:

61714075_zps4124e601.jpg

That Coyote Ugly over there was not here the last time we were.  There were girls dancing on the bar.  We never made it back to get a better look:

61714076_zpsdb160c71.jpg

That building there on the corner is kind of a landmark.  The story goes that nobody could afford to buy the building, so three separate guys went in, and each opened his own bar on one floor. The bottom floor is called the Bull, the second floor is the Whistle Stop, and the top floor is the Garden of Eden- the only clothing-optional bar on Key West.  We've never been:

61714077_zpsafa67910.jpg

The Hard Rock Café has been here a long time, and looks like fun, but I can and have visited the one at Universal Studios:

61714080_zps535f0ce6.jpg

This is the oldest non-Catholic church in the Keys.  It's open to the public, and the stained glass is supposed to be phenomenal.  I meant to go back, but didn't make it:

61714081_zpsc2fb02e0.jpg

Wendy's.  No thanks:

61714082_zps263a5448.jpg

At last, we arrived at our destination.  Margaritaville.  Note that the sign says Original Magaritaville:

61714083_zps8cf30b19.jpg

It was busy, and we had a big party, so we had a bit of a wait. The cousins all headed off to look at some of the stores, but Grandma was tired of walking and wanted to sit.  I told her to wait a minute, and popped my head in to see if there were any seats at the bar.  There were two.  I told Grandma to follow me.  Next up, I buy Grandma a drink.

TCD

Did you know that the Southernmost Point marker really isn't at the southernmost point?  And that the marker was moved from another position in 1997 or 1998?  And that position wasn't the real southernmost point either.  There's an interesting newspaper article about it here:  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19970914&id=zqZhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VY4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=1880,2818347

Did you see the cemetery?  That's a really interesting place to visit.

I'm not a huge fan of Key West, but it certainly is an interesting place to people watch. 

I remember riding the Conch Train back in the late 70's when my family camped on Marathon key.  Hasn't changed much. 

Also, I had a similar Honda Civic when I was at school in Gainesville, but mine was the ever popular wagon version.  No A/C either....which was fine in Buffalo but brutal in Gainesville in August. 

I'm not a fan of travelling with a large group either.

"Watch The Tram Car, Please"  let's see who gets that reference....

Good luck on the lighthouse climb.

You should have stepped into Coyote Ugly.  Sources tell me that Slave Leia was dancing that weekend.....

Did you know that the Southernmost Point marker really isn't at the southernmost point?  And that the marker was moved from another position in 1997 or 1998?  And that position wasn't the real southernmost point either.  There's an interesting newspaper article about it here:  http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1291&dat=19970914&id=zqZhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=VY4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=1880,2818347

Did you see the cemetery?  That's a really interesting place to visit.

Thanks for that link- I have always wondered about that marker. When you stand there, it's pretty obvious that the Navy Base, which you can see from there, extends further south.

By the way, the marker is still at the corner of Whitehead and South, which is where it was when that article was written in 1997.   It hasn't moved since.

Here's a map I marked up showing the where the marker is, with the Navy Base over to the west, and the White St. pier over to the east. Those are both south of the Southernmost Point marker:

keywestmap_zpsfba1f7d2.jpg

Did I see the cemetery?  Our house was right down the street from it.  I had to park the truck right across the street from it one night and walk several blocks back to the house,  In the dark.  All alone.  And the moon was full, and it was Friday the 13th.  Well, actually I think it may have been the 14th or 15th, but it sounded good.

I'm not a huge fan of Key West, but it certainly is an interesting place to people watch. 

I remember riding the Conch Train back in the late 70's when my family camped on Marathon key.  Hasn't changed much. 

Also, I had a similar Honda Civic when I was at school in Gainesville, but mine was the ever popular wagon version.  No A/C either....which was fine in Buffalo but brutal in Gainesville in August.

I can trade cars with no AC in Gainesville stories with you.  I had a VW Fastback with no AC.  And black vinyl seats.  My butt hurts just thinking about it.

I'm not a fan of travelling with a large group either.

Good luck on the lighthouse climb.

You should have stepped into Coyote Ugly.  Sources tell me that Slave Leia was dancing that weekend.....

Sorry, I don't get your tram reference.

If Slave Leia was dancing in there, since this is Key West,  there is a better than even chance that she was a dude. Those odds are too high for me.

TCD

Ah... The sounds of summer while visiting Wildwood !     I haven't heard it in awhile, but I have continued the tradition of playing " Wildwood Days" every year for the first time on Memorial Day.   Yes my family knows I'm nuts....

I fed the tarpon several years ago in the pre-Z years.

We keep saying we want to take the RV there, but gas is so darn expensive. And we'd want to dive or at least snorkel. Z isn't old enough yet, so we always go somewhere else. 

I've also been to that Margaritaville. I've boycotted all others too. 

Did you see any cats while you were there? As an English teacher, that was a "must do" for me. 

Ah... The sounds of summer while visiting Wildwood !     I haven't heard it in awhile, but I have continued the tradition of playing " Wildwood Days" every year for the first time on Memorial Day.   Yes my family knows I'm nuts....

:bellringer:

Catching up and loving the updates.

As a Florida native, I have always wanted to go to Key West.

I can pass on Miami, but there is a train museum there that Bart would love to visit.

We have talked about a road trip with a friend who grew up in Miami.

It is also helpful that he is Cuban and speaks the language!

There are so many interesting things to see and do in our state.

I visited Wildwood a few times, but I don't remember these trams.  What is "Wildwood Days?"  A song, I assume?

I fed the tarpon several years ago in the pre-Z years.

We keep saying we want to take the RV there, but gas is so darn expensive. And we'd want to dive or at least snorkel. Z isn't old enough yet, so we always go somewhere else. 

I've also been to that Margaritaville. I've boycotted all others too. 

Did you see any cats while you were there? As an English teacher, that was a "must do" for me. 

There are two great state park campgrounds in the Keys.  You know how to book those.  You will need to go when Z is older.

Why are you boycotting Margaritavilles?

Yes, we saw the cats.  Grandma wanted to go there, so we did.  I've got plenty of cat photos to share.

:bellringer:

Ring the bell!

Catching up and loving the updates.

As a Florida native, I have always wanted to go to Key West.

I can pass on Miami, but there is a train museum there that Bart would love to visit.

We have talked about a road trip with a friend who grew up in Miami.

It is also helpful that he is Cuban and speaks the language!

There are so many interesting things to see and do in our state.

Mrs. TCD is also a Florida native, and had never been to Key West until the two of us went back in 2001.  We flew there from Tampa.  The next time, I drove down with the girls, probably around 2003 or so.  It's surprising how many Florida residents have never been.  I guess it's because it's not easy or cheap to get there. And, honestly, there's nothing there that you can't see somewhere else in Florida.  Still, I like it, and I want to go again.  Since two of the TCD girls didn't make this trip, we've already discussed going back.  There's something that I was hoping to do on this trip that we didn't get to do.  So, we have a good reason to go back.

TCD

Alright, I am going to squeeze in one more update today, and then that is going to be it until Monday.

I was hoping that I could get this TR done before today, but there's just too much to tell.

So enjoy this, and I'll be back with you on Monday.  For the first time ever, I may have to start a new TR before I finish an existing one.  I think I'm going to have too much material to add it as bonus content on the end of this report.

We left off outside of Margaritaville.  As mentioned, I took Grandma in to the bar for a drink.  But, I have a few photos from outside to share, which some of you may like.

Like this one, for example, which I call "Who Wears Short Shorts?":

61714084_zpse9dd6e3f.jpg

I am reasonably certain that is a female.  But, on Key West, you never know.

Right across from us is an old theater that has been made into a Walgreens:

61714085_zps06255394.jpg

If you ever come here on a cruise, that would be a good place to buy beer, but there is a huge CVS much closer to the dock.

Here's a Conch Train going by:

61714086_zps0abc8cd3.jpg

Now we are inside Margaritaville.  You see that seating area up there?  That's where we will eventually end up:

61714087_zpseb24b783.jpg

For now, though, we are at the bar.  Grandma's drink is Early Times and Ginger Ale.  A lot of bars don't carry Early Times.  But Margaritaville did.  So, Grandma was happy.  I ordered one of Jimmy's beers:

61714088_zps368a256b.jpg

Twin #1 popped in to see us, and another stool opened up at the bar, so she joined us.  I tried to take a selfie, but you can imagine how that went.  Some guests across the bar offered to take the photo.  I could have done better than this:

magaritaville_zpsfe174aa3.jpg

We took a look at the menu, and Twin #1 suggested that we order some smoked fish spread.  Is that a thing outside of Florida?  It's a thing in beach bars around here. The menu:

61714090_zps77b32bbe.jpg

Do you see over there in the top right corner where they have a margarita that they serve in a souvenir cup shaped like a blender?  For $11!  You wouldn't believe how many people bought those.  What are you going to do with a cup shaped like a blender?

Our fish spread arrived, and it was very good:

61714089_zpsac79d49d.jpg

We enjoyed that and our drinks, and not too long after that, our buzzer went off, and we were seated on the second level looking down:

61714091_zps06525fad.jpg

I got the Cheeseburger in Paradise.  Loved it.

Look, who we saw on the way out- Peyton Manning- and he got one of those blender mugs.  Fools and their money:

61714092_zps56dcce5e.jpg

After lunch, we decided to walk down the Truman White House for a tour.  It was just a few blocks from us, and it was one of the places Grandma wanted to see.  I personally have always skipped it, thinking it would be boring. but I actually like museums, so we went.

We walked past this huge Banyon tree- look how the roots drop down from the branches- just like the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at WDW:

61714093_zps33ac03e2.jpg

61714094_zpsf7e60e7b.jpg

There's a huge cistern back there.  Our tourguide said it is full of margaritas.  Ring the bell.:

61714095_zps5ad7e25e.jpg

Here we are at the Little White House.  I had heard of Harry Truman's many visits to Key West, and that there was a house here called the Little White House, but that was about it.  This marker explains a bit more:

61714096_zpsb831d7b7.jpg

There were some displays inside the welcome area/gift shop which were interesting.  This poster prompted a lot of discussion among our group as to who our best presidents have been.  According to this poll, Truman was the 5th best president:

61714097_zps65875467.jpg

Truman has a lot of tough calls to make as president, as shown on this poster:

61714098_zpscffbecc7.jpg

Then we took a tour.  Photography was prohibited.  I think because they don't want anyone to see how basic the tour is.  Still, I enjoyed it.  It was neat to be in the same room that so many US Presidents have been.  Quite a few in addition to Truman have visited.  Our tourguide was great.  He was an older man, who claimed to be a Key West native, and to have met Truman when he was a boy. 

Today ended up being fun.  We ate dinner back at the house.  Afterward, some of us headed on foot down to Mallory Square, where they have the famous Key West sunset celebration every night.  We misjudged the time, though, and actually watched the sun set from a place on our way there:

61714099_zpsa911ceec.jpg

We headed down to Mallory Square anyway, and some of the street performers were still there.  Lots of fire, juggling, and animal abuse.  Also, that strange Navy ship that GDF had seen up near Destin a few weeks ago was docked here:

61714101_zps996e0b54.jpg

61714102_zps2617e720.jpg

As I said, some of the street performers were still around:

61714103_zps8f1af3bf.jpg

We heard several people mention that there was a guy at the end of the square who had a trained cat show which included cats jumping through hoops of fire.  That sounded good, so we went there.  Sadly, we missed the last performance, but we did see the guy and his cat cages and lighter fluid.  He said he'd be back tomorrow night.  We made note of that:

61714106_zpsface8a67.jpg

From here, we walked back.  We found a Quickee Mart type place near our house, and got some ice cream.  No Mickey Premium Bars, but what can you do?

That's the end of our second day.

Tomorrow, we're going snorkeling.

And I will be getting up early for a little walkabout.

But, remember, I won't be here to tell you about that until Monday. 

Sorry. Blame it on the new era.  Did you know that CM's get 50% off FW campsites?  50%!  Even on holiday weekends.

TCD

Today ended up being fun.  We ate dinner back at the house.  Afterward, some of us headed on foot down to Mallory Square, where they have the famous Key West sunset celebration every night.  We misjudged the time, though, and actually watched the sun set from a place on our way there:

I've never seen a decent sunset at Key West. Beginning to think it's a myth.

The first Margaritaville I visited was in Jamaica.  That was a wild and fun place.  After that, the locations in the States are boring.

I've never seen a decent sunset at Key West. Beginning to think it's a myth.

The first Margaritaville I visited was in Jamaica.  That was a wild and fun place.  After that, the locations in the States are boring.

I agree with you.  I live on the west coast of Florida.  I can drive 10 minutes and see the sun sink directly into the gulf any day I want.  At Mallory Square, the sun sets behind an island that sits off shore.  Not so great, in my opinion.

I've never been to a Margaritaville that I would call wild.  I've been to the ones in New Orleans, Panama City Beach, and Orlando, in addition to the one in Key West.  They're fun, but not all that special.  The Key West one has live music at night, which definitely ramps things up a bit.  What I'd really love to see if JB perform in one.  We just missed him at  PCB.

Nice house in Key West.

We visited for a day in 1994 when on a cruise.  It was about 60 degrees.  We need to go back someday when it's warm.

Have fun and take lots of pictures over this 4th weekend.  For 50% off, I think we'd ALL be there!

Yes, it's definitely more fun when it's warm and sunny.

TCD