A Shining New Era is Tiptoeing Nearer for the TCD Gang

While you were at Starbucks did you happen to a get a photo of a Starbucks employee wearing the Starbucks name tag?

Next time you're in there, ask one of those Starbucks employees if their paychecks have the new or old Starbucks logo.

Here we go again. 

So just because the people working in the store are not employed by Starbucks corporately, means it's not a Starbucks? 

We've all eaten at franchised and/or licensed food establishments.  Let's use McDonald's as an example.  There are thousands of franchised and licensed McD's locations.  Let's say Andrew wanted to own a McDonald's.  He'd acquire the franchise, and likely set up a company to hold and operate that franchise.  He could call it TCD Enterprises.  His employees would get their paychecks from TCD Enterprises....not from McDonald's.  But the sign outside would not say TCD Enterprises.  You may choose to go eat there, but you would tell your wife you were eating at McDonalds's, not at TCD Enterprises.  The public would identify the restaurant as a McDonalds's, and for all intents and purposes it would be a McDonald's, even though legally it would be TCD Enterprises operating as McDonald's. 

How is the Main Street Bakery / Starbucks different?  Starbucks corporately has a mix of company owned, franchised, and licensed locations.  But to the public, are they not all Starbucks?  Does Joe Schmoe visting the MK go to get a Mocha from "that Disney coffee shop that sells Starbucks beverages"?  No, he goes to Starbucks. 

That is a common business model in the food and beverage industry.  I know you know that, and that you are just trying to get me riled up.  Well it worked.  Congratulations you old rabble rouser. 

By the way, Starbucks does have a company store on WDW property.   

http://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-opens-its-first-company-owned-store-at-walt-disney-world-resort

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo that makes me smile.   The backstory on this is that one of Twin #2's roommates ended up being a "friend of" Stitch.  She told Twin #2 to come visit her in Tomorrowland one day, and the

Leia is definitely following you. At least it is the 1983 version following you and not the 2014 version.

I'm in...  page 5 ?    I need to stop working and spend more time here...   Thanks for the princess photos. 

I know you know that, and that you are just trying to get me riled up.  Well it worked.  Congratulations you old rabble rouser. 

Who me? Trying to get you and TCD riled up, never.

I'm just a schmoe with a 9th grade academic education who doesn't know anything about business modules, or models.

I do like models though.

So let me get this straight.... You chose a microwaved Starbucks sandwich over a waffle sandwich from Sleepy Hollow?

Again, people.  Don't you realize what's going on?  TCD again is pulling the wool over your eyes.  He wanted to go to Starbucks for their hyped-up overpriced beverages.  Not the microwaved sammie.

That's why they came out with 2 beverages, one for him and another for Twin2.  There was no screw-up with the order.  This is intentional to get you to drink the Kool Aid.........

Oh, crap.  Realized I got caught up in the silly banter and forgot to respond on the last installment.  Time to go back and re-read and reply.  TTFN

Starbucks.  I tend to avoid it.  But, I tend to avoid all the coffee joints.

Elsa?  Dude?  I'm currently leaning towards no.

Bring on the people watching.  One of my best parts of a TCD, or any, TR.

Here we go again. 

So just because the people working in the store are not employed by Starbucks corporately, means it's not a Starbucks? 

We've all eaten at franchised and/or licensed food establishments.  Let's use McDonald's as an example.  There are thousands of franchised and licensed McD's locations.  Let's say Andrew wanted to own a McDonald's.  He'd acquire the franchise, and likely set up a company to hold and operate that franchise.  He could call it TCD Enterprises.  His employees would get their paychecks from TCD Enterprises....not from McDonald's.  But the sign outside would not say TCD Enterprises.  You may choose to go eat there, but you would tell your wife you were eating at McDonalds's, not at TCD Enterprises.  The public would identify the restaurant as a McDonalds's, and for all intents and purposes it would be a McDonald's, even though legally it would be TCD Enterprises operating as McDonald's. 

How is the Main Street Bakery / Starbucks different?  Starbucks corporately has a mix of company owned, franchised, and licensed locations.  But to the public, are they not all Starbucks?  Does Joe Schmoe visting the MK go to get a Mocha from "that Disney coffee shop that sells Starbucks beverages"?  No, he goes to Starbucks. 

That is a common business model in the food and beverage industry.  I know you know that, and that you are just trying to get me riled up.  Well it worked.  Congratulations you old rabble rouser. 

By the way, Starbucks does have a company store on WDW property.   

http://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-opens-its-first-company-owned-store-at-walt-disney-world-resort

Good post, Dave.

I am going to contact Starbucks and see if they will let me open one near the Meadow Pool pavilion.  Maybe if I put churros and tacos on the menu, I'd make a mint.

Who me? Trying to get you and TCD riled up, never.

I'm just a schmoe with a 9th grade academic education who doesn't know anything about business modules, or models.

I do like models though.

I am glad that you weren't trying to rile me up, because you didn't.

I get it- that place I got the Starbucks breakfast sandwich in the Starbucks paper bag is not a Starbucks.

Lou, TCD, Dave.... Do I have to send all of you to the corner? ???

I think you should just send Lou.

Starbucks instead of the actual MSB still SMB.

You can say that again.

You can say that again.

....in the padded room.

Good idea.  For Lou, that is.

So let me get this straight.... You chose a microwaved Starbucks sandwich over a waffle sandwich from Sleepy Hollow?

Also, did you know there's an Instagram and/or twitter of Starbucks name fails? Some are pretty funny.

I didn't know there was a new waffle sandwich at Sleepy Hollow.  That definitely would have been considered had I known.

No, I didn't know about the Starbucks name fails hashtag.  Maybe I'll look for that sometime.

I am SO EXCITED that you were there for the 24 hour event!!! I got lots of Facebook updates from Disney during the event and even mentioned to my husband how I "wished TCD was there so I could see some pics of what people were wearing!!"  My wish came true!!! Looking forward to hearing more about your day!

Glad you like the photos of what people were wearing.

I have a bunch more of that type of photo coming up in the next update.

OK caught back up.

I am so glad I was able to make a visit over to the Poly during WWW. I had never been there before. So thankful that I was able to see the beautiful lobby prior to this reconstruction.

I'm glad you got to see the Polynesian Lobby in its original form too.  I'm sure the new one will be nice, but the original was awesome.

I enjoyed the update. I am torn on Elsa's gender. It could be a man but I'm not sure a man could survive walking the park for 24 hours in those shoes.

That's a good point.  The feet and legs don't look like a guy's.  But, they could be.  Either way- you're right- those are not sensible shoes for a long day/night in the park.

TCD

Again, people.  Don't you realize what's going on?  TCD again is pulling the wool over your eyes.  He wanted to go to Starbucks for their hyped-up overpriced beverages.  Not the microwaved sammie.

That's why they came out with 2 beverages, one for him and another for Twin2.  There was no screw-up with the order.  This is intentional to get you to drink the Kool Aid.........

Oh, crap.  Realized I got caught up in the silly banter and forgot to respond on the last installment.  Time to go back and re-read and reply.  TTFN

Busted.  Not really.  There really was a screw up and a free drink.

Starbucks.  I tend to avoid it.  But, I tend to avoid all the coffee joints.

Elsa?  Dude?  I'm currently leaning towards no.

Bring on the people watching.  One of my best parts of a TCD, or any, TR.

I actually looked at that Elsa again after the shoe comment, above, and was leaning toward not a dude too, but then there was the post below about the Adam's apple.  Now, I don't know.

Are you on Instagram? That's a people watching parade from home! All you need is a good # and you've got hours of entertainment.

We should post the occasional hashtag when we find a good one.

Been to the Starbucks in DTD. It's really nice and yeah I did drink the kool-aid....

Elsa is a dude-look he's got an Adam's apple.

What Starbucks?  There are no Starbucks at WDW.  That place in Downtown Disney is not a Starbucks.  Did you look at the nametags?  Disney!

I did look for the Adam's apple, and I'm not sure that it's really a dude.  But, there is enough of a question that I would stay away.

You can say that again.

You can say . . .

Well, actually, I think you made your point.

The people watching photos are always appreciated. I need my share of comic relief.

Glad you like them, I have some more to share in the next update.

TCD

If it is a dude, either he actually grew his hair that long or he does professional theatrical makeup... that would have to be done with glued on bits of crepe hair, perfectly color matched to the wig, and blended to the bare forehead. I'm more inclined to think it's a chick with some throat fat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is a dude, either he actually grew his hair that long or he does professional theatrical makeup... that would have to be done with glued on bits of crepe hair, perfectly color matched to the wig, and blended to the bare forehead. I'm more inclined to think it's a chick with some throat fat. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The debate continues.  I have to put some weight on Santa's opinion.  He of anyone should know about costumes and such.

TCD

The last update ended with us standing along Main Street, enjoying our not-Starbucks Main Street Bakery Breakfast Artisan sandwiches.  Yes, they were served in Starbucks paper bags, and were identical to the items served in Starbucks stores throughout the world, but they were not, I repeat, not Starbucks breakfast sandwiches.  There is no Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom, so they couldn't have been Starbucks breakfast sandwiches.

I didn't know that this was going to turn out to be an excellent spot for people watching, but it was.

Along came the horse and wagon, and walking aside it were three young ladies dressed in some kind of costumes.  The one in back clearly is a female version of Kristoff, from Frozen, complete with a stuffed Sven the reindeer there in her bag.  The two in front, I'm not so sure about.  Are they some kind of version of Anna and Elsa?  The colors of the outfit on the girl in blue seem to match Elsa.  And speaking of impractical footwear, check out the boots:

52314109_zps0a70a931.jpg

Have you heard that our good buddy Lou is thinking of hanging up his Bus Pilot gig?  On another thread, he posted that he has applied for a transfer, and asked about what possible new employment positions he should consider.  As I understand it, he has already picked one.  Which is too bad, because he chose his new role before I could post my suggestion, which was inspired by this photo:

52314110_zps18e97b85.jpg

That double decker bus was getting around this morning:

52314111_zps709927a5.jpg

Way across the street over there is a girl in a pretty good Pegasus costume.  I assume that's a nod to the Disney Hercules movie:

52314112_zps86d2dee2.jpg

Here's a pretty good group.  It's Karl, Russell, and Kevin from UP!:

52314113_zpsb2b311bd.jpg

Right about now, we finished up with our breakfast, and headed down the street toward the part of the Emporium closest to the entrance.  That's usually where they have all the t-shirts.   As we headed that way, we came across this guy:

52314114_zps3e15289a.jpg

52314115_zpsfb9110b1.jpg

I believe that he's Stinky Pete from Toy Story.

Now, let's stop here a minute.  What's the deal with this guy?  As far as we could tell, he was what we call a Solo Traveler.  That is, he was by himself.  So, an older gentleman just up and decides to get all dressed up like that and go to the Magic Kingdom?   That's a little odd, is it not?  I should have asked him what his deal was.

Anyway, it's a nice costume.

From here, we ducked in to the Emporium, where Twin #2 was able to use her brand new CM ID to score a 20% discount off of our t-shirts.  Nice.  And, once the CM helping us found out that Twin #2 was a CM, she went overboard with the niceness.  We had a very nice chat with the lady, and she was very enthusiastic and supportive of the College Program.  That was a really nice encounter.

We decided to duck in to the restrooms there by the Fire Station to change in to our new t-shirts.  After seeing the costumes coming in, we decided that I wouldn't put on my white Olaf t-shirt, and we would be more low key with our lame attempt to Disneybound.

As we headed up the street in our brand new t-shirts to cash in our first FP+, we ran smack in to Orange Bird guy.  And we stopped to chat.  And get a photo:

52314116_zpsf39a3efd.jpg

This guy is a BFD (Big Fortin' Deal) on the Disney Parks Blog.  See here:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/happy-little-orange-bird-apple-lands-at-magic-kingdom-park/

dsc812221-613x407.jpg

As I mentioned, Twin #1 (the one who was in France at the time) will one day be in charge of the Disney Parks Blog, so this networking was helpful.  The guy was impressed that we recognized him.

Continuing up Main Street, we came across a PhotoPass photographer who was really going to extra mile for a group:

52314117_zps45842a4c.jpg

He had set up a shot with these two girls seated and looking at the castle, with a stuffed Mickey between them.  He was waiting for the perfect shot, and stopped to let the horse and wagon pass:

52314118_zps9c388463.jpg

Then he had to wait for the guy with the rolling manure barrel to get out of the shot:

52314119_zpsa13f0bde.jpg

I had observed this PhotoPass guy earlier, and he seemed like a great and enthusiastic guy.  I took a photo of him so I could ask Devores if he knows him.  So, Dave, if you're reading along- do you know this guy?:

52314120_zps96869593.jpg

As mentioned, we reluctantly had to leave the fun on Main Street to make it to our first FP+ appointment.  In the weeks leading up to this event, I kept on tweaking our FP+ reservations to try to make them just right.  One day, when I was checking for alternative times for one of our reserved attractions, I was surprised to see Anna and Elsa FP+'s pop-up.  I don't know if you know about the furor surrounding this meet and greet, but those FP+'s are next to impossible to get, and the stand-by times are unbelievable.  Remember how we were dressed as the sidekicks from Frozen?  Twin #2 wanted to get a photo of us with Anna and Elsa.  I had told her a while back that there was no way, but then these FP+'s popped up.  I think what happened is that they decided to extend the hours for this meet and greet, and I just happened to be on the MDE site when they released new FP+'s.  So, I got us two.  Twin #2 was happy.

The TCD twins had already met Anna and Elsa back when they were meeting in Norway in Epcot, but none of us had met them in Princess Fairytale Hall.  So, this was big.  We zipped right in with our FP+'s, and got to watch the guests in front of us take forever taking selfies with the girls:

52314121_zpsd4ae65bf.jpg

I am wondering if this selfie thing will soon be restricted or banned?  It really holds up the line.

Then it was our turn.  I don't like to meet characters that talk to you.  It's awkward.  Here we have college girls in costumes pretending to be Disney princesses, and acting "in character."  It's weird and awkward to me. Since we had on the Olaf and Sven headgear, the conversation got pretty strange.  The were talking to us like we were Sven and Olaf, and I guess we were supposed to play along.  Sorry, the whole thing made me uncomfortable.  I think the photo reflects that:

aephoto_zpsb2f93395.jpg

Elsa obviously did not like me. But, remember, she has a frozen heart.

Or, do you think she was a dude?

The other funny thing that goes on here, is that poor Aurora has to stand off to the side while all the foolishness is going on with Anna and Elsa, and guests seem reluctant to even stop and get a photo with her.  We stopped, and the girl in the costume blabbered on about how it was lucky that Samson wasn't around, because he would want to eat my nose.  I had no idea what she was talking about, and said let's get our photo taken and get out of here.  I guess that photo is on Twin #2's phone, because I don't have it. But, I was able to swipe this one from the PhotoPass site.  Look how Aurora was all over me.  She was not a dude.  So, take that Elsa:

aurora1_zpsf5b13cfb.jpg

The Anna and Elsa meet and greet conveniently dumps guests into the Sir Mickey's gift shop, where they have a wide variety of Frozen merchandise for sale. This t-shirt would have been a good one for Twin #2 and I to have worn:

52314122_zpsefd26d25.jpg

I took this photo in the gift shop to use in the "Where in the World" thread here on ff.net, but I decided it was too hard:

52314123_zpsccd6f59d.jpg

That was on a door in the shop.  Do you think it is from a Disney movie?  If so, which one?

From here, we decided to head toward Tomorrowland and see what we could do there.  The stand-by wait time for Anna and Elsa was 2 1/2 hours, so that was a good use of a FP+: 

52314124_zps95a7918e.jpg

The stand-by wait time posted at the Mine Train entrance was 45 minutes:

52314125_zps45c16f95.jpg

But, there was a CM at the end of the growing line, which was all the way down by the tea cups, with a sign saying that the wait from that point was 60 minutes:

52314127_zps88b29a1e.jpg

The actual end of the line was well past that CM, toward the big signs at the entrance of Storybook Circus:

52314128_zps7d6be726.jpg

52314129_zps46ce1c22.jpg

It was a good thing we already rode the Mine Train- that was starting to look like a mess.

Now here we are by the Launching Pad quick serve location.  We saw a group sitting there in costumes.  At first we couldn't figure out what they were supposed to be, then they got up, and we could see that the girl there on the left is supposed to be Ariel, the guy in red is Sebastian, and the girl over to the right is supposed to be Flounder:

52314130_zps3d4161d8.jpg

I had made us a FP+ reservation for Space Mountain, but we had a few minutes to kill before we could use it, so we decided to take a ride on the Peoplemover.  And here we go:

52314133_zps010e6042.jpg

52314134_zps0eab4c0b.jpg

It was only 8:30 am, but Twin #2 was already drooping:

52314135_zps3ec1888c.jpg

It was not a good choice on her part to not get any sleep the night before.  This was probably going to require an adjustment to our plans.

The Peoplemover gave us a good view of the mess they have hidden behind the walls across from the Plaza restaurant:

52314136_zpsebcb8e6e.jpg

52314137_zpse53deb32.jpg

As best I can tell, the moat is going to be filled in there, and it's going to become a new place where you can stand in a crowd behind guests with iPads and kids on their shoulders and try to see the projections on the castle and fireworks.  Yay!

Well, this isn't a logical place to stop this update, because I have a few more photos from the Peoplemover.  But, I can't share them in this update because we have reached the photo limit.

So, we will stop here.

Up next, we will finish our ride around Tomorrowland, ride Space, and then move on to a new location.

Yes, there will be more photos of costumed guests.

TCD