A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Great pictures, higly entertaining commentary, as always.

One question.

In the picture where you show that the parade space you wanted is still in the shade, is that a CM sitting on the curb? 

Yes it is.

For whatever reason, it is verboten to sit in front of trash cans when a parade is coming.  Invariably, late arriving guests find those spots and park themselves, and then a CM has to come and chase them away.  For this parade, I noticed that they stationed CM's to stand if front of each trash can so guests wouldn't even try to sit there.  Then, when the parade started, they sat down so they wouldn't block the view of the guests.  So those CM's were getting paid to watch a parade.  What I don't get is why it's OK for a CM to sit there, but not a guest.

TCD

Stellar mullet.  Haven't seen one that good in years.

I initially thought that one of the Dads with the BAS (big a$$ stroller) was Ray.  I quickly dispelled the thought as there were no jorts.

Lovin' the Big Daddy Storm Trooper.

There's R2D2 and some alien woman- I think she's from one of the cartoons:

6814193_zps197df704.jpg

Hey look- the same front seat passenger as last time.  This guy has a solid gig here:

6814196_zpsded8f59a.jpg

That character is Asoka Tano (sp?) The blond in the car behind is the person who voices Asoka on the Clone wars. Can't remember her name do to working to many hours...brain fried. 

Stellar mullet.  Haven't seen one that good in years.

I initially thought that one of the Dads with the BAS (big a$$ stroller) was Ray.  I quickly dispelled the thought as there were no jorts.

Lovin' the Big Daddy Storm Trooper.

Stay tuned for the Ray photo.  As far as I can tell, Ray is a pathological liar.  I never saw his BAS or his jorts.  No wifebeater either.  Needless to say, I was very disappointed.

The back side of Sabine is better than the back side of water. 

Agreed.  But, let's be clear: she is no Slave Leia.

I can't keep up with this TR.

Your in the zone.

I just texted you the picture you requested.

Thanks, I got the photo.

I will use it at the appropriate time.

That character is Asoka Tano (sp?) The blond in the car behind is the person who voices Asoka on the Clone wars. Can't remember her name do to working to many hours...brain fried. 

That young lady is Ashley Eckstein.  As far as I can tell, she was at every Star Wars Weekend this year.  She apparently also had a recurring role on the old Disney Channel show "That's So Raven."  In other words, she's a pretty big deal.

6814204_zpsaa6ba3e0.jpg

OK, so we all know who R2D2 is wirelessly tethered to, but what about this droid?

Good question.

I wondered the same thing.

And I have an answer for you in the next update.

This is not the droid you are looking for. 

Nerd.

I have a nerd in training that is ready for kindergarten.

6A7AF38E-EF95-43A5-8464-0EE094CD75C5.jpg

That's awesome.

And, further evidence that Disney made a genius move buying the franchise.  For some reason, pre-school kids love Star Wars.  Just think how big the 501st is going to be when all of these young fans reach adulthood.

I knew someone would pick that up, but seriously, where's the robitics expert?

Don't worry.  You will soon see the robotics expert.

Looking forward to disheveled Mark Hamill pics.

Don't get your hopes up too high.  Somebody has been working on Mark.

Don't you love when you forgot to check who wrote a post, but then can tell who it is just be reading?

Awesome.

TCD

Let's get done with the parade and the disheveled Mark Hamill photo so we can move on.

After Sabine and Co, we had Ray Park.  He plays Darth Maul in the prequels:

6814207_zps100fd3c9.jpg

And look- there's an extra passenger in the front seat:

6814208_zps8f29d3e1.jpg

I am surprised the Ray Park is not African American, because they always seem to have an African American in the Darth Maul costume:

6814209_zps5248e818.jpg

Sand people:

6814211_zps2ef3745d.jpg

Extreme Sand Person close-up:

6814212_zpsa1b7bc35.jpg

Next up was Billy Dee Williams- usually he's the big deal when he visits, but not today:

6814214_zps42cae9ea.jpg

Boba Fett:

6814215_zps6d6ce9ea.jpg

And, finally, Mark Hamill:

6814220_zpsce74f875.jpg

I have seen quite a few recent photos of Mark which made him look pretty bad.  He actually didn't look too bad in person.

But, that raises a question.

Is this really him?

Please note that there is a front seat passenger.  In fact, "Mark" is pointing to her:

6814221_zps6ab1da45.jpg

Stay with me here.

If Disney is good at one thing, they are good at building robots.  You've seen the Captain Jack robot in the Pirates ride, right?

What if they built a Mark Hamill robot?

Who would be able to tell the difference?

Also-look how "Mark" is wearing a grey Magic Band.

Seems suspicious to me.

Anyway, we can now say we saw Mark Hamill.  Or a robot version of him at least.

If you thought that was the end of the parade, you're almost right,  But there's more.

More Storm Troopers, in case those earlier ones weren't enough for you:

6814222_zps02c0be89.jpg

Now I'm confused.  I thought we already saw Boba Fett, but now I think this is him:

6814224_zps65eb4e93.jpg

Greedo:

6814226_zps3a61e78e.jpg

Here comes that James Arnold Taylor guy.  He's always here too.  Seems like a nice guy, but he apparently could use a better agent:

6814227_zpsab6103a2.jpg

Well, lookie here- it's one of Disney finest.  The CM sitting in front of the trash can smells something bad.  And, Darth Vader.  That's quite a photo:

6814228_zps0807a227.jpg

I think Darth Vader smells it too:

6814229_zps9f4da685.jpg

It wasn't me.

Guess what?

More Storm Troopers:

6814230_zpsb13b9801.jpg

These are the last two.  I promise:

6814231_zps69bdbefb.jpg

The same group of manager-types follow the parade.  That guy in the jeans was here last time too.  He must be in charge:

6814232_zpscdb070d7.jpg

There were a bunch of CM's following the parade.  And, look who else, over there to the right:

6814234_zps47dc5559.jpg

Last time, the mom in the Slave Leia outfit followed me, today it's the girl nerd.

As I mentioned earlier, I had begun to think that the girl nerd had a screw loose.  What I saw next confirmed it.  She was pulling a little cart behind her with a cardboard box on it:

6814235_zps11d01c00.jpg

So What the Fort is that?

The dude in the plaid shorts tripped on it right after I took this photo.

So, what do you think is going on here?  Why does that girl nerd have a cardboard box on a cart?  And, what's in it?  And how did she get it into the park?  And where was it when she was running down Hollywood Blvd. earlier?

As much as I wanted those questions  answered, I couldn't stick around.

We had gotten a text from Twin #2 that she was done with work, and was on the way to Art of Animation to get us checked in, and that we should meet her there.

Perfect timing.

We left.

And, met Twin #2 in the lobby of the AOA resort.

She had lined up a Little Mermaid room for us for $70 for the night.

That's a good deal, considering that it's summer rate time.

We had never stayed at the AOA resort.

So, we wanted to see our room.

We went there first:

6814236_zpsfb226c35.jpg

It's your basic Disney Value resort room with a mermaid theme.

The bathroom area:

6814238_zps00147fb4.jpg

The bathroom area with the privacy curtain pulled:

6814240_zps02703dc3.jpg

The shower area- I bought Twin #2 that very same shower curtain last year.  It's currently hanging in her Disney apartment:

6814242_zps2bb1d630.jpg

Some cheap theming:

6814244_zps0312e957.jpg

The room comes with a decent TV, and good Air Conditioning, and a fridge:

6814245_zps0d948f83.jpg

And, it is costing us less than it would to camp at the Fort.

What's not to like?

Well, for one thing, we were on the far fringes of the resort.  But, I wouldn't expect us to give us the best location at the discounted price.  We were on the fourth floor too.  With a parking lot view.  But, it got the job done.

This is the view of the Ariel pool from the 4th floor, near the elevators:

6814246_zps19f36dc7.jpg

That's a pretty nice pool.  And it's right there for these rooms to use.

And, we had a giant Ariel too:

6814247_zpsd4120860.jpg

The plan for now was to walk back to the main building and have some lunch, and then hit the big Nemo pool.

And, that's exactly what we did.  We all had the build your own pasta.  And then we headed out to the pool:

6814248_zps9d428978.jpg

I've heard that this is the largest pool on property.  And I believe it.  I love that they have a bar right here too:

6814249_zps2cb4c22a.jpg

Ever since this resort opened, I wanted to hear the underwater music they play in the pool.

Well, I got to hear it.

It sounds just like you would think music played underwater would sound.

Now I know.

It was a hot day, and that pool was nice.

We hung out there for about a half hour.

And then we headed back to the room.

The plan now was to shower, get dressed, and chill for a bit.

We had FP+ reservations lined up at the MK, and Twin #2 had miraculously scored us some dinner reservations at a place we've only been to once before for dinner.

Oh, and there was a chance we would meet-up with some Fiends at the MK too.

We'll be doing all that in the next update.

TCD

Mark Hamill looks better than the pictures online because Disney's best trainers have been working with him, per orders of JJ Abrams. 

I think you're right.  They've probably dried him out, and got him exercising and eating right.  He's not an old man.  Hopefully, being involved in this new episode will get him going on a better path in life.

I saw AoA for the first time during WWW and couldn't believe how large it is.  How long did it take to get to the main building from your room?  Or to a bus stop (hope they have several)?

Good question.

I actually was whining about how far we had to walk from our room, until the twins told me to knock it off.  They thought the walk from the Mermaid rooms was no worse than the walk from the 90's rooms at Pop to the lobby.

This is a map of the resort- the Mermaid rooms at AOA are at the top left.  The 90's rooms at Pop are at the bottom right.  I think the walk from the Mermaid rooms is longer, but not by much:

aoa_zps5e7c7394.jpg

For further comparison, I actually measured the distance.  The walk from the building we were in to the lobby ended up being approximately 1/3 of a mile.  That's the same distance as it is from the entrance to the 700 loop/exit of the 600 loop to the boat launch at the Fort.  Kind of a long walk.  But doable.

And there are not multiple bus stops in this resort.  Just one set of stops outside the main lobby building.  We have it much better at the Fort.

Mark looks good. I bet he's working out a ton. And maybe drinking less?

Curious where you're going to dinner...

I'm sure they've got him drinking a lot less, and living a healthier lifestyle.  Whatever they're doing, it seems to be working.

I think we will be making it to dinner in the next update.

TCD

I actually was whining about how far we had to walk from our room, until the twins told me to knock it off.  

I would have been whining too!

For further comparison, I actually measured the distance.  The walk from the building we were in to the lobby ended up being approximately 1/3 of a mile.  That's the same distance as it is from the entrance to the 700 loop/exit of the 600 loop to the boat launch at the Fort.  Kind of a long walk.  But doable.

Do you think they'd let me use my golf cart at AoA?   :rofl3: 

And there are not multiple bus stops in this resort.  Just one set of stops outside the main lobby building.  We have it much better at the Fort.

Yes, we do!

I have a few more photos from the Big Blue (Nemo) Pool, and my walk back to the Mermaid section.

It seems that all Disney resorts have the same level of kids' activities.  The Fort used to have an edge on this, but not anymore:

6814250_zpsc25910f0.jpg

The poor AOA guests don't get a sing-a-long or to meet Chip and Dale, but they do get a place to watch the movie in the event of inclement weather.  At the Fort, they just cancel the movie:

6814251_zps8d28909d.jpg

Honestly, the thought of watching a movie poolside sounds more appealing to me in the summer than sitting on those metal bleachers getting bit by mosquitoes at the Fort.  I must be getting soft.

Now, we're going to walk back to our room.

First we pass the Nemo buildings.  I like the seagulls they have on the side of this one.  Yes, they do screech out "mine!":

6814252_zpsf87ddc46.jpg

Next we walk through Africa:

6814253_zpse74c692b.jpg

6814254_zpsea1070d5.jpg

Here's one more look at Simba and friends with a man walking beneath them for perspective:

6814256_zps58707263.jpg

The mermaid section has plenty of props too:

6814257_zps946a52cb.jpg

It was about 3:30 by the time we got back to the room.  We were all going to shower and change and try to be back on our way by 5.  We just about made it.

We heard some bad thunder starting at about 4:45 or so, and debated whether we should wait and let the storm pass, or go for it, and hope that it passed as we traveled to the MK.

We ended up waiting for just a bit, and then headed out a little after 5.

I took this photo at 5:14 as we waited for the elevator.  It looks like they shut the pool down when it thundered and that everyone just scattered:

6814258_zpse5b4d5f7.jpg

I took this photo at 5:24, so it only took us 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop.  You see those umbrellas?  It was raining a bit.  And, this is where we learned that the MK bus stop at the AOA resort is the only one that doesn't have a covered waiting area.  How stupid is that?

6814259_zpsf8a25f32.jpg

It seemed like it took forever for the bus to come, but my camera says this photo was taken at 5:31, so I guess it wasn't as long as it seemed.  But, it was starting to rain more.  And the driver announced that he had to unload two scooters before he could let us on.  Of course, he took his sweet time, but eventually he started boarding.  Unfortunately for us this driver was either a doofus or just lazy, or a little of both, but he made very little effort to have folks move toward the back of the bus.  He could have fit way more people on, but he made no effort.  He didn't seem to care that those of us not on the bus were now standing in the rain.  Well, sure enough, when it was finally our turn to board, the bus driver asked how many were in our party. We said three.  All he had to do was ask everyone on the bus to move back a bit, and he could have easily gotten us and the next party on, but he didn't.  He just said sorry, we would have to wait for the next bus.

6814262_zps0a8e19e0.jpg

I couldn't believe it.  I always brag about all the pixie dust we get with the buses, and here we were literally getting the door slammed in our faces.

Oh well, that's how it goes.

Everything always evens out in life, doesn't it?

Not only did we miss the bus, but we were now out in the open, first in line for the next bus, but the rain really started to come down now.  I broke out a poncho, and sent the girls undercover to wait for the next bus.  I put my camera away because I didn't want it to get wet. So, I can't tell you how long it took the next bus to come.  But, it took forever.   it did finally come, and we did get on.  And we made it to the MK.  it doesn't seem like such a big deal now, but I was kind of ticked.  Plus, we missed the FP+ return times for the girls to meet Anna and Elsa.  That was not good.  They weren't happy about that.  If that stupid bus driver had let us on the bus, we would have made it no problem.

So, I went in to guest services and registered a complaint, and asked the CM there if there was anything she could do.  Turns out there was.  She gave us a new A & E return time.  In fact, she said that we could use it any time that night.  So, taking the time to complain was worth it.

The rain had pretty much let up by now.  That was good, because the next FP+'s we had were for the Mine Train.  Twin #1 had still never ridden it, and I had only ridden it once.  So this was a big deal.

We made it to the FP+ return, only to find guests coming out the wrong way:

6814263_zpsd4331d2a.jpg

This was not good.

The CM at the front said the ride was temporarily closed. He didn't say why.  I asked about our FP+'s. He said they would be honored any time later today.  Oh well, what could we do?

It was starting to rain again.  We decided to head over to the Haunted Mansion since the stand-by line is covered, and maybe the storm would pass while we were inside.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was running:

6814266_zps25c230b3.jpg

The stand-by line moved quick, and we skipped ahead of all the people in the stretching room by knowing where to stand, so we got in and out of the Haunted Mansion pretty quickly.

Then I got a text.

From Ray.

The Fiend.

He said he and his family were at the MK about to meet-up with fellow Fiend YensidCamper and family over by the carousel.  I suggested to the girls that they go and meet Anna and Elsa now, and I would meet up with the Fiends.

So, that's what we did.

Here's Ray on the left, me in the middle, and YensidCamper (Eric) on the right.  (photo credit to Ray's wife):

fiendgroup_zps18dd10f6.jpg

I also got to meet Ray's wife and daughter and Eric's wife and sons.  What a great group.  We chatted for a while, and then it started to rain some more, so we ducked in to the gift shop there and talked some more as we waited for the rain to stop.  It was a nice visit.  What a great group of folks.  The twins finally popped in and got to meet everyone too.

While I was meeting the Fiends, the girls met Anna and Elsa:

frozen_zpse5d4a004.jpg

I had to cut the visiting short since we had to get to dinner.

I don't know how she did it, but Twin #2 had somehow been able to snag us a BOG dinner reservation just the day before.

We have only eaten dinner at BOG once.  And that was during the passholder preview before the restaurant was officially open.

But now we were going back.

The twins' birthday was in May. Twin #1 was in Europe at the time, and Twin #2 was working at Disney. We did have a cake and gifts at home right after Twin #1 returned, but the girls hadn't gotten to go out to dinner to celebrate together.  So, I said this could count as their birthday dinner.

So here we go.

The sky over the Mine Train didn't look so good, and the ride was still not running as we headed in:

6814270_zps5e1de9d1.jpg

One thing new tonight was that they had us carry a candle to the table:

candle_zps1c223ac1.jpg

We got seated in the main ballroom, right next to one of the windows with the snow outside.  That's where we always sit at lunch. and exactly where I would have chosen to sit if they had asked:

6814271_zpsc7cc256a.jpg

Attention to detail:

6814272_zps6dbb31f9.jpg

napkin_zpsdec801c7.jpg

Here's something new that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before- the beer list has been expanded to include six beers:

6814275_zps6dc7e600.jpg

So, we need a new name for the Grande Slam.  And a designated driver.

I got the Krounenberg 1664.  Twin #1 said that was considered low class in France.  Maybe like Old Milwaukee here in the states.  So, now I'm getting beer tips from my daughters?  I'm officially old.

I knew exactly what I wanted for dinner tonight.  I got the seafood in the puff pastry:

6814276_zpsf68f03b7.jpg

Twin #1 got the pork chop:

6814277_zps0ad74274.jpg

And Twin #2 got the steak:

6814278_zps1ea3ec0c.jpg

The food was great.

Since we were celebrating the girls' birthday, we ordered the grey stuff to share. This used to be an entirely different presentation.  Now, it's on top of a piece of dried up cake- like a biscotti:

greystuff_zps0bc5ccf0.jpg

The girls got a card from Belle and the Beast:

bogcard_zps77888000.jpg

And we got to meet the Beast too:

beastcharacter_zpsf1505737.jpg

beastgroup_zps237e5dbc.jpg

One last birthday dinner photo:

stainedglass_zpsd4fbb77c.jpg

After dinner, we were able to successfully ride the Mine Train.  Then Space Mountain:

6814279_zps831ee6c4.jpg

You might notice that Twin #1 had changed clothes- she brought a change of clothes with her because she didn't want to be in a dress all night.  Twin #2 wished that she had thought of that.

It was EMH's that night at the MK, and we planned to stay for them.

But, then we all started feeling tired.  We had all had a long day.  Remember how Twin #1 and I were at DHS before 7 am?  We had left home at 5-ish to get there.  And Twin #2 had worked the early shift- beginning at 4:30.

So, we decided to call it a night.

We headed out around 11.

This is the last photo I have from that night- taken on the bus on the ride back to AOA:

6814280_zpsf9e5d7ea.jpg

I had just heard about this earlier that day via an announcement made at SWW.

Does anyone know when it's going to be shown?

We made it back to the resort and were in bed by midnight.

Early for us.

We didn't have definite plans for the morning, but Twin #2 had mentioned something that I was considering.

We will pick it up from Monday morning in the next update.

TCD

A transportation problem during a TCD trip??  What is this world coming to?

Sucks about the rain and Mine Train being down.  Made up for it with a Fiend meet and greet.

I knew it was going to be BOG for dinner.  Score.  That seafood/pastry dish looks deee-lish!

Your walk did look long. That one reason I didn't like POP when we stayed there back in 05 was all the walking.(wow I can't believe it's been that long)

And yes it's time for my girl to start school. Not sure how I feel about that but it's part of life. I look at how much your girls have grown from the first time I read one of your reports at the other place around 7 years ago. So I know time flys and she will be asking for the keys to my truck before long. I can already hear her reasoning "Dad you have a company truck so your truck just sits all day let me take it to school and it will be home before you". Not looking foward to that conversation.