A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

Updates aplenty today!

Love all the Fort pics as usual.

The gate across the dam SMB.

I want a cinnamon roll.

Glad that you like the Fort photos- I have a whole update's worth to share next.

I can't help you with the cinnamon roll. sorry.

And only two months until I round up all the toddlers to go "swim" in the abomination's lazy river.

Awesome.

Also, I need to get going on the signs I'm going to post at the Meadow Pool.  How do you say "This Way to the Lazy River" in Spanish?

Is it possible they were all at MK for the 24 hour event and had their rigs in the MK parking lot?

Save a day's rent, arrive the next morning and catch some winks in the Outpost parking lot till the site is ready?

Don't forget the TP.  Oh, wrong thread.

I didn't think of that.  My guess was that for whatever reason, a lot of folks chose to arrive on Saturday.  I was there for Memorial Day weekend last year, and I don't remember there being so many empty sites on Friday.

Braised pork is yum! Glad you had a good time in the Keys - welcome back!

Thanks.

We really did enjoy the Keys.  Be sure to stick around for the bonus Keys content.

I was looking online at BOG's menu this morning and saw the braised pork and thought of you, TCD.  I might just have to try it if oldest daughter gets her wish to take us to lunch there when we visit this fall.   :)

I am flattered that a pork dish made you think of me.

I hope that you are able to enjoy lunch at BOG.  Be sure to look for a FP+ for lunch- it doesn't count as one of your three.

Finally caught up.

Too much to comment on.

I hope y'all had a great time in key west.

I bet it was a interesting trip.

Key West is always interesting.  Because of the big event that was in town for the weekend, this trip was even more interesting.  We enjoyed quite the parade on Sunday.  And yes, I have pics.

You must be worn out from your trip.  I hope you're not too worn out to start your TR.

So here are some of my favs from #eviliscomplicated on Instagram

http://instagram.com/p/pMRppkGJSr/

http://instagram.com/p/o9i01th2-Q/

Notice where this location is...

http://instagram.com/p/o47Zxxj8Gk/

Uh?

http://instagram.com/p/o4bfqoOO4Q/

Very Good!

You probably saved me hours of looking through pictures.  Although, with those you shared, I think I at least will need to take a quick look myself.

TCD

Moving on . . .

We left off at the Theater Under the Stars. 

Now, we have walked around it, and we're looking across the Fishin' hole toward the 600 loop.  As you can see, there are several folks fishing over there on the other side:

52314248_zps191fa271.jpg

Now we have arrived at the place I wanted to check.  Here are the rental canoes:

52314249_zps37ee8ba6.jpg

And the rental kayaks:

52314250_zps4db55431.jpg

Over here, we have a kayak paddle and a couple of canoe paddles:

52314251_zps806e971e.jpg

And here is the price list for the rentals, as of May 23, 2014:

52314253_zpsc68c789c.jpg

I stopped by here just to be sure that nothing had changed since I was last by here in March.  There was a thread on another board back in April where some self-proclaimed Fort Wilderness experts insisted that you can't rent a kayak at the Fort.

I knew that you used to be able to, and that the kayaks were still there in March, but you never know.

No surprise-just more bad information from a bad site operated by a bunch of miserable hypocrites. 

The kayaks are right where they have always been.

Nothing new to see here.

Let's move on then.

These folks standing here fishing know how to kick off a Memorial Day weekend right:

52314254_zpsedf97844.jpg

Uh-oh.  Looks like there may be some unauthorized people on Bob's dock.  I will need to head over there to check:

52314255_zpsdd6b63a4.jpg

But first, I needed to check on the pool.  It's the beginning of Memorial Day weekend.  I wonder how busy it is?

52314256_zps5cc639e7.jpg

Feels crowded:

52314257_zps03494a3f.jpg

52314258_zpsf387c5f9.jpg

Actually, that's a pretty light crowd considering that this is the first afternoon of a holiday weekend.  I'll bet the pool was jammed full the next day when the freeloaders showed up.

I remember that Devores shared the news a while back that the Southern Smothered Hot Dog has a new name and that you can now get a hot dog topped with macaroni and cheese here too:

52314259_zps86cdb734.jpg

Talk about your limited time magic:

52314260_zpsc9c79cf3.jpg

Now we're crossing the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post, looking out over the canal-that's the 1300 loop on the right- and I saw a few empty sites over there from here:

52314262_zpsb0f195e6.jpg

There was a lot of noise coming from the pool over there on the other side of the canal:

52314263_zps9bf6c497.jpg

That big sycamore tree behind the Meadow Trading Post was full of leaves now.  The last time I was here, the leaves were just starting to sprout:

52314264_zps40ced8ae.jpg

There's another sycamore over there by Bob's dock.  It also is in summer form:

52314265_zps96d1c204.jpg

Whoa.  Look at all those folks on Bob's dock:

52314266_zpsde5d6d6b.jpg

I told them all the GTFO (Get The Fort Off), and they did.

I always love the view of the Bike Barn from here:

52314267_zpsf4867215.jpg

Since I was here, I made sure to check on the Meadow Trading Post checkerboard, as Anna will need to use it to beat DIT come November.  Thankfully, it is still here:

52314269_zps76310420.jpg

It seems like there is less Fort merchandise on display- for one thing, the book department, which used to be on the other side, had been moved over here so they could set up a huge Magic Bands display:

52314270_zps9d2d9839.jpg

I think all the same t-shirts are here:

52314271_zps60bea090.jpg

I think this one may be new- I don't remember it:

52314272_zps0da2f640.jpg

That Pacific Lakeside Campground t-shirt is still here.  I should count them to see if anyone has ever bought one.  I still don't understand what these have to do with Disney:

52314273_zps6e7d2101.jpg

I would seriously buy one of these shirts if they sold them in adult sizes:

52314274_zps059c340b.jpg

That's all I have to report on Fort merchandise.

Now, here's a sight for sore eyes:

52314275_zpse85953e8.jpg

Of course I had to set a spell.  Meadow Trading Post Front Porch Rocking Chair POV shots:

52314276_zps8b96ad03.jpg

52314277_zps688fcb89.jpg

Darn- I probably should have caught that bus.  Oh well:

52314278_zps35d874d3.jpg

After a bit, I headed over to the bus stop to catch the next bus:

52314279_zps56a936b7.jpg

A look back at the Meadow Trading Post from here- you can barely see it behind all the trees and bushes:

52314280_zps81b4e027.jpg

I had to wait here for a bit.

But the bus eventually came and brought me to the Settlement.

Where I took yet more photos.

Which you will see in the next update.

TCD

TCD,

Good to see you back in action. I was a bit concerned about the hippy hijack. Fortunately, like hippies themselves, it fizzled and lost enthusiasm.

Interesting that you noted the many open lots at the Fort. The thesis on it being due to an extended MK day/saving a nights rent in the overflow could have some merit. But in the back of my mind, I always wonder at what point, the Forts draconian pricing and weak management will have a material impact on supply / demand.

Also, can I infer from the caption that the bird ate the croc and took his spot in the canal. That is one bad a@@ bird.

Its good that Anna's checkerboard is still there.

The view from the porch is as good as ever. I am going to go back and watch your porch video.

Two things about the meadow snack bar:

1. Does anybody spend $6-$7 on beer when they can just bring one from their site?

2. Why does the snack bar close at 5? I have been there after 5 several times and wanted to try a southern smothered whatever they call it now and its closed. Dumb. I am sure they aren't as good as the Big Kahuna's Gettysburg delicacies anyway.

Why does the snack bar close at 5? I have been there after 5 several times and wanted to try a southern smothered whatever they call it now and its closed. Dumb. I am sure they aren't as good as the Big Kahuna's Gettysburg delicacies anyway.

Duh.  The CMs have to be out and over to the MK in time to make the dough for the MSB Cinnamon Rolls.......

Hey TCD?  How about a quick update on Twin2 and the CP.

I think that white shirt is new. And it's see thru like many female shirts these days. Too bad. 

I'm hoping to get Z that Chip n Dale shirt in April. They didn't have his size in January. 

It's crazy that the snack bar at the pool doesn't have extended hours in warmer months. They'd certainly make more money. 

TCD,

Good to see you back in action. I was a bit concerned about the hippy hijack. Fortunately, like hippies themselves, it fizzled and lost enthusiasm.

Interesting that you noted the many open lots at the Fort. The thesis on it being due to an extended MK day/saving a nights rent in the overflow could have some merit. But in the back of my mind, I always wonder at what point, the Forts draconian pricing and weak management will have a material impact on supply / demand.

Also, can I infer from the caption that the bird ate the croc and took his spot in the canal. That is one bad a@@ bird.

There were reports from others that the Fort was full over the Memorial Day weekend.  So, I guess everyone showed up on Saturday.  I wonder myself if that was the result of some kind of manipulation of the reservation system by the idiots who run the place.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the bird who got the gator.  They probably trapped it and relocated it.

Its good that Anna's checkerboard is still there.

The view from the porch is as good as ever. I am going to go back and watch your porch video.

Two things about the meadow snack bar:

1. Does anybody spend $6-$7 on beer when they can just bring one from their site?

2. Why does the snack bar close at 5? I have been there after 5 several times and wanted to try a southern smothered whatever they call it now and its closed. Dumb. I am sure they aren't as good as the Big Kahuna's Gettysburg delicacies anyway.

That's a good point about the beers at the pool- I know I've never bought one there.

I don't know why they shut down the snack bar that early.  Other than the place is managed by a bunch of idiots.  So, I'll go with that.  Final answer.

Duh.  The CMs have to be out and over to the MK in time to make the dough for the MSB Cinnamon Rolls.......

Hey TCD?  How about a quick update on Twin2 and the CP.

Man, we are getting a full-on MSBCR onslaught today.

Thanks for asking about Twin #2.  It's hard to believe it, but she's already been there a month.  She loves it.  But, they're working her to death.  She seems to have little time off.  The time she has off, she's in the parks.  It ends up that the place she was assigned has very few college program kids assigned to work there.  She is working mostly with young people who already have their college degrees and are on track to be managers.  I see that as a good thing, as it is where she has thought she wants to go after she has her degree.  She will get to see if it's what she really wants to do. As it turns out, Twin #1 and I will be spending some time with her tomorrow, and I have yet to report on a quick trip we made to see her after Twin #1 returned from Europe.   Bottom line-so far, so good.

Bunches of updates!  Yay!  Love all the Fort pics.  Love the scenic trashcan.  Glad you weren't "Left Behind" in a Fort rapture!

Looking forward to more!

I'm pushing because I have a long way to go, and still more visits on the horizon.

This is going to be a long report.

I think that white shirt is new. And it's see thru like many female shirts these days. Too bad. 

I'm hoping to get Z that Chip n Dale shirt in April. They didn't have his size in January. 

It's crazy that the snack bar at the pool doesn't have extended hours in warmer months. They'd certainly make more money. 

Yeah, and the neckline on that shirt is very plunging.  I'm not sure how many women would be able to wear it.

I really hope Z gets that shirt.  So far, there are plenty there.  I'll alert you if they seem to not be restocking.

There are a lot of changes they could make at the Meadow Snack Bar to make more money.  They don't seem to care about that.  Crazy.

TCD

You know what?

I have a lot of Fort photos from my brief visit to the Fort.

But, I'm not going to apologize.  This site is for Fort Fiends, so you have to like them.

I thought this update would end with us getting back to the MK-which we will eventually, I promise- but, we aren't heading there just yet.

First, I have one more photo I took while waiting for the bus.  It shows the side of the Meadow Trading Post, and I like it because if you look carefully near the center, you can see clear across to the beach on the other side of the Fishin' Hole and see the kayaks lying there:

52314281_zpseb0ac89a.jpg

The bus finally came, and deposited me back at the Settlement.  Twin #2 was on her way, but I still had a bit of time, so I may as well check on the calliope, right?  They're forever messing with it, so you never know if it's going to be there or not.

Here we go, to good old TCD Farm:

52314282_zps3cc88c91.jpg

52314283_zps984add11.jpg

There are plans to bulldoze everything you saw in those last two photos along with this big field to make a giant parking lot for a proposed DVC resort here.  Isn't that crazy?:

52314285_zps6f819aeb.jpg

These trips are all starting to run together for me, but it had just been a week earlier that I stopped by the old windmill to smell the confederate jasmine.  At the time, I thought that would be my last time enjoying that this year.  Well, I am happy that I was wrong about that:

52314286_zps2358f768.jpg

52314287_zpsf6df5207.jpg

I love this stuff, and I'm glad that I got to see it again.  I'm sure it's all gone now:

52314288_zps0fce104e.jpg

It's amazing that they keep the water fountains here and at the old River Country entrance running, but they do.  That water is still nice and cold.  It's not bad if you can handle a little sulfur.

52314289_zpsadf71314.jpg

Here's a very small detail that you probably don't know- do you see the sign on the old River Country bus stop that says Vineland Station?:

52314290_zps56729287.jpg

Why is there a Vineland Station sign on that bus stop?

Because the crew that was supposed to clean up the props after the last Haunted Carriage Ride over two years ago forgot to pack it up.

Oops.

I think this is the new Clydesdale we heard about:

52314291_zps1146c5bc.jpg

The calliope is present.  But note how they have it on casters for easy removal:

52314292_zps5c60d92e.jpg

I like this sign:

52314293_zps6ff60325.jpg

The guys who are working on the touch-up of Pioneer Hall weren't working late today- their little walled-off area was closed and locked:

52314294_zps9a8861a8.jpg

But someone left the gate behind the stage at the Backyard BBQ open:

52314295_zps8058e1aa.jpg

So, I had to peek.

Look what's posted on the wall next to the stage:

52314296_zpsec87f666.jpg

That's the playlist for the Backyard BBQ.

If you want to have a fun party some time, you could download those songs onto your iPod, and go to town.

But I'd be ready to shoot myself if I had to listen to all these songs in one sitting:

52314297_zps221c1e89.jpg

Hey, is that stolen property from the Contemporary Resort there on the stage?:

52314299_zps52baebf1.jpg

As you may recall, the pavilion was shut down for a couple of months earlier this year while work was being done on it.  It doesn't look like any of that work was done on the stage:

52314301_zpsfb067bd4.jpg

Those drink machines in the back look new to me:

52314302_zps45a62f4f.jpg

Maybe I don't remember these because they wheel them in and out?:

52314303_zpsb9054773.jpg

I sure don't remember these signs they have on the tops of the machines:

52314304_zps19639cfb.jpg

52314305_zpsb473552c.jpg

I get the Bay Lake reference.  And I know that Walt Disney's middle name was Elias, so I assume that's what the second sign is referring to.

This ice cream freezer was plugged in and running, but it wasn't full of Mickey Premium Bars:

52314306_zps4c172ebb.jpg

This area back here used to be part of River Country, and it doesn't look much different now than it did then:

52314307_zps4531c945.jpg

Here's something new.  There used to be a tree here.  A River Birch.  With an identifying sign and everything.  Now, it's a nice drainage area:

52314308_zpsc3186214.jpg

The sun was hitting the weather vane up top just right:

52314309_zps9ef89dbd.jpg

Since I was back here, I figured I may as well take a look at the old rotting River Country attractions on the other side of the green fence.  So I did.

Here you go:

52314312_zpsee6f07db.jpg

52314313_zps3e10aff9.jpg

It looks like they've added some surplus lamp posts to the picnic table graveyard:

52314317_zps64264e10.jpg

Amazing (and not it a good way) :

52314324_zps16b12184.jpg

From here, it's time to go and order the chicken.  We're headed to do that next.

TCD

Hmmm.... I've been to the Backyard BBQ twice, but I don't remember if those machines are new... maybe because I drink the adult beverages that are included instead. :)

After looking at that music playlist, I am sure that several adult beverages were needed.

More excellent scenery. Thanks.

It was a hot day. It would have been nice if they would stocked the ice cream freezer for you.

It was a very hot day, and I had just done a lot of walking.

I should have seen if I could fit inside that ice cream freezer.  That would have been cool.

I don't think he gave them advance notice so that they could stock the freezer for him.  Surely if they new TCD was going to do a TR about them, they would have done better.

True.

But, I like to catch them off guard.

TCD

I have another announcement to make.

There's no way to sugar-coat it, so I'll give it to you straight.

I won't be posting another update until Monday.

I am going to be in Orlando tomorrow for the taping of the Tonight Show.  Look for me on TV with Jimmy Fallon tomorrow night.

Then on Friday, I'm going to visit the oldest TCD DD for her birthday. 

In Alabama.

So, see y'all on Monday.

TCD

I am going to be in Orlando tomorrow for the taping of the Tonight Show.  Look for me on TV with Jimmy Fallon tomorrow night.

TCD

That is so funny.  I just read that to my daughters and they were like 'noooo!'  They have been begging me to try to get tickets to a New York taping of his show for us.

Did you see the clip from last night, I think, where he rides the roller coaster with Kevin Hart?  That would totally be me on that coaster.

TCD

Say Hi to G-Pez and Bulldog for me.......